Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
What are .SCR and .THM files?
27412 12 2018-11-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DarthSLR
Captain
Flight distance : 1846716 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was downloading the hi-res content to my PC today, and noticed two new file types, namely .THM and .SCR.
They come in pairs, as in there will be DJI_0005.thm file AND DJI_0005.SCR file, THM being about 5-12K, and SCR file being different size ranging from 40K to 400K.
I figured SCR is some sort of image or video, and THM is its thumbnail (sizes of THM files are proportional to the respective SCR ones), but neither Windows 10, nor Adobe (latest PS CC/ACR) know how to handle either of them.
Are they usable at all? What software can I use to open them?
Thank you!
2018-11-10
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there, I appreciate your time bringing this query to us. Regarding your concern, .THM is a thumbnail file and .SCR file type is primarily associated with 'Script'. The .THM file is not needed for anything. You can safely format your card before each flight and start with a clean empty card. Should you have further question, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you.
2018-11-10
Use props
DarthSLR
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 11-10 14:07
Hi there, I appreciate your time bringing this query to us. Regarding your concern, .THM is a thumbnail file and .SCR file type is primarily associated with 'Script'. They are not needed for anything.
You can safely format your card before each flight and start with a clean empty card. Should you have further question, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you.

Thank you @Natalia. I guess I could have figured that out myself, since the primary files are video files. But now I know for sure
2018-11-10
Use props
bikoo
First Officer
Flight distance : 1534987 ft
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 11-10 14:07
Hi there, I appreciate your time bringing this query to us. Regarding your concern, .THM is a thumbnail file and .SCR file type is primarily associated with 'Script'. The .THM file is not needed for anything. You can safely format your card before each flight and start with a clean empty card. Should you have further question, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you.

Thank you
2018-11-10
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

You're most welcome.
2018-11-11
Use props
kiler129
lvl.1
United States

DJI Natalia is actually wrong Both of the files are just JPEG thumbnails with a different extension:

As you can see the .thm has a slightly better resolution than .scr.
2019-7-13
Use props
Antoine de Seze
New

Does anyone really knows what .SRC and .THM files are ?
In my Mavic 2 Pro .SRC files are biger (~500/700 Ko) than .THM files (~50/70 Ko)

I think it's about flight data but not sure at all...
2019-9-11
Use props
DarthSLR
Captain
  • >>>

Antoine de Seze Posted at 9-11 08:55
Does anyone really knows what .SRC and .THM files are ?
In my Mavic 2 Pro .SRC files are biger (~500/700 Ko) than .THM files (~50/70 Ko)

They are "screen" and "thumbnail" images. Ignore them.
2019-9-12
Use props
Doug Hallam
New

Germany

If you would like to be able to view these files, just change the extension from either ".THM" or ".SCR" to ".jpg" .
These can then be viewed by any jpg viewer.

All the .SCR and .THN files on my AIR 2 are in 960x540 and 160x90 px respectively.

The ".SCR" files your DJI generates are NOT script files.

Unlike photos you take using your controller which are tagged with GPS coordinates and flight hight, these small lfiles are not tagged with GEO data

Happy viewing :-)
Doug
2020-8-7
Use props
Astrid
lvl.1

Norway

Hi,

I've been searching on my SD-card to find the flight logs for my flights. The only thing I can find is .thm and .scr-files, and also a .gis-file (size 42 000 KB). After reading your discussion above I realize that my .thm and .scr-files are just photos? So there is no use in spending more time trying to find a flight record in them? What about the .gis-file, do you know how to open it, and if there is any chance to find a flight record there?

The drone is a relatively old Mavic 2 that I haven't used in a while. Earlier I got flight logs (text-files), but now I cannot find them.. Anyone who have had the same problem?

Astrid
2022-5-9
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Captain
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The flight logs are on the phone, have a look at the instructions on https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
On some drones there is a DAT on the mSD card but the appropriate folder does not appear on the the mSD card from my Mavic 2 Zoom/Pro.

Note if you use an RC1B controller you likely have no DAT flight logs, that version of the controller does not seem to create them. If you have an RC1A controller and DO NOT sync your logs with DJI there should be DATs in the ''MCDatFlightRecords'' folder.

There are DAT's  on the drone but we mere morals can not decrypt them.
2022-5-9
Use props
djiuser_1OX4O7jbro63
New
Flight distance : 7090 ft
United States

kiler129 Posted at 2019-7-13 15:25
DJI Natalia is actually wrong  Both of the files are just JPEG thumbnails with a different extension:
[view_image]

Actually, the scr is a higher rez than the thm file.  The SCR file is used by some programs as a screen saver, thus the larger file size.
2023-3-10
Use props
VladThPropeller
lvl.1
Flight distance : 194219 ft
Australia

Doug Hallam Posted at 2020-8-7 01:29
If you would like to be able to view these files, just change the extension from either ".THM" or ".SCR" to ".jpg" .
These can then be viewed by any jpg viewer.

Doug, thank you.
I'm doing my drone crash analysis and every bit of information is important for my claim to the insurance company.
2023-12-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules