Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Dealing with people giving you grief
2392 26 2015-6-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Davidklein1
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hadn't even started flying (on a wide open Heath where I am allowed to fly) when a woman said I'm not allowed to fly there and she was calling the police. I was trying to be polite but firm explaining I was entitled to but she was really rude. How do you deal with people like this?
2015-6-3
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

It never happened to me but i only use the Phantoms in the nature like in the countryside. In this case ppl are mostly nice. Ppl will get angry when you fly in a city or in your neighborhood for example, i guess they think you would film their property and honestly a multicopter is not silent. I never tested it in front of the house, ppl would think im mad! This is like a lawnmower. If you have a range in the outback than its not a problem but in a tight city?  
2015-6-3
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Never had rude people just curious ones. I'm lucky and live in North Wales where people a more relaxed that city dwellers. If you are sure you can fly where you are and she was still being a git then just tell her to call the Police and deal with it from there. If Police turn up then just be nice to them and explain your position calmly and clearly. Remember most police officers will not be sure of the law anyway. You could ask them to call the CAA for advice if they were unsure. Airspace i the UK comes under CAA authority not the Police, they will only act if you are breaking the CAA's laws not a random woman's point of view.

Chin up and fly on
2015-6-3
Use props
scrufytam
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1026309 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would ignore her and let her call the police. She'll listen to them before you.
2015-6-3
Use props
NorthernLoop
lvl.2
Flight distance : 300246 ft
United Kingdom

sploodge Posted at 2015-6-3 19:23
Never had rude people just curious ones. I'm lucky and live in North Wales where people a more relax ...

Yeah just fly within the rules of the law, ignore them and point them to the FAA/CAA websites.

sploodge, I'm near Chester but work all over North Wales so you might see me near Snowdon flying sometime
2015-6-3
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

NorthernLoop Posted at 2015-6-3 20:18
Yeah just fly within the rules of the law, ignore them and point them to the FAA/CAA websites.

sp ...

You never know we might bump into each other ( not whilst flying I hope ). I live in Holyhead and work in Bangor.
I am thinking of going to Anglesey Barracks in Dinorwic Quarry when I get some time and weather .
2015-6-3
Use props
NorthernLoop
lvl.2
Flight distance : 300246 ft
United Kingdom

sploodge Posted at 2015-6-3 21:02
You never know we might bump into each other ( not whilst flying I hope  ). I live in Holyhead a ...

I was up at southstack the other day, didn't have the guts to fly it to the lighthouse though.
2015-6-5
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Just politely say that there is nothing against any law or rules prohibiting you flying your quad copter.  If she wants to call the police say "go right ahead I am not breaking any law."

I also might ask what her concern is?  Try to stay polite.
2015-6-5
Use props
grangerfx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

Honestly? I would leave and find some place else to fly. Who needs the hassle? Who knows what the police would do if they showed up?
I have only flown once when there were other people in the area. That time I told them I was planning to fly a drone but would not fly it over them. As always they were far more interested in the drone and thought was cool and would likely buy one (that is always the reaction I get).
2015-6-5
Use props
bomberuk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16759 ft
United Kingdom

been flying phantoms for 3 years never had a problem with people,they just love it and want to know more ;)
2015-6-5
Use props
lightpanther
lvl.3

United States

bomberuk Posted at 2015-6-6 06:24
been flying phantoms for 3 years never had a problem with people,they just love it and want to know  ...

I think a problem *could* arise if they start to become too popular at natural sites where people go for silence and peace. I mean, to exaggerate, I think I'd be pretty miffed myself if the air over places of outstanding natural beauty came to be buzzed every half hour by drones.

I think we have a responsibility here. Drones being a "danger" is mainly in the hands of idiots. But they DO have the potential to be a "nuisance."
2015-6-5
Use props
fiskld
lvl.2

United States

I have flown my P3 in City Parks and had nothing but curious people asking questions about the P3. They have all been positive about it and even allowed their children to check it out. I try to be as informative as possible and polite to give them a positive experience.
2015-6-5
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
Flight distance : 84783 ft
United States

I will have to say I was so nervous when purchasing my P3P after all the horror stories. After 20hrs and the latest firmware update it has performed flawlessly Now the bad news....I was returning from a 8400ft, 18min flight and was hovering at about 4ft to discharge to 20% and my neighbor came walking down my driveway. I thought she was coming to talk with me. Instead, when she got closer she charged the bird and swung a sweatshirt at it and of course it crashed, hitting hard on the landing gear then flipping on it's back. Motors would not shut off, body became slightly seperated, propellers are toast, two motors have a different tone now and I have yet to test the cam/gimbal......don't dare fly it. Had to file felony trespass and wilful malicious destruction of property.
2015-6-19
Use props
Trilithon
lvl.2

United States

So far I just get curiosity and I fly in local public parks for practice.

BUT, that being said, I do need to find a nice list for "rules" for my state and keep them in my flight case just in case I need to explain to the local authorities that I fly legal.

I found that all LEO are not up-to-date on all matters.

I now carry a copy of the state statute in regards to LEDs on a motorcycle .... *sigh*
2015-6-19
Use props
pidetectives
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have a bright yellow vest and a construction hat. Works like a charm I even have some red cones that I put up. People come up to look
2015-6-19
Use props
Adamation
lvl.2

United Kingdom

The other day I had a bunch of kids try their damned hardest to knock my bird out of the air when I brought her into land, Sticks/Stones/Footballs you name it - Adam
2015-6-19
Use props
gil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

pidetectives@ya Posted at 2015-6-20 01:37
I have a bright yellow vest and a construction hat. Works like a charm I even have some red cones th ...

HA! THAT made me break out into laughter.  Do you have any lettering on your vest to make it look more "official"?   (Maybe something like DPRD for Drone Pilot Retard Defense)
2015-6-19
Use props
buzzcbr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316545 ft
United Kingdom

Only ever had 1 bloke told me I was breaking the law as I needed someone with me (a spotter), told how the law stands in relation to that and that Im only doing it for fun, not commercial and hence dont need a spotter so long as I have clear sight of it, he shut up and went on his way, buy I also have in my back pack a copy of the CAA regs in respect of hobby flying so if the cops turn up I can show them what the law is.
2015-6-19
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

buzzcbr, I do the same thing.  I live in Southern California and printed screen shots of the no-fly zones from LA to San Diego, then zoomed in and took screen shots of my favorite places to fly.  I laminated the maps and just carry them in my back pack.

In case anyone wants to do the same thing, here's the link:  No-Fly Zones

I also carry my insurance card and AMA membership card - they're mostly for the police to show some level of professionalism (whether real or implied - lol).  With a good bluff you can make the other person blink first.  : )  Good job of talking with respect & authority and holding your ground.
2015-6-19
Use props
pidetectives
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

gil Posted at 2015-6-20 02:14
HA! THAT made me break out into laughter.  Do you have any lettering on your vest to make it look  ...

Pilot. in reflected red colors
2015-6-19
Use props
pidetectives
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

gil Posted at 2015-6-20 02:14
HA! THAT made me break out into laughter.  Do you have any lettering on your vest to make it look  ...

I also have four cones that from the  center were I will be standing they go out  6 feet in a 360 Deg
2015-6-19
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

pidetectives@ya Posted at 2015-6-20 01:37
I have a bright yellow vest and a construction hat. Works like a charm I even have some red cones th ...

That's what I call social engineering ;) clever people blend in and be something else other than what they are supposed to be.
2015-6-19
Use props
pidetectives
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-6-20 06:25
That's what I call social engineering ;) clever people blend in and be something else other than w ...

well it works well
2015-6-19
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

I have to implement your strategy ASAP !
2015-6-19
Use props
pidetectives
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-6-20 06:34
I have to implement your strategy ASAP !

Even law enforcement come and always tell me they wish the had one in there Department.
2015-6-19
Use props
smittyvette
lvl.2

United States

I have only had one bad experience in a public park.....a mother was mad that I was filming her kids.  I was filming my kid and her kids were curious and ran into the area.  My wife and I tried to be nice and understanding, but she was just not going to let it go.  Funny part....she was taking pictures of her kids (and mine) with her phone.  Some people are just going to be mad no matter what because they do not know enough about what I am doing.
2015-6-19
Use props
cmmettler
lvl.2

United States

greenbean Posted at 2015-6-19 22:59
I will have to say I was so nervous when purchasing my P3P after all the horror stories. After 20hrs ...

What was her issue ? Did she think you were spying on her from 8400' ?
Or is she just crazy.....
2015-6-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules