The sun stopping a drone?
3290 31 2018-11-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Christine96
lvl.4
United States

I've read a few pilots accounts of the sun causing the sensors to stop their drones.  Is that possible?  
2018-11-5
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

Never happened to me, but I also saw some stories where it happened.

Fly safely
Alex
2018-11-5
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, it's quite possible.
2018-11-5
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have experienced it.  It's always been late in the day when the sun is fairly low in the sky. I would imagine the same would be true early morning, can't say since I don't do mornings.
2018-11-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It will sound alarm for OA just need to turn it away from the Sun, in some cases on RTH it has tried to climb to max height set by the controller.
2018-11-5
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi Christine, thank you for reaching DJI forum. It is possible, when the drone is facing directly to the strong light, it would trigger obstacle avoidance mistakenly. So you might need to avoid flying straight to the sunlight, or you can switch off the obstacle avoidance system, but need to be more careful. If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us. Thanks for your support.

2018-11-6
Use props
DJIJAKOB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 740577 ft
  • >>>
Norway

It's definitively possible, but I've never experienced it.
2018-11-6
Use props
Corvus monedula
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3550594 ft
Poland

Happened to me several times with M1P when flying towards low sun – either setting one or during winter months, when sun is never high.
Usual solution is to fly sideways… on M2P one can turn the gimbal to the side to keep forward vision.
2018-11-6
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4698533 ft
United States

see my thread about having a option in the settings for the AC to turn off obstacle avoidance once above failsafe altitude
2018-11-6
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes it's possible and yes it has happen to me more than once.
2018-11-6
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Me too so i just flew backwards lol Gave me some practice
2018-11-6
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Or you could have just disabled the sensors mid-flight
2018-11-6
Use props
Mullheliflier
First Officer
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have had it happen fairly often with all my aircraft with sensors. More so with a low sun. As msinger suggests, just torn obstacle avoidance off.
2018-11-6
Use props
Sky Carrier
Second Officer
Flight distance : 590102 ft
United States

Yes it does. The Vision system sometimes get overloaded and the drone believes there is an obstacle. Switching it off or just slightly turning the drone will do the trick.
2018-11-6
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Yes it does happened.
Here in AZ we get some intense sunlight and if flying at certain times, ether at sunrise or sunset it happens.
I had it happen . Hit RTH and the MP started back. It Stopped then flew higher then started forward and stopped and started to climb again. I ended up canceling the RTH and turned the MP around and flew home backwards. Never thought of turning off the sensors, since I was a newbe at it at the time.
2018-11-6
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

has happened with me many times too. sunlight shining into the forward sensor space creates some sort of confusion to the sensor where it registers that an obsticle has been detected and then the drone brakes.
2018-11-6
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
United States

hopefully dji take my suggestion to disable obs avoidance sensors once above the failsafe altitude setting request..

with DJI 4 I have to manually do way more than I should with a 'smart' drone ... more than likely half the project engineers working on this stuff have likely never flown anything..

it was the same in real aircraft design where pilots would have to send complaints to the engineers that 'just didn't get it'

2018-11-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 11-6 09:17
hopefully dji take my suggestion to disable obs avoidance sensors once above the failsafe altitude setting request..

with DJI 4 I have to manually do way more than I should with a 'smart' drone ... more than likely half the project engineers working on this stuff have likely never flown anything..

Just turn off OA dji don’t need to allow anything it’s already there, you can actually set one of your c1 or c2 buttons to switch off OA from the ground to infinity .
It looks like you don’t get it yourself .
2018-11-6
Use props
rreindl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6491926 ft
United States

Yes, this happens to me. I usually just fly backwards or sideways to get to the location I want. This mostly occurs on a clear day during sunset or sun rise.
2018-11-6
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-6 14:15
Just turn off OA dji don’t need to allow anything it’s already there, you can actually set one of your c1 or c2 buttons to switch off OA from the ground to infinity .
It looks like you don’t get it yourself .

why should I have to dedicate a button or do anything manually when the software can do it automatically when its not longer needed.. i.e. when I am flying above the hard deck

now stop trolling me flake
2018-11-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 11-6 15:36
why should I have to dedicate a button or do anything manually when the software can do it automatically when its not longer needed.. i.e. when I am flying above the hard deck

now stop trolling me flake

how do you think M2P will be able to know the height of every obstacle in its way, maybe you will explain that, you seriously don’t think that this should be up to the operator who is standing on the ground and cant see further than 500m , your so full of BS . For someone who doesn’t know how RTH works , maybe go read your manual. Your not helping anyone here.
Go run along and fly your Spark.
2018-11-6
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-6 15:51
how do you think M2P will be able to know the height of every obstacle in its way, maybe you will explain that, you seriously don’t think that this should be up to the operator who is standing on the ground and cant see further than 500m , your so full of BS . For someone who doesn’t know how RTH works , maybe go read your manual. Your not helping anyone here.
Go run along and fly your Spark.

the RTH height is your hard deck... once your above the RTH altitude you no longer need obstacle avoidance 99% of the time...

thats why I requested that it be a OPTION underneath optical sensors to have the auto mode so that if you are flying in a situation where you want it.. you can turn it off...

2018-11-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 11-6 17:24
the RTH height is your hard deck... once your above the RTH altitude you no longer need obstacle avoidance 99% of the time...

thats why I requested that it be a OPTION underneath optical sensors to have the auto mode so that if you are flying in a situation where you want it.. you can turn it off...

Exactly and that’s what both myself and msinger said just use the option of assigning a button, that way you can just switch it off and back on again and with spark just switch to sport mode and switch back to P mode to go back to OA. So it’s already available
2018-11-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have experienced it - the Mavic just stopped dead in it's tracks - turn off the OA when there is nothing in the area to avoid.
2018-11-7
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-6 17:48
Exactly and that’s what both myself and msinger said just use the option of assigning a button, that way you can just switch it off and back on again and with spark just switch to sport mode and switch back to P mode to go back to OA. So it’s already available

there are only so many buttons and I have them doing more important things than doing something the drone is smart enough to do on its own with the addition of a setting....

2018-11-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 11-7 04:16
there are only so many buttons and I have them doing more important things than doing something the drone is smart enough to do on its own with the addition of a setting....

As I already said just put it in sport mode you don’t need any extra buttons and if you want it on a seperate button the Mavic has 7 , an automated system would need the capability of google maps to be safe, where would it get its geography from how would it figure out if new towers were erected buildings knocked down etc, or are you saying that user sets failsafe for his area IE 30 metres and when flying at 40 metres OA turns automatically off ? If this were to happen what happens when user looses sight of aircraft is flying out 2000 metres has no clue what’s around him and smashes into something, will dji be responsible for automatically switching off OA, surely dji has given many options to switch off OA if needed it’s not going to automatically switch it off when it has no clue where drone is being flown,
2018-11-7
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-7 04:28
As I already said just put it in sport mode you don’t need any extra buttons and if you want it on a seperate button the Mavic has 7 , an automated system would need the capability of google maps to be safe, where would it get its geography from how would it figure out if new towers were erected buildings knocked down etc, or are you saying that user sets failsafe for his area IE 30 metres and when flying at 40 metres OA turns automatically off ? If this were to happen what happens when user looses sight of aircraft is flying out 2000 metres has no clue what’s around him and smashes into something, will dji be responsible for automatically switching off OA, surely dji has given many options to switch off OA if needed it’s not going to automatically switch it off when it has no clue where drone is being flown,

enough already you irritating little man..

sport mode increases my gains and exp and other rates and its not conducive to good shooting .. now just go away and stop chasing my posts....

I have had hemorrhoids that were less irritating than you...
2018-11-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 11-7 04:42
enough already you irritating little man..

sport mode increases my gains and exp and other rates and its not conducive to good shooting .. now just go away and stop chasing my posts....

You have hemorrhoids because of your ridiculous ideas, which no one will subscribe to.
2018-11-7
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10326581 ft
Canada

Yes indeed, happened to me.
2018-11-7
Use props
Christine96
lvl.4
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 11-6 03:13
Hi Christine, thank you for reaching DJI forum. It is possible, when the drone is facing directly to the strong light, it would trigger obstacle avoidance mistakenly. So you might need to avoid flying straight to the sunlight, or you can switch off the obstacle avoidance system, but need to be more careful. If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us. Thanks for your support.

[view_image]

Would a filter help?
2018-11-7
Use props
4WDaus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1187257 ft
Australia

Same here, generally change angles or fly in revserse
2018-11-13
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There is an option to disable 'Obstacle Avoidance' (In 'Visual Navigations' menu) when flying, but still have 'RTH Obstacle Check' activate when using RTH. This can be found in the 'Advanced' section of 'Visual Navigations' menu. There's also a nice note along side it describing it in detail.
2018-11-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules