Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Another Mavic 2 Pro Falling from the Sky
12Next >
5885 51 2018-11-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jonathan SAYEB
lvl.1

Vietnam

Hi All,
My Name is Jonathan SAYEB and i'm a small Photography and Videography business owner in Vietnam. I've just purchased the new Mavic 2 Pro to add to our current Phantom 4 Pro and today while shooting for a big resort in Phu Quoc island (Vietnam), the drone litteraly fell from the sky for no apparent reasons (lucky me it crashed on the beach sand and only the gimbal seems to be broken). I've read everything i could find and apparently i'm not the only case.

Please note that i'm well aware of the user error thing but I promise that I didn't do anything "abnormal" and also I've been flying intensively our phantom 4 pro since it came (almost 2 years) without ever a scrach to it. Also, just to make things clear, litteraly minutes after the crash I asked our staff to buy a 2nd Mavic 2 Pro because our business cannot afford to be without drone for weeks (especially after now reading all the horror stories with the support). And actually, i would have prefered that it would have been my fault so at least i wouldn't get paranoid like now.

My real concern is what are the odds that such thing happens again? I've contacted DJI support asking for a clear answer about "possible Mavic 2 Pro malfunction" as I was very lucky that it didn't crash on the head of one of the hotel guest and if there is a defect (been reading about some possible board overheating issue, BTW was on my 2nd battery straight flight) DJI should have the honesty to tell us, or at least let us know what to check.

Sorry for the long post but to finish it all up, We've got a super important shoot for a "Golf Legend" in Dubai this saturday and i'm planning to bring both the Phantom 4 Pro (which have been nothing but super reliable) and the 2nd Mavic 2 pro we just got while the other is sent for repair and "analysis" and the only thing i'm really concerned is the thing falling on his head which our business insurance surely wouldn't be big enough

Cheers and Looking forward to hearing your experience!
2018-11-15
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did you find anything interesting in the flight log?
2018-11-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I have seen one like yours on M2Z, but not many, it’s impossible unless you upload your flight log.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2018-11-15
Use props
Jonathan SAYEB
lvl.1

Vietnam

I've tried to get the log from DJI assistant 2 but it wouldn't let me export it, i'll try to get the one from my phone now.
2018-11-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Jonathan SAYEB. I am sorry to know that your new DJI Mavic 2 Pro crashed. This is not the experience we want you to have with DJI. Since this issue happened the best thing you need to do is to contact DJI support trough our official website at https://www.dji.com/support for you to open a repair ticket for your drone. Please sync the flight records of the DJI Mavic 2 Pro as well using your DJI Go 4 application for further analyisis. Thank you for your support.

2018-11-15
Use props
Jonathan SAYEB
lvl.1

Vietnam

Thanks Stephen, I just spent 30 minutes with your support who kept repeating to send it in which i'm sure our local distributor will. As i said, i'd like your support team to be fully transparent analysing the log and let us know what clearly happened so we can fly in a safe state of mind. BTW it would be great if you allow us to upload our logs here...
2018-11-15
Use props
msinger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/4DRP16ZBZOLF0VK1LL8T
2018-11-15
Use props
Jonathan SAYEB
lvl.1

Vietnam

Here is a link to the log if anyone can understand what happened:
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/JE2RHXNVRIST3TAA0NJV/
2018-11-15
Use props
msinger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

@Jonathan SAYEB, you did a CSC mid-flight and stopped your motors

2018-11-15
Use props
Jonathan SAYEB
lvl.1

Vietnam

msinger Posted at 11-15 08:20

Thanks Msinger!
2018-11-15
Use props
Jonathan SAYEB
lvl.1

Vietnam

msinger Posted at 11-15 08:25
@Jonathan SAYEB, you did a CSC mid-flight and stopped your motors

[view_image]

Really???? If that's the case could you please explain how it happened, can I have done the stick dance unintentionally while flying? and if yes, how can i prevent it in the future? Seriously, if that's the case, a big thank you @msinger as now feel much better but a bit dumb at the same time
2018-11-15
Use props
msinger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

I cannot explain what you thought you were doing, but your flight log shows you held the sticks in the CSC position for 1.5 seconds before the motors shut off. You can see that at the end of your flight log here:

2018-11-15
Use props
Jonathan SAYEB
lvl.1

Vietnam

msinger Posted at 11-15 08:43
I cannot explain what you thought you were doing, but your flight log shows you held the sticks in the CSC position for 1.5 seconds before the motors shut off. You can see that at the end of your flight log here:

[view_image]

Thank you so much Msinger, i checked on the remote and it was set on "always" which I believe means that it would all the CSC anytime you input this command with the sticks. Really feels much better now that i know it was my mistake Anyhow in case anybody experiences the same problem you now know where to look great Job msinger once again and the peeps at DJI really should do something for persons like you that spend the time to help others "much better and quicker than their own support team ".
All the best and let's get that gimbal fixed
2018-11-15
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU!
First Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Jonathan SAYEB Posted at 11-15 09:02
Thank you so much Msinger, i checked on the remote and it was set on "always" which I believe means that it would all the CSC anytime you input this command with the sticks. Really feels much better now that i know it was my mistake  Anyhow in case anybody experiences the same problem you now know where to look  great Job msinger once again and the peeps at DJI really should do something for persons like you that spend the time to help others "much better and quicker than their own support team ".

Yep, on these new Mavic 2 drones, they set them to always. They should be set on emergencies only like the Mavic Pro defaulted.

That’s a super bummer your Mavic crashed.
2018-11-15
Use props
msinger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

FYI for anyone reading along, the OP had this setting set to "CSC Maneuver". You should change that setting to "For use in emergencies only" if you don't want a CSC to accidentally occur mid-flight.

2018-11-15
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
Flight distance : 84805085 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think experienced pilots will tell you that it's counter-intuitive how the engine shut off is configured, given many will use these stick inputs when controlling the drone?
2018-11-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

davidmartingraf Posted at 11-15 09:28
I think experienced pilots will tell you that it's counter-intuitive how the engine shut off is configured, given many will use these stick inputs when controlling the drone?

That’s why you are given the option to Change to emergency only, although it should be default, also change CSC to same as P4Pro RTH and left stick straight down.

I’m also not sure of any real benefits unless on the ground craft goes haywire, surely there is not many reasons to cut motors in the air unless you meet traffic.
2018-11-15
Use props
Aeromirage
Captain
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

As a precaution, when descending to land, I always have the drone facing toward me so sticks are oriented like this:

zzzzzv.jpg
2018-11-15
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-15 09:41
That’s why you are given the option to Change to emergency only, although it should be default, also change CSC to same as P4Pro RTH and left stick straight down.

I’m also not sure of any real benefits unless on the ground craft goes haywire, surely there is not many reasons to cut motors in the air unless you meet traffic.

Can you explain how that works if we change the settings on the Remote Controller when the stick inputs would otherwise cause engine shutoff? I often move both sticks at the same time when flying especially if manually landing. Again, for experienced pilots I think we all push on the sticks like a video game when controlling the Mavic Pro, I'd rather not have a kill switch enabled on my Mavic. I think many preventable accidents would be resolved, especially when you consider the Mavic Pro's motors automatically shut off whenever coming into contact with birds that causes many crashes, otherwise we would see this drone defend its airspace more effectively.
2018-11-15
Use props
rwynant V1
Captain
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jonathan SAYEB Posted at 11-15 08:32
Really???? If that's the case could you please explain how it happened, can I have done the stick dance unintentionally while flying? and if yes, how can i prevent it in the future? Seriously, if that's the case, a big thank you @msinger as now feel much better but a bit dumb at the same time

Go into the log,  go to 17 min 15s......click to highlight and look at the stick movement on the right of the screen.

I'm sorry for your crash and hope getting your bird fixed happens soon!!

Randy
2018-11-15
Use props
AirW-P3A/M2P
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2730518 ft
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 11-15 10:37
Can you explain how that works if we change the settings on the Remote Controller when the stick inputs would otherwise cause engine shutoff? I often move both sticks at the same time when flying especially if manually landing. Again, for experienced pilots I think we all push on the sticks like a video game when controlling the Mavic Pro, I'd rather not have a kill switch enabled on my Mavic. I think many preventable accidents would be resolved, especially when you consider the Mavic Pro's motors automatically shut off whenever coming into contact with birds that causes many crashes, otherwise we would see this drone defend its airspace more effectively.

Similar question here. If I change the setting to Emergency Only, what's the difference when CSC is commanded in flight? What defines an "emergency"?
2018-11-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

davidmartingraf Posted at 11-15 10:37
Can you explain how that works if we change the settings on the Remote Controller when the stick inputs would otherwise cause engine shutoff? I often move both sticks at the same time when flying especially if manually landing. Again, for experienced pilots I think we all push on the sticks like a video game when controlling the Mavic Pro, I'd rather not have a kill switch enabled on my Mavic. I think many preventable accidents would be resolved, especially when you consider the Mavic Pro's motors automatically shut off whenever coming into contact with birds that causes many crashes, otherwise we would see this drone defend its airspace more effectively.

Well I think most using these drones have little use for moving both sticks in bottom corners, it’s not a very cinematic position and should you try it you will see it has very little use.
But having said that obviously OP thought it a good idea, and I think others get mixed up when trying to land aircraft mixing this up with left stick down and holding for 3 seconds.

When you change to emergency only, it won’t work unless it contacts something or you loose a prop or motor is obstructed, so if for instance your craft came down into a tree then to stop all motors you could use it or if motor was obstructed on the ground and craft was out of control then this would be an emergency, and in emergency mode you cannot just cut motors off in the air .
2018-11-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Aeromirage Posted at 11-15 09:51
As a precaution, when descending to land, I always have the drone facing toward me so sticks are oriented like this:

That’s funny, we were taught to have aircraft facing away from us, because left is left and right is right, I suppose each to his own.
2018-11-15
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
First Officer
Flight distance : 4698533 ft
United States

msinger Posted at 11-15 07:55
Did you find anything interesting in the flight log?

takeoff 1
landings 0
2018-11-15
Use props
White Ox
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98281 ft

United States

Is there a tally for Crash Landings? haha
2018-11-15
Use props
Streetmagus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1398376 ft
United States

Why did DJI allow this command to shut off in mid flight? Why not keep it the same as the Phantom Serieie with Left stick in corner and holding the Return to Home button? Because we would never do those two combinations on accident.  
2018-11-15
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm surprised DJI didn't carry forward the changes they made to the motor shut down command on the P4 series , which was changed to 'left stick down and right & RTH button' to shut off motors in flight.

Most likely due to the fact that the motor shut off in flight can be disabled by using the 'emergency only' option, which I believe allows motor shut down on the ground, or when no further descent possible.
2018-11-15
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
First Officer
Flight distance : 4698533 ft
United States

White Ox Posted at 11-15 12:32
Is there a tally for Crash Landings? haha

yeah.. when takeoffs minus landings is greater than ZERO hehe
2018-11-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Aardvark Posted at 11-15 12:35
I'm surprised DJI didn't carry forward the changes they made to the motor shut down command on the P4 series , which was changed to 'left stick down and right & RTH button' to shut off motors in flight.

Most likely due to the fact that the motor shut off in flight can be disabled by using the 'emergency only' option, which I believe allows motor shut down on the ground, or when no further descent possible.

I beleive once your drone comes into contact with something you will be able to use emergency CSC.
2018-11-15
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 11-15 12:52
I beleive once your drone comes into contact with something you will be able to use emergency CSC.

Its a pity there were no obstacles in the original 'Academy' flight Sim to test that, it was good for testing the motor shutdown in flight and seeing how long it took to restart :-)
2018-11-15
Use props
AirW-P3A/M2P
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2730518 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-15 11:04
Well I think most using these drones have little use for moving both sticks in bottom corners, it’s not a very cinematic position and should you try it you will see it has very little use.
But having said that obviously OP thought it a good idea, and I think others get mixed up when trying to land aircraft mixing this up with left stick down and holding for 3 seconds.

Thanks for the explanation.
2018-11-15
Use props
KlooGee
Captain
Flight distance : 16641309 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jonathan SAYEB Posted at 11-15 09:02
Thank you so much Msinger, i checked on the remote and it was set on "always" which I believe means that it would all the CSC anytime you input this command with the sticks. Really feels much better now that i know it was my mistake  Anyhow in case anybody experiences the same problem you now know where to look  great Job msinger once again and the peeps at DJI really should do something for persons like you that spend the time to help others "much better and quicker than their own support team ".

While you are having it checked, I'd ask them to make sure the motors are good and didn't get any tiny bits of sand in them that will cause problems down the line.
2018-11-15
Use props
Jonathan SAYEB
lvl.1

Vietnam

Thank you very much for your nice comments and feedback. I'll definitely get the whole drone checked. If it can help, i've always flew my drones with Stick mode 3 and such stick position is actually a pretty cool for a descending fly away with reveal/panning camera movement. As someone previously mentioned I wish DJI would allow the same csc input as the phantom 4 series (stick+RTH button) which obviously prevented me from stopping the motors in 3 years of flying the phantom series.
I guess it's all about live and learn ;) At least i now feel much better knowing that the mavic 2 pro is a solid aircraft.... especially now that we'll have 2 of them LOL
2018-11-15
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU!
First Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

LMAO!

But yea, there should be an option like P4P has with home button combo. ANY stick command for this is silly simply because it may happen inadvertently.  A button combo like Smart RTH button + left stick in lower corner would be DELIBERATE. Phantom 4 does this!! Hello, DJI?
2018-11-15
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
  • >>>
United States

AirW-P3A/M2P Posted at 11-15 10:49
Similar question here. If I change the setting to Emergency Only, what's the difference when CSC is commanded in flight? What defines an "emergency"?

Good point!
2018-11-15
Use props
M Stuart K
First Officer
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the information
2018-11-16
Use props
Pastor Ted
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1359642 ft
  • >>>
United States

it just happened to my Mavic 2 Zoom Yeterday 06/11/19. I wonder what reason DJI would have this time.
2019-6-12
Use props
Stryker03
Second Officer
Flight distance : 206345 ft

United States

msinger Posted at 2018-11-15 08:20

When I click the link. It just takes me to the home page
2019-6-13
Use props
Tollytastic
Second Officer
Flight distance : 30932 ft
France

Wow glad to read this post, will change my settings to emergency only. This is very important to me because as a RC helicopter pilot i'm in the habit of using both sticks simultaneously to smooth out the flight, unfortunately it's not something I even think about anymore. I think you may have just saved my new and already much loved Mavic 2 pro.
Many thanks!!!!
2019-6-13
Use props
Tollytastic
Second Officer
Flight distance : 30932 ft
France

Tollytastic Posted at 6-13 01:13
Wow glad to read this post, will change my settings to emergency only. This is very important to me because as a RC helicopter pilot i'm in the habit of using both sticks simultaneously to smooth out the flight, unfortunately it's not something I even think about anymore. I think you may have just saved my new and already much loved Mavic 2 pro.
Many thanks!!!!

Just checked and my controller was set to emergency only by default (well done DJI) but it is worth checking!!  BTW sorry if its a stupid question but what does CSC maneuver stand for ?
2019-6-13
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules