Is the new iPad Pro 12.9 (2018) working w Mavic 2?
11434 16 2018-11-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ScanDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1026260 ft
United States

Fellow pilots,

Has anyone tried the new iPad Pro 12.9 gen 3 (2018) with Mavic 2?
I tried connecting my M2Z with a USB A to USB C cable, but the RC did not recognize it at all. Running DJI Go 4.3.4 on iOS 12.1.

Could be the cable was too long (6ft), but that was the only one I had at home.

Also, any recommendations what would be the best mount? I have been looking at LifThor Sif: https://www.thorsdroneworld.com/ but for over $100 I want to be sure it's good.

Thanks

2018-11-13
Use props
Alex B.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

My guess is YES, as it’s a hell of a beast machine!
No problems there.

Flysafely
Alex
2018-11-13
Use props
Alex B.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

Change the cable, get a good one. It should work 100%

Safe flying
Alex
2018-11-13
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there, thanks for the inquiry. iPad Pro 12.9 is a powerful device and there's a possibility that it will work fine on the app. However, It is not yet tested by DJI, the compatibility and performance are unable to be guaranteed so there's a possibility that you can't use all the features and functionality of the APP. Rest assured that we will keep improving our software in terms of phone compatibility. I will also forward this matter to our R&D department for clarification. Thanks for your patience.
2018-11-13
Use props
ScanDrone
lvl.4
United States

I ordered the LifThor Sif combo including USB C cables: https://www.thorsdroneworld.com/ and it should arrive Monday. Hopefully it will work great and I'm super excited having a 12.9 screen when flying. I have tried to use my old iPad Air before, but it says the CPU has reached its capacity when running DJI Go 4, so I don't dare using it. And my iPhone 8 has a too small screen.

If anyone of you have tried either the 11 or 12.9 inch new iPad Pros with USB C, please send a note of your experience.
2018-11-15
Use props
djiuser_7KQa27WrdMtP
New
Flight distance : 25384 ft
United Kingdom

I also can not get the 12.9 Ipad pro to connect with the M2P, Works fine with my Ipad Air 2, tried various usb - type c cables and no joy with any.
Looking forward for the app to be updated!!
2018-11-18
Use props
ScanDrone
lvl.4
United States

Can confirm the 2018 iPad Pro does work with both Mavic 2 and Mavic Air running DJI Go 4.3.4, at least during the short flights I have done today.

Was using the USB C-to-Micro USB cable that came with LifThor Sif combo: (https://www.thorsdroneworld.com/), with my iPad Pro 12.9 (Gen 3, 2018) and my Mavic Air and Mavic 2 Zoom and no issues what so ever.

Another successful test setup:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 482&pid=1649553

2018-11-19
Use props
Gadget Guy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Hi
I just tested the newest 2018 model 12.9 iPad on the Mavic Zoom and the Phantom 4ProV2.  It worked flawlessly.  I ran two batteries on the PHANTOM and 1 on the MAVIC ZOOM before I lost light.  I used the USB C to USB cable that came with my Samsung portable SSD Model T3.  It is the perfect length. I have an extender on the Phantom that accepts the 12.9 ipad pretty well.  For the MAVIC I just bought the  Mavmount adapter.  It came missing the big clamp in my order so I used the smaller clamp that fits up to a 10.5 ipad with a couple of rubber bands.  It work well enough to test the 12.9 ipad.  I emailed mavmount and they got back to me in about an hour with shipping info for the bigger clamp and an apology.  Dam good service and the mount system is pretty solid.
2018-11-21
Use props
Gadget Guy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Tested it with Mavic Pro and Goggles RE and system is smooth,  ran really well. Its 18F when I flew with wind gust of 7.5mph and in around pine trees, over a pond,  20 feet to 4000 ft and out 2000 ft without a hitch.  
2018-11-23
Use props
Gadget Guy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Gadget Guy Posted at 11-21 14:11
Hi
I just tested the newest 2018 model 12.9 iPad on the Mavic Zoom and the Phantom 4ProV2.  It worked flawlessly.  I ran two batteries on the PHANTOM and 1 on the MAVIC ZOOM before I lost light.  I used the USB C to USB cable that came with my Samsung portable SSD Model T3.  It is the perfect length. I have an extender on the Phantom that accepts the 12.9 ipad pretty well.  For the MAVIC I just bought the  Mavmount adapter.  It came missing the big clamp in my order so I used the smaller clamp that fits up to a 10.5 ipad with a couple of rubber bands.  It work well enough to test the 12.9 ipad.  I emailed mavmount and they got back to me in about an hour with shipping info for the bigger clamp and an apology.  Dam good service and the mount system is pretty solid.

Update - Tested the iPad Pro 12.9 (2018 model) with my Phantom 4 Pro original version with the HDMI output module.  This setup does not work.  Video out from the drone is very choppy.  Swithched back to my iPad Pro 10.5 model with standard apple lighting cable and system works fine.  Tried swapping back and forth 3 times rebooting drone, controller, and iPad with no luck.  However, the 12.5 iPad Pro with USB C connector works great with Phantom 4 Pro V2, Mavic Zoom, and Mavic Pro.  And, yes, I have to many drones!
2018-12-5
Use props
bernardren07
lvl.4
Flight distance : 48504 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Still good. Very big screen
2018-12-5
Use props
oneorangetree
New
United States

With the new iPad Pro, can you download the videos directly from the Drone (without removing the microSD card)?
2018-12-11
Use props
Gadget Guy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

oneorangetree Posted at 12-11 07:55
With the new iPad Pro, can you download the videos directly from the Drone (without removing the microSD card)?
Yes you can.  I have downliad many videos and pics wirelessly thru the DJI APP from my Mavic zoom  to the ipad pro 12.9 latest, 4th generation.
2018-12-11
Use props
ISOTaco
lvl.1
Flight distance : 217346 ft
United States

Dropping in late here. Thinking of getting the 2018 iPad Pro for my Mavic 2 Pro (among other things) and was curious on how to connect it to the controller. USB C from the iPad goes into the controller with what?
2019-3-30
Use props
ScanDrone
lvl.4
Brazil

ISOTaco Posted at 3-30 04:38
Dropping in late here. Thinking of getting the 2018 iPad Pro for my Mavic 2 Pro (among other things) and was curious on how to connect it to the controller. USB C from the iPad goes into the controller with what?

You need to buy a new cable, I mainly use a USB 2-USB C and connect on the bottom of the RC. Pls unplug the cable in the charging port while you have the USB2 connected. Pls make sure it’s decent quality.
2019-3-30
Use props
LALIBERTECN
New
Flight distance : 27569 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have the 12.9 inch Ipad pro, when I used it with my Mavic 2 Zoom it worked great. Now I have the Mavic 2 pro and it doesn't work. I don't know what hell the issue is.
2019-4-25
Use props
ScanDrone
lvl.4
United States

LALIBERTECN Posted at 4-25 10:22
I have the 12.9 inch Ipad pro, when I used it with my Mavic 2 Zoom it worked great. Now I have the Mavic 2 pro and it doesn't work. I don't know what hell the issue is.

That sounds very strange. Unless it has not paired yet or cable/usb is broken it doesn't make much sense, since it's the same drone. Or since it's a later build date (I assume) on your M2P, can they have changed any components causing this... If the later, I guess it will be the same for other iOS devices. Have you tried with a iPhone or similar? And try another cable perhaps.  
2019-4-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules