Irresponsible use leads to control
1448 3 2015-6-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

http://www.theguardian.com/techn ... use-drone-crash-eff

As thought by many, the "drone" crash on the White House lawn a few months back, lead DJI to restrict flight in the entire WashingtonDC area. For one drunken government employee to ruin UAV flight in an area while seems to be a bit of over-reach. Have you seen how large the no-fly zone is for the Washington DC area? But then again, broaching a secured compound with a low flying vehicle that is almost un-detectable on radar is pretty egregious also. Off with his head! Just kidding.

Careful out there boys and girls. Your actions are being monitored. Every dimwitted stunt will lead to more closures of air space.

Fly responsibly or don't fly at all.

2015-6-3
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

The airspace over Washington, D.C. was heavily restricted long before drones were invented.
2015-6-3
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-6-4 05:24
The airspace over Washington, D.C. was heavily restricted long before drones were invented.

There wasn't a 15.5 mile restriction around Washington DC before this however.

My brother was supposed be on the Air Florida flight that hit the 14th Street bridge. Flights in and out of Washington National have long only been allowed to fly along the Potomac River, both in and out bound.

I've done helicopter photography in DC, 20 years back. After 911, they did close off more airspace, but not 15.5 miles. There are plenty of places along the Potomac River where there are lots of open spaces, far away from traffic coming and going to Dulles and National airports.

A great place to do aerial photo's from was Great Falls on the Potomac. The Virginia side is a National Park, while the Maryland side is state owned and had no prohibition.
2015-6-3
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-6-4 06:26
There wasn't a 15.5 mile restriction around Washington DC before this however.

My brother was sup ...

I was led to believe that the entire D.C. area was off-limits to all but a select few. I'll defer to your experience. You are/were certainly in a better position to know than I.

Used to fly quite a bit before I retired, but I can only remember a couple of times in my life when I flew into D.C.!
2015-6-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules