Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hani
First Officer
Flight distance : 1392995 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi,

Excuse my ignorance in this, but have been testing the otg cable with the Spark and it looks to me that I caused no issues (so far). So I am wondering why the DJI does not support it for iOS devices?  What could potentially go wrong?

I am wondering because the Spark and RC are connecting via WiFi and the OTG cable has nothing to do with that connection. The OTG is connecting the phone to the RC, so why is it a threat?
2018-11-19
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

I think with "Why is a OTG Cable on iOS a threat for the Spark", you may have better chances for an answer!
2018-11-20
Use props
Laz22
lvl.3
Flight distance : 63307 ft
United States

I think there were more connection issues traditionally with Android then IOS.  DJI released a firmware update and "supported" the OTG cable for Android where in the past updated had not supported the cable.  I guess DJI does see a issue with the connection via IOS so they still "don't support" using the cable.  
2018-11-20
Use props
Laz22
lvl.3
United States

*does not see an issue
2018-11-20
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi Hani, we do appreciate your interest in our products. Currently, OTG cable is not yet fully compatible for IOS devices. For the latest update of your Spark, we optimized the remote controller for you to be able to use an OTG cable. Rest assured that we will keep improving our products to give you more option when in terms of compatibility. You can also check our recommended devices by using this link: https://www.dji.com/spark/downloads Thanks for your support.

2018-11-20
Use props
Tentoes
First Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

I've used the OTG cable for both android and iPhone with no problem.
2018-11-20
Use props
Hani
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

S-e-ven Posted at 11-20 04:19
I think with "Why is a OTG Cable on iOS a threat for the Spark", you may have better chances for an answer!

Glad you see it this way. It’s good to have a title that attracts readers
2018-11-20
Use props
Hani
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Laz22 Posted at 11-20 05:00
I think there were more connection issues traditionally with Android then IOS.  DJI released a firmware update and "supported" the OTG cable for Android where in the past updated had not supported the cable.  I guess DJI does see a issue with the connection via IOS so they still "don't support" using the cable.

Yes, the latest update fixes the issue with Android. But I was wondering why the otg cable is not recommended since it only connects the RC to the iPhone, which I see it more secure than the WiFi connection between RC and iPhone.
2018-11-20
Use props
Laz22
lvl.3
United States

DJI says its not fully compatible and the firmware does not support it which is why you get that pop up when connecting stating that.  If you looking for a more in depth answer maybe another member can chime in.  I don't think you will get much more from DJI.  
If it works for you then don't change and yes I see it as more secure too.  There are a lot of threads here on why/how a crash occurred and questions concerning IOS with OTG rarely come up(if at all).  Just make sure to do pre flight and connect the cable in the proper order and Go FLY!
2018-11-20
Use props
Hani
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 11-20 05:48
Hi Hani, we do appreciate your interest in our products. Currently, OTG cable is not yet fully compatible for IOS devices. For the latest update of your Spark, we optimized the remote controller for you to be able to use an OTG cable. Rest assured that we will keep improving our products to give you more option when in terms of compatibility. You can also check our recommended devices by using this link: https://www.dji.com/spark/downloads Thanks for your support.

[view_image]

Thank you, Paladin, for the detailed reply. Could you please shed a light on what risks the OTG cable may cause when connecting iOS devices to the RC for the Spark?
2018-11-20
Use props
Hani
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Tentoes Posted at 11-20 06:43
I've used the OTG cable for both android and iPhone with no problem.

Great, I have not seen any posts talking about issues for iOS connection. Thank you my friend.
2018-11-20
Use props
Hani
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Laz22 Posted at 11-20 10:24
DJI says its not fully compatible and the firmware does not support it which is why you get that pop up when connecting stating that.  If you looking for a more in depth answer maybe another member can chime in.  I don't think you will get much more from DJI.  
If it works for you then don't change and yes I see it as more secure too.  There are a lot of threads here on why/how a crash occurred and questions concerning IOS with OTG rarely come up(if at all).  Just make sure to do pre flight and connect the cable in the proper order and Go FLY!

I totally agree with you. I was very hesitant about using OTG cable in the beginning, but I tried it several times and I did not see any issues at all. I have noticed how the live feed is much better.
2018-11-20
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Hani Posted at 11-20 12:41
Thank you, Paladin, for the detailed reply. Could you please shed a light on what risks the OTG cable may cause when connecting iOS devices to the RC for the Spark?

There is no risk using an OTG cable for IOS devices. The thing is, it is not yet optimized for Spark. Some IOS devices will work fine with  OTG cable, however, we can't guarantee if you can use all the features and functionality of the APP. If there's an update about this, we will inform you here in forum or you can check  directly our website :https://www.dji.com/. Thanks for your understanding.
2018-11-21
Use props
Tentoes
First Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

Oh, yes. The iPhone always says, "Device not supported." Just click that away Go4 knows what the remote is even if apple doesn't. (It doesn't know whether to open it and show photos, or back up to it or what.)
2018-11-21
Use props
Nidge
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Hi Hani

As someone who uses both Android and iOS with a Spark I hope I can put your mind at rest.

One of the big drivers for us European Android  users for OTG support was the fact that Euro Android devices could not access the 5.8GHz WiFi connection from the controller. This meant that the performance/range was severely limited as we were forced into using 2.4GHz connection between device and controller and relying on the very low powered (25mW) 5.8GHz link from controller to aircraft. Using the OTG cable meant we could use the more effective 2.4GHz link for the controller to aircraft link. It also dramatically reduces the latency and frame dropping of the video downlink.

For some strange reason the majority, if not all, iOS devices in Europe have access to the controllers 5.8GHz WiFi connection. This is probably why DJI push iOS users to refrain from using an OTG connection. I’m currently using a 2018 6th Gen (128GB) iPad with my Spark, with next to no other APPs installed, and I still notice a dramatic improvement in the quality and reliability of the video downlink when I use an OTG cable. The reason why the “THIS DEVICE IS NOT SUPPORTED” message appears is because Apple, being the typical control freak company, don’t like owners using “their” lightning connection for off label purposes.

The only possible downside to using an OTG cable is a loss of the downlink info if you accidentally pull the cable from the controller while in use. This isn’t as terrible as it sounds as you’ll still be able to control the Spark, pause it in flight while remaking the connection or initiating RTH if things get really panicky.

Regards

Nidge.

2018-11-21
Use props
Hani
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 11-21 05:33
There is no risk using an OTG cable for IOS devices. The thing is, it is not yet optimized for Spark. Some IOS devices will work fine with  OTG cable, however, we can't guarantee if you can use all the features and functionality of the APP. If there's an update about this, we will inform you here in forum or you can check  directly our website :https://www.dji.com/. Thanks for your understanding.

Thank you, Paladin, for the explanation!
2018-11-25
Use props
Hani
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Tentoes Posted at 11-21 07:37
Oh, yes. The iPhone always says, "Device not supported." Just click that away Go4 knows what the remote is even if apple doesn't. (It doesn't know whether to open it and show photos, or back up to it or what.)

Yes, Tentoes. I do that everytime the message pops up.
2018-11-25
Use props
Hani
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Nidge Posted at 11-21 12:38
Hi Hani

As someone who uses both Android and iOS with a Spark I hope I can put your mind at rest.

Thank you, Nidge! You enriched this thread with your detailed reply! I am sure others will find it useful.

I appreciate it, Nidge.
2018-11-25
Use props
djiuser_NCXRokNslVsT
lvl.3
Flight distance : 163619 ft
United States

Nidge Posted at 11-21 12:38
Hi Hani

Nidge,  
Do you know of a workaroud to get the OTG cable to work on a Galaxy S4 running Android 5.0.1?
2018-11-25
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

The truth is flying wifi over OTG was a big no no for me until the last FW upgrade(before I sold my spark) after the FW upgrade wifi flying was awesome and flying it without fear.
2018-11-25
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Hani Posted at 11-25 16:26
Thank you, Paladin, for the explanation!

You're welcome. Please let me know if you need further assistance, we're here to help. Enjoy and always have a safe flight!
2018-11-25
Use props
Nidge
Second Officer

United Kingdom

djiuser_NCXRokNslVsT Posted at 11-25 20:18
Nidge,  
Do you know of a workaroud to get the OTG cable to work on a Galaxy S4 running Android 5.0.1?

I’m not familiar with the S4 I’m afraid. Ensure you have USB/OTG debugging enabled in the Developer options found in the phone’s settings menu. However you might try this trick I used for a Samsung J5 before I upgraded to the S7.

First of all the order in which the cable was connected was crucial.

1. Power on the remote and the Spark and wait for them to bind.
2. Connect the OTG cable to the phone first and then to the remote.

With the J5 this resulted in a pop-up message appearing but with no way to click OK as it would just keep flashing on and off.  So with everything still connected restart the phone. Once the phone has restarted, and you are on the home screen, the pop-up message should appear again but this time you will be able to tick the “OK” box and the DJIGO4 app should start.

As I mentioned above this worked for my Samsung J5 and as it’s a similar age to the S4 there maybe some similarities.

Regards

Nidge.
2018-11-26
Use props
Wanbli
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3848497 ft
United States

So I've been having a HORRIBLE time with this OTG Cable! I've sent my RC in for repair twice and finally got it to connect. I was hoping this would fix my issues with the video downlink for FPV. But, actually the OTG cable made it worse, I can't even see what is going on thru the pixelation. The lag is horrible (at least 5-7 seconds) which makes the device unusable. I'm using a Note 4 with all non-system apps disabled or uninstalled, no notifications enabled except DJI, BT disabled and no other apps running.
If anyone has any suggestions, please help, otherwise, this spark goes on eBay!
2018-12-2
Use props
Hani
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Lucas775 Posted at 11-25 21:22
The truth is flying wifi over OTG was a big no no for me until the last FW upgrade(before I sold my spark) after the FW upgrade wifi flying was awesome and flying it without fear.

That's great to hear
2018-12-2
Use props
Hani
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wanbli Posted at 12-2 14:34
So I've been having a HORRIBLE time with this OTG Cable! I've sent my RC in for repair twice and finally got it to connect. I was hoping this would fix my issues with the video downlink for FPV. But, actually the OTG cable made it worse, I can't even see what is going on thru the pixelation. The lag is horrible (at least 5-7 seconds) which makes the device unusable. I'm using a Note 4 with all non-system apps disabled or uninstalled, no notifications enabled except DJI, BT disabled and no other apps running.
If anyone has any suggestions, please help, otherwise, this spark goes on eBay!

Sorry to hear that. I am an iOS user so I really cannot tell what to do in this case. I would talk with DJI Support and see what they can do.
I wonder why it is not working for some Android users? I know some users say they were happy with it ( i saw some youtube videos).
2018-12-2
Use props
Wanbli
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3848497 ft
United States

Hani Posted at 12-2 22:32
Sorry to hear that. I am an iOS user so I really cannot tell what to do in this case. I would talk with DJI Support and see what they can do.
I wonder why it is not working for some Android users? I know some users say they were happy with it ( i saw some youtube videos).

Wifi works ok, much better that OTG, I was really hoping I could fly this FPV, but not with this video quality and lag! I'm writing support now. I spent alot of money on this kit, I would have been better off with some of the >$50 drones!
2018-12-3
Use props
Hani
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wanbli Posted at 12-3 12:52
Wifi works ok, much better that OTG, I was really hoping I could fly this FPV, but not with this video quality and lag! I'm writing support now. I spent alot of money on this kit, I would have been better off with some of the >$50 drones!

I hope the support will resolve the issue with you Spark. You will love the Spark when the connection issue is resolved.

Make sure you turn the RC first and then the Spark and wait until they're connected (green light indicator in the RC) and then put airplane mode or turn off wifi and then connect the OTG cable. I do this everytime I connect the OTG.
2018-12-3
Use props
WilfredSparkman 0
Second Officer
Flight distance : 182215 ft
United Kingdom

Laz22 Posted at 11-20 05:00

Sorry for the OP's loss here but this is the only time Apple vs Android and Android won!! I'm always like the bastard step child being a samsung user!! This is a rarity!!!
2018-12-4
Use props
Albermen Barraquiel
lvl.1

Australia

Since the OTG cable that comes with the Spark is designed for Android phone, I do believe that iPhone users encounter problems when they attach adapters to OTG Cable.
Although there are third-party selling OTG cable for iPhone or type-C Android phones, I am still hoping DJI could give us the option to purchase OTG cable for iPhone or type-C Android phones
2018-12-26
Use props
stuka75
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

Albermen Barraquiel Posted at 12-26 23:09
Since the OTG cable that comes with the Spark is designed for Android phone, I do believe that iPhone users encounter problems when they attach adapters to OTG Cable.
Although there are third-party selling OTG cable for iPhone or type-C Android phones, I am still hoping DJI could give us the option to purchase OTG cable for iPhone or type-C Android phones

The cable that comes with the spark is not an OTG. Its for charging and transferring data and vids. An OTG cable has a host specific end. that said, some have had success using the cable that comes with the spark and other mini usb cables. Not consistent. I had to buy an OTG specific cable to get it to work. I have over a dozen cables similar to that came with the Spark. Non worked.
2018-12-27
Use props
Phuket7
lvl.1
Flight distance : 34078 ft
United States

I have an iPad Pro 10.5 running iOS 12.1.1 and it won’t work for me with OTG. The official supported device list on DJI website lists iPad Pro as supported but apparently not for me.
2019-1-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules