2583 42 2018-11-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TechVoyager
lvl.4
Flight distance : 170030 ft
India

Yes, i lost my Drone .
My precious DJI Mavic Air. In this video i will be sharing my story about how i lost it and what all things you should do/don't in such failure scenarios.
Hope, this video helps someone in keeping their drone safe. Please hit the LIKE button and SUBSCRIBE to my channel "YouTube.com/TechVoyagerDinesh".

Full detail discussion thread:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D534%26typeid%3D534

2018-11-9
Use props
Squashpile
lvl.4
Flight distance : 214019 ft
United States

Sorry for your loss. You may have set a speed record though. I will admit. I did LOL a little.
2018-11-9
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

That is sad news, I hope you get another one and get back out there, now you know not to take this sort of risks. Use the UAV app to check wind speeds before you fly.
2018-11-9
Use props
Velospinner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 532671 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Thanks for the video, and the do's and don't's.
What I learned from your video: Those winds at the top of the mountains can be very tricky.

Hope you will get your drone back soon.

And by the way: congrats to the speed record
2018-11-10
Use props
TechVoyager
lvl.4
India

Velospinner Posted at 11-10 00:40
Thanks for the video, and the do's and don't's.
What I learned from your video: Those winds at the top of the mountains can be very tricky.

Thanks
Well now i am confused which one one to buy - MA again (as i already have the spares from Fly more combo) [OR] Mavic Pro (mavic 2 is out of my budget)
2018-11-10
Use props
TechVoyager
lvl.4
India

Suren Posted at 11-9 21:22
That is sad news, I hope you get another one and get back out there, now you know not to take this sort of risks. Use the UAV app to check wind speeds before you fly.

Yes, hope i would have learned these or corrected myself before flying my bird... It was quite an expensive mistake and a costly learning.
2018-11-10
Use props
TechVoyager
lvl.4
India

Squashpile Posted at 11-9 20:56
Sorry for your loss. You may have set a speed record though. I will admit. I did LOL a little.

Speed record... Yeah... Lost 999$ in 2 mins
2018-11-10
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Sorry to watch that mate
2018-11-10
Use props
TechVoyager
lvl.4
India

jacksonnai Posted at 11-10 01:14
Sorry to watch that mate

Its okay mate... It happens sometimes and we don't have any control over it... Well the good thing is that i got an opportunity to buy a new one (if i didnt get a call from the farmers soon) and the dangerous part is - i have to convince my home minister (wife) again for it.
2018-11-10
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sorry to see that = hope you get another one soon
2018-11-10
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Well done for posting your experience and I hope you get a new AC soon. And put your foot down and show your wife who the boss is like I did
2018-11-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Fantastic vlog albeit very sad, some great lessons for me and others how quickly things can change, hopefully you will be back flying soon. Good Luck.
2018-11-10
Use props
TechVoyager
lvl.4
India

hallmark007 Posted at 11-10 03:14
Fantastic vlog albeit very sad, some great lessons for me and others how quickly things can change, hopefully you will be back flying soon. Good Luck.

Thanks hallmark.
2018-11-10
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

TechVoyager Posted at 11-10 01:18
Its okay mate... It happens sometimes and we don't have any control over it... Well the good thing is that i got an opportunity to buy a new one (if i didnt get a call from the farmers soon) and the dangerous part is - i have to convince my home minister (wife) again for it.

Haha lol Hope you get the call from the farmer
Wife is always the boss
2018-11-10
Use props
TechVoyager
lvl.4
India

jacksonnai Posted at 11-10 04:43
Haha lol  Hope you get the call from the farmer
Wife is always the boss

Happy Wife Happy Life
2018-11-10
Use props
Sky Carrier
lvl.4
Flight distance : 590102 ft
Netherlands

Thanks Techvoyager. Sorry for your loss. Very informative though.
2018-11-10
Use props
djiuser_28QJZNPq3Sg4
lvl.1
Flight distance : 31211 ft

India

TechVoyager Posted at 11-10 01:01
Thanks
Well now i am confused which one one to buy - MA again (as i already have the spares from Fly more combo) [OR] Mavic Pro (mavic 2 is out of my budget)

MA again bro
2018-11-10
Use props
djiuser_28QJZNPq3Sg4
lvl.1
Flight distance : 31211 ft

India

Get MA with basic kit (as u already have flymore) it may cost arround 60-62 i hope
2018-11-10
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry for the loss of you MA. Hope your back in the air soon.
2018-11-10
Use props
TechVoyager
lvl.4
India

Thanks everyone for your wishes and compliments. Just waiting with full hopes for the harvest day i.e. the judgement day
2018-11-10
Use props
Alex B.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

TechVoyager Posted at 11-10 01:01
Thanks
Well now i am confused which one one to buy - MA again (as i already have the spares from Fly more combo) [OR] Mavic Pro (mavic 2 is out of my budget)

My recommendation is to buy the Mavic Pro, I’m loving it! Super strong ocusync signal!
Sorry for your loss, I also lost my first spark.
But maybe yours still can be found!
Thanks for sharing.

Flysafely all
Alex
2018-11-10
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

I am very sorry for your loss!
2018-11-10
Use props
TechVoyager
lvl.4
India

Alex B. Posted at 11-10 08:19
My recommendation is to buy the Mavic Pro, I’m loving it! Super strong ocusync signal!
Sorry for your loss, I also lost my first spark.
But maybe yours still can be found!

Thanks Alex for the suggestion. I am also thinking of mavic pro but i am worried about the fly more combo spares left with me.. They are not gonna sell off easily. Thats the reason iam thinking of MA  again.
2018-11-10
Use props
Alex B.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

TechVoyager Posted at 11-10 08:46
Thanks Alex for the suggestion. I am also thinking of mavic pro but i am worried about the fly more combo spares left with me.. They are not gonna sell off easily. Thats the reason iam thinking of MA  again.

I think you can sell everything that you have left for the mavic air on ebay no problem.
You can at least try, post the add and see how many ppl react.

Fly safely all and enjoy
Alex
2018-11-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

TechVoyager Posted at 11-10 01:04
Speed record... Yeah... Lost 999$ in 2 mins

Well all is not lost, if you contact dji Mindy here I’m certain knowing your story she might be able to arrange purchase of Mavic Air on its own , so you can just pair up your old RC and use batteries you still have.
2018-11-10
Use props
TechVoyager
lvl.4
India

hallmark007 Posted at 11-10 10:19
Well all is not lost, if you contact dji Mindy here I’m certain knowing your story she might be able to arrange purchase of Mavic Air on its own , so you can just pair up your old RC and use batteries you still have.
Oh really
Thanks for the suggestion. How to contact Dji Mindy? Simply PM her?
2018-11-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

TechVoyager Posted at 11-10 10:56
Oh really
Thanks for the suggestion. How to contact Dji Mindy? Simply PM her?

Yes I would do that explain what happened, paste a link to  this thread as proof, I have seen her arrange same for someone else who lost their drone.
2018-11-10
Use props
TechVoyager
lvl.4
India

hallmark007 Posted at 11-10 10:59
Yes I would do that explain what happened, paste a link to  this thread as proof, I have seen her arrange same for someone else who lost their drone.

Sure, thanks. I will contact her at the earliest.
2018-11-10
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

i really hope that you will get your drone back in good working order. good video albeit on a sad topic. one other tip to consider when flying in wind is to fly upwind from home point.  i hold thumbs that you will have a happy ending.
2018-11-10
Use props
TechVoyager
lvl.4
India

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 11-10 13:16
i really hope that you will get your drone back in good working order. good video albeit on a sad topic. one other tip to consider when flying in wind is to fly upwind from home point.  i hold thumbs that you will have a happy ending.

Thanks for your wishes and compliments. Dji sent their analysis and as per them the biggest mistake was to fly it in that high speed wind conditions. When the drone went above the hilltop nothing could have brought it back from the wrath of the windspeed. I thought initially that if i would have lowered the height of the drone, brought it down then i could have brought it back, but as per dji, that also was not possible in such situation. So yes, a big NO for flying drones in such windy situations. Got to know later from the security personnel over there, that in that area many people lost their phantoms, mavic pros also in the same fashion. Well it was stupidity, i agree.
2018-11-10
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

TechVoyager Posted at 11-10 04:52
Happy Wife Happy Life

Happy Wife Happy Life

Isn't that an old wives tale...  

2018-11-10
Use props
TechVoyager
lvl.4
India

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 11-10 23:27
Happy Wife Happy Life

Isn't that an old wives tale...

Regardless of old wives or new wives.. Its still applicable for all wives (living or dead)
2018-11-11
Use props
TechVoyager
lvl.4
India

hallmark007 Posted at 11-10 10:59

PM'd DJI Mindy ... No response yet.
Also sent few queries to dji support email...no response from them since 2 days and 3 reminders
2018-11-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

TechVoyager Posted at 11-11 11:10
PM'd DJI Mindy ... No response yet.
Also sent few queries to dji support email...no response from them since 2 days and 3 reminders

I take it that you started a case with dji, if not you should dji will also give you a discount on a new Mavic Air , usually ranges between 15/30 %, if you have then include your case number, I’m not to sure if dji Mindy is around on weekends.
2018-11-11
Use props
TechVoyager
lvl.4
India

hallmark007 Posted at 11-11 11:23
I take it that you started a case with dji, if not you should dji will also give you a discount on a new Mavic Air , usually ranges between 15/30 %, if you have then include your case number, I’m not to sure if dji Mindy is around on weekends.

Okay... yes i raised a case - CAS-2455602-P2R7V9..
I asked them few queries in return, which they haven't responded yet.
Lets wait and watch.
2018-11-11
Use props
TechVoyager
lvl.4
India

[LATEST UPDATE]
The drone is stolen !!! and sold in gray market too

Well i was approached by a local drone search team from a DJI local club, whose i am part of. Along with them and a cop , we visited the area once again with full preparation. We surveyed the drone aerially through 2 different phantoms and the ground area was searched thoroughly by 8 people. We found one broken propeller of my drone. The cop who accompanied me asked the local farmers in his own techniques and then we came to know that the drone was immediately picked up by one of the villager the moment it crash landed. It was long gone before we reached the area itself. When we left the area after our first search operation, that same evening the drone was sold to a person who in turn sold it to a gray market dealer. So this was the whole story. So end of story - MAVIC AIR IS GONE.
The police is trying to catch hold of these people but also told us not to have any hopes of getting it back, as the parts will be sold in pieces and its untraceable.

Now good news is, i approached DJI and they have gracefully accepted to provide me some discount on my next MA [single drone unit] purchase. So waiting for the quotation from DJI, lets see. If the quoted price is good enough for me, then i will definitely take it.

Thanks for all your support, wishes and compliments. Hope someone could learn something from my ordeal. Stay safe and happy flying guys. Peace !!
2018-11-12
Use props
TechVoyager
lvl.4
India

FEW SUGGESTIONS TO DJI:

1) DJI should implement some kind of MAC ID tracking [Similar to Mobile IMEI] in their drones. In order to fly the drone, we need to activate the drone via DJI account login. So in this kind of scenario, if the thief tries to activate the stolen drone then DJI should be able to identify it through this MAC ID and should stop it or disable it or kill it [OR] atleast inform the original customer about its whereabouts through GPS co-ordinates. This kind of feature will be very helpful.

2) DJI should implement some kind of reserve battery system which should be used only after critical battery level conditions, to send atleast the GPS co-ordinates of the drone for 1 to 3 days. This will help in quick recovery of the lost drones. In my case, the battery died mid air, so after it crash landed, whether it was moved by somebody or its exact crash location could not be identified.

I think these 2 features are the most important and DJI should implement it. As these are not cheap toys, they are quite sophisticated and expensive gadgets and these kind of anti-lost techniques can help us recover our drones in many such scenarios. HOPE SOMEBODY FROM DJI CAN LOOK INTO THIS AND FORWARD THIS TO THEIR ENGINEERING TEAM.
2018-11-12
Use props
TechVoyager
lvl.4
India

Hi Guys,

I have a question: I remembered a fact that when i was flying my drone, i had kept the propeller guards ON the aircraft. Just wondering, could it be one of the reason behind this fly-away incident; because as per my theory - adding prop-guards on the drone will increase the surface area of the drone and this resulted in the drone flyaway as the increased surface area in heavy winds, increased the wind resistance for the drone to fight and also could have impacted the sports mode speeds as well due to wind resistance and additional weight. Similar to a Kite in heavy wind situations.

Was my theory right? Are we not suppose to use prop-guards in such conditions? where to use prop- guards and where not?

Please share your thoughts on it.
Thanks.
2018-11-15
Use props
TechVoyager
lvl.4
India

Hi Guys,

A small update for you guys : I FINALLY FOUND MY LOST MAVIC AIR

The person who stole it from the crash site, tried a lot to sell it off for 2 months period, but failed to get any buyer as no-one wanted to buy a drone without a remote and a dead battery and no license.
So finally, he made up a story about how he found it, and contacted me and then shamelessly tried to sell my own drone to me in $400 . With the help of local cops, i tracked his address and caught the guy and finally my lost bird is back with me. The drone has crash landed from a very high altitude as seen from the SD card footage. But to my surprise, not a single scratch or broken parts and its flying without any problem. As the batteries were not charged since 3 months, the battery has died.

Now i have 2 MAs - as i thought that the previous drone is lost and meanwhile bought a new MA single unit from DJI . Planning to sell off my old one but not getting buyers as everyone wants to buy it with a remote and i don't have two controllers. If anyone has lost theirs MA and want to buy single unit, then they can approach me. Thanks a lot guys for all your support and help. Happy Landings !!
2019-1-21
Use props
Skeeter Honey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032569 ft
United States

TechVoyager Posted at 1-21 21:48
Hi Guys,

A small update for you guys : I FINALLY FOUND MY LOST MAVIC AIR

Awesome follow-up!

I'm so happy to hear it ended up with a happy ending.  Thank you for your tale of woe; it is just one more story on here that has helped me from making catastrophic mistakes with my MA.

Please post the video the drone recorded from that flight!
2019-1-21
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules