Battery fell off shortly after take off
1049 9 2018-11-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RainmanWA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 279701 ft
Australia

And my Spark landed on the neighbours roof and was severely damaged. I've lodged a repair request identifying a design/manufacturing fault as the cause so will now have to wait and see what DJI have to say. Does anyone have any feed back on how DJI view this kind of issue/repair?
The drone had only flown 9 metres and the altitude was 14 metres when the battery disconnected with disastrous results. I bought it earlier this year and it looks like the batteries supplied are the "older" design, or is that just a rumour?

2018-11-18
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello RainmanWA. I am sorry to know what happened to your previous flight with your DJI Spark. Since there was a crash that happened. The best thing you need to do is contact DJI Support and open a ticket for your drone for analysis and to check why the battery detached from the DJI Spark. I will be posting a link where you can use to created a ticket for your drone https://www.dji.com/support. Please sync the flight records as well using the DJI Go 4 application. Thank you.

2018-11-18
Use props
ssylca44
First Officer
Flight distance : 434721 ft
Canada

Hi RainmanWA,

Please check the many posts about battery falling. Fist make sure the battery is secure and it doubts get a battery clip.
2018-11-18
Use props
JRedfearn
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8002 ft
United States

I had this happen to my Spark a couple of months ago.  Send a request in to DJI, it may take a couple of days for them to get back with you.  I lost my Spark and it took a month of heated discussions with DJI to get a replacement drone.  Since you have your drone they should be able to repair it for you or send a refurbished unit which they did in my case.  It sucks though that you are having to deal with this and it is very frustrating indeed!  I have to say though after DJI sent me a replacement I now fly with a battery holder.
2018-11-18
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Time for a question:

How many flights has your battery?
Is the AC serial number on the sticker, or any other part of it, not really readable anymore?

I ask, because I have a "pregnant" battery, early stages of after 80+ recharges, used in a brand new bird:
After the SN is rub off, sporadically around the "SN"  and the first numbers.
Which leads to the conclusion, that just a little swelling can "eject" the battery.
Easier/quicker with the older, shorter design

And every normal use  lets the batt swell a bit.
(samsungs Note 7 is the best excample, isn't it?)

Good luck with your claim
2018-11-18
Use props
RainmanWA
lvl.4
Australia

S-e-ven Posted at 11-18 18:55
Time for a question:

How many flights has your battery?

Production date of battery is August 2017. Its been charged 31 times and there is no signs of the serial number being worn off by rubbing due to expansion.

I bought a third battery a few months ago and noticed that the little lugs that hold it in position are slightly more visible than those the drone was supplied with. It has only been charged 2 times and was manufactured in January this year.
2018-11-19
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

RainmanWA Posted at 11-19 01:40
Production date of battery is August 2017. Its been charged 31 times and there is no signs of the serial number being worn off by rubbing due to expansion.

I bought a third battery a few months ago and noticed that the little lugs that hold it in position are slightly more visible than those the drone was supplied with. It has only been charged 2 times and was manufactured in January this year.

Ok, the rubbing off the SN may just only happen, when the batt. is already permanently "a bit pregnant".
As is my one. (I don't fly it any longer)
I noticed one time, after using, it didn't slide in again that easily like normal (cold)
But never the less:
In case there is just little space to the batt compartment, and the batt is swelling a bit during (strong?) use, it might be, with the short lugs, it releases the batt that way, "plop"

Which, of course, does not get communicated, b/c it is a flaw by design (note 7 comes in mind: battery compartment to small for the size of heating batteries)
So it explains that DJI changed silently the lugs and almost always, at least if communicated via this forum, got the pilot a replacement.
2018-11-19
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Oh:

In case you got a casenumber from the service, already:
Get DJI Steven that number.
May help to speed it up for you!
2018-11-19
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

I don't know why anyone who reads this forum hasn't bought a battery clip, yet.  They cost about $3.99 on Amazon and absolutely give me peace of mind I'm not going to lose a battery in flight.  
2018-11-19
Use props
RainmanWA
lvl.4
Australia

Rustic17 Posted at 11-19 07:14
[view_image]   I don't know why anyone who reads this forum hasn't bought a battery clip, yet.  They cost about $3.99 on Amazon and absolutely give me peace of mind I'm not going to lose a battery in flight.

Yeah, once I'm back in the air I'll make sure I purchase something similar
2018-11-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules