Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
#Autumn# Spark over Tennessee + Video Tips for Boring Areas
1419 6 2018-11-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pianoplayer7
First Officer
Flight distance : 259055 ft
United States

Hello Forum! In this contest entry, I will show you an amazing video that I got from my house with the Spark. After that, I will give you Seven Tips to Get the Best Aerial Shots in a Boring Area. I feel as though I have plenty of experience in that since I live in a rather boring area. Here goes...

Here is how to get videos like this in a very boring area:
1. Manual Exposure/White Balance. At the very beginning of this video, there is a good example of the advantage of using manual exposure and white balance. In auto mode, the exposure and white balance constantly changes and can ruin an amazing video. Although it may seem daunting at first, it really helps in the long run.

2. Unusual Gimbal/Stick Combinations. It can seem awkward to be moving both joysticks at the same time as well as pulling the gimbal dial - and all that with the appropriate speed. Don't worry - that's normal. (If it's not, than I'm not either!) At timestamp 1:04, I was moving upward, backward, and turning the gimbal down at the same time. It's awkward... but it's cool.

3. Grid Lines. At timestamp 0:25, I set the mountains along the top grid line of the rule-of-thirds grid. What that means is that I had my grid lines turned on in the DJI Go app, and placed the mountains on the top line. If you can line something up on one of the lines, or get something on one of the intersections, it follows the famous rule of thirds, which is key to getting great photos and videos.

4. Golden Hour. At timestamp 0:06, the drone was flying above the trees near my house. Suddenly, I saw that the mountain where I usually take my photos had a layer of fog near its base, which gave an amazing effect. My key for this was getting my video in the morning right at sunrise. Sunset is also great. Those two times are known as golden hours, and "golden" describes them well.

5. Take More Video Than You Need. At timestamp 1:58, I was just taking a random video out of no specific reason, and I suddenly realized that I got wind. I was worried that the video would look jerky and terrible, but it looked much better than expected. The wind gave it effect rather than ruining the video. I was glad to see this. If you take a lot of video, even more than you need or think you need, you can just happen to get an amazing video. The trees swaying in the wind became one of my best videos.

6. Get Up High, Look Out Far. Don't stay low. I would have likely never found out about that mountain had I not gone up and out for a distance - more than I thought I would have needed to. Timestamp 0:50 was when I first found out about the mountain and decided to get a neat video of it. I was very pleased to see this - and you will be very pleased if you see something unexpected as a result of following this tip.

7. Practice! You will never do well without practice. Everywhere has a subject. It could be a cactus, a house, a mountain, whatever you want it to be. Get every angle of the subject you can. Practice moving around it and getting videos of it. They will - slowly, but surely - improve.

So, that's it! Even in blah areas, you can get great shots. Where I live is known for being terrible for getting drone videos and photos, but I was able to get these videos - with the Spark, at that. Thank you for reading, and have a great flight!
2018-11-6
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Nice video footage and useful tips! Thanks for sharing.
2018-11-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Brilliant thread and footage
2018-11-7
Use props
pianoplayer7
First Officer
United States

DJI Panda Posted at 11-6 18:06
Nice video footage and useful tips! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for your kind comment.
2018-11-7
Use props
pianoplayer7
First Officer
United States

A CW Posted at 11-7 00:41
Brilliant thread and footage

Thank you! This is my first forum post with a video (all previous photos and videos were not very high quality). I’m glad you enjoyed it.
2018-11-7
Use props
pianoplayer7
First Officer
United States

Just so you all know, any tips would also be appreciated as well as comments. I hope my tips help you all, and I hope your tips help me. It’s a mutual benefit
2018-11-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

pianoplayer7 Posted at 11-7 06:47
Thank you! This is my first forum post with a video (all previous photos and videos were not very high quality). I’m glad you enjoyed it.

Good work!
2018-11-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules