Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic & Ronin 1st Test
12Next >
1973 44 2018-11-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
M2Wair2
First Officer
Flight distance : 297723 ft
Ireland

To compliment my Mavic Air, I decided to invest in a DJI Ronin-S. I am very glad I did.

These are my initial thoughts and results of my first Test;

After a 6 week wait for the delivery of my DJI Ronin-S, DHL finally delivered my new toy and I couldn't wait to rip the box open, it felt like Christmas already!
My initial thoughts upon seeing the Ronin was that it was extremely well built out of the finest material and in its own box. I followed the instructions and continued to set it up on my desk, and well, its larger and heavier than i thought it would be.

It was difficult for me to balance, i found small movements of each cradle arm is required and once i got used to it and on the right measurements it was easy to balance. My first use of the Ronin has been a challenge for a few reasons; DJI does not provide the Sony cable to operate the camera, so I had to order the cable which took another four weeks, but in saying that it wasn't too much of a hardship as i was able to use it manually, it was a little tedious but manageable.

I went to my favorite place to test The Beast and i have to admit i struggled a little with the weight as it is a little heavy holding / operating the Ronin for extended periods. I found the Torchlight manouvre to be tricky, so i have invested in the neckstrap to help offset the weight and therefore balance the Ronin's tripod base on my tummy. I also found walking with the Ronin initially was bouncy until I researched how to hold it in a better position and walk with bended knee and heel to toe like a ninja, this makes a huge difference in the footage.

I have now also started using the Ronin-S with a dedicated Dolly that we have built ourselves. We started off by using a small skateboard and have now progressed to a pneumatic trolly adapted for the Ronin-S and are currently building a full suspension sit-on dolly.

So my advice to anyone new to using the DJI Ronin-S or likewise any DJI product, is to follow the DJI tutorial upon setup. Install the Ronin-S assistant, download the firmware exactly as prompted. The firmware update for me was simple and installed without issues. I would definately recommend this product!

2018-11-5
Use props
ghostrdr
First Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

Nice video!
2018-11-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Great job Michelle, I have held one and your right they are heavy , thanks for the feedback and the video is exceptional for your first with the RoninS, I would have purchased one but dji have not updated to work with Fuji , so the zihuan wee Bill is coming out next week so think I will opt for that. Good luck with your new purchase I hope it works out well for you and I look forward to seeing more combination videos from you.
2018-11-5
Use props
M2Wair
Captain
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You can bet your last dollar Michelle will within a very short period of time perfect the techniques for using the Ronin and overcome the weight issue and use..... it is a beast and it is going to be an invaluable tool to our filming, it's awesome.
2018-11-5
Use props
B1houdini
Captain
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Miche,
I thought you did an amazing job with the  Ronin-S. For the most part it was nice and steady. I did notice a slight bobble as you walked.
All and all it was great to watch and you did a superb job editing as always.

I also noticed cow #1256 took a great photo.
2018-11-5
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Nice video, thanks for sharing
2018-11-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Excellent footage Miche - well done!
2018-11-6
Use props
Gregbella
Captain
Australia

Lovely video well done
2018-11-6
Use props
Thriller
First Officer
Flight distance : 374337 ft
Italy

Good job! The video is super stabilezed
2018-11-6
Use props
M2Wair2
First Officer
Ireland

Thank you
2018-11-6
Use props
M2Wair2
First Officer
Ireland

hallmark007 Posted at 11-5 14:57
Great job Michelle, I have held one and your right they are heavy , thanks for the feedback and the video is exceptional for your first with the RoninS, I would have purchased one but dji have not updated to work with Fuji , so the zihuan wee Bill is coming out next week so think I will opt for that. Good luck with your new purchase I hope it works out well for you and I look forward to seeing more combination videos from you.

Hi Hallmark,

Thank you for your lovely comment It is unfortunate DJI do not have it set to accommodate a range of camera's, but i have heard the Zihuan Wee Bill  is good also. Good luck with your new purchase too.

I will continue to develop combining the two, Thank you
2018-11-6
Use props
M2Wair2
First Officer
Ireland

M2Wair Posted at 11-5 16:56
You can bet your last dollar Michelle will within a very short period of time perfect the techniques for using the Ronin and overcome the weight issue and use..... it is a beast and it is going to be an invaluable tool to our filming, it's awesome.

Thank you hun
2018-11-6
Use props
M2Wair2
First Officer
Ireland

B1houdini Posted at 11-5 19:16
Miche,
I thought you did an amazing job with the  Ronin-S. For the most part it was nice and steady. I did notice a slight bobble as you walked.
All and all it was great to watch and you did a superb job editing as always.

Hi Houdiini,

Thank you for your lovely feedback   I thought the Cow was the star of the show, she did a great job
2018-11-6
Use props
M2Wair2
First Officer
Ireland

jacksonnai Posted at 11-5 20:27
Nice video, thanks for sharing

Thank you
2018-11-6
Use props
M2Wair2
First Officer
Ireland

A CW Posted at 11-6 00:05
Excellent footage Miche - well done!

Hi Andy,

Thank you so much
2018-11-6
Use props
M2Wair2
First Officer
Ireland

Gregbella Posted at 11-6 01:01
Lovely video well done

Thank you so much
2018-11-6
Use props
M2Wair2
First Officer
Ireland

Thriller Posted at 11-6 01:40
Good job! The video is super stabilezed

Thank you so much I really appreciate that
2018-11-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Looks great!
2018-11-6
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

You are welcome
2018-11-6
Use props
rikk08
Captain
Flight distance : 21877946 ft
  • >>>
Malta

Great stuff!! How are you finding the ronin s? really thinking about buying one myself too!
2018-11-6
Use props
djiuser_eCqx0x6sUpXS
lvl.1

Ireland

Montfrooij Posted at 11-6 03:41
Looks great!

Thank you
2018-11-6
Use props
djiuser_eCqx0x6sUpXS
lvl.1

Ireland

rikk08 Posted at 11-6 05:09
Great stuff!! How are you finding the ronin s? really thinking about buying one myself too!

Hi Rikk,

Thank you so much
I would definitely recommend getting one it is a fabulous piece of kit, i will be taking it everywhere now with the drones.
2018-11-6
Use props
M2Wair
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

lol looks like the forum has issues with profiles still. Miche not showing up and coming up as new user...... DJI it's broke
2018-11-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

M2Wair2 Posted at 11-6 02:39
Hi Andy,

Thank you so much

You're welcome Miche
2018-11-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Who is this?
Looks like a new user?
2018-11-6
Use props
M2Wair
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Montfrooij Posted at 11-6 05:33
Who is this?
Looks like a new user?

Yeah Miche accessed the forum from her phone, same log in details and comes up with new user. She is not impressed lol
2018-11-6
Use props
M2Wair2
First Officer
Ireland

rikk08 Posted at 11-6 05:09

Hi Rikk,

Thank you so much
I would definitely recommend getting one it is a fabulous piece of kit, i will be taking it everywhere now with the drones.

My profile doesn't work on my phone!

2018-11-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

M2Wair Posted at 11-6 05:43
Yeah Miche accessed the forum from her phone, same log in details and comes up with new user. She is not impressed lol

Ah ok. That is why.
I already thought something like that happened.
2018-11-6
Use props
Sky Carrier
Captain
Flight distance : 590102 ft
United States

Very nice video. Thanks for sharing
2018-11-6
Use props
B1houdini
Captain
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

M2Wair2 Posted at 11-6 02:38
Hi Houdiini,

Thank you for your lovely feedback   I thought the Cow was the star of the show, she did a great job

Miche,
Remember it took a great photographer to make #1256 look good.
2018-11-6
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
Captain
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

very nice mish - the small pans with the ronin are effective - with my drone it feels i am always trying to capture too much i guess because with altitude i am mostly always so much further from the subject and therein a lot more to see but close up details are lacking. nice new gadget - you deserve it.
2018-11-6
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Nice footage. Thanks for sharing your video with us. If there's any help needed, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thanks for your support.
2018-11-6
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Dear Ninja Michelle, thank you very much for this excellent video and first report about the Ronin! And I very much liked the cows too :-)
2018-11-6
Use props
M2Wair2
First Officer
Ireland

Sky Carrier Posted at 11-6 08:37
Very nice video. Thanks for sharing

Thank you very much
2018-11-6
Use props
M2Wair2
First Officer
Ireland

Montfrooij Posted at 11-6 06:56
Ah ok. That is why.
I already thought something like that happened.

Yes sorry about that, I have no idea why the forum couldn't recognise me lol, a bug in the system perhaps.
2018-11-6
Use props
M2Wair2
First Officer
Ireland

B1houdini Posted at 11-6 08:46
Miche,
Remember it took a great photographer to make #1256 look good.

2018-11-6
Use props
M2Wair2
First Officer
Ireland

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 11-6 08:59
very nice mish - the small pans with the ronin are effective - with my drone it feels i am always trying to capture too much i guess because with altitude i am mostly always so much further from the subject and therein a lot more to see but close up details are lacking. nice new gadget - you deserve it.

Hi Bekaru,

Thank you very much for the lovely compliment
I understand what you mean about the distance from the drone, i must admit this is the perfect piece of kit to get those close ups and i'm getting used to holding it and learning so many different ways in which it can be used.
Thank you again
2018-11-6
Use props
M2Wair2
First Officer
Ireland

DJI Natalia Posted at 11-6 09:08
Nice footage. Thanks for sharing your video with us. If there's any help needed, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thanks for your support.

Thank you very much Natalia
2018-11-6
Use props
M2Wair2
First Officer
Ireland

Wachtberger Posted at 11-6 09:47
Dear Ninja Michelle, thank you very much for this excellent video and first report about the Ronin! And I very much liked the cows too :-)

Hi my friend,

Thank you very much for your lovely compliment She was the star of the show lol.
2018-11-6
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

M2Wair2 Posted at 11-6 11:35
Thank you very much Natalia

You're most welcome.
2018-11-6
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now