Samsung S7 Edge Cache to SD Card Question
717 10 2018-11-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
2Blades
lvl.3
Flight distance : 99908 ft
United States

I'm hoping to find someone with the S7 Edge that has their "cache"  pointing to their SD card and what SD card are they using for their videos.  I use this cache for showing the video from my phone without having to take the SD card out of the P4P.  Also if there ever was an issue (not going to say it) then I would have video of what was going on prior to the thing I won't say.....

Ever since getting the S7 I've had major video lag when recording to SD vs Internal storage.

I'm using  Samsung 64GB 100MB/s (U3) Evo Select (supposedily the Amazon version of the Evo Plus).

Suggestions ARE welcome also.

Thanks to all!!

2018-11-10
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. I would like to clarify if you like to have a copy of a cache file on your SD card as well? The cache files can be generated on your mobile device only for you to view it on a low quality, however, the original files would always be located on your SD card. Please keep us posted for further help and clarification.
2018-11-11
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

'Ever since getting the S7 I've had major video lag when recording to SD vs Internal storage.'

This does not make sense. 'Lag' is actually decoder delay, and is present in every MPEG based system, but it has to be compared to something. Most people refer to the lag between the real time image and that displayed on the phone's screen during flying. You cannot record lag, once it is recorded to the SD card in the aircraft it cannot be compared to anything.

However you must understand that the video recorded on your phone, the so-called 'cache', is a low resolution copy of the video from the aircraft's camera. It is also subject to any glitches or interferrence when being transmitted from the aircraft to the RC unit. The only place the real video is recorded, is the SD card in the aircraft.

2018-11-11
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

I use s7 edge for every flight have a sandisk ultra 32 gig sd card in it and haven't  noticed any lag at all.
Make sure you close all background apps prior to flight and put in airoplane mode. Dont do any phone upgrades.
2018-11-11
Use props
2Blades
lvl.3
United States

Hellsgate Posted at 11-11 16:20
I use s7 edge for every flight have a sandisk ultra 32 gig sd card in it and haven't  noticed any lag at all.
Make sure you close all background apps prior to flight and put in airoplane mode. Dont do any phone upgrades.

Glad to hear this!  That just means I have more work to do.  Maybe the first thing I need to do is ditch the Samsung EVO Select (Plus) even though it's supposed to write 100 MB/s.

I guess I'll start with a SanDisk Extreme PRO (100MB/s) and see what happens.

You said "Don't do any phone upgrades", are you on Oreo?  What about security patches?

Thanks for the reply!
2018-11-12
Use props
2Blades
lvl.3
United States

Geebax Posted at 11-11 15:20
'Ever since getting the S7 I've had major video lag when recording to SD vs Internal storage.'

This does not make sense. 'Lag' is actually decoder delay, and is present in every MPEG based system, but it has to be compared to something. Most people refer to the lag between the real time image and that displayed on the phone's screen during flying. You cannot record lag, once it is recorded to the SD card in the aircraft it cannot be compared to anything.

Yes I know the 4k videos are on the SD card in the P4P but I like the 1080 on the phone to look at until I get the card out of the P4P and onto the TV.  

These are test flights in my neighborhood, if you suspect it's interference, do you have any suggestions to get rid of them?  My Samsung S6 Edge Plus didn't have this problem except for times when there were DJI update issues.  BTW when I fly with my S7 Edge and I have these glitches (recorded on the 1080 cache), I can fly with my wife's S6 Edge Plus and the videos are clean just like the display while in flight.

Suggestions?  Thanks for the help!
2018-11-12
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

2Blades Posted at 11-12 01:41
Yes I know the 4k videos are on the SD card in the P4P but I like the 1080 on the phone to look at until I get the card out of the P4P and onto the TV.  

These are test flights in my neighborhood, if you suspect it's interference, do you have any suggestions to get rid of them?  My Samsung S6 Edge Plus didn't have this problem except for times when there were DJI update issues.  BTW when I fly with my S7 Edge and I have these glitches (recorded on the 1080 cache), I can fly with my wife's S6 Edge Plus and the videos are clean just like the display while in flight.

The SD card is not the problem, the Samsung card will be OK, the card has no effect whatsoever on the cache recording. Try to reduce the woirkload for the S7 by shutting down all apps that do not need to be running. The Go4 App is recource hungry, so put the phone in airplane mode as well.
2018-11-12
Use props
2Blades
lvl.3
United States

Geebax Posted at 11-12 11:50
The SD card is not the problem, the Samsung card will be OK, the card has no effect whatsoever on the cache recording. Try to reduce the woirkload for the S7 by shutting down all apps that do not need to be running. The Go4 App is recource hungry, so put the phone in airplane mode as well.

Thanks for the reply but I always close all apps and reboot before flight.  I will try the Airplane mode and see what happens.  I want to get this resolved since it really cuts into my flights.....don't want to lose my baby!

Thanks!
2018-11-13
Use props
2Blades
lvl.3
United States

Geebax Posted at 11-12 11:50
The SD card is not the problem, the Samsung card will be OK, the card has no effect whatsoever on the cache recording. Try to reduce the woirkload for the S7 by shutting down all apps that do not need to be running. The Go4 App is recource hungry, so put the phone in airplane mode as well.

Rebooted phone, put in Airplane Mode and flew.  More Lags as usual, upon return and landing about 2 feet high, the GO 4 app crashed.  Changed to cache to internal storage vs SD card, flight much better with maybe 2 quick lags and broght her home and landed.

The S7 Edge comes with, by default, "high performance mode" turned on.  I turned it off and had a great flight with no lags and cache to SD card.  Ran a second flight and there were a few short lags.  It had been suggested to turn on "developer mode" and enable USB debugging.  I made those changes.  I took her up again and things seemd worse. Lags and artifacts so I just landed her.

App 4.3.2  (4.3.4 now available)
Aircraft 1.05.06 (no update)
RC  1.01.01

Just don't get what else to check, someone anyone suggestions, I must have missed something!
2018-11-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

2Blades Posted at 11-16 10:09
Rebooted phone, put in Airplane Mode and flew.  More Lags as usual, upon return and landing about 2 feet high, the GO 4 app crashed.  Changed to cache to internal storage vs SD card, flight much better with maybe 2 quick lags and broght her home and landed.

The S7 Edge comes with, by default, "high performance mode" turned on.  I turned it off and had a great flight with no lags and cache to SD card.  Ran a second flight and there were a few short lags.  It had been suggested to turn on "developer mode" and enable USB debugging.  I made those changes.  I took her up again and things seemd worse. Lags and artifacts so I just landed her.

If you have caching of the video switched on, then turn it off, it is just another task that the phone has to do.
2018-11-16
Use props
2Blades
lvl.3
United States

Geebax Posted at 11-16 13:42
If you have caching of the video switched on, then turn it off, it is just another task that the phone has to do.

Yes I know.  Caching is causing the issue and that's what I'm trying to resolve.  I like to keep the 1080 video on my phone for viewing until I get a chance to see the 4k video.  Also it's great to give it to someone that does not have a 4k tv.
2018-11-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules