Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
XKCD: A drone into a tornado
525 8 2018-11-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BumblerBee
First Officer
Flight distance : 609816 ft
Norway

Seeing this XKCD cominc, I came to think of an (un)lucky Finnish pilot, whose Mavic got drawn into a thunderstorm: https://forum.dji.com/thread-115500-1-1.html

https://xkcd.com/2072/

Now, a tornado? Sounds cool! I'd definitely do it, but we don't have any tornados in Norway

2018-11-16
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

LOL thanks for sharing mate
2018-11-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 11526437 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hahahaha
2018-11-16
Use props
DJI Gamora
Super Moderator

Hi BumberBee, we appreciate taking time bringing this to us. Mavic Pro is not a water proof drone, it is really dangerous to fly under rainy conditions especially in a tornado. Please refer to product user manual. Thank you for choosing DJI.

Mavic Pro User Manual
2018-11-16
Use props
BumblerBee
First Officer
Norway

DJI Gamora Posted at 11-16 04:36
Hi BumberBee, we appreciate taking time bringing this to us. Mavic Pro is not a water proof drone, it is really dangerous to fly under rainy conditions especially in a tornado. Please refer to product user manual. Thank you for choosing DJI.

Mavic Pro User Manual

That is a valid point. However, in case of flying into a tornado, that would be a suicide mission for the drone, anyway. Much like sending probes to another planet, where they fall to the ground at terminal velocity, while collecting and transmitting data.
The best advice I'd give any daredevil who'd consider sending a drone into a tornado, is to have the gimbal cover and (possibly) prop cages on to ensure the drone can transmit video and be (marginally controllably) airborne for as long as possible.
2018-11-16
Use props
Sky Carrier
Captain
Flight distance : 590102 ft
Netherlands

Hahahhaahahaha, thanks for sharing
2018-11-17
Use props
Lamplighter55
Captain
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

I don't think you need to worry about flying the drone into the tornado - as that will be all automatic,  in fact just strap the prop arms in, in the folded position with duct tape. Super glue the gimbal cover in place and you're good to go. Just run really fast when placing your drone in front of the tornado - otherwise you'll get a more special POV - up close and personal!

... (Do not follow my suggestion BTW it's a joke!)
2018-11-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 1716440 ft
Netherlands

Hahahahahaha.
LOL
2018-11-17
Use props
BumblerBee
First Officer
Norway

Lamplighter55 Posted at 11-17 09:20
I don't think you need to worry about flying the drone into the tornado - as that will be all automatic,  in fact just strap the prop arms in, in the folded position with duct tape. Super glue the gimbal cover in place and you're good to go. Just run really fast when placing your drone in front of the tornado - otherwise you'll get a more special POV - up close and personal!

Hmmm... Good point about super-gluing the gimbal dome.
However, you'd need the props if only to fly the Mavic into the storm from a safe distance and at a certain altitude, unless, of courser, as you point out, you want to go in for a swing together with your Mavic
2018-11-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules