Charging from car's USB port...
2354 8 2018-11-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tentoes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

Took a road trip with Sully today. Used both batteries at our destination.

On the way back, I thought I'd put some charge on one of the batteries, so I plugged it into the car's USB port, figuring an hour or more charge till our next stop. Sully knew a short cut, so it was several hours to our next stop.

Spark didn't charge the battery a lick. It charged my phone earlier. I have charged Sylvester from my phone's car charger before.

Perhaps the car wouldn't give it the current it wanted? The phone knew it wasn't connected to its fast charger. The car doesn't have a cigarette lighter for my phone's car charger. (We were in Sully's car as he doesn't trust mine.)

Sully's short cut took us through some beautiful scenery I would have liked to drone.
2018-11-16
Use props
NRRTRAINS 85
lvl.4

United States

if you did not use the DJI supplied cable  try a different cable . the USB should put out  5v  . i know some car USB outputs take a long time to charge .
2018-11-16
Use props
Hani
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1392995 ft
  • >>>
United States

Today I charged two batteries (using the three-battery hub) on my car. I used a power inverter (300 watt, 110v) and it charged the 2 batteries in 45 mins, I was surprised it charged them that fast, but I checked them on my Spark and they’re full.

I use the power inverter when I spend a few hours in the parks
2018-11-16
Use props
GBNZfootage
lvl.1
Flight distance : 187 ft
New Zealand

Its not just the voltage, you may find the charging port is limited to say 2.0amps. The old style chargers used a wound transformer and would simply overheat if you tried getting too much current out of them. The new electronic solid state stuff will at best trickle charge or not charge at all
2018-11-16
Use props
Tentoes
Second Officer
United States

I'm guessing the spark asked for a high charge rate and the car said no, so it didn't charge. All 4 lights just stayed off the whole time.

Had we taken the other-other car, it has a built-in inverter, and I would have used the triple charger.

My phone tends to burn out USB cables charging, and I always have to use the original, not-at-all-long-enough cord with its "turbo" charger. The spark charges fine from my phone's car-charger, but it was in my car and Sully's car does not have any where to plug it.
2018-11-17
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

Tentoes Posted at 11-17 07:32
I'm guessing the spark asked for a high charge rate and the car said no, so it didn't charge. All 4 lights just stayed off the whole time.

Had we taken the other-other car, it has a built-in inverter, and I would have used the triple charger.

1480mah battery with a 11.4 nominal voltage charged by a 5 volt car stereo USB (what cars use to give USB ports)?  The battery says max charge voltage is 13 volts.  

I heard the spark can be charged by a car's USB.  Maybe the Spark charges each cell individually in the battery pack.  But it would still need to charge 1480mah batteries at a decent current of 1- 1.4 amp for an hour.

I charge my RC airplane's 4200mah battery at 8C.  Charge off the car's battery (not cigarette lighter) at 32amps for about 10 minutes to fully recharge the dead battery.  Off a 1000watt wall AC/DC converter the charge current is 1C and takes an hour.  Lithium batteries are fun.

2018-11-17
Use props
pmshop
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>
United States

Read the car specs for that USB output power.
Of course it should be 5V but I have a feeling it is under 2A
The AC brick that came with the Spark basic is 3A.
I just purchased some AC adapters rated at 3.1A

Check the center console internal storage thoroughly.
There has got to be a 12v out (cigarette lighter port) somewhere.
2018-11-17
Use props
Tentoes
Second Officer
United States

We would have taken my car except Sully thinks a 14-year-old car is about to break down any moment.
2018-11-17
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

get a quickcharge powerbank!
2018-11-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now