Ok.. Android Question for the group .. Seeking input
1156 18 2018-11-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14843274 ft
United States

Ok, I am about to upgrade my phone.  I am currently running a Samsung Note 5 running Adroid 7.  Yes, I know that it isn't on the "Approved" list, but for the past 19 months, it has been absolutly FLAWLESS in operation with my Mavic Pro.  But my phone is starting to show its age.  I'm wanting to find out is anyone has any recommendations for a replacement phone.  Preferable Samsung, I love the Note Series.  

Yes, there will be some of  you suggest that I go Apple.  Apple is a No-Go.  Years ago, I had an Apple and it was wonderful.  For a while.  After many BAD exeperiences with IPhones and ITunes, I gave up on them.  So Iphones are not even considered.  

So I am looking for input from the samsung users as to what sort of problem have you encountered and which model has been reliable?  
2018-11-12
Use props
Ryan Olivas
lvl.4

United States

Samsung Note 8 is the one to go.
2018-11-12
Use props
Brentjuh
lvl.3
Flight distance : 115728 ft
Netherlands

I have a samsung note 8, and i loving it. Dji go 4 will work great with it.
2018-11-13
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
United States

Thank you for the input.  My Note 5 has been rock solid for every flight that I've made and I admit, I've been spoiled by the reliability.  But My 5 is getting older and starting to crash on me, and to tell the truth, I don't want to take the risk.....  I sorta like my MP.

Ya'll fly safe.  
2018-11-13
Use props
Far_North
Second Officer
Flight distance : 278379 ft
Canada

Brad Bilger Posted at 11-13 05:07
Thank you for the input.  My Note 5 has been rock solid for every flight that I've made and I admit, I've been spoiled by the reliability.  But My 5 is getting older and starting to crash on me, and to tell the truth, I don't want to take the risk.....  I sorta like my MP.

Ya'll fly safe.

If your Note 5 has been always rock solid dedicate it to just your flying and get a new phone for just phone stuff.
2018-11-13
Use props
saviour
Second Officer
Flight distance : 604203 ft
Germany

Well, any newer phone should be reliable. I am using the Huawei P20 Pro.
Everything above Galaxy S7 is fine. I used an S7 before without any problems.
Depends on your money what you want to buy, obviously.
2018-11-13
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

iPhone 8+  ;p  
2018-11-13
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

He was looking for phone which would work 100% not 75%.
As you know GPS is not working in iOS with Dji Go 4.
2018-11-13
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

G_Sig Posted at 11-13 06:53
He was looking for phone which would work 100% not 75%.
As you know GPS is not working in iOS with Dji Go 4.

If he's looking for 100% he's not looking at anything running the android app...  
2018-11-13
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

Brad Bilger Posted at 11-13 05:07
Thank you for the input.  My Note 5 has been rock solid for every flight that I've made and I admit, I've been spoiled by the reliability.  But My 5 is getting older and starting to crash on me, and to tell the truth, I don't want to take the risk.....  I sorta like my MP.

Ya'll fly safe.

Have tested S8 Note and it worked perfectly.
2018-11-13
Use props
MavSpa_user
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Samsung A5(2017) Samsung A8(2018) works with version 4.1.22
2018-11-13
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello Brad Bilger. Good day and thank you for the inquiry. For further reference let me provide you the list of recommended mobile devices for the DJI Mavic Pro. Samsung mobile devices are also included on this list. If you have any other concerns please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are here to help you.

2018-11-13
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 11-13 06:39
iPhone 8+  ;p

I knew there'd be at least one. Lol. Each to their own I guess. My first smart phone was an iPhone and I loved it. Until one day over a period of several months ...
1.  ITunes deleted every photo on my phone
2.  ITunes deleted every contact I had (300+)
3.  ITunes rearranged every song on my computer after being told 4 times to leave my music alone.
4.  Apple issued an OS update that turned my phone into a brick. Then immediately released 2 quick updates that finally allowed me to make a phone call, but punching in the number took 5 minutes. 5.  ITunes then Duplicated every contact that I had.  (300+ jumped to 600+)
5.  Then when I contacted Apple to try to roll back to the previous OS, I was rudely informed that this wasn't possible. When I asked what other alternative I had, I was quickly informed to "buy a new phone..."  Which I did. Never looked back.

2018-11-13
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 11-13 06:55
If he's looking for 100% he's not looking at anything running the android app...

As for Android being "75%" the only problem I've had with my app had been directly related to a cheap USB cable.  And after 19 months and over 6,000,000 feet of flight distance and 300+ flights with never a crash, bump, scratch or disconnect, I think that's a pretty good record. Lol
2018-11-13
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
United States

Far_North Posted at 11-13 06:12
If your Note 5 has been always rock solid dedicate it to just your flying and get a new phone for just phone stuff.

Normally, I would consider it.  But the problem is my Note 5 is slowly going down hill.  Battery, Charging...  and a few other things that years of getting beat on and hard use have caused.  And as much as I love my 5, I just hate trying to maintain 2 separate devices.  Tried that once.. not fun.. LOL
2018-11-13
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Brad Bilger Posted at 11-13 10:16
I knew there'd be at least one. Lol. Each to their own I guess. My first smart phone was an iPhone and I loved it. Until one day over a period of several months ...
1.  ITunes deleted every photo on my phone
2.  ITunes deleted every contact I had (300+)

It was all in good fun my friend.  Tongue and cheek so to speak.  To each there own I always say...
2018-11-13
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 11-13 11:25
It was all in good fun my friend.  Tongue and cheek so to speak.  To each there own I always say...

Oh, have no fear. That's why I put the "lol" in there. I take no offence to Apple fans. My wife wouldn't have anything else. Each to their own devices. Sorta like the difference between Chevrolet, Ford or Dodge. Enjoy and safe flights.
2018-11-13
Use props
Vaporay
lvl.4
Flight distance : 870673 ft

I've been flying with the Galaxy S9+ for 8 months with no problems. I'd recommend the Note 9 for you. Galaxy S10 arrives in February 2019 so the S9 should see some discounts.  
2018-11-13
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
United States

Vaporay Posted at 11-13 14:02
I've been flying with the Galaxy S9+ for 8 months with no problems. I'd recommend the Note 9 for you. Galaxy S10 arrives in February 2019 so the S9 should see some discounts.

Ok.. did it... picked up a Note 9 Yesterday afternoon.  Restored it from my backups, made sure that everything was configured this morning, went out and went through 3 batteries at noon time.  

Flawless flight.  Perfect picture, no hesitation, no pixelation, no problems at all.  The only thing that I noticed was, looking at the flight log and playing the flights back, the Flight Track line is a whole lot thinner.  Not exactly a failure point there.  LOL..  

Thanks for the input people...  
2018-11-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules