Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi all,

Update my DJI Go4 app to the latest version.

Ahh no, not again this yaw error thing....
Why DJI why ?

see my video ; 2 times. Have to found out it it is a yaw or a gimbal yaw glitch.....

cheers
JJB
2018-11-14
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13978875 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That use to do my head in before I sold the MA.
2018-11-14
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4698533 ft
United States

.... there are no yaw errors in DJI firmware... sarc...
gifs use to work on this board...
giphy.gif
2018-11-14
Use props
Sky Carrier
Second Officer
Flight distance : 590102 ft
Netherlands

Strange, I've never seen that in my vids.
2018-11-14
Use props
ata2k6
lvl.2
Flight distance : 86722 ft
Romania

Hello!

I have this issue since Firmware .500...
After this sudden yaw always tend to rotates inflight. Only solution i found is land, restart then takeoff again
2018-12-6
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

From the copmass it looks like the AC is fighting a starboard wind. Can it be that a wind gust knocked the gimbal, which cause it to go into a "smooth" compensation mode. I turn off the follow mode on my MP to get rid of the gimbal yaw when hovering.
I had a problem with flight direction on the latest firmware this summer (the AC was pointing one way, but flying slightly off-course when pushing the right stick dead centre). Downgraded 4 version back (don't remember which I am on now) and the problem disappeared.

2018-12-6
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
United States

BumblerBee Posted at 12-6 06:03
From the copmass it looks like the AC is fighting a starboard wind. Can it be that a wind gust knocked the gimbal, which cause it to go into a "smooth" compensation mode. I turn off the follow mode on my MP to get rid of the gimbal yaw when hovering.
I had a problem with flight direction on the latest firmware this summer (the AC was pointing one way, but flying slightly off-course when pushing the right stick dead centre). Downgraded 4 version back (don't remember which I am on now) and the problem disappeared.

"Downgraded 4 version back (don't remember which I am on now) and the problem disappeared."

I started off with a spark in september and it flew fine on the mid 2017 firmware it came with
upgraded to latest .1000 and it started flying rth legs at 45 degrees off.. would not land (precision land) facing the direction it took off.. and had side drift when being flown manually in a straight line.. no amounts of imu or compass cals would fix it.

same story with a mavic pro I picked up toward the end of October .. came with early to mid 2017 firmware flew great.. upgraded to .04.100 I think and same deal.  although to a lesser extent.  

no atti drops when on the shipped firmware and I have had 4 atti modes on the late2017 / 2018 firmwares ..

I didn't roll back because I have to stay on latest.. and I really detest rolling any firmwares back as bricking is always a possibility .. on anything.. and with the mavic pro you can't roll back to .700 ish firmware without hacks

glad to hear I am not crazy but they really need to figure out what they broke and fix it...soon
2018-12-6
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

BumblerBee Posted at 12-6 06:03
From the copmass it looks like the AC is fighting a starboard wind. Can it be that a wind gust knocked the gimbal, which cause it to go into a "smooth" compensation mode. I turn off the follow mode on my MP to get rid of the gimbal yaw when hovering.
I had a problem with flight direction on the latest firmware this summer (the AC was pointing one way, but flying slightly off-course when pushing the right stick dead centre). Downgraded 4 version back (don't remember which I am on now) and the problem disappeared.

hi, just average steady wind. so no gust on the gimbal.
Have seen this before on pre current fm, one version befor was better and before that worse.

cheers
JJB
2018-12-6
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 12-6 08:50
"Downgraded 4 version back (don't remember which I am on now) and the problem disappeared."

I started off with a spark in september and it flew fine on the mid 2017 firmware it came with

its a glitch in the hardware, compass hdg suddenly gets an offset, so the sw start to correct.
Imo its not the drone that gets an offset but somewhere between the compas hdg output to the correction system gives a 'spark'....

and i agree, not all on this forum are crazy  
2018-12-6
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
United States

JJBspark Posted at 12-6 09:05
its a glitch in the hardware, compass hdg suddenly gets an offset, so the sw start to correct.
Imo its not the drone that gets an offset but somewhere between the compas hdg output to the correction system gives a 'spark'....

I think that is the filtering algo .. it was changed likely when all their new models were going to come out with single compasses and  I think since dji firmware is modular they like to keep as much of their codebase similar.

when GPS first came out and we started to incorporate it and solid state gyros into the FMS on jumbo jets we had to do a lot more manual positional updates and kalman filter resets until they worked the kinks out and tech got better...

this  I think is definitely firmware related...
2018-12-6
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
United States

JJBspark Posted at 12-6 09:05

if I use csvview and graph out compass, yaw, yaw360, magyaw, yaw-magyaw sensor channels you can see them diverge, converge and move all over the place during flight,  rapid yaws, rapid acceleration really causes the values to diverge and over time in slow steady flight they will drift back together.. its a filtering algo issue... likely either being too heavily smoothed or filtered, or like some have said, this issue started cropping up in the firmware versions that started encrypting all the logs and such. and the addl processor power might be affecting the FC from going its primary job.. navigating...
2018-12-6
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

I think you’re piloting the Spark, but sadly, it’s still happening to many people with Mavic Airs, even after the recent 0500 update, which basically fixed a bunch of stuff we never had a problem with, and didn’t fix most of any of the issues we DID/DO have a problem with...

Funny thing is, even with the Mavic 2 Pro, I don’t have yaw glitches anymore (thank god), but I on rare occasions have a very slight yaw drift during flight. I’d say this happens to me once every 8-10 flights.

Yaw drifts and glitching seem to be a DJI “feature” at this point.
2018-12-6
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
United States

EdisonW1979 Posted at 12-6 09:52
I think you’re piloting the Spark, but sadly, it’s still happening to many people with Mavic Airs, even after the recent 0500 update, which basically fixed a bunch of stuff we never had a problem with, and didn’t fix most of any of the issues we DID/DO have a problem with...

Funny thing is, even with the Mavic 2 Pro, I don’t have yaw glitches anymore (thank god), but I on rare occasions have a very slight yaw drift during flight. I’d say this happens to me once every 8-10 flights.

its the new feature designed to ensure that your video isn't too static moving in only one plane of motion.. so the build in auto drift and rotation to make your work more dramatic.. you should be writing them a thank you letter... sarc.. just in case others don't pick up on it.. . hehe
2018-12-6
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 12-6 10:03
its the new feature designed to ensure that your video isn't too static moving in only one plane of motion.. so the build in auto drift and rotation to make your work more dramatic.. you should be writing them a thank you letter... sarc.. just in case others don't pick up on it.. . hehe

Judging by the downvote trolls coming to work on your posts and mine, I think you could put an animated GIF indicating that was sarcasm, and they’d still downvote and not get it
2018-12-6
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
United States

EdisonW1979 Posted at 12-6 10:17
Judging by the downvote trolls coming to work on your posts and mine, I think you could put an animated GIF indicating that was sarcasm, and they’d still downvote and not get it

only 9yo girls care about thumbs up, down votes, whatever... losers have to lose..
2018-12-6
Use props
Atlas_Aus
Second Officer

Thailand

I have not had that, but auto rotate up and down since I upgraded... BTW, how do you get all the info on your video like that ?
2018-12-7
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Atlas_Aus Posted at 12-7 05:37
I have not had that, but auto rotate up and down since I upgraded... BTW, how do you get all the info on your video like that ?

Hi,

I use a screen recorder on my Android mobile device [ google DU recorder ].

cheers
JJB
2018-12-7
Use props
Atlas_Aus
Second Officer

Thailand

Thanks for the tip
2018-12-7
Use props
Skeeter Honey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032569 ft
United States

JJBspark Posted at 2018-12-6 09:05

After reading this thread I'm convinced that this is what happened to me.

Thread:
https://forum.dji.com/thread-176895-1-1.html

I've asked if there was going to be another firmware update.  The answer was ¯\_(ヅ)_/¯
2019-1-24
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

You got it all wrong.  It's not an ''error'' or ''glitch''.  It's a ''feature'', an ''inovation''...
2019-1-24
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Skeeter Honey Posted at 1-24 17:28
After reading this thread I'm convinced that this is what happened to me.

Thread:

Hi,

Had a look at your link and flight.

It looks the same, but it always looks worse beacuse the gimbal is affected too.

see your 2 lines ; ac heading and gimbal yaw.

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
2019-1-24
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

Any traces of this in a logs? I mean, status line is all green, no yaw error mentioned.... no strong winds notification, no nothing....
2019-1-25
Use props
Skeeter Honey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032569 ft
United States

JJBspark Posted at 1-24 23:56
Hi,

Had a look at your link and flight.

I guess I'm not crazy then.  The drone had a brief seizure which looked like a bird strike but wasn't.

Has this glitch resulted in any reported crashes to your knowledge?
2019-1-25
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 1-25 02:00
Any traces of this in a logs? I mean, status line is all green, no yaw error mentioned.... no strong winds notification, no nothing....

no, no signs of any error when this yaw glitch is there.

My MA does a great job always, but few times i have this yaw glitch.

cheers
JJB
2019-1-25
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Skeeter Honey Posted at 1-25 04:38
I guess I'm not crazy then.  The drone had a brief seizure which looked like a bird strike but wasn't.

Has this glitch resulted in any reported crashes to your knowledge?

Ofcourse drone flyers are not crazy!

I have no idea if this results in a crash or mishap , what i see is a fiercely yaw glitch for less than a second. Before and after that my MA is flying great.

cheers
JJB
2019-1-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules