Tablet and WiFi
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Flatline74
lvl.2
Flight distance : 259 ft
United States

I am still on the fence with the Phantom 3 or a 500q.  I have a Ipad Air, well my wife does and I have a ipad4.  So, I am going to purchase a tablet solely for the Phantom. Would it be best to get a tablet with a data plan? If so, how much data would I end up using with frequent use of Phantom only.  What would be the lowest cost carrier and tablet I can use?
2015-6-2
Use props
PhantomHelp.com
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

You really only need a data plan if you're going to stream video to YouTube. Otherwise, you could get a Wi-Fi only tablet and cache the map images at home before you go flying.

I decided to get the cellular model of the iPad Mini 2, but I did not activate the cell service. I did that for two reasons. First, only the cellular models have GPS modules built-in. You don't need GPS in order to use the DJI Pilot app, but I might want to try a 3rd party app some day that requires GPS on the tablet. And, second, I can get a data plan at any point in the future. The only downside is you'll pay ~$100 more if you don't activate the cell service.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-6-2
Use props
Flatline74
lvl.2
United States

PhantomHelp.com Posted at 2015-6-3 09:25
You really only need a data plan if you're going to stream video to YouTube. Otherwise, you could ge ...

i thought about that.I live in the country (boonies) So there is no telling where I may end up flying.  So there is that problem.
2015-6-2
Use props
Flatline74
lvl.2
United States

Flatline74 Posted at 2015-6-3 13:03
i thought about that.I live in the country (boonies) So there is no telling where I may end up fly ...

I decided not to worry about does this tablet work or that one work, which works better blah blah blah. Instead I picked up the Yuneec Q500+.
2015-6-5
Use props
rethuringer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16083 ft
United States

I use my iPhone hotspot (Verizon) and connect my iPad mini 2 to it. Works great so far for the map, haven't tried the live stream to youtube yet. Check your cellular plan to see if you have hot spot already or add it to your plant. Cheaper than cellular iPad and additional data plan.
2015-6-5
Use props
suqsid.bobmail
lvl.3

United States

Flatline74 Posted at 2015-6-6 05:28
I decided not to worry about does this tablet work or that one work, which works better blah blah  ...

LMAO
You live in the boonies and you picked that because it has a 5.5 inch screen? You could buy one for $40 to connect to the P3.

You also have one-third the range, a terrible 130 degree fish-eye lens, and a really goofy looking design.

At least being in the middle of nowhere, you won't be as embarrassed as the guy who flying one of those near my house was when I pulled out the P3.

2015-6-5
Use props
Flatline74
lvl.2
United States

suqsid.bobmail Posted at 2015-6-6 09:21
LMAO
You live in the boonies and you picked that because it has a 5.5 inch screen? You could buy on ...

Look at your forum,  it's loaded with people having problems.  It wouldn't make a hill of beans if the P3 could make it out 10 miles if it is sitting on your desk not working.
2015-6-6
Use props
suqsid.bobmail
lvl.3

United States

Flatline74 Posted at 2015-6-6 16:30
Look at your forum,  it's loaded with people having problems.  It wouldn't make a hill of beans if ...

All can be fixed in a single software upgrade.

Nothing can fix the issues that thing has.
2015-6-6
Use props
Flatline74
lvl.2
United States

suqsid.bobmail Posted at 2015-6-6 21:08
All can be fixed in a single software upgrade.

Nothing can fix the issues that thing has.

Not really heard of many issues with the Yuneec 500+.  The fish eye is gone with the new lens.  No flyaways .  I like the fact I can use my own charger to charge 4 batteries at once vs P3 proprietary charger.

If a single software upgrade would fix it, where is it?  And from what I hear good luck getting a P3 repaired anytime soon if something happened to it.  They can't even get all the batteries out that they presold over the last couple of months. Also, no software update will ever fix the sensitive gimbal.

2015-6-6
Use props
suqsid.bobmail
lvl.3

United States

Flatline74 Posted at 2015-6-6 21:47
Not really heard of many issues with the Yuneec 500+.  The fish eye is gone with the new lens.  No ...

Yep, You know what you are talking about.

Have fun with your toy. It sounds perfect for you.
2015-6-6
Use props
Flatline74
lvl.2
United States

suqsid.bobmail Posted at 2015-6-6 22:46
Yep, You know what you are talking about.

Have fun with your toy. It sounds perfect for you.

Lol, yep I do.   Keep looking through your forum and telling yourself how great DJI is.  Gotta love sheep.
2015-6-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules