Help - What is Going On Here ? Mavic Overload Cost - Very Upset
1596 18 2018-11-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jbsc
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28481 ft

United States

First Ever Post... Please bear with me... two year flyer – DJI fanatic UNTIL NOW !!

So I just flew my Mavic Pro last week with no crashes or hard landings or anything and went to do a quick flight in the neighborhood with my bird and I got a Gimbal Overload Message and can't control the camera at all... the only difference between my last flight and this one is that I did a software update.  After this update I now have no control over the camera or gimbal and keep getting an error message.

I did some quick research and see that there are many having the same issue.... I went through all the steps recommended - refresh through Assistant 2 etc... and when I try to calibrate it just locks at 5% and won't do anything - just keeps giving me the error message.

Over an hour on the phone with DJI support - no fix to my issue at all with the only sensible factor is that the software update caused my error.  I have NOT CRASHED IT nor have I had a hard landing - normal cautious flight patterns.

I take extremely good care of my Mavic always use the gimbal lock for travel / always in a protective case / always very cautious and AWARE - especially since I can't really afford to replace it if anything were to ever happen - I'm sure you know what I mean...

So the final verdict here was to send it in to DJI for a maintenance check and possible repair issues.

** I just got an email quote from DJI saying it will cost me $256 for the repair... what the heck is going on here - I didn't do anything wrong = except a software update.

Here is the list... does anyone have any suggestion here - this is absolutely outrageous...

I have had nothing but great things to say about my Mavic and DJI until now - this is ridiculous.

Item List

Front Right Motor Arm

Quantity: 1

Net Price : 22.00

Total Price: 22.00

Rear Left Motor Arm

Net Price : 19.00

Total Price: 19.00

Rear Right Motor Arm

Net Price : 19.00

Total Price: 19.00

Upper Cover

Net Price : 1.00

Total Price: 1.00

Middle Frame Module

Net Price : 4.00

Total Price: 4.00

Gimbal Vibration Damping Module

Net Price : 2.00

Total Price: 2.00

Gimbal Arm Module

Net Price : 59.00

Total Price: 59.00

Repair Service Fee

Quantity: 2

Net Price : 65.00

Total Price: 130.00

Shipping Cost

Total Amount

2018-11-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Do you have warranty if you have what are dji saying caused your problem, normally only crashing or dropping your craft will void your warranty.
2018-11-19
Use props
Ahmed Hussain
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1339761 ft
  • >>>
Kuwait

You can fly without repairing! Ask youtube "Mavic pro how to fix gimbal overload".
2018-11-19
Use props
Ahmed Hussain
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1339761 ft
  • >>>
Kuwait

Like this one here.

2018-11-19
Use props
jbsc
lvl.1

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-19 06:38
Do you have warranty if you have what are dji saying caused your problem, normally only crashing or dropping your craft will void your warranty.

Thanks for the response... No warranty - had the DJI care extension but it just expired in September...
2018-11-19
Use props
jbsc
lvl.1

United States

Ahmed Hussain Posted at 11-19 07:51
You can fly without repairing! Ask youtube "Mavic pro how to fix gimbal overload".

Thank you for the reply... Tried that before I sent it in... went through several "Fixes" on youtube - none of them worked - It was a last resort to sent it in because nothing seemed to work, which is why I'm thinking it has to be software related... Now they want to replace several components and charge me over $250.  I just don't understand why all these parts need "replaced" when I didn't crash the drone.... extremely frustrating.
2018-11-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jbsc Posted at 11-19 08:23
Thank you for the reply... Tried that before I sent it in... went through several "Fixes" on youtube - none of them worked - It was a last resort to sent it in because nothing seemed to work, which is why I'm thinking it has to be software related... Now they want to replace several components and charge me over $250.  I just don't understand why all these parts need "replaced" when I didn't crash the drone.... extremely frustrating.

Hopefully a moderator will step in on here and look at your case.
2018-11-19
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

jbsc Posted at 11-19 08:23
Thank you for the reply... Tried that before I sent it in... went through several "Fixes" on youtube - none of them worked - It was a last resort to sent it in because nothing seemed to work, which is why I'm thinking it has to be software related... Now they want to replace several components and charge me over $250.  I just don't understand why all these parts need "replaced" when I didn't crash the drone.... extremely frustrating.

Just double check they could have mixed your drone with another that had a crash and need these parts. it has happened before
2018-11-19
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

Exact reason I don't/won't do any updates. never have since opening the fly more box over a year and a half ago.
My bird is perfectly fine, thank you.
All those "fancy" patterns that are tossed out as "bait" to update, sometimes they "update" fine, and sometimes "not so fine".

I just learn to fly those manually myself.
2018-11-19
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi there, we understand your frustration. I already check your case using your email address, sorry to say but as per checking here at our end that your drone is already out of warranty. Any further information about the warranty policy, you can check that out at our website or using this link https://www.dji.com/service/policy . Actually you have a 2 option for now, 1st is pay the quotation and fix your drone, 2nd is we can send your drone back un repair and you can look for any recommended repair services near you Click Here.  Any further assistance you can contact our support team at https://www.dji.com/support . Thank you.
2018-11-19
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Expensive update for sure.
2018-11-19
Use props
HedsIc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478757 ft
United States

Kind of like a car. Once it's out of its warranty coverage the cost is all on you no matter what the cause of the issue is. Unless it's a recall issue. The least DJI can do is provide you a cause or say what happened. Could be a $10 repair to do yourself if you just had an idea of where to start.
2018-11-20
Use props
jbsc
lvl.1

United States

Suren Posted at 11-19 09:55
Just double check they could have mixed your drone with another that had a crash and need these parts. it has happened before

Good thinking - I'm definitely going to check... thank you
2018-11-20
Use props
jbsc
lvl.1

United States

HedsIc Posted at 11-20 07:52
Kind of like a car. Once it's out of its warranty coverage the cost is all on you no matter what the cause of the issue is. Unless it's a recall issue. The least DJI can do is provide you a cause or say what happened. Could be a $10 repair to do yourself if you just had an idea of where to start.

Definitely - I just can't wrap my mind around what could have possibly happened outside of a software issue causing the problem after I did the update... everything was working perfectly, did the update and lost control of the gimbal and all camera functions... Odd to say the least... thanks for the reply
2018-11-20
Use props
jbsc
lvl.1

United States

Item List --- Front Right Motor Arm =  $22.00 / Rear Left Motor Arm =  $19.00 / Rear Right Motor Arm = $19.00 / Upper Cover = $1.00 / Middle Frame Module = $4.00 / Gimbal Vibration Damping Module = $2.00 / Gimbal Arm Module = $59.00 / Repair Service Fee = $130.00 / Total Amount $256
2018-11-20
Use props
jbsc
lvl.1

United States

Flycaster Posted at 11-19 10:18
Exact reason I don't/won't do any updates. never have since opening the fly more box over a year and a half ago.
My bird is perfectly fine, thank you.
All those "fancy" patterns that are tossed out as "bait" to update, sometimes they "update" fine, and sometimes "not so fine".

That'll definitely be the last time I do one...
2018-11-20
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

jbsc Posted at 11-20 17:35
Definitely - I just can't wrap my mind around what could have possibly happened outside of a software issue causing the problem after I did the update... everything was working perfectly, did the update and lost control of the gimbal and all camera functions... Odd to say the least... thanks for the reply

Hi Jon, I understand and sorry for your case. I have to disagree on your belief that this was possibly caused by the firmware. First if it was, all Mavic Pro should've encounter the same issue after the update. But since there are physical damages on the unit which may be due to some impact, which also may cause component failure since the drone is made with very sensitive parts. Second, each electronic device has its limited warranty period which is somehow enough for the user to maintain the unit's life to last for several years. Hope this help to answer your concern.
2018-11-21
Use props
jbsc
lvl.1

United States

but there are other mavic pro users experiencing the exact same thing it is all over the Internet and YouTube with us all having the same problems the same thing is happening, many many people are experiencing the exact same error message about the gimbal overload having done nothing to cause it... I'm just suggesting it's a software or firmware issue because nothing else makes sense for any of us... there is definitely a problem with the mavic pro and this circumstance is happening to many owners not just myself.... Just Google gimbal overload error mavic pro and look what comes up it's not just me and my case... There is something going on with the mavic pro and this error prompt, it seems I'm just the only one who has sent my bird in for repairs and now I'm getting blasted with the 250 + dollar repair bill... How could so many of us be having the same problem and stating that we have not had a crash and have not done anything to cause it... Just a coincidence I guess?
2018-11-21
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

jbsc Posted at 11-21 08:45
but there are other mavic pro users experiencing the exact same thing it is all over the Internet and YouTube with us all having the same problems the same thing is happening, many many people are experiencing the exact same error message about the gimbal overload having done nothing to cause it... I'm just suggesting it's a software or firmware issue because nothing else makes sense for any of us... there is definitely a problem with the mavic pro and this circumstance is happening to many owners not just myself.... Just Google gimbal overload error mavic pro and look what comes up it's not just me and my case... There is something going on with the mavic pro and this error prompt, it seems I'm just the only one who has sent my bird in for repairs and now I'm getting blasted with the 250 + dollar repair bill... How could so many of us be having the same problem and stating that we have not had a crash and have not done anything to cause it... Just a coincidence I guess?

As I have mentioned on my previous reply, any physical damages on the unit that may be due to some impact or normal impair can also cause component weaken or failure since the drone is composed with sensitive electronic parts. That is why we provide enough warranty period for each parts to maintain the unit last depends on how it is being used.
2018-11-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules