NASA and Verizon to monitor your Drone
1369 8 2015-6-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

http://www.theguardian.com/techn ... es-cellphone-towers

Looks like the Fed God thru a program run by NASA is teaming up with phone carrier Verizon.

The are studying if Verizon can monitor and restrict the flight of drones via cell towers.

Look out boys and girls, flight control is coming. Guess it's time to purchase some of the older units without all the tech on them and strictly fly line of sight.

2015-6-3
Use props
vu.q.le
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-6-3
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

vu.q.le@outlook Posted at 2015-6-4 02:53
Just learn how to fly without GPS and other sensor aids.

I already do fly by the seat of my pants. Flown nitro helicopters for 20 or more years. Didn't have FPV or GPS, just good ole visual flight only.

I'm interested in the program as they may have the capability to block fast moving 2.4 and 5.8 ghz signals.
2015-6-3
Use props
suqsid.bobmail
lvl.3

United States

LMAO

That is so companies can fly them without LOS.

Has absolutely nothing to do with personal drones.
2015-6-3
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

In my personal opinion, I think you mis-read the intent of that article. Doesn't apply to banning us from the air at all.

There's a huge document making its way through the web. It's from the Department of Transportation and it's a terrific argument to the FAA that "drone management" (they are consistently referred to as UAVs in the document) is not the right approach. Their opinion is that the economy could greatly benefit from heavy commercial use of UAVs. As the technology increases, the capability of the devices gets greater and greater. The benefits to the economy in the form of assisting agriculture, mapping, aerial photography, real estate, etc.

The document also argues strongly against full-blown pilot requirements. The DOT is in favor of some kind of testing/qualifications for UAV pilots, but not to the tune the rumor-mongers have led us to believe.

It's an interesting hobby and could easily get even more exciting in the near future.
2015-6-3
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

To me, the teaming up of NASA and Verizon appears to be a way that no fly zones can be created and enforced whether a manufacturer signs up to controls as DJI did after the White House drone crash.

Presently, due to the low flying nature of UAV's, there is no method to track them as they fly lower than radar can operate.

If this works out you won't be receiving the firmware updates with new no fly zones. The cell towers will read the signals being given off by your UAV and if you stray into a prohibited area, will jam you forcing a landing or crash.
2015-6-4
Use props
FlyGirl
lvl.3

United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-6-5 03:08
To me, the teaming up of NASA and Verizon appears to be a way that no fly zones can be created and e ...

"The cell towers will read the signals being given off by your UAV and if you stray into a prohibited area, will jam you forcing a landing or crash."

Nice - no RTH for the offending unit.

BTW, at what altitude does radar cease to operate?

Cheers! from here

2015-6-4
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

FlyGirl Posted at 2015-6-5 03:36
"The cell towers will read the signals being given off by your UAV and if you stray into a prohibi ...

Radar is pretty much line of sight. Since you've got buildings in metropolitan areas 50 plus stories, typical ground based units won't pickup items lower than 200-250 feet unless they have a clear view.

The Army is flying a large air ship over Aberdeen Proving Grounds which due to the height it's tethered can see an area of over 250 miles in all directions. It still has some of the line of sight limitations but when tied into other units pieces together a good picture of what's in the air down to tree top level.

Radar works well over water since you have no obstructions. Then there are the synthetic aperture radars which we won't talk about.
2015-6-4
Use props
FlyGirl
lvl.3

United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-6-5 04:32
Radar is pretty much line of sight. Since you've got buildings in metropolitan areas 50 plus stori ...

I'l research that synthetic part.   Thank you for the knowledge.

2015-6-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules