DJI DECIEVED US!!!!!!!!
12Next >
6378 44 2015-6-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
annl
New

Canada

After some friends and i purchased a Phantom 3 advanced, and a inspire were told,....
OH BUY THE WAY YOU CANT GO HIGHER THAN 500M or 1640 feet !!!!!!!!!!
4 days waiting on hold hours at a time to hear about FAA REGULATIONS! There's nothing you can do... it's not or fault ...
Understandable about the Regulations .... What we can't understand is the deception!
DJI KEPT IT QUIET, MADE NO ATTEMPT TO ADVERTISE ABOUT A CAP AT 500m
I guess when your building something bigger and better you dont want to reduce sales by mentioning our latest product has a limitation...
DJI should of been CLEAR ABOUT THE LIMITATIONS  instead of POLICING US......... BE HONEST WITH US!!!!!!!!!!!!!
we are the consumers of your products and are the one's spending thousands of dollars
Does one need to go more than 1640 feet all the time? NO! but its nice to know YOU CAN when the situation calls for...and yes there are plenty of places free and clear of airports
DONT TELL US ITS IN THE MANUAL AFTER WE SPENT THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!

2015-6-2
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

There's a button below the 500m limit that will toggle it off, if you choose not to be limited.
My bad, l thought if the distance limit was removed and atti toggled you could unrestrict your height. Not so apparently.

Rant on.
2015-6-2
Use props
john.lambert4
lvl.3

Australia

Question - why would you want to fly higher than 500m above take off height?  That's pretty high!  Obviously at this level you have commercial and civil aviation traffic flying around that you may not be aware of, so these rules are in place for your safety and the safety of others.  Sure it might be a novelty to fly higher, but at what price?
2015-6-2
Use props
dperlmutter
lvl.2

United States

Just return them when they come, thatll solve your issues.
2015-6-2
Use props
jeezcak3
lvl.1

United States

I was flying at 100M and I thought it was already too high. Are you film dronzilla vs drone overlord or something?

But we definitely need someone dig into codes in Android or jail-broken iOS and report back to the community.
2015-6-2
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

john.lambert4@o Posted at 2015-6-3 09:05
Question - why would you want to fly higher than 500m above take off height?  That's pretty high!  O ...

I flew my P2V+ 3500 feet ONCE. I was a nervous wreck and it took FOREVER to return. 1500 feet will burn a great deal of battery and limit your time for moving around. I didn't know you could turn off the restriction but won't anyways. As John said, commercial planes descend for many many miles in that area and I would not want to be the cause of many lives being lost due to illegal flying in the first place. I do not see any deceit and would not be mad if I were you. Soon there will be restrictions placed and more no fly zones implemented and DJI appears to be upfront in compliance. I am guessing the FAA will be more likely to give DJI a free pass for this.
2015-6-2
Use props
outdoorworld_70
lvl.1

Canada

I had the same problem just received the phantom 3 and was all pumped to film a mountain at 3000feet which is in a secluded area where no planes fly. So I took it up and at 500 meters and the dji app said that Ive reached the max limit. I am very disappointed with the phantom 3 because if I would knew that there was 500meter limit I would of been happier to get the phantom 2 or even build my own. It would of been nice if dji told the public that there was 500meter limit because I can't even use the phantom for what I intended to use it for.
2015-6-2
Use props
mswall
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39695 ft
United States

So...  you're mad at DJI for NOT TELLING YOU ABOUT YOUR OWN FREEKING LAWS.  Shame on them.  Strike that....  you.  So wonderful reading posts by those who are being potty trained.
2015-6-2
Use props
salota8550 This user has been deleted
Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-6-2
Use props
Robharris07
lvl.2

United States

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-6-3 09:12
I flew my P2V+ 3500 feet ONCE. I was a nervous wreck and it took FOREVER to return. 1500 feet will ...

Is this a dumb question? What if you drove to the top of a 3k mountain. Can you then fly it 500m above that point? Or is it 500m from sea level?
2015-6-2
Use props
Total
Second Officer
Flight distance : 336480 ft
Canada

500 Meters above the level you start at ...
2015-6-2
Use props
outdoorworld_70
lvl.1

Canada

Well dji should of told us that 500 meters was the limit for the phantom because I am sure there are many out there disappointed with this new limit. I want to control my phantom and I want to tell it how high and far I want to go and not be limited.  And  mswall thanks for coming out but the 500meter limit is set worldwide and  last time I checked the p2 can go as high as you please even though there are laws. So thanks dji for scamming us with this 500meter limit
2015-6-2
Use props
C17Jamie
lvl.1
Flight distance : 348022 ft
United States

wow...            
2015-6-2
Use props
Mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

Do you want to know what I did before buying my P3P?  I downloaded the iOS and android apps and played with them, you can see every setting without having a p3 around...

I will trade you my F450 with h3-3d gimble for your P3.. It's setup for the ex-uhf system and has 2.4ghz 700mw immersionrc vtx.  With the immersionrc vtx and patch antenna and 2 4 cell 5000mah loops in parallel I have no problems flying at 500 meters high and 8 km away with perfect video and control.  You will need a go pro for the gimble though and the go pro 4 black works fine on it..  E300 propulsion system with the 9450 props it could easily film any mountain you wasn't it to..  It has naza-m v2 for a flight controller too..  Never had any issues with it, and has always flown flawlessly for me...
2015-6-2
Use props
john.lambert4
lvl.3

Australia

Robharris07 Posted at 2015-6-3 09:59
Is this a dumb question? What if you drove to the top of a 3k mountain. Can you then fly it 500m a ...

500m above the point of take-off (above ground level).  
2015-6-2
Use props
Glockdude
New

Canada

Cool aid anyone?
I can't believe what I'm actually reading. Not the comment but some replies are so text book from the nanny chapter.  I came here today because I wanted to purchase a phantom in the morning....
I did not know about a ceiling and I'm pissed that someone is telling me no DJI policing me on what I can and cannot do!  It's up to me what height I want operate at my drone at.  If I want to break the law that's my business.  I guess everyone here should return their cars cause the max speedimit is 55mph I. Most places and some it's 75 but guess what my car can accelerate past that... My bike does 313kmh it's my busines if I want to operate it at that speed not BMW!  I can operate my drone at altitudes that will make the moron with sunglasses piss himself without endangering no one, but yet I can't because someone said so, and it the manufacture doing it not the enforcing agency.  People there is a diffrence.  If I want to climb my drone to 2000ft and loose it that's my business not DJI!!! There are projects that I had planned with the new toy which I can't do, not because it's illegal or unsafe but because some twit behind the desk thinks it is, oh because some other moron did something.  
When a drunk driver kills someone who or what gets blamed? It'd not the car or the booze it's the driver. Keep drining the coolAid it makes u cool.  As for the OP thanks for the post you just saved me some hard earned cash, the p3 is no longer on my shopping let for the morning.  Oh DJI you should put a warning on the box it's yor duty to inform us on the pakage and not for us to find the information and anyone who doesn't agree your just ingnorante, DJI is not going to give you an award for backing them up.  Not bashing the product I'm bashing the marketing behind it because yes it's deciving!  Its illegal to shoot a person but I still own firearms.  The manufacture does not have a say in what I want to shoot or whom its the the laws where I reside that has that say and up to me to abide by them.  You really need to understand that your giving up your rights. Does DJI have good intentions I believe so but they are going about it the wrong way. Its their product in the end and they can see fit how to sell it but us as consumers have rights too, we have a right to know its limitatioins upfront and not to have to access their website and search for the answers.  
2015-6-2
Use props
Glockdude
New

Canada

In the end the OP is correct they need to tell us upfront.  Oh well I've got enough drones I just wanted another you know latest and greatest.  Ill keep my P1 and my all my P2s which means Ill still go the shop in the morning but Ill get that Goblin 700 I've been staring at for the past couple months.
oh wait wait wait lol

"life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your going to get"  
Bull caca  I know whats in that box of chocolates, it tells me.... Hey OP guess that box never told you ahhhh?

2015-6-2
Use props
JKT
lvl.4

United States

I am Currently taking pilot lesson so that when i do get exempt by the fAA i might be able to fly the drone instead of hiring some one else to do it for me. I completely understand the hight limitation. If you are on an airplane and you get an encounter with a drone you wont have much time to make a move and let alone see such a small flying machine. The thought is scary! Plus honestly if you are shooting something you don't really need to be so high! It seems like a joke but its not! It's people lifes hat you are dealing with. We don't need any more negative attention towards this community. I have seen some videos of people flying way beyond the 3,ooo feet. Don't get the purpose of it. I think you should had done a bit more research before buying the bird. They do have a chat line if you have question. Before i bought my drone i asked a lot of questions. Plus I see new people that dont own a drone and they ask for advice before buying the inspire 1 or P3.  We have to be more realistic on our expectation. I know DJI is not the perfect company but i think they do well by placing a hight limit for safety. I am sure the FAA will make it a must for other companies in the future.
2015-6-2
Use props
nomad7
lvl.1
United States

They should have said there was a ceiling of 500m, i thought it had 2000. That could be called false advertising IMO
2015-6-2
Use props
mswall
lvl.4
United States

Glock.  I'm actually glad guys like you are limited by the new hardware - and a little by the fact that YOU DIDN'T KNOW.
2015-6-2
Use props
nomad7
lvl.1
United States

Would you like to buy a gallon of milk? Or would you like to think your buying a gallon of milk..
2015-6-2
Use props
sheinisch
lvl.1

Germany

Well, I would not like to buy a gun which cannot be used by kids. Kids should never use a gun, but it feels better to know they could in some cases...
2015-6-2
Use props
mackie1604
lvl.2

United States

This thread is stupid.  Get over it.  500m is insanely high.  The Winds at that height can easily flip your drone over too.....and you can't see it past 1400-1500 feet anyways....which is a FAA violation as well.

Be smart.  So what, they didn't explictly put on there that it was 500m.  Do all cars advertise "TOP SPEED 150mph, but governed at 125"

Get your P3P, have fun, and quit being silly.
2015-6-2
Use props
mswall
lvl.4
United States

nomad7 Posted at 2015-6-3 13:02
Would you like to buy a gallon of milk? Or would you like to think your buying a gallon of milk..

(. _______________________________ .)
2015-6-2
Use props
nomad7
lvl.1
United States

Who cares, just say whatever you want.. no ones money is at stake

Simple principal: Not safe to fly over 500m agreed, DJI should have disclosed the limit and they did not. Clear FACT, many people like myself were shocked to discover it since that was a big part of what sold us.

Its a PRINCIPAL of business ethics that's being discussed.
2015-6-2
Use props
young.selina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 45226 ft
United Kingdom

If I walk over a rope bridge I'm happy to have the hand rail on either side to restrict my path.. similarly I'm happy to have sensible restrictions on my P3 so as not to endanger it, me or anybody/anything else. Besides, images taken above 500m can be obtained via google maps - see below.
GMaps.jpg
2015-6-2
Use props
nomad7
lvl.1
United States

its should be written like this

Max range 2000m *500m altitude limit.

That would have solved everything
2015-6-2
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

nomad7 Posted at 2015-6-3 14:56
its should be written like this

Max range 2000m *500m altitude limit.

Page 40 in the P3 manual clearly states the flight limitations. This has been available for months. I actually read it prior to ordering. As I stated earlier, I flew to 3k once and decided it was much higher than I ever intended to film. I understand that someone may want to go higher and farther but they(DJI) are trying to stay in business by not angering the powers that be. Look at it like this, at least they didn't limit it to 400 feet which is what FFA in the US dictates. It could have been MUCH worse.
2015-6-2
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

Such multicopters are not made for such heights and to be honest, the perspective from 600m above the ground is already known from planes and google earth. The thing those drones shine is the perspective in lets say 50m above the ground where no plane can go and helicopters would produce to much wind
2015-6-2
Use props
nurzia
lvl.2

United States

500m? Why you need to so higher?  Another babyboy with a new toy. There too many brainless guys around for electronic devices like that... I'm sad
2015-6-2
Use props
outdoorworld_70
lvl.1

Canada

And that's the problem with this world you get raped and all you do is accept it. And what's with this isn't 500meters enough???????? Who are you to limit to me and FYI your not getting brownie points by sticking up for dji
2015-6-3
Use props
Glockdude
New

Canada

I'm surprise to be truthful that the coolAid is that good.  Let's try it like this instead so it doesn't sound like a pissing match.  As a pilot I'm in full agreement I don't want this plastic or any other toy I. The vicinity of my aircraft especially on the takeoff or landing roll there's enough hazards already to contend to.   We all agree it's dangerous and not a smart thing to do.  
A lot of people see something and rush out to buy it, go to the store pick up the box glance at the specs and impulse buy.  Ethically the manufacture has to put its limitations on it.  You buy a hard drive or usb stick it's stated on it its size, and we don't have to research it or download the instructions.  
Also to add to this fury going on the fail safe Altitude limit imposed is a feel good rule for the company and not end user, it's a legal disclaimer incase of legal backlash nothing more. It's limitations does nothing for safety of all aviation but a tad for a few.  There is multiple area that I can go fly a drone which will put me in direct traffic pattern.  The imposed limit does t restrict me I restrict myself from doing something unsafe or dangerous to others.  
In addition if I want to photograph the side of a 2500ft clif do yo expect me to climb a thousand feet to reestablish a new base?  
The perspective from 50,  100, 1500 is different and if we would have limited ourselfs back then you wouldn't have the Google perspective either since 50ft is good enough.
2015-6-3
Use props
Glockdude
New

Canada

Glockdude Posted at 2015-6-3 22:29
I'm surprise to be truthful that the coolAid is that good.  Let's try it like this instead so it doe ...

Like I said I own the products and will continue to do so, I'm not bashing.
Either way I brought home a Goblin today and a  trex150 as an impulse buy. The same manner a person could do with a p3....
Happy flying folks.
2015-6-3
Use props
nomad7
lvl.1
United States

Height limit should be on this page http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-3/spec under remote controller -> max distance
2015-6-3
Use props
badandy
lvl.1

United States

Simple solution.  Just return your drone and buy something else.  Vote with your wallet if you don't like it.
To me, its no big deal.
2015-6-3
Use props
itsxtony
lvl.2

United States

dammit that 500m cap. that means i cant take a picture of the hubble space telescope
2015-6-3
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

jeezcak3 Posted at 2015-6-3 09:10
I was flying at 100M and I thought it was already too high. Are you film dronzilla vs drone overlord ...

2015-6-3
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

Have you seen the proposed UAV laws for Canada...starting on page 12

Transport Canada
2015-6-3
Use props
hasanahmad
lvl.1

United States

OP should grow up.

500 meters is more than enough unless your plan is to put passenger aircraft near airports in danger OR putting cesna and low altitude aircrafts in danger .

It only takes ONE event and you can kiss even 400 feet good bye.
2015-6-3
Use props
jon.godfrey
lvl.3

United Kingdom

nomad7 Posted at 2015-6-3 13:02

A US Gallon or an Imperial Gallon?  ;-)
2015-6-3
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules