DJI Spark Gesture Control Mode Nighmare
1133 10 2018-11-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jacob Williams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 824560 ft
United States

I was trying to get my DJI Spark otg cable to work with my Samsung Tab S2 and kept on failing so I gave up. When I went to power off my Spark, I double tapped the power button. I didn't hold the power button long enough on the second tap so the drone automatically entered Gesture Control Mode. I was standing up and my Spark scanned my lower body near my belly button and didn't even see my face. But for some reason, the Spark thought that I was doing a palm launch or something. The Spark's engines powered up but I quickly smothered the drone with my body so it couldn't take off and really some damge to itself inside my house. The Spark's engines quit as they detected something blocking them. My perfectly pristine propellers now have scratches on them and one is completley cracked. I have a coplaint to DJI; make the button combo for powering off the Spark and entering Gesture control less similar. And also, take off your propellers when you aren't planning to go fly and are just testing something out. I am mad at my stupidity and now have $20 and 5 days of waiting for new propellers down the drain. I think DJI should refund me with a new pair of props. What just happened probaly somehow goes under the warrenty.

2018-11-18
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi Jacob, we're terribly sorry about the incident. Please be informed that the instructions on how to power on/off  and how to enter Gesture  mode is visible on our Manual which can be seen here:
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... 0Manual%20V1.6-.pdf

For your request to refund the new pair of props, you may want to send the drone for repair in order for us to do damage assessment and analysis for further investigation. It will help us check if there is a product malfunction. We do recommend to send in if it had some collision/crash or malfunctioned. Please note that we can only request analysis for a product that's still under warranty period.

If you wish to send it for analysis, please fill out the form here: https://repair.dji.com/repair/index
2018-11-18
Use props
Jacob Williams
lvl.4
United States

My Spark is fine. The only thing that is damaged is one set of propellers. What would happen if I sent my drone in to get repaired? Nothing is damaged. My Spark would come back in like one month with new propellers and it probably wouln't even be covered by the warranty. I am not going to send my drone in for repair. Can I send you the flight logs online and then you can send me a refund for the broken propellers?  
2018-11-18
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Jacob Williams Posted at 11-18 13:54
My Spark is fine. The only thing that is damaged is one set of propellers. What would happen if I sent my drone in to get repaired? Nothing is damaged. My Spark would come back in like one month with new propellers and it probably wouln't even be covered by the warranty. I am not going to send my drone in for repair. Can I send you the flight logs online and then you can send me a refund for the broken propellers?

You have our sincere apologies, but please understand that we have proper process for each request on each department. We can only request analysis for a unit that has been shipped in our repair center. In your case, which you have mentioned that nothing is damaged and only the propellers were affected, we will coordinate this to the respective department and we will get back to you. Please note that this request has no guarantee since we have a policy that needs to be complied. Thanks for your patience
2018-11-18
Use props
Jacob Williams
lvl.4
United States

OK thank you I will patiently wait for your reply.
2018-11-18
Use props
Estelle Lau
Second Officer
Flight distance : 38632 ft
  • >>>

Per your description, sounds like a pilot error. I don't think this can be covered by warranty.
2018-11-18
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Jacob Williams Posted at 11-18 17:55
OK thank you I will patiently wait for your reply.

Hi Jacob, we are very sorry to tell you that we cannot request to do analysis without sending the drone in for repair. Also if the unit was not damaged at all, please note that propellers doesn't have its warranty. You may want to check it here. https://www.dji.com/service/policy?site=brandsite&from=footer

2018-11-19
Use props
Jacob Williams
lvl.4
United States

So if I was flying and then all of the sudden a propeller snapped and the drone came crashing down and broke that wouldn't be under the warranty?
2018-11-19
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Jacob Williams Posted at 11-19 19:41
So if I was flying and then all of the sudden a propeller snapped and the drone came crashing down and broke that wouldn't be under the warranty?

That is a different scenario, Jacob. If that happens, it will require you to send the unit as it got damage and we will conduct investigation on what happened, what's the caused and if warranty can be applied.
2018-11-20
Use props
Jacob Williams
lvl.4
United States

If the fault fell under the propellers, then would the drone not be replaced for free?
2018-11-20
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Jacob Williams Posted at 11-20 18:33
If the fault fell under the propellers, then would the drone not be replaced for free?

Hi Jacob, if the drone was analyzed to be crashed because of the propeller, I mean the defect of the propeller, and the drone is within the warranty period, yes, we can provide the warranty service.
2018-11-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules