Inspire 2 firmware opens up new possibilities - dont fly!
956 7 2018-11-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GeoffG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810082 ft
United Kingdom

I've grounded our I2 due to my concerns about battery issues.  

In view of the fact that this, and the problems with the latest ac firmware, are really serious, not to mention embarrassing, for we professional operators, would DJI find it within their remit to at least keep us updated about their progress in solving the problems?  Perhaps they could also tell us which batteries are affected, or is this too much to ask?  

I think that a regularly updated thread on the state of these issues is the very least we could expect.  

2018-11-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi GeoffG, it has come to our attention that a few TB50 and TB55 batteries may display the battery power in the app inaccurately. After assessing the issue, we have confirmed that it can be fixed with a firmware update. The new firmware will be released in the next few weeks.
For the issues with the latest firmware, we have released the beta firmware here: https://forum.dji.com/thread-169577-1-1.html that customers can apply to have a try, and the official firmware will also be released very soon, we appreciate your patience and sorry for the trouble caused.
2018-11-12
Use props
GeoffG
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Hello Mindy, thanks for your response, which prompts me to ask the following questions:

1. Is it the battery firmware of the ac firmware which is causing the problem?
2. Can you please identify which version of the offending fw is at fault?

Until I'm aware of these facts I cannot take the appropriate action and reasonably satisfy myself that "flights can be safely made". This causes a problem in complying with my Operations manual which, of course,  
is a UK CAA requirement of my permission to fly.
Thanks in advance.

2018-11-12
Use props
GeoffG
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Hi Mindy, thanks for your pm, I'll await your engineers comments.  i hope it's quicker than your resonse to my query 4 months ago about caching sat images though!!

Is anyone else on the forum aware of whether the battery failure problem is with the battery fw or the ac fw?  It would be a simple way of knowing whether or not it's safe to fly.
2018-11-14
Use props
fans41f3800c
Second Officer
Flight distance : 529836 ft
  • >>>
United States

Don’t worry about it. Round your aircraft and get in the unemployment line. Will do it when we get around to it thanks for your understanding
2018-11-14
Use props
GeoffG
lvl.4
United Kingdom

fans41f3800c Posted at 11-14 05:31
Don’t worry about it. Round your aircraft and get in the unemployment line. Will do it when we get around to it thanks for your understanding

My sentiments precisely.  Sounds to me like they don't know where the problem is at all.  
2018-11-14
Use props
Altitude Drones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1488520 ft
United Kingdom

From my understanding it could be a FW problem with either drone or battery. I guess thats what they are trying to sort out.

I do know that there is communication between DJI and the CAA so things are moving forward. I'd imagine that since the UK Police are using DJI's equipment as part of their fleet, it's something that will be fixed in the near future - as opposed to a regular customers issues.

It would make sense that if one countries authority has an issue then other countries, especially in the EU or America will have to follow suit because of insurance and safety issues. So I'd hope things will move much faster than the normal 'Thanks for your understanding - see you next season' type attitude.

In regards to flying safely. It's up to your own judgement. I haven't updated any FW for over a year and have never had an issue like the recent reports. In this case I'll fly cautiously and abide the CAA restrictions but am still confident that my I2 isn't effected.  

If I'd updated since the reports came in then I'd be much more cautious.

The CAA have stated that there is no reports of battery failure of this kind related to an I2. only to to the M200.

I picture a DJI team working in a clinical environment trying to locate these issues. Some times it seems like it might just be a guy working in the backroom of a corner shop on his day off. Either way a little more COMMUNICATION would be greatly appreciated by all the people paying for that team or guys wages!
2018-11-14
Use props
GeoffG
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Altitude Drones Posted at 11-14 14:50
From my understanding it could be a FW problem with either drone or battery. I guess thats what they are trying to sort out.

I do know that there is communication between DJI and the CAA so things are moving forward. I'd imagine that since the UK Police are using DJI's equipment as part of their fleet, it's something that will be fixed in the near future - as opposed to a regular customers issues.

I agree with most of what you say, but think that DJI should tell us if the problem has only been associated with known permutations of firmware.  That would solve my safe to fly issue completely (assuming that i was with the correct fw of course).

Perhaps they are not sure........

2018-11-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules