TAP FLY DJI GO 4 AND PHANTOM 4 ADVANCED ( P4A )
1027 15 2018-11-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BLADE4PRO
lvl.1
Flight distance : 602825 ft
United States

i cannot go any faster than 3 mph using tap fly and my Phantom 4 Advanced.  Please Advise.

2018-11-18
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha BLADE,

Did you move the slider to increase the speed?

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-11-18
Use props
BLADE4PRO
lvl.1
United States

Cetacean Posted at 11-18 00:57
Aloha BLADE,

Did you move the slider to increase the speed?

Yes.  I am fairly well acquainted with how to use tap fly. I have both the phantom 4 pro and the phantom 4 advanced.

I have used all facets of Tatt fly on the  P4P.   However on my P4A.   I cannot get we are crafter fly faster than 3 MPH.

Move the scale or the slider rather up-and-down doesn’t work. Starting and stopping the app doesn’t work I have refreshed my firmware on the aircraft that doesn’t work. Very little if anything works for Tap fly.
2018-11-18
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

BLADE4PRO Posted at 11-18 02:55
Yes.  I am fairly well acquainted with how to use tap fly. I have both the phantom 4 pro and the phantom 4 advanced.

I have used all facets of Tatt fly on the  P4P.   However on my P4A.   I cannot get we are crafter fly faster than 3 MPH.

Aloha BLADE,

You will have to excuse me if I have offended you regarding TapFly.  You did not provide a lot of information.  Can you confirm that this problem does not exist with the P4 Pro?

Are you using the same device, and therefore the same DJI GO 4 app, with both the Pro and Advanced?  

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-11-18
Use props
BLADE4PRO
lvl.1
United States

Not Offended.

Same GoAp 4 for both yes.  HOWEVER the DJI GO 4 app will not work, unless the app is set up to work with the P4P or the P4A respectively.  So I am using the DJI GO 4 app for the P4A on my Ipad.  
2018-11-18
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

BLADE4PRO Posted at 11-18 13:48
Not Offended.

Same GoAp 4 for both yes.  HOWEVER the DJI GO 4 app will not work, unless the app is set up to work with the P4P or the P4A respectively.  So I am using the DJI GO 4 app for the P4A on my Ipad.

Aloha BLADE,

Does this mean that you are using the same iPad with your P4 Pro?

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-11-19
Use props
BLADE4PRO
lvl.1
United States

Yes.   I am using the same iPad. Does that matter somehow?
2018-11-19
Use props
BLADE4PRO
lvl.1
United States

Cetacean Posted at 11-19 01:22
Aloha BLADE,

Does this mean that you are using the same iPad with your P4 Pro?

Would you by chance be able to make your point a little bit faster? I’d really like to get a solution to this. If you’ve got something I should do or an idea where a couple of ideas maybe you could post them for me that would be nice thank you so much for the help
2018-11-19
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

BLADE4PRO Posted at 11-19 02:28
Would you by chance be able to make your point a little bit faster? I’d really like to get a solution to this. If you’ve got something I should do or an idea where a couple of ideas maybe you could post them for me that would be nice thank you so much for the help

Aloha BLADE,

In a discussion about your problem, someone suggested that they thought that TapFly was not usable on the P4 Advanced.  That did not make sense to me.  Unfortunately, I do not have the P4 Advanced, only the P4 and P4 Pro, so I cannot just go out and test it.  Now that it is clear that you are using the same tablet with DJI GO 4 to fly both the P4 Pro and the P4 Advanced, the problem can be better defined.

With the tablet and app being the same between P4 Pro and P4A, the problem is with the remote controller and/or the aircraft.  You are flying a network of three computers, the DJI GO 4 app is the software operating the network.  Your tablet, RC and AC network are operational for the P4 Pro, that means the weak links are the RC and AC for the P4A.  Now you have said you refreshed the AC firmware.  Are you using the AC FW : V 01.00.0128 and the P4A RC FW : V 2.1.1.0?  These may not be the latest (page not updated by DJI?), but they are compatible with each other because they are listed together.  That always helps.

When you refreshed the AC FW, were you using the DJI Assistant 2 For Phantom v2.0.6?  This version came out on 2018-10-28.  You can check on the lower right corner of the main screen of Assistant 2.  

Is TapFly the only applet you are having problems with?  Have you tried using the right stick to speed up or slow down the P4A when in TapFly (how about with the P4 Pro)?  Do you get the Free and other control options when you choose TapFly in the P4A (how about the P4 Pro)?  Are those pages of the applet the same as with the P4 Pro?

My apologies, I can understand your eagerness to fly your P4A, same here!  TapFly is a useful flight mode.  Hopefully, I have been able to outline your situation so you can act and think your way through some of the issues.  If you have more questions please let me know.  Things should go faster now.

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-11-20
Use props
BLADE4PRO
lvl.1
United States

Cetacean Posted at 11-20 00:56
Aloha BLADE,

In a discussion about your problem, someone suggested that they thought that TapFly was not usable on the P4 Advanced.  That did not make sense to me.  Unfortunately, I do not have the P4 Advanced, only the P4 and P4 Pro, so I cannot just go out and test it.  Now that it is clear that you are using the same tablet with DJI GO 4 to fly both the P4 Pro and the P4 Advanced, the problem can be better defined.

Hey Thanks Cetacean.

I may be moving onto other options.  I am a user and a fan of LITCHI.

I spent a couple of hours with waypoints.  IMO that is almost ALWAYS the best way to go there are so many options to get that butter smooth complex 180 degree climbing shot.  

Anyway the FOCUS feather may be my way to go with my P4A.

THAT SAID.

Yes RC FW and AC FW are same as you suggested and still the problem with the Tap Fly.  

I have performed an IMU, Compass, Vision, and Gimbal calibrations this evening for one final try in the morning.  

Not too sure why DJI would put the Tap Fly Mode on the GO App DEFINED as the P4A...  Without it working.  DJI has been silent on this, this whole time.  I will try chat help in the morning.

I purchased the P4A as a backup to the P4P to use in a pinch.  I just want to know what I have available.

I may find what I am looking for over at LITCHI.  

So to RECAP.  All updates are current.  All FW are as they should be.

Yes Tap Fly works with my P4P.

So...  ???

Thank you for the help.  I will keep you posted if I get it fixed, or if not.  What DJI says and then my experience with LITCHI FOCUS.  Seems to be similar to Tap Fly.

THE MAIN reason I like the Tap Fly is the "Free Mode"  and the ability to climb and descend.  That CAN be accomplished on a waypoint mission with LITCHI as well and more predictably as well as it is always stored if on wished for future.

The drawback with Waypoint is it is not much of an "On the Fly" method.  

That said, I am getting better all the time to set up those WP missions.

I simpy use the drone for altitude. height, cords of what I am filming.  Then practice without filming for safety, then fly and film.

LOL.  Probably TMI here.  But that is my workaround to Tap Fly.

Once an American Company goes full tilt on drones...  DJI days will be numbered.
2018-11-20
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

BLADE4PRO Posted at 11-20 03:26
Hey Thanks Cetacean.

I may be moving onto other options.  I am a user and a fan of LITCHI.

Aloha BLADE,

One caveat about Litchi.  When Litchi says that it requires the latest DJI firmware, be sure to update it to the latest DJI firmware.  Not doing so can cause a crash.  Having everything up-to-date does provide peace of mind.

Also, be very careful about altitude.  So many YouTube demonstrations note or show a crash due to altitude mistakes.  When I fly Litchi, I am very cautious with altitude.  Lucky for crash avoidance because one flight, my P4 Pro was heading right for a broad tree top and stopped just in time, scary!  Litchi had changed my altitude setting somehow (possibly my moving a whole set of waypoints).

Good luck, I will keep an eye out for P4A using TapFly to see if anyone else is having the same problem.  And Litchi has a ton of options if you look carefully into the various instructions.  If you ever feel in a rut, look over any kind of new demonstrations and instructions for Litchi or DJI GO 4 for that matter.  It should never be boring to fly DJI products.

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-11-20
Use props
BLADE4PRO
lvl.1
United States

Cetacean Posted at 11-20 13:59
Aloha BLADE,

One caveat about Litchi.  When Litchi says that it requires the latest DJI firmware, be sure to update it to the latest DJI firmware.  Not doing so can cause a crash.  Having everything up-to-date does provide peace of mind.

Well I am out working with Litchi today! And I am very very stoked! It will take me a couple more hours to have the focus feature down. But I believe this is going to give me everything I need and want plus more that I was trying to get from tap fly.

I’ll put together a couple of small videos of when I got down at the park today and so far it’s looking great the options are countless more I think then they were with that fly.

One thing in particular is smoothness. For some reason the algorithm in the Litchi app is far better than The Go 4.

I know some people like to fly a lot of things in manual etc. and have the bragging rights for their stick talents. However I look at it this way.

A lot of folks that are flying drones on movie sets are flying some kind of equipment that has a camera operator and a pilot together.   How can you not get a beautiful shot!!  
2018-11-20
Use props
BLADE4PRO
lvl.1
United States

BLADE4PRO Posted at 11-20 14:19
Well I am out working with Litchi today! And I am very very stoked! It will take me a couple more hours to have the focus feature down. But I believe this is going to give me everything I need and want plus more that I was trying to get from tap fly.

I’ll put together a couple of small videos of when I got down at the park today and so far it’s looking great the options are countless more I think then they were with that fly.

Absolutely altitude control. When I do a waypoint mission I give my way points a 20 foot clearance if I am flying close to objects. If it’s absolute perfect conditions and calm and the way points are close to my personal location then I could go maybe 5 feet closer but that’s it. Any closer than that I will fly it by hand in tripod mode.
Absolutely altitude control. When I do a waypoint mission I give my way points a 20 foot clearance if I am flying close to objects. If its absolute perfect conditions and calm and the way points are close to my personal location then I could go maybe 5 feet closer but that’s it. Any closer than that I will fly it by hand and tripod mode.
2018-11-20
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

BLADE4PRO Posted at 11-20 14:19

Aloha BLADE,

My friend and I practice flying a Matrice 100 for the company he works for.  He has dual controllers and to be honest, it is not as easy as it looks or appears theoretically.  The two of you have to have very good communication and know the limits of your technology.  You also have to practice, practice and practice some more.

Using this principle, the Intelligent Flight Modes and the Litchi flight options act as another person flying the drone with you.  You then are the cameraman getting the shot.  Each flight mode and option allows a different flight and recording scenario.  Programing the flight mode or option will always be much more consistent than two people flying one drone and recording a video.  However, when two people practice and work together consistently and communicate well, a series of different flight modes and options can be combined in one "take" and allow a much longer recording scenario, kind of a "One Shot" video (or clip).

What ever approach you use, it is not easy, but it sure is fun.  You will find yourself having amazing experiences repeatedly.

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-11-20
Use props
BLADE4PRO
lvl.1
United States

Cetacean Posted at 11-20 17:47
Aloha BLADE,

My friend and I practice flying a Matrice 100 for the company he works for.  He has dual controllers and to be honest, it is not as easy as it looks or appears theoretically.  The two of you have to have very good communication and know the limits of your technology.  You also have to practice, practice and practice some more.

Yep!  I have given up on the P4A version of Tap Fly.  No worries.  Litchi is far more advanced.  That said P4P Tap Fly works awesome.  I may still fly my P4P with Litchi FOCUS.  Smooth as Buttah, as they may say.  So issue resolved in my case.
2018-12-15
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

BLADE4PRO Posted at 12-15 21:57
Yep!  I have given up on the P4A version of Tap Fly.  No worries.  Litchi is far more advanced.  That said P4P Tap Fly works awesome.  I may still fly my P4P with Litchi FOCUS.  Smooth as Buttah, as they may say.  So issue resolved in my case.

Aloha BLADE,

Mahalo for letting me know.  Have fun and fly safe - it is a lot more cheaper!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-12-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules