Mavic Air Rocking During Flight
1224 4 2018-11-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Spasm
lvl.1
United States

Had an interesting issue with a recent flight with my Mavic Air.  I had set up Active Track to follow a boat I was in, and told the driver to keep it under 30 mph (not sure if she did), which is about the slowest the boat can go and stay on plane. As we took off, I was watching the video on my phone, it was looking fine, but when I looked up at the drone, it started rocking wildly side to side.  I had the driver chop the throttle and as the drone caught up, the rocking stopped. It had to be close to falling out of the sky. Reviewing the video, the rocking was more than the gimbal could compensate for, so the rocking shows in the video.  

Reviewing the flight logs on airdata, I see the following:

Motor current error. Check your propellers and fly with caution.

Not Enough Force/ESC Error (repeated 12 times)

According to airdata, the MA hit a max speed of 32 mph.

Earlier flights that day (on land) had no issues.  And I haven't seen the 2 errors listed above previously on any flights.

Any thoughts on what happened, or anything else I can check to get more diagnostic info?

Thanks.

2018-11-12
Use props
DJIJAKOB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 740577 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Is your AC updated to the latest firmware? If I'm not incorrect there was a previous FW update that solved abnormal shaking/rocking when flying in ActiveTrack mode.
2018-11-12
Use props
Mikem691
Second Officer
Flight distance : 247474 ft
United States

How high was it? There could have been an up draft from the boat causing the strange behavior.
2018-11-12
Use props
Spasm
lvl.1
United States

DJIJAKOB Posted at 11-12 13:48
Is your AC updated to the latest firmware? If I'm not incorrect there was a previous FW update that solved abnormal shaking/rocking when flying in ActiveTrack mode.

I am running one firmware version behind, on 0400.   I have seen how some people had shaking issues, but I didn't see anything about rocking like I had.   I have seen posts of folks that had issues immediately with the latest release 0500, and rolled back to 0400.   I guess I won't know until I try it.  

My feeling was that the issue was more a result of pushing the MA to it's max speed, but that's just a guess.
2018-11-12
Use props
Spasm
lvl.1
United States

Mikem691 Posted at 11-12 15:51
How high was it? There could have been an up draft from the boat causing the strange behavior.

That's an interesting thought.  Flight data show max height of 58 feet.  Max drone speed of 32.4 mph, and the boat was slowly pulling away.
2018-11-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules