Geo Fencing
3222 20 2018-11-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Viper Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 31644 ft
United States

Just received the latest DJI Geo Fencing info and it is very very good .  In my area, rather then large 5 mile circles around airports the new data aligns with the runway and makes much more sense.  Thank you DJI for continue to refine this safety measure and provide us with information that aligns with our FAA airport data base.  Thanks again for this refinement of the GEO Fencing in this area.

2018-11-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Viper Pilot. Thank you for sharing your experience with us regarding the new DJI Geo Fence function. Rest assured that DJI is doing everything to make the DJI Go 4 application and its functions as user friendly as possible. Thank you so much supporting DJI. Have a safe and happy flying always.
2018-11-15
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Related...

Any word on when FAA will update their B4U-Fly App to use rectangles and partial circles (aka Bow Tie shapes) instead of BIG ROUND Circles for airports, helipads, and private strips.
2018-11-15
Use props
Viper Pilot
lvl.4
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 11-15 19:24
Related...

Any word on when FAA will update their B4U-Fly App to use rectangles and partial circles (aka Bow Tie shapes) instead of BIG ROUND Circles for airports, helipads, and private strips.

I have no idea but since that App is mostly designed for use by recreational flyers it's update may be tied to the FAA schedule related to the new laws being rolled out over the TBD time period.  
2018-11-16
Use props
covpack
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1295902 ft
United States

I also like the new update with geofencing. I live in Las Vegas and the update finally shows the Class B airspace. However, DJI marks it as "enhanced airspace." I am guessing that is Class B, as this space aligns with what my mavic use to say before this update and the coordinated align with the FAA B4fly apps.  I have somewhat given up on depending on the FAA B4ufly app.  It is riddled with bugs. For example, they do not even show a circle around the North Las Vegas Airport, which is not a small airport. (note: somedays they show it but mostly not). Right now I depend upon the Airmap and then what Mavic tells me. Right now the Airmap is not showing the class B (enhance airpace) area but marks schools and critical facilities.
2018-11-16
Use props
Viper Pilot
lvl.4
United States

covpack Posted at 11-16 09:05
I also like the new update with geofencing. I live in Las Vegas and the update finally shows the Class B airspace. However, DJI marks it as "enhanced airspace." I am guessing that is Class B, as this space aligns with what my mavic use to say before this update and the coordinated align with the FAA B4fly apps.  I have somewhat given up on depending on the FAA B4ufly app.  It is riddled with bugs. For example, they do not even show a circle around the North Las Vegas Airport, which is not a small airport. (note: somedays they show it but mostly not). Right now I depend upon the Airmap and then what Mavic tells me. Right now the Airmap is not showing the class B (enhance airpace) area but marks schools and critical facilities.

I agree with you about B4Ufly App being some what not in sync with Air Maps or DJI Go4 App.  It does take a bit of research to get it all coordinated with the Regional FAA charts, etc.  I think it will be an evolving process as the various sources and Apps and FAA sort out all this airspace updates.  I guess we just have to be prudent and have  patience. Of note, in my area (S.E. Wisconsin) the latest DJI Geo fencing update is showing all the Wisconsin Correctional institutions but not any schools as you said is shown in your area.
2018-11-16
Use props
Brad Bilger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14843274 ft
United States

My only problem with the new Geo-Fencing, is that I have an orange circle around what USE to be a dirt strip field about a mile from where I fly.  Yes, I know that FAA still shows it listed, but the field is plowed over and nothing is left.  Everything else lists the field as "Non-Operational" and it's not even listed on the Sectional Charts.  Oh well, I can still fly.  I don't think that I even got a warning, but that orange circle can be a bit distracting.  LOL
2018-11-16
Use props
Viper Pilot
lvl.4
United States

Brad Bilger Posted at 11-16 13:57
My only problem with the new Geo-Fencing, is that I have an orange circle around what USE to be a dirt strip field about a mile from where I fly.  Yes, I know that FAA still shows it listed, but the field is plowed over and nothing is left.  Everything else lists the field as "Non-Operational" and it's not even listed on the Sectional Charts.  Oh well, I can still fly.  I don't think that I even got a warning, but that orange circle can be a bit distracting.  LOL

Interesting.  Not sure how you would go about getting that orange circle removed especially if the FAA still has it listed as an air field.  Does it show up in the FAA Sectional Charts?  I guess as long as it's Class G airspace it probably doesn't keep you from flying in the area.
2018-11-16
Use props
Brad Bilger
lvl.4
United States

Oh, I've been flying there for over a year.  There's an large AMA field right next to me that's busy all day long.  The sectional Charts don't even show any evidence of a field.  Google Earth shows nothing but a Marker in the middle of a plowed field.  I've driven by there and gotten out and looked over the fence and there isn't even a tire mark in the field.  

Yeah, Class G space, well outside the Surface area for the Class B around DFW Airport.  

Beats me.  FAA Designation is TS00.  Oh well, I don't bother anyone when I fly. LOL
2018-11-16
Use props
supergimp
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12920 ft
United States

I have no issues with the update and appreciate the better GEO information. My biggest concern is that now if I am in an authorization zone I need an internet connection to clear the flight? I use a CrystalSky and fly lots of places without WiFi. How does authorization work then?
Also, in testing, where I do have solid WiFi I chose SMS authorizatio and I got repeated errors about a half dozen times before it would let me enter the validation code (I kept receiving the code on my phone but Go4 kept giving me an error of generating the token).
2018-11-16
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU!
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

The yellow warning zones around almost everything is annoying. That used to be transparent so I could ACTUALLY USE THE MAP. Oh well, so long map. It is now officially useless with all the space shuttle sized BS yellow areas everywhere.  EVERYWHERE!

This toddler-based ineptitude is getting old. DJI is hilarious.
2018-11-16
Use props
Brad Bilger
lvl.4
United States

I went out flying again yesterday, and I really hate that orange overlay.  But I got to noticing some things.  When I click on the overlay where I'm at, I get nothing.  No explanation.  If I click on one miles away, I get a "Geo Info Zone, Please fly with Caution."  I click on a Blue Zone and I get "The Target is in an authorization zone.  You can unlock Flight Restrictions."  Wonderful.  That is a long way away from my location.  Mine doesn't say anything at all.  I see a little orange zone about 3 miles away that surrounds a Fire Station.  (?)  Or one at a location that USE to be a Hospital 20 years ago that had a Heliport, that the building is now an assisted living center and the helipad is their patio.  If my flight area is a Non Warning zone that requires no notification, why can't I turn off the warning overlay?  I can see through it, but it's an irritation.  
2018-12-16
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4698533 ft
United States

have you gotten DJI to confirm which shape is actually on the bird?  Further, the 'new shape' NFZ on my Go 4 only appears on the web link NFZ map under the three bars of the launch screen, not the live view map... so is either NFZ database (controller, aircraft) actually using the new shape yet.  I have contacted customer support to ask several times.. the answer.. HUH?  no clue
2018-12-16
Use props
Brannon49
lvl.1
United States

Brad Bilger Posted at 2018-11-16 13:57
My only problem with the new Geo-Fencing, is that I have an orange circle around what USE to be a dirt strip field about a mile from where I fly.  Yes, I know that FAA still shows it listed, but the field is plowed over and nothing is left.  Everything else lists the field as "Non-Operational" and it's not even listed on the Sectional Charts.  Oh well, I can still fly.  I don't think that I even got a warning, but that orange circle can be a bit distracting.  LOL

Are you at least able to remove the orange circle from your map?  I am unable to and it's very annoying as it makes the map unreadable.  Doesn't matter if i'm looking at the regular map or the satellite map, both are covered with the orange color.
2019-3-7
Use props
*DM*
lvl.4
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

Interesting article from NLD ...

https://nolimitdronez.com/press-release-nld-article-in-the-sun-0306-2019
2019-3-7
Use props
Brannon49
lvl.1
United States

I wonder if that software works and if DJI is going to somehow put a stop to it.  Personally, I don't really care about the flying restrictions, I just want all the colors off my maps.  That's what annoys me the most.
2019-3-8
Use props
dresoccer4
lvl.1
Flight distance : 516306 ft
United States

Brannon49 Posted at 3-8 00:24
I wonder if that software works and if DJI is going to somehow put a stop to it.  Personally, I don't really care about the flying restrictions, I just want all the colors off my maps.  That's what annoys me the most.

yes,  i wholeheartedly agree. since all the colorful shapes appeared my map has become completely useless. has anyone figured out how to clean up the map to make it work again? this has to be a bug (tho probably a "feature")

2019-3-12
Use props
HH1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

where and how do you get this NEW update?  I have GO4 and MPP.
2019-3-12
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HH1 Posted at 3-12 13:44
where and how do you get this NEW update?  I have GO4 and MPP.

Have a look at this post, it would appear latest version was suspended, presumably for fixes.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-183003-1-1.html
2019-3-12
Use props
Brad Bilger
lvl.4
United States

Brannon49 Posted at 3-7 23:24
Are you at least able to remove the orange circle from your map?  I am unable to and it's very annoying as it makes the map unreadable.  Doesn't matter if i'm looking at the regular map or the satellite map, both are covered with the orange color.

Nope.. no matter what I click on, the circle remains which makes it really hard to see the map.  I go by the sectional charts (FAA) for my area and according to them, I am in Class G space under the Class B umbrella.  There is an old airstrip about 2 miles away that is nothing but a plowed field now.  This strip doesn't even show up on the Sectional Charts.  Nothing there.  When I click on the circle, I get NO information about the reason for the overlay.  The only way I know what they are trying to say is that the Old strip is in the exact center of the overlay.  Whats really strange, there is a smaller circle further north that isn't a Airfield at all.  It's a Fire Station.  No, no heliport or airstrip there.  I have overlays all around me for things like a helipad at an old hospital thats been turned into a retirement center.  The old heliport is now their patio.  But it STILL shows on my go4 app.  I have Schools with the overlays.  Multiple Fire Stations with the overlays.  WHY???
2019-3-13
Use props
TROUBLEBIRD
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1007172 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-11-15 11:53
Hello and good day Viper Pilot. Thank you for sharing your experience with us regarding the new DJI Geo Fence function. Rest assured that DJI is doing everything to make the DJI Go 4 application and its functions as user friendly as possible. Thank you so much supporting DJI. Have a safe and happy flying always.

My geo fencing is not showing up in my app
Any suggestions???
2020-3-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules