iPhone XS MAX too heavy for OSMO 2!
26793 34 2018-11-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
oCorvus
New
United States

So I just picked up an OSMO Mobile 2 gimbal for my iPhone XS MAX. On the website DJI clearly states this phone is supported by this product yet I have found quite the opposite. The phone will not balance properly, it just isnt possible. Its perfectly possible to adjust the arm length to get it horizontally balanced but the phone ends up being too front heavy to balance pitch-wise. No matter how you position it, the phone always wants to flip flat like a pancake and point the camera straight up. Additionally my gimbal will not stay level and the motors clearly lack the strength to stabilize the phone properly. The phone alone without a case is so heavy that the gimbal arms bend due to the weight. This bending of the arms clearly misaligns the motor axis which is what i think is causing the gimbal to constantly un-calibrate and not remain level. Overall my experience with the OSMO Mobile 2 with my XS MAX has been a poor one. DJI please remove the XS MAX from the supported device list thanks.
2018-11-15
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, sorry to know about that. I will forward your feedback to our engineers to see if they could re-evaluate the Osmo mobile with the iPhone XS. Again, we do apologize for the inconvenience that it causes you. I will provide the response of our team once I've received the updates. Thank you for the support.
2018-11-15
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Take a look at this
2018-11-16
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Btw welcome to the forum oCorvus!
2018-11-16
Use props
FLPilotShark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 721913 ft
  • >>>
United States

Quick question, is the Dji OSMO to heavy for the iPhoneX which is the iPhone 10. Specs are the following: iT HAS A 5.8" Super Retina HD display and the weight is 6.14 ounces???  Also, does anyone have an idea on when my OSMO Icon will appear under all of my other Dji Drones and Equipment that I have bought over the last year?
2018-11-17
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

FLPilotShark Posted at 11-17 07:21
Quick question, is the Dji OSMO to heavy for the iPhoneX which is the iPhone 10. Specs are the following: iT HAS A 5.8" Super Retina HD display and the weight is 6.14 ounces???  Also, does anyone have an idea on when my OSMO Icon will appear under all of my other Dji Drones and Equipment that I have bought over the last year?

Hi, thanks for your inquiry. The Osmo mobile 2 is fully compatible with the iPhone X. You could use our video tutorial for you to install the mobile device to the Osmo mobile 2 properly, kindly ensure that the phone has no case if you will install it the Osmo mobile 2 to avoid balancing problem. I would like to ask as well if you could send me the email address that you've used to activate your Osmo via PM? You may refer to the video below for our tutorial. Thank you for the support.

2018-11-18
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

See Post #3 from jacksonnai....  The video shows "no problem" with balancing, nor starting up the Xs Max.  I've seen other review YouTubes with the Max and there were no difficulties.  Here's what I would try... first, remove ANY case... just adds weight and may be shifting the weight if not centered in  the mounts.  If your not using a case, you need to test the Osmo to see if IT is the problem.  Try it with a smaller phone....borrow one from a friend if you don't still have your old one.   Point is, there just might be a mechanical problem with the OSMO and the only way to find out is to use an older phone.  FWIW, I've also used an old iPod with a case to check mine out  ( it's a Zenmuse M1 but the principle function is the same )
2018-11-19
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 11-15 13:49
Hi, sorry to know about that. I will forward your feedback to our engineers to see if they could re-evaluate the Osmo mobile with the iPhone XS. Again, we do apologize for the inconvenience that it causes you. I will provide the response of our team once I've received the updates. Thank you for the support.

Tony.... it's nice to offer engaging the engineers, but I don't think that's the OP's issue.  There are numerous YouTube videos showing and testing the Mobile 2 with the Xs MAX and it works fine.  It's barely heavier that a half dozen other phones, so it's unlikely an issue with his phone.  
2018-11-19
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

jacksonnai Posted at 11-16 03:10
Take a look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eC7Jp96IOA

Helpful post, jackson.... there's a few others online with would confirm that the OP issue isn't with the MAX.... Hope he resolves and changes the heading of the Post.
2018-11-19
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

WebParrot Posted at 11-19 16:57
Helpful post, jackson.... there's a few others online with would confirm that the OP issue isn't with the MAX.... Hope he resolves and changes the heading of the Post.

Thanks WebParrot!
2018-11-19
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

WebParrot Posted at 11-19 16:56
Tony.... it's nice to offer engaging the engineers, but I don't think that's the OP's issue.  There are numerous YouTube videos showing and testing the Mobile 2 with the Xs MAX and it works fine.  It's barely heavier that a half dozen other phones, so it's unlikely an issue with his phone.

Hi WebParrot, We're glad to know that there a lot of positive review about the iPhone XS Max and DJI Osmo Mobile 2, however, it seems that the owner of the thread is having a hard time balancing his mobile device even without a phone case. I've forwarded the concern with our team so that they could check if it will occur on our end. Thank you for the support.
2018-11-20
Use props
SoloRasta
New
United States

Can confirm it works perfectly with the new  iPhone XS Max. I had some initial issues but it was mostly user error (and some lack of instructions). Once I calibrated the device within the DJI Go app I had no issues.
2018-11-20
Use props
Nicka3
lvl.1
Flight distance : 24304 ft
United States

Hey, I am using the iPhone XR which is slightly smaller than the Xs Max but similar in weight. I am also having issues with balance. The device seems too front heavy to balance properly. I am able to balance smaller phones (iphone 4 -6) but I cannot balance the XR.  
2018-12-29
Use props
airboss
lvl.3
Flight distance : 332087 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have used it with an iPhone X and it worked fine.  With my iPhone XS max, not so much, it has a hard time balancing the phone.  
2018-12-31
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

airboss Posted at 2018-12-31 19:41
I have used it with an iPhone X and it worked fine.  With my iPhone XS max, not so much, it has a hard time balancing the phone.

Hi, sorry to know about this concern. Would it be possible if you could provide a short video of this concern? You could use google drive or dropbox then provide the link here. Thank you for continued support.
2019-1-1
Use props
airboss
lvl.3
Flight distance : 332087 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 1-1 12:42
Hi, sorry to know about this concern. Would it be possible if you could provide a short video of this concern? You could use google drive or dropbox then provide the link here. Thank you for continued support.

Ill try and get one for you.
2019-1-1
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

airboss Posted at 1-1 14:53
Ill try and get one for you.

Please keep us posted on the latest progress so that we could possibly mimic the concern on our end. Thank you!
2019-1-2
Use props
엄승용
New

South Korea

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-11-15 13:49
Hi, sorry to know about that. I will forward your feedback to our engineers to see if they could re-evaluate the Osmo mobile with the iPhone XS. Again, we do apologize for the inconvenience that it causes you. I will provide the response of our team once I've received the updates. Thank you for the support.

I have the same problem with iPhone XS Max. If you can't fix the problem please let me know how to deal with the OSMO 2 which I purchased today.
2019-1-6
Use props
fans008df1d8
New

France

Guys! i had the same problem with my iphone XS MAX,

been seaching for some days why the osmo dropped the iphone every time.

But i finally found the solution!!

There is a skrew button on the arm with what you can extend te arm!

after i did the callibration and voila!

very stupid but this was the solution for me.

my search is finaly over hope it helps you guys to.
2019-1-7
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

엄승용 Posted at 1-6 06:39
I have the same problem with iPhone XS Max. If you can't fix the problem please let me know how to deal with the OSMO 2 which I purchased today.

Hi, we're sorry for the troubles that it caused. Did you manage to remove the phone case when you installed the phone to the Osmo Mobile 2? You may refer to our video tutorial above that was posted on #6 on how you will balance the phone correctly. Please keep posted on the latest progress for further help.
2019-1-7
Use props
djiuser_azzq0Vt83B4g
New
United States

This sucks. I wish I had known this before purchasing the OSMO 2 and upgrading my iPhone X to iPhone XS Max. False advertising to claim that it works. I’ve unscrewed and slid it as far as it can go and it will not balance.
2019-1-24
Use props
osmoPandas
lvl.1
Hong Kong

Have you tried extend the arm or adjust the phone position in the clip?
I'm using XS MAX also and it just works fine.
2019-1-24
Use props
gabrigp
New
Spain

Well I do not have the Osmo Mobile 2 but I have the 1 and I can confirm that with an iPhone X works perfectly and with the XS MAX nothing that moves a little, the arm can not with the weight of the terminal.

The stabilizer is hard to maintain the horizontal position and when you walk a little tends to lean to the left with what you have to hold a little with your hand. In the end I had to remove it and record with my hand.

I have tried to extract the entire arm as far to the right as possible but it has been useless.
2019-2-4
Use props
soeun
New

United States

I'm finding a lot of mix information regarding compatibility with iPhone XS MAX. Whats the official verdict? I'm debating between this and couple other gimbals.
2019-2-13
Use props
fans9b6129da
New
Australia

I have the same issue. Then I used auto calibration to solved the issue. It's fine with XS Max now
2019-2-14
Use props
DodgeR1988
lvl.1
Flight distance : 808074 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have the xs Max with a Osmo Mobile 2. If I set the clamp to hold phone vertical it’s fine. But can’t use full potential beingvitll see the second gimbal rotator link vs when it’s in landscape mode.  It has full clear view.  But in landscape mode the gimbal can balance properly.   Wondering if there’s a heavier or counter weight mount for the Osmo M2 but the xs Max in my opinion is to heavy for landscape mode
2019-2-15
Use props
Liberty
lvl.1
Switzerland

When I purchased the Osmo Mobile I, I already encountered compatibility problems with the IPhone 7 plus (basically the Iphone stabilizer was neutralizing the Osmo's one). Of course, all look very nice on this SPONSORED Youtubers... if they get paid or product for free they will tell you the device is super cool!

At the time I wanted to return the device and DJI refused although it was brand new and under guarantee. The guys seat in China, so good luck if you purchase via their porta.

Now, the device does not work with the new Iphone Max  and I do encounter the same problem with Osmo Mobile 1 as the one described here by some users in versions 1 AND 2.

DO NOT BUY THIS CRAP or if you want to still go ahead do it via dealers (i.e. Amazon) that will guarantee you refund in case of malfunctioning. Do not risk your money via their portal.

DJI is good at drones but lousy with their stabilizers.

2019-2-24
Use props
fansb6f46813
New
United States

Same or similar issue here. Osmo Mobile 2 that worked and works fine with an iPhone X and iPhone 8 is useless with the iPhone XS Max.
Horizontal calibration works to an extent by adjusting to +2.3, but after around 5 mins, the gimbal overheats, goes into some kind of standby, drops the phone and flashes yellow. Wait a while and it’ll work again until it overheats again and repeat. I’ve even tried third party counterweights on the arm and they make no difference. Tried with a friend’s OM2 and even the original Osmo Mobile silver and it’s the same story...
I guess whenever I need anything recording with a gimble I’ll use my old iPhone instead or try a different brand. It’s not like
2019-3-4
Use props
fansb6f46813
New
United States

...it’s not like the DJI Go app supports 60fps 4K anyway, so why bother...
2019-3-4
Use props
fans6ab5e472
New

United States

Hi, sorry to know about that. I will forward your feedback to our engineers to see if they could re-evaluate the Osmo mobile with the iPhone XS. Again, we do apologize for the inconvenience that it causes you. I will provide the response of our team once I've received the updates. Thank you for the support.

I hVe the same problem!! Too bad I found out only when I was in front of a client and couldn’t get a video portion of their shoot!! I hope you have something in the works to fix this for us!!
2019-3-24
Use props
fans6ab5e472
New

United States

WebParrot Posted at 2018-11-19 16:56

It did not work with my x max..
2019-3-24
Use props
fans0d89ec8a
lvl.1
United States

Yes I’m also having the same issue with the iPhone XS not able to balance as well. The phone seems to be too heavy
2019-6-30
Use props
fans10a23f63
New

I just bought the osmo 2 and mounted my iphone X max. First it was not positioned correctly vertically and the motor struggled. Once I got it properly aligned it works fine.
2019-9-10
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

fans10a23f63 Posted at 9-10 03:20
I just bought the osmo 2 and mounted my iphone X max. First it was not positioned correctly vertically and the motor struggled. Once I got it properly aligned it works fine.

Hi, we're sorry for the problem that you had with your Osmo Mobile 2. However, we're glad that the problem has been solved. Please feel free to use Osmo mobile 2. Thank you for continued support.
2019-9-11
Use props
fans1b67eec1
New

United States

My OSMO Mobile 2 cannot hold my iPhone XS Max either. I put it in vertically and it starts vibrating and goes all wack. Tried balancing it and everything. It’s not possible. False advertising. Money spent for no reason.
2019-11-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules