Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Android DJIGO4 V4.3.4 ??
3265 26 2018-11-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nidge
Captain

United Kingdom

Hi
This is not so much a moan rather an observation.

I’ve been using v4.2.14 on a Samsung S7 for quite sometime and other than the convoluted OTG connection I’ve not really had any issues. Even  the WiFi connection from the phone to the controller, while having a little latency, was usable if I didn’t have my OTG cable with me.

Today, while heavily pain medicated, I had the mad urge to update the App to v4.3.4. And this is where my pain medication lost its efficacy.

As soon as I went into the camera view I was greeted with a frozen video feed over the WiFi link. When the link restored itself the latency was a good three seconds, was very choppy and pixilated, and repeatedly disconnected and reconnected. Using my 6th Gen iPad with v4.3.3. none of these issues were present.

The next backward step I noticed in the the latest Android App was the Map. Why have DJI chosen to go the Mapbox route rather than the Google Earth industry standard. The resolution for this area is rediculously low resolution and there are image errors all over the place. I’ve included two screenshots, one from the DJIGO4 App and the other from Droidplanner, which is opensource and uses Google maps.

Thirdly the disparity in the GeoZones. On my iPad I’m in a clear and drone friendly area but on the Android App I’m apparently in an area that requires me to go through the hidden tick box routine every time I arm the Spark. However with my DJI Datalink using the GS App on my iPad I’m not even able to arm my hexacopter as DJI have made this same area Cat A no fly zone.

Please DJI, can we please have a higher degree of consistency with software that supports our expensive toys?

2018-11-12
Use props
Nidge
Captain

United Kingdom

2018-11-12
Use props
White Ox
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98281 ft

United States

I too experienced the "Connect  for a couple seconds, disconnect for a couple, rinse, repeat" issue on Android 4.3.4 today...

Of course, I was setting up a new Nexus 7 2013 and wanted to play with some  overclocking.  It took me a while to sort out that the DJI Go 4 app was NOT the same version as the one (4.3.2) on my other Nexus 7 2013.  So I spent a huge chunk of  effort pi$$ing away time thinking it was all in the overclocking / Elementalx Kernal until I finally thought to check the Go 4 version.  Needless to say, I was a bit irritated.

Eventually, when I figured out that DJI had updated the app, I deleted 4.3.4 and sideloaded 4.3.2.  Things began to work...and now I'm overclocking my 1.5GHz process or to just shy of  1.9 and all seems to be working correctly.  My goal is 2.0GHz, which in a perfect world, is 33% improvement in processing capability. I have some more playing to do.
2018-11-12
Use props
Nidge
Captain

United Kingdom

White Ox Posted at 11-12 15:28
I too experienced the "Connect  for a couple seconds, disconnect for a couple, rinse, repeat" issue on Android 4.3.4 today...

Of course, I was setting up a new Nexus 7 2013 and wanted to play with some  overclocking.  It took me a while to sort out that the DJI Go 4 app was NOT the same version as the one (4.3.2) on my other Nexus 7 2013.  So I spent a huge chunk of  effort pi$$ing away time thinking it was all in the overclocking / Elementalx Kernal until I finally thought to check the Go 4 version.  Needless to say, I was a bit irritated.

I haven’t done any overclocking since the 486DX days and to be honest I wouldn’t know where to start today.

I appreciate the argument, to an extent, that there are many differences in Android devices and the flavours of the OS but like the iPad my Samsung Galaxy S7 is on DJI’s preferred list of compatible devices. As such it’s not unreasonable to expect a newer version of the APP to be better than the previous, or at least just as good, certainly not a retrograde step.

I can’t fault DJI’s hardware BUT the way they implement their software leaves an awful lot to be desired, it’s as if the task has been given to a dyslexic three year old chimpanzee. Other manufacturers have been successful, even the opensource communities are light years ahead. On top of that, and after making their SDK available, DJI have the audacity to tell it’s customers that using third party software with their products may invalidate the warranty in a claim situation.

Deep breaths...

Toaday’s fun time activity will be to roll back the App to 4.2.14 as, while not perfect, it was usable.

Regards

Nidge.
2018-11-13
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5910961 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

go back to 4.2.21.

All versions after that are not really made because of changes for the Spark
And it is really stabil

2018-11-13
Use props
jyc
Captain
Flight distance : 2246224 ft
Canada

On Android it's hard to keep up with DJI, in fact one would need to be ten steps ahead from the start.
2018-11-13
Use props
MavSpa_user
Captain
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Always check https://www.dji.com/spark/info#downloads which version, never update if none changes are made for Spark, in fact 4.1.15 works flawless on most devices (even on android 4.4.2).
Official OTG support I recommended what S-e-ven said version 4.2.21.
You can always check on above link the release_note what is changed in several versions
2018-11-13
Use props
White Ox
lvl.4

United States

I guess I should do some backwards  testing.

I got into the Spark  with I think - 4.3.0 with my Google Pixel 2 with  either Oreo, or PIe can't recall which.  Plenty of horsepower, no app crashes, just way too small to see with my aging eyes.  I've been chasing my tail trying to get everything to work on my Nexus 7 2013 (with 4.3.2) as good as it seemed to on my Pixel 2.  I'm beginning to think I need to go back a few revisions until I find something that works super well so I can fully understand what should be expected from newer versions as far as pixelated viewer and the like.  I'd like to go back far enough that the video cache works too.  Not long after getting my spark, it ended up in a tree and the cache from my Pixel 2 helped me determine exactly which tree out of half a dozen and thus, aided in the spark's recovery.  Question is, how far back should I go to start this process?

When did they "officiallly" re-support OTG?

To top it off, I also now have a Mavic Platinum Pro - so going backwards means the potential of loosing "newly added features" on  two birds.
I am SO ANTI IOS...... but it's becoming pretty clear to me, DJI GO 4 app doesn't cater to the I-Device Hater. lol

2018-11-13
Use props
ssylca44
Captain
Flight distance : 434721 ft
Canada

I have just updated to Android V4.3.4, hopefully, it will be ok.
2018-11-13
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

White Ox Posted at 11-13 04:22
I guess I should do some backwards  testing.

I got into the Spark  with I think - 4.3.0 with my Google Pixel 2 with  either Oreo, or PIe can't recall which.  Plenty of horsepower, no app crashes, just way too small to see with my aging eyes.  I've been chasing my tail trying to get everything to work on my Nexus 7 2013 (with 4.3.2) as good as it seemed to on my Pixel 2.  I'm beginning to think I need to go back a few revisions until I find something that works super well so I can fully understand what should be expected from newer versions as far as pixelated viewer and the like.  I'd like to go back far enough that the video cache works too.  Not long after getting my spark, it ended up in a tree and the cache from my Pixel 2 helped me determine exactly which tree out of half a dozen and thus, aided in the spark's recovery.  Question is, how far back should I go to start this process?

I suggest you try first the 4.1.15 (Version 30.xxxxx)
If that works, try 4.2.21
4.1.15 may need the "old" otg connecting, first start RC, connect cable to device, if RC LED is solid red, connect other side to RC, phone starts (asked) Go4, start Spark, LED green, go fly
4.2.21 usually starts always, no matter how you connect the phone to RC

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/dji-technology-co-ltd/dji-go-4/
2018-11-13
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

ssylca44 Posted at 11-13 08:32
I have just updated to Android V4.3.4, hopefully, it will be ok.

Good luck!
2018-11-13
Use props
White Ox
lvl.4

United States

Quick question... was your remote by any chance lower than 50% charge when you tried 4.3.4?
2018-11-13
Use props
ssylca44
Captain
Canada

Hi White OX,

My remote was fully charged, but I had the re-boot my Android tablet (V6) to get the App to work.
2018-11-13
Use props
White Ox
lvl.4

United States

Ok...interesting discovery for me....

with 4.3.4, I was having the horrible connect /disconnect loop - over n over.  I thought it was app related... Now, I'm not sure.

I rolled back to 4.2.21 and buzz-bombed around for a while playing with some GPU overclocking and i/o scheduler and fsync enabled/disabled settings trying to find if anything made it better..  Not knowing if I was getting "as good as it will ever be",   I decided drop to 4.1.15, as I know via forum posts that others were having good success with the Nexus 7 2013 on it and I'll bet all but a couple were running pretty close to stock.

Upon rolling back, and changing the above settings back to stock, I started having connect / disconnect issues all over again and nothing I changed back to "non-stock", made a bit of difference.  I remembered reading another forum post a few days ago about a different app version that someone had connect/disconnect issues with - so they went  back to 4.1.15 as well.. and still had the issues.  Turned out, they were @ or just under 50% on their remote power, and once fully charged, things went away.

Not wanting to wait for a charge / climate changes, I got out an OTG / External power adapter I have from another project (this lets me charge both the remote, and the tablet, simultaneously while keeping the data communication open between remote and tablet).  VIOLA.. Instant gratification.  Not a single disconnect.  I continued with this setup as I worked my way back into the i/o revisions above all over again to  make the camera view refresh even faster.

Another lesson learned is that with all the fly aways / lost bird stories I've read, I keep mine on a pretty short leash.  Lots of back and forth side to side / circle patterns.  To do it correctly, one needs to always have the backs of the antenna's aimed at the bird - this in fact keeps there from being any pixelation on my setup.  If I don't face the bird or tilt the remote up when it's close in overhead, the refresh rate on the camera view begins  to deteriorate.

Third and final lesson was startup sequence for the first flight / each battery change.  Upon the remote connecting to the bird and going into the camera view the first time,  I can swing the gimbal down/back up without ever taking off and tell if the view is going to be laggy or not - most of the time, it will be on this first connection.  All I have to do it hit the little "DJI" emblem at the top left of the screen to exit the camera view, wait a couple seconds and then click "Go FLY" and once in the camera view again, a gimbal swing verifies no lag.  It's almost as if  exiting out of the viewer and coming back in cleans up some remaining garbage using up valuable resources.

Currently, on this 5yr old tablet, I've got things working so well that I can hover over the grass and watch the leaves flickering in the prop-wash. or cop a squat in front of the flag hanging off my front porch and watch it gently sway in the breeze....  all while saving the video to cache on my tablet.

Next step is to charge things up, and move up to 4.2.21 and apply what I've learned above - having the OTG Re-supported version would be nice.  If all goes well, I'll bump up another few revisions and try it all again till I find the limit of my newly overclocked 5yr old tablet. lol
2018-11-13
Use props
jyc
Captain
Canada

White Ox Posted at 11-13 13:14
Ok...interesting discovery for me....

with 4.3.4, I was having the horrible connect /disconnect loop - over n over.  I thought it was app related... Now, I'm not sure.

Hey White Ox are you running stock Android on your Nexus 7 or a custom rom such as Lineage OS?
2018-11-16
Use props
White Ox
lvl.4

United States

I'm running Stock Marshmallow (6.0.1) but using ElementaX kernel which allows me to overclock the CPU and GPU as well as change some of the I/O settings.
2018-11-16
Use props
jyc
Captain
Canada

White Ox Posted at 11-16 13:12
I'm running Stock Marshmallow (6.0.1) but using ElementaX kernel which allows me to overclock the CPU and GPU as well as change some of the I/O settings.

I'm planning on getting a Nexus 7, I'll flash mine right off the bat with Lineage OS (nougat 7.1.2). Of course I'll try to run DJI Go on it, we'll seen how it goes.
2018-11-17
Use props
Tentoes
Captain
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

I abandoned android (for droning) when Sully handed me an old iPhone and said, "We'll dedicate this phone to the drone."

As far as doing anything else with an iPhone, I'm rather lost. I use my android for everything else. Well, not forum posting or video editing....
2018-11-17
Use props
jyc
Captain
Canada

Tentoes Posted at 11-17 08:04
I abandoned android (for droning) when Sully handed me an old iPhone and said, "We'll dedicate this phone to the drone."

As far as doing anything else with an iPhone, I'm rather lost. I use my android for everything else. Well, not forum posting or video editing....

What is the model of your IPhone?
2018-11-17
Use props
Tentoes
Captain
United States

jyc Posted at 11-17 09:03

I have not found how to tell.

Like I said, I'm an android guy.
2018-11-17
Use props
Tentoes
Captain
United States

jyc Posted at 11-17 09:03

I have not found how to tell.

Like I said, I'm an android guy.
2018-11-17
Use props
Hani
Captain
Flight distance : 1392995 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use an iPhone and no issues so far. I hope DJI find a fix for the connection issues Android users face.
2018-11-17
Use props
Sparkz71
First Officer
Flight distance : 24259 ft
Australia

Nidge Posted at 11-13 01:55
I haven’t done any overclocking since the 486DX days and to be honest I wouldn’t know where to start today.

I appreciate the argument, to an extent, that there are many differences in Android devices and the flavours of the OS but like the iPad my Samsung Galaxy S7 is on DJI’s preferred list of compatible devices. As such it’s not unreasonable to expect a newer version of the APP to be better than the previous, or at least just as good, certainly not a retrograde step.

I'm from the pre 486 family. Imagine running Windows 3.1 on a 386 when DOS worked...  But a 486 takes another jump & allowed much better multitasking. Yet, the old 286 was faster to use for short notes - boot - type - print. Simple.
Try an older version of DJI GO 4 - no big updates since 4.2.0 for Spark - all backward since then.... wasted space - try 4.1.15 or 4.1.22.  
2018-11-19
Use props
ArnoSpark
First Officer
Kenya

S-e-ven Posted at 11-13 08:48
I suggest you try first the 4.1.15 (Version 30.xxxxx)
If that works, try 4.2.21
4.1.15 may need the "old" otg connecting, first start RC, connect cable to device, if RC LED is solid red, connect other side to RC, phone starts (asked) Go4, start Spark, LED green, go fly

So i stay on my 4.1.15 i was really thinking of giving the new SW a chance and test it, but now as i am seeing there is no point and i just stick to what is working well so far. And i have never tried to use the 4.2.21 what is the different from 4.1.15 ?
2018-11-21
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

4.2.21 is the first officiell with OTG (afaik)
The main advantage is that the connection to the RC is a "just plug it in" experienc. (mostly ;-)

I use both:
4.1.15 Mod 2.0
4.2.21 DJI Go4 ori
(all after is not for me, right now.
Would need some nice added flightmodes, to try any of them.
Or a mavic 2 in my possession)

2018-11-22
Use props
ssylca44
Captain
Canada

Hi Sparkz71,
You are not alone, I'm from the Z80 period! but I still try to keep up with the latest software/firmware.
Cheers,
S.
2018-11-22
Use props
Sparkz71
First Officer
Flight distance : 24259 ft
Australia

My notes / observations follow.  Downgrade the DJI Go 4 app to a version that works for you.  Trial & error.
(I have 2 phones to test with - same brand/model but different colours...)

APK DJI GO 4  v 4.1.22 - OK - plain text logs within the app - no offline map - sat view works -  ***  testing white phone
-: Spark:
- Optimized device connection and activation guide.
- Added support when simultaneously downloading firmware updates for both the aircraft and remote controller.

DJI GO 4 4.2.6 - OK - plain text log within the app - no offline map
-: No change mentioned for Spark.

DJI GO 4 4.2.8 - TBA - encrypted logs  - no offline map
-: No change mentioned for Spark.

DJI GO 4.2.12 - TBA -OFFLINE MAP WORKS  - *** testing black phone
-: DJI GO 4.2.12 Release Note
Spark (Android only)
- Optimized OTG performance and bugfixes in camera view.
Mavic Air
- Added instruction for Group Selfie in SmartCapture mode.
- Optimized APAS interactive experience.
General
- Simplified and reduced pop-up messages.
- Optimized offline map performance (Android only).
- Supported media sharing in Playback (Android only).
- General bug fixes.

DJI GO 4.2.14 - TBA - OFFLINE MAP WORKS
-: General
Optimized low power take-off prompt in sub-zero temperatures.

DJI GO 4 4.3.4 - NO GOOD! Disconects within 2 m / 6 ft.
2018-12-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules