M2P RC major battery issues
1678 24 2018-11-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
milint33w
lvl.1
United States

I am wondering why there arent people screaming about this all over the youtube videos. My Mavic 2 Pro controller can get through two 30 minutes flights, at best before I have to charge the controller again. On top of this, the fly more kit doesn't come with any way to charge the thing that dies first? On top of that, there is no option to prevent the controller for draining itself as fast as possible into my phone that can run 10 times longer on half the charge...

I'm probably returning this. It's unusable for my purposes. I bought 3 batteries because I need them. I didn't imagine that the controller would run out of charge before I even got through the 3. Phantom pro 4 can do at least 6 in my testing.
2018-11-2
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

You could get some kind of power bank to recharge the controller.  We should be permitted to stop the charging of the cell/tablet.
2018-11-2
Use props
Red Racer 1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 39006 ft
United States

I feel you pain here,  I was using my old note 3 for my monitor and the battery is pretty old so I could literally watch the battery in my controller die quickly,  I bit the bullet the other day and took delivery of a Crystal Sky today, It's not cheap but I think it's going to work for me.
2018-11-2
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

That is odd: I have flown all four of my batteries more than once and forget to charge the remote and flew again the next day.
2018-11-3
Use props
dronybaloney
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I also flew 3 batteries with one rc charge . And even had some juice left. Indeed maybe  a bad rc bat.
2018-11-3
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

I confirm, there must be something wrong with the RC battery.
2018-11-3
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You can stop your RC charing your IOS device in the app.
2018-11-3
Use props
DJIJAKOB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 740577 ft
  • >>>
Norway

There must be something wrong with your RC battery. My RC easily lasts for 4-5 batteries depending on temperature. And yes the Mavic 2 does come with a charger for the RC. On the side of your Mavic 2 Battery Charger there is a tab which reveals a MicroUSB cable to charge your RC. Or just use the included USB Type C to MicroUSB adapter.
2018-11-3
Use props
saviour
Second Officer
Flight distance : 604203 ft
Germany

I have the exact same thing and I made a post about it yesterday. The thing is that most android phones have fast charging nowadays, which you can't turn off. This drains the RC battery so fast.

DJI just has to implement the no charging feature that exists in the iOS version of DJI Go in the Android version.
2018-11-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Two things, turn of charging your phone in your app, if you bought flymore then you can use small battery connector with cable to charge your RC from one of your batteries, say for instance if you have 20% left on battery you can connect to side mini USB, to charge RC, you can at the same time use bottom usb connection to fly, so you can charge your RC while flying,
I could get about two hours minimum from fully charged RC.
2018-11-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ff22 Posted at 11-2 16:29
You could get some kind of power bank to recharge the controller.  We should be permitted to stop the charging of the cell/tablet.

Just switch charge off.
2018-11-3
Use props
saviour
Second Officer
Germany

You can't in Android! People need to start reading!
2018-11-3
Use props
bbloomquist
lvl.4
Flight distance : 878852 ft
United States

After three batteries I still have half the charge left in the RC
2018-11-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

saviour Posted at 11-3 05:46
You can't in Android! People need to start reading!

I was answering OP, I gave him two options, I did read the post and if you read it you will see no mention of Android.
2018-11-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

All these hacks and work arounds, for a problem that DJI needs to address.  
2018-11-3
Use props
ARM505
lvl.1
Flight distance : 42175 ft

South Africa

1) With Android devices, the RC will attempt to charge the device, and there is no option to turn it off in the DJI GO app.
2) DJI claims this is an Android problem and that they cannot program their app around this. I cannot comment on the validity of this.
3) During charging on an Android device, the USB options will provide various options (for example, get charged, data mode on, charge the device plugged into the phone etc). None of these have any effect, and the device will always reset immediately, letting the RC charge the device again.
4) 'Fast Charging' can be turned off in settings on Android devices. This must be done BEFORE plugging the RC into the device, as the option cannot be changed while the device is plugged in. Disabling fast charging greatly reduces the output rate from the RC and allows it to retain it's charge for longer.

That is my experience on a Samsung S9+
2018-11-3
Use props
xagoras
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1357589 ft
Greece

Today I tested the 2 new batteries I got from the Fly More Kit. Now I have 4 in total. I use a Samsung S7 as a screen, and it's battery has seen it's better days long time ago, so it drains a lot of energy from the RC while flying.

I still managed to fly all 4 of them with around 18% left on the RC. With a new battery in the Samsung I reckon I could easily go for 6 flights.
2018-11-3
Use props
milint33w
lvl.1
United States

xagoras Posted at 11-3 14:15
Today I tested the 2 new batteries I got from the Fly More Kit. Now I have 4 in total. I use a Samsung S7 as a screen, and it's battery has seen it's better days long time ago, so it drains a lot of energy from the RC while flying.

I still managed to fly all 4 of them with around 18% left on the RC. With a new battery in the Samsung I reckon I could easily go for 6 flights.

Thank you providing this performance reference. I am going to do a bit more testing and likely look into getting a replacement rc. It is possible I have a bad one.
2018-11-3
Use props
saviour
Second Officer
Germany

ARM505 Posted at 11-3 11:36
1) With Android devices, the RC will attempt to charge the device, and there is no option to turn it off in the DJI GO app.
2) DJI claims this is an Android problem and that they cannot program their app around this. I cannot comment on the validity of this.
3) During charging on an Android device, the USB options will provide various options (for example, get charged, data mode on, charge the device plugged into the phone etc). None of these have any effect, and the device will always reset immediately, letting the RC charge the device again.

To 4.) That's exactly what I am searching for. Can't find the option in my settings anywhere, though. Could you please tell me where to find it? I have a Huawei P20 Pro. Couldn't even find it on google.
2018-11-4
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

saviour Posted at 11-4 00:17
To 4.) That's exactly what I am searching for. Can't find the option in my settings anywhere, though. Could you please tell me where to find it? I have a Huawei P20 Pro. Couldn't even find it on google.

Some of the posts above explain that you cannot turn off the RC charging an ANDROID device.  It is an ANDROID issue.  One suggestion above was that rooting might allow you to change the way it works.  The other suggestion was to make sure your phone/tablet is already fully charged so that the RC won't necessarily start off charging it.
2018-11-4
Use props
ARM505
lvl.1
Flight distance : 42175 ft

South Africa

saviour Posted at 11-4 00:17
To 4.) That's exactly what I am searching for. Can't find the option in my settings anywhere, though. Could you please tell me where to find it? I have a Huawei P20 Pro. Couldn't even find it on google.

To recap, Point 4 was regarding turning off fast charging. I can only advise how I did it on my Samsung S9+

The menu order was:

Settings -> Device Maintenance -> Battery -> Advanced settings (found under the three dots in the top right of the screen) -> 'Fast Cable Charging" (turn toggle off).

As mentioned, this can only be done when no cable is plugged into the phone.
2018-11-4
Use props
saviour
Second Officer
Germany

ARM505 Posted at 11-4 09:46
To recap, Point 4 was regarding turning off fast charging. I can only advise how I did it on my Samsung S9+

The menu order was:

I tried to. But I don't have this option on my phone (Huawei P20 Pro)
2018-11-4
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-11-5
Use props
Gobopolice
lvl.3
Flight distance : 926745 ft
Australia

I have a better solution LOL I own  2 RC Transmitters so I just relink the 2nd one when the first one is going flat !!!!  I fly 4 bats and only then is it getting near 10%,
2018-11-5
Use props
milint33w
lvl.1
United States

I ran a proper test flight with dronedeploy on 133 acres yesterday in a steady 10mph wind and about 50 degrees. It seems like the RC burns battery faster when the drone is sitting on the ground than when it is in the air. I got through all 3 batteries and had about 30% RC battery left, so it is acceptable. I also had excellent performance from the drone batteries. The RC was active for over 1 hour. I am still going to modify some usb wires to prevent charging.
2018-11-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules