Cold weather is upon flying, best tips for successful flights
1261 7 2018-11-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Brent Turner
lvl.2
United States

Good day, I'll try not to get long worded but I'm in my 8th month of successful flights with the P4P as a pro photographer, I couldn't be more pleased with the aircraft. I have a contract to document a construction site every other week and now the cold weather is setting in. Besides some general knowledge of keeping batteries warm and aircraft dry, what else should I be aware of to prevent any mishaps? Thank you for suggestions, it does not go unappreciated. Be well.
2018-11-13
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello Brent Turner. Good day and thank you for the inquiry. For the Operating Temperature Range of the DJI Phantom 4 Pro it should be at 32° to 104°F (0° to 40°C) to work properly. For additional information on the specifications of the DJI Phantom 4 Pro. I will be posting a link for additional reference https://www.dji.com/phantom-4-pro/info#specs. Thank you for your support. Have safe and happy flying.  
2018-11-13
Use props
Brent Turner
lvl.2
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-13 09:00
Hello Brent Turner. Good day and thank you for the inquiry. For the Operating Temperature Range of the DJI Phantom 4 Pro it should be at 32° to 104°F (0° to 40°C) to work properly. For additional information on the specifications of the DJI Phantom 4 Pro. I will be posting a link for additional reference https://www.dji.com/phantom-4-pro/info#specs. Thank you for your support. Have safe and happy flying.

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate your time and knowledge.
32 degrees as an air temperature is pretty good. My question then is, would the aircraft create its own windchill as it moves through the cold air? The result being the drone would believe its 27 degrees. If the drone becomes too chilled then how does it handle in the air? Would I notice bad behavior and have time to bring it down? Thanks for any additional insight.
2018-11-13
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bring the drone in earlier and monitor the voltage output of the batteries more during flight. Let the drone hover for a minute immediately after take off and wear a pair of those e-tip gloves to keep your hands warm whilst still being able to use a touch screen device. Finally, check the prop for ice build up between flights and if it is sub zero temps then aim for as little wind as possible. Good luck.
2018-11-13
Use props
Brent Turner
lvl.2
United States

A CW Posted at 11-13 09:29
Bring the drone in earlier and monitor the voltage output of the batteries more during flight. Let the drone hover for a minute immediately after take off and wear a pair of those e-tip gloves to keep your hands warm whilst still being able to use a touch screen device. Finally, check the prop for ice build up between flights and if it is sub zero temps then aim for as little wind as possible. Good luck.

Very wise suggestions. I have read comments on shorter flight times due to batteries becoming cooler.
Have there been issues with the remote communicating with the aircraft due to lower temperatures? I would tend to think this would not be an issue but never say never. Fascinating your comment on checking for ice upon the propellers. Due to the small size and lower flight altitudes heights than airplanes ice forming would have caught me by surprise. I plan on taking it easy on my first 35 degrees liftoff.
Thank you, A CW.
2018-11-13
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

The wind chill effect is only calculated for a persons skin.  It doesn't affect anything else.   
2018-11-13
Use props
Brent Turner
lvl.2
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 11-13 10:48
The wind chill effect is only calculated for a persons skin.  It doesn't affect anything else.

This info is encouraging. I've heard this but had forgotten it only affects mammals. Thanks for the refresher course. Glad this question wasn't upon the ... license exam. Maybe they're listening, D'oh.
2018-11-13
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Brent Turner Posted at 11-13 10:29
Very wise suggestions. I have read comments on shorter flight times due to batteries becoming cooler.
Have there been issues with the remote communicating with the aircraft due to lower temperatures? I would tend to think this would not be an issue but never say never. Fascinating your comment on checking for ice upon the propellers. Due to the small size and lower flight altitudes heights than airplanes ice forming would have caught me by surprise. I plan on taking it easy on my first 35 degrees liftoff.
Thank you, A CW.

Pleasure.
I've never experienced ice build up myself (lowest temp I've flown in is -5c at 400' AGL) but I have seen it on YT vids. That said, I always wipe my blades between flights so that may explain why I haven't seen ice build up.
2018-11-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules