2367 32 2018-11-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
digsy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1085404 ft
Australia

Hey guys

Quick question before I send my p4pv2 back for a second time for a warranty repair. I just got it back after having the gimbal replaced for a fault. Now it has a massively skewed horizon. Imu, compass calibrations do nothing to fix it. Reinstalling latest firmware and resetting via assistant 2 does nothing too. Ive also noticed that after every imu or compass calibration, the camera points about 15 degree downwards. I dont remember it doing this prior to the first repiar.Is this normal?

Tia

2018-11-5
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi, we're very sorry to hear about the unpleasant experience that you had with your Phantom 4 Pro V2. Can you please provide us a sample video so that we can check it on our end? You can upload it using google-drive or Dropbox and provide the link here. Thank you.
2018-11-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Hi Tia, no this behaviour of the drones gimbal is not correct. After initialization or calibration has completed, the camera should be perfectly level, and true.
Providing you calibrated on a perfectly level 90* surface...
When, before you calibrate the IMU, cool the drone down first, as in the fridge or in front of an air conditioner for 15 or 20 mins. Then have the calibration page open on your device.  When ready, insert the flight battery, turn on the drone, and begin the IMU calibration, next do the gimbal.

Not sure, if this cold drone IMU calibration will help correct your issues, but it certainly will not hurt, to try it.

Post back your results if you go ahead with this. Thanks

RedHotPoker
2018-11-5
Use props
digsy
lvl.3
Australia

Thanks RedHotPoker. I've havent tried the cool down method but I've done at least 10 imu and compass calibrations and the gimbal points down after every one of them. I them have to perform a gimbal cali ro correct it.

I'll post some vids of what I mean later. Thanks for the feedback
2018-11-5
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

I would send it back again.  For what you paid, it should be working correctly.
2018-11-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

ALABAMA Posted at 11-5 14:57
I would send it back again.  For what you paid, it should be working correctly.

True that, but if a cold drone IMU fixes it, voila. Like magic. Haha

I have high hopes.

RedHotPoker
2018-11-5
Use props
digsy
lvl.3
Australia

DJI Natalia Posted at 11-5 13:35
Hi, we're very sorry to hear about the unpleasant experience that you had with your Phantom 4 Pro V2. Can you please provide us a sample video so that we can check it on our end? You can upload it using google-drive or Dropbox and provide the link here. Thank you.

Hi Natalia,

Here is the video of my issues. Aplogies for the sound in the second video

Badly Tilted horizon just after IMU, Compass and Gimbal calibrations

Camera points downwards after IMU or Compass calibration
2018-11-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

The compass has nothing to do with the gimbal...

Have you tried the chiller method yet?

RedHotPoker
2018-11-5
Use props
digsy
lvl.3
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 11-5 17:14
The compass has nothing to do with the gimbal...

I will try that when I get home later.

The camera points downwards with IMU or Compass calibrations. Probably a gimbal issue not related to IMU or compass.
2018-11-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

digsy Posted at 11-5 17:30
I will try that when I get home later.

The camera points downwards with IMU or Compass calibrations. Probably a gimbal issue not related to IMU or compass.

Actually the IMU is somehow directly or indirectly connected to the gimbal.

Atleast that would be the appearance, from my standpoint.

I never heard of anyone here, straightening their drones crooked horizon, by doing a cold gimbal calibration, alone.

Maybe I’m hard of hearing, in one ear. Hahaha

Yet, I love an intricate Frank Zappa melody...
3 1/2hrs of delight.

Forget about the compass calibrations. Seriously.

RedHotPoker

2018-11-5
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

digsy Posted at 11-5 16:57
Hi Natalia,

Here is the video of my issues. Aplogies for the sound in the second video

Hi Tia, thanks for getting back to us. We're sorry for the inconvenience. As you mentioned, the gimbal has been replaced last time, it is in DJI Offical Service Center? Could you provide us with the last case number? We'd like to check the exact status and try our best to help.
2018-11-5
Use props
digsy
lvl.3
Australia

Hi,

Yes I sent it to EE group an authorized DJI distributor here in Australia. They then sent it to an Authorized DJI repairer. EE group gave me their own RMA number but not a CAS number. Ive just emailed them to send me the number.
2018-11-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

digsy Posted at 11-5 21:49
Hi,

Yes I sent it to EE group an authorized DJI distributor here in Australia. They then sent it to an Authorized DJI repairer. EE group gave me their own RMA number but not a CAS number. Ive just emailed them to send me the number.

If you’re Home now...

Are you going to cool the drone down and try to recalibrate the IMU, then gimbal?

I want to know if this helped.

RedHotPoker

2018-11-5
Use props
digsy
lvl.3
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 11-5 22:08
If you’re Home now...

Are you going to cool the drone down and try to recalibrate the IMU, then gimbal?

Just tried. Still no good.
2018-11-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

digsy Posted at 11-6 03:39
Just tried. Still no good.

Ok, it was still worth the simple try. No harm.

So, you chilled the drone down good, how? In the fridge? Sorry this wasn’t the answer, that let’s me down too.

What next? Send it back for more tech support...

Second time is the charm?! Haha

RedHotPoker
2018-11-6
Use props
digsy
lvl.3
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 11-5 19:33
Hi Tia, thanks for getting back to us. We're sorry for the inconvenience. As you mentioned, the gimbal has been replaced last time, it is in DJI Offical Service Center? Could you provide us with the last case number? We'd like to check the exact status and try our best to help.

Hi Dji Susan.

The case number on the repair that was done is CAS-2351085-J5S6P7

Thanks
2018-11-6
Use props
Justwanttofly!
lvl.2
Australia

digsy Posted at 11-6 15:45
Hi Dji Susan.

The case number on the repair that was done is CAS-2351085-J5S6P7

Very interested in this response from DJI Susan.. having the same issue. Also very wary of sending my drone in for repair.
2018-11-6
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

digsy Posted at 11-6 15:45
Hi Dji Susan.

The case number on the repair that was done is CAS-2351085-J5S6P7

Thanks so much for getting back to us. One point needs to be confirmed, the gimbal will point down after IMU/Gimbal calibration even without restart, right? If yes, I'm afraid that this cannot be figured out remotely, please kindly send it in for diagnosis. Also, I've marked the last repair case number in the case log and will keep following up. Hope we can figure this out soon.
2018-11-7
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Justwanttofly! Posted at 11-6 19:05
Very interested in this response from DJI Susan.. having the same issue. Also very wary of sending my drone in for repair.

Hi Sir, could you refer to 18# and confirm if it is the same situation? If yes, please kindly provide us with your case number once you got it, we'd like to help.
2018-11-7
Use props
digsy
lvl.3
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 11-7 00:57
Thanks so much for getting back to us. One point needs to be confirmed, the gimbal will point down after IMU/Gimbal calibration even without restart, right? If yes, I'm afraid that this cannot be figured out remotely, please kindly send it in for diagnosis. Also, I've marked the last repair case number in the case log and will keep following up. Hope we can figure this out soon.

Hi Dji Susan,

Yes points down without restart.
I've already created a case with DJI and waiting for the return label.
Hope it an be expedited as I've been without it for almost a month.
2018-11-7
Use props
Justwanttofly!
lvl.2
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 11-7 00:59
Hi Sir, could you refer to 18# and confirm if it is the same situation? If yes, please kindly provide us with your case number once you got it, we'd like to help.

thanks DJI Susan, I am very concerned about sending it in for fear of having to pay for a manufacturing problem. I have no reassurance that it will be broken during transport, and as this forum shows, it might come back with more problems. I would prefer to install a patch in my firmware. could you provide that ? thanks
2018-11-7
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

digsy Posted at 11-7 04:20
Hi Dji Susan,

Yes points down without restart.

Thanks for the clarification. I have checked the case again, the shipping label has been sent to you, please kindly arrange to send the unit in at your earliest convenience, thank you!
2018-11-8
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Justwanttofly! Posted at 11-7 15:43
thanks DJI Susan, I am very concerned about sending it in for fear of having to pay for a manufacturing problem. I have no reassurance that it will be broken during transport, and as this forum shows, it might come back with more problems. I would prefer to install a patch in my firmware. could you provide that ? thanks

Thanks for getting back to us. We're sorry that there is no beta firmware for P4P V2.0 for now, you may connect with DJI Assistant 2 to refresh the current firmware to see whether it helps. Besides, the local team will do damage assessment once they receive the package and offer you a proper solution. If you encounter any difficulties during the progress, feel free to contact us with your case number, we'll be here all the time.
2018-11-8
Use props
Justwanttofly!
lvl.2
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 11-8 19:26
Thanks for getting back to us. We're sorry that there is no beta firmware for P4P V2.0 for now, you may connect with DJI Assistant 2 to refresh the current firmware to see whether it helps. Besides, the local team will do damage assessment once they received the package and offer you a proper solution. If you encounter any difficulties during the progress, feel free to contact us with your case number, we'll be here all the time.

ok. will try thanks. Where do I locate the shipping label? Can I send the whole drone in its case?
2018-11-11
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Justwanttofly! Posted at 11-11 21:33
ok. will try thanks. Where do I locate the shipping label? Can I send the whole drone in its case?

You may write an email to support@dji.com, the designated team will start a case for you and guide the further steps. Also, to avoid further damage during the transportation, you may send the whole drone in its case.
2018-11-13
Use props
Justwanttofly!
lvl.2
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 11-13 01:46
You may write an email to support@dji.com, the designated team will start a case for you and guide the further steps. Also, to avoid further damage during the transportation, you may send the whole drone in its case.

support@dji.com DOES NOT WORK
2018-11-13
Use props
digsy
lvl.3
Australia

Hey Justwanttofly,

I started a repair request here https://repair.dji.com/repair/index which then generated a case number.

I then contacted support@dji.com. for a further explanation about the issues i have. This is the second time ive sent my AC back. Purchased in July and still under warranty.

Below is the whole process of how to return - no payment needed to return the drone.
I sent the whole drone in its styrofoam case and packaging then put it inside the thick cardboard box it shipped with. I was going to throw it out but kept the cardboard box incase something like this this would happen

Hope it gets sorted out.

DJI Technical Support (Support)

11月8日 CST09:00

Dear Digsy,

Your case has been recorded as case#: 【CAS-XXX-XXX

The shipping label 【XXXXXX】 has been sent to your e-mail. Please print it out, paste it on the outside of the package and take it to your nearby Australian Post office at your earliest convenience.

Kindly send your unit at:
DJI Technology Australia Pty Ltd DJI Technology, LLC
Lot 96, 46 Indian Drive, Keysborough VIC 3173, Australia
Attn: DJI Repair Department

Please click HERE to download the DJI Technical Support Form or see attachment, fill it in and enclose a hard copy in your package.

If you have no printer at home, you can visit the Post Office for help.

A confirmation email will be sent to you once your package is received by our repair center. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us.

2018-11-14
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Justwanttofly! Posted at 11-13 16:55
support@dji.com DOES NOT WORK

Sorry about this. Please kindly send to support@dji.com directly, the designated team will double check. If it still does not work, please kindly provide us with your email address and the screenshot for further assistance, thank you!
2018-11-14
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

digsy Posted at 11-14 01:23
Hey Justwanttofly,

I started a repair request here https://repair.dji.com/repair/index which then generated a case number.

Glad to know the progress goes smoothly. I'll keep an eye on this as well.
2018-11-14
Use props
Tree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 451119 ft
United States

after imu calibration did you restart the drone as you are supposed to? in the vid you didn't.
my p4p did the same but after restarting the drone it's fine. the horizon is set and no problems here.
drone flies great. try a reboot after you calibrate imu. then do a gimbal calibration to reset it.

2018-11-14
Use props
digsy
lvl.3
Australia

Tree Posted at 11-14 23:36
after imu calibration did you restart the drone as you are supposed to? in the vid you didn't.
my p4p did the same but after restarting the drone it's fine. the horizon is set and no problems here.
drone flies great. try a reboot after you calibrate imu. then do a gimbal calibration to reset it.

Hi Tree,

Thanks for feedback

Actually pressing the restart the AC does nothing, at least on my bird anyway. Need to physically push the power switch on the battery.

Regardless its not normal for the gimbal to face tilt on an angle after calibration. It didn't do this prior sending it to DJI for repair the first time.

2018-11-15
Use props
Tree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 451119 ft
United States

you're shutting the drone off  then turning it back on after the calibration?
2018-11-15
Use props
paul2660
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10331 ft
  • >>>
United States

After an IMU calibration on either of my P4's the gimbal points down and left as previously mentioned by previous post.  It will stay like this until I power cycle the drone, then it comes back to normal.

If yours is not centering after a power cycle, and you have done a gimbal reset, might have to go back to DJI.

Paul C
2018-11-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules