Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Drone & Production Showreel - Feedback Appreciated
12Next >
4534 40 2018-11-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kestrel Scot
Captain
Flight distance : 71250 ft
United Kingdom

Hi all, just completed my Drone & Production Autumn 2018 Showreel for the splash page of my new website, which is currently under construction ...would appreciate amy comments, especially anything negative as theres always room for improvement.
What I am currently lacking which I need to do soon is drone some sport or people, so far its all scenery, so need to get that done if i want to cover all bases.

All input much appreciated ...hope you enjoy !

2018-11-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very nice footage.
Good flying and great subjects.

The color grading might be a bit too contrasty for my taste, but that is all personal of course.  
2018-11-12
Use props
QuadFunAus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 38835 ft
Australia

Nice work, what drone was used in your shots?
2018-11-12
Use props
Kestrel Scot
Captain
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 11-12 13:31
Very nice footage.
Good flying and great subjects.

Thank you and appreciate the feedback ...i haven't added too much contrast at all, just enough for what i considered making it look more cinelike, the autumn colours have been so powerful this season i was actually considering de-saturating it but thought that would be crazy.

I've now added some ND filters to the bag so lets see what the winter brings.

Thanks again
2018-11-12
Use props
Kestrel Scot
Captain
United Kingdom

QuadFunAus Posted at 11-12 13:33
Nice work, what drone was used in your shots?

It was the MA, thanks for your feedback
2018-11-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Kestrel Scot Posted at 11-12 14:23
Thank you and appreciate the feedback ...i haven't added too much contrast at all, just enough for what i considered making it look more cinelike, the autumn colours have been so powerful this season i was actually considering de-saturating it but thought that would be crazy.

I've now added some ND filters to the bag so lets see what the winter brings.

You're welcome.
What color profile did you shoot in?
2018-11-12
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

The color contrast is very sharp. Nice footage to me.
2018-11-12
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

WOW just Wow, stunning video really great place to fly
2018-11-12
Use props
Grayson123
lvl.1

Malaysia

WOW stunning video!
2018-11-13
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Excellent video
2018-11-13
Use props
AlexPapadas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 93235 ft
Greece

Nice footage  and excellent montage!
2018-11-13
Use props
Kestrel Scot
Captain
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 11-12 14:35
You're welcome.
What color profile did you shoot in?

I believe all the scenes were shot with flat settings in D-Cinelike
2018-11-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Kestrel Scot Posted at 11-13 00:56
I believe all the scenes were shot with flat settings in D-Cinelike

Ok.
That does need some extra contrast indeed.
2018-11-13
Use props
Kestrel Scot
Captain
United Kingdom

I have now purchased Polarpro ND Filters 4-16 for the winter. I prefer to shoot between 24-30 fps but my shutter speed has been too high and needs to be more around 60 so I'm expecting them to help me achieve that plus I can get the motion blur which looks so much better if I'm going to eventually add Sport, Vehicles and People to the promo.   
2018-11-13
Use props
Kestrel Scot
Captain
United Kingdom

Theres a couple of flaws in the promo which nobody has picked up on.

Firstly and really annoyingly, I filmed for a whole day without noticing that there was a smudge on the lens in the top left corner. I remember seeing it at one point thinking it was lens glare but it was only when I got it into post that I realised it was on every clip ...you can see it appear several times but hopefully gets mistaken for maybe cloud or glare, on other occasions I had to crop it out.

Secondly, the scene where the horses are engulfed by smoke on the farm, i overcompensated for the dusk conditions and ended up with quite a lot of noise. I'm not aware of any great solution to noise so I added a cartoon effect in FCP which smoothes it out. Its certainly not something I wanted to do or something I would ever recommend doing, but as it is a relatively short scene I used it as its quite an interesting and dramatic clip.

So, the drone is always teaching us new things and pitfalls to learn from. Since I lost my first MA in a Scottish Loch, I've changed the way I think about every flight, also learn the exposure triangle to which there's a perfect video on this site that explains it ...and always wipe your lens ...happy droning !!
2018-11-13
Use props
Kestrel Scot
Captain
United Kingdom

PS: If anyone is aware of a way of removing the smudge on the top left of some of the scenes it would be appreciated. Easy for the screen shots in Photoshop, but haven't found a solution for the video in FCP
2018-11-13
Use props
Thriller
First Officer
Flight distance : 374337 ft
Italy

A lot of beautiful place. Great job, nice footage. This video is stunning. Thanks for sharing.
2018-11-13
Use props
Hartyaj
First Officer
Flight distance : 49478 ft

Australia

Some amazing places and scenery, awesome shoot.
2018-11-13
Use props
RobSkyHigh
Captain
Flight distance : 1640 ft
United States

Kestrel Scot Posted at 11-13 01:15
Theres a couple of flaws in the promo which nobody has picked up on.

Firstly and really annoyingly, I filmed for a whole day without noticing that there was a smudge on the lens in the top left corner. I remember seeing it at one point thinking it was lens glare but it was only when I got it into post that I realised it was on every clip  ...you can see it appear several times but hopefully gets mistaken for maybe cloud or glare, on other occasions I had to crop it out.

There's a company called NEAT that makes the best software for noise reduction.  It's can be purchased as a plug-in that works with Premiere Pro, After Effects and I believe FCP X as well.
2018-11-13
Use props
HendrikJB
Captain
Flight distance : 2132792 ft
South Africa

Excellent footage however at around 1:07 - 1:09 there are changes between following scenes that are too quick to see what was being captured.
2018-11-13
Use props
Kestrel Scot
Captain
United Kingdom

HendrikJB Posted at 11-13 14:03
Excellent footage however at around 1:07 - 1:09 there are changes between following scenes that are too quick to see what was being captured.

Thanks for your input ...i just did that mainly to show a bit of creativity with the rhythmical timing more-so to showcase production. All of those scenes have either been seen elsewhere on the reel or are not of any great importance.
2018-11-13
Use props
Aeromirage
Captain
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

Awesome indeed!!!
2018-11-13
Use props
Aeromirage
Captain
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

Look farmilliar??

b.jpg
2018-11-13
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Captain
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Of course this is a collage with chunks of wildly different material, but for a desired effect of a showreel much better consistency is required. Some shoots are overexposed, some underexposed, everything in general is oversaturated and lacking shadows details. Back to the darkroom !
2018-11-13
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Outstanding work.
2018-11-13
Use props
Klaus W.
Captain
Flight distance : 118366 ft
Germany

Nice footage and editing, the colors pop a little too much for my taste.
2018-11-13
Use props
HendrikJB
Captain
Flight distance : 2132792 ft
South Africa

Kestrel Scot Posted at 11-13 14:35
Thanks for your input ...i just did that mainly to show a bit of creativity with the rhythmical timing more-so to showcase production. All of those scenes have either been seen elsewhere on the reel or are not of any great importance.

Thank you for the explanation, however I found it disturbing the rhythm and it may be the case for others that you are trying to reach as well.

The trick is to try and see not what YOU THINK others see but trying to put you in THEIR POSITION and criticize from that viewpoint. YOU KNOW what you want to convey and because you know your subject matter you may think that you are succeeding whist you are actually missing the goal completely.  

IMHO, if I understand what you are trying to "sell", the video does not succeed.  If I were a potential customer I would go like "what`s this trying to tell me?"  and MY PERSONAL reaction would be "NOTHING".  It comes across as a jumble of awesome scenes but NOT WHAT IT CAN DO FOR ME.

The message that I think you are trying to convey is "This guy/company is excellent I must use them for my xxx project"  IMHO it does not give that impression. (I find it difficult to use the correct words to help you, sorry)
I`m not criticizing the quality of the footage, I`m criticizing the "MESSAGE" that I think it is trying to convey.

2018-11-13
Use props
Mullheliflier
Captain
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You have some beautiful footage. Some of the changeovers were a wee bit quick for me as I would have liked a second or two longer to take in the scenery.
2018-11-14
Use props
Kestrel Scot
Captain
United Kingdom

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 11-13 18:25
Of course this is a collage with chunks of wildly different material, but for a desired effect of a showreel much better consistency is required. Some shoots are overexposed, some underexposed, everything in general is oversaturated and lacking shadows details. Back to the darkroom !

Agreed and much appreciated, at the moment I am striving for a more cinematic look colour wise. I wanted the reel to have a colour theme but with so many different scenes it was difficult to make it flow in that respect. Im going to head up to the Isle of Skye and NW Scotland shortly with a view to capturing a combination of ground and aerial video all of which I am challenging myself to colour grade in a consistent way. None of the video on the reel has ND filters been used, I have now added 4-16 to the bag, I did a shoot at a dockyard the other day and was very pleased with the motion blur on the wind turbine so I think the filters will make a big difference.

Thanks again
2018-11-14
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hey, nice montage and interesting locations. But I have to agree with the others, the colours were waaaaay to bright. I'd definitely suggest you turn saturation down.
2018-11-14
Use props
Kestrel Scot
Captain
United Kingdom

HendrikJB Posted at 11-13 21:52
Thank you for the explanation, however I found it disturbing the rhythm and it may be the case for others that you are trying to reach as well.

The trick is to try and see not what YOU THINK others see but trying to put you in THEIR POSITION and criticize from that viewpoint. YOU KNOW what you want to convey and because you know your subject matter you may think that you are succeeding whist you are actually missing the goal completely.  

Thanks for the time you took to write that, I appreciate and value your honesty as its the only way to improve and I do agree 100% ...it was why I put this to the forum ...I have the eye but need to learn a lot more about colour grading and post production work. I am going to be doing a lot more research and watching a lot more videos.

I have attached a link to a film I have found very inspiration, some drone work some ground videography ...other than very talented film making, what do you feel are the core elements that they have achieved to make this look so great ...although I am still unsure whether sound effects have been used or original audio ...I love this more de-saturated look

2018-11-14
Use props
Kestrel Scot
Captain
United Kingdom

Here is a short clip I filmed a couple of days ago at a place on the River Thames called Tilbury Docks whilst testing my ND filters for the first time. Quite interesting but nothing spectacular plus it was a little late in the day, but it had the desired effect with the motion blur on the wind turbine as I was able to lower the shutter speed.

The clip has not been colour graded, but for my own learning curve I would be interested to hear what you would do with the clip in post production.

All comments appreciated, thanks for all feedback so far on this thread

PS: when i view the clip on a smaller screen I get a lot of line distortion on the cars in the car park at about 8 seconds (sorry forgot the correct terminology), however when I watch it on a big screen it seems fine.

Filmed at 30 fps

2018-11-14
Use props
djiuser_sYnOY2HQeLTp
lvl.1

Algeria

that's truly impressive. the colors, the footage, everything is really perfect. thank you very much for sharing this with us, I really liked it
2018-11-16
Use props
Grayson123
lvl.1

Malaysia

WOW ya I don't know that I, I saw it on fb before and it looks great so I used it as my profile picture
2018-11-16
Use props
Tibopix
Captain
Flight distance : 4582054 ft
Canada

Great demo, a bit too saturated though and the shadows are a little too dark.
Darker areas in your images shouldn't be pitch black, we should be able to see at least some details in there.
Between 0 and 255, maybe try to set your shadows around 10-15 and your highlights around 240.
2018-11-16
Use props
Tomcatuk
Captain
Flight distance : 28743 ft
United Kingdom

I really liked that and the music, (so much so went back and watched it again) I'm no expert on the tech side so leave that to other's to comment, just a really nice video thanks for sharing
2018-11-16
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Captain
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

Great job. Thanks for sharing.
2018-11-16
Use props
Kevin Halle
Captain
Flight distance : 1297612 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very nicely done. Beautiful footage.
2018-11-19
Use props
Adolf Aspri
lvl.1
Argentina

Nice  pic.
2018-11-20
Use props
Nils1976
lvl.3
Flight distance : 454875 ft
Germany

Wow, your videos are amazing! Keep them coming!
2018-11-23
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules