Phantom 4 RTK - NA Version not allowing use of Mobile Hotspot
3718 10 2018-11-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JADaniello
lvl.1
United States

Question for DJI staff/developers. Is it a known issue that the NA Version of the Phantom 4 RTK will not allow the use of a mobile hotspot to recieve network corrections for RTK capabilities? I know it was intended to do so, it was advertised to do so, there is even literature in your manuals supporting the statement. However, in the current firmware version it is not an option within the app to change from 4G to Wifi to recieve network corrections. Is there something I am doing wrong perhaps? A little bit of insight or any information would be helpful.

Assuming this first paragraph to be true. DJI has made mention, several times, in its literature that only a DJI 'approved' 4G dongle should be used with the new remote. Can we get a list of what these approved dongles are and where they can be purchased? I am currently dead in the water without a solution to these issues.

Thanks.

2018-11-20
Use props
JADaniello
lvl.1
United States

Update - I have been able to successfully connect the aircraft and remote to my local corrections network. One key element to this is that there is no clearly displayed 'LogIn' button for the network application. After you input your network credentials you have to physically tap the 'Settings' text on the RTK tab itself. I feel both foolish and aggrevated at the same time. This is something so simple, but at the same time it is not clearly displayed or instructed anywhere in the literature.
2018-11-21
Use props
Mafia16
First Officer
Flight distance : 26490948 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

JADaniello Posted at 11-21 07:25
Update - I have been able to successfully connect the aircraft and remote to my local corrections network. One key element to this is that there is no clearly displayed 'LogIn' button for the network application. After you input your network credentials you have to physically tap the 'Settings' text on the RTK tab itself. I feel both foolish and aggrevated at the same time. This is something so simple, but at the same time it is not clearly displayed or instructed anywhere in the literature.

These happen to me also, they weird thing was i didn't bring a 4g dongle.
2018-11-25
Use props
fansa2fa9188
lvl.3
Flight distance : 43074 ft
  • >>>
Canada

got the same... we use an huawei E8372 , is detected , but connection to the network don't work ( connection status) the zte dongle is discontinued everywhere...
2018-12-4
Use props
fansa2fa9188
lvl.3
Flight distance : 43074 ft
  • >>>
Canada

JADaniello Posted at 11-21 07:25
Update - I have been able to successfully connect the aircraft and remote to my local corrections network. One key element to this is that there is no clearly displayed 'LogIn' button for the network application. After you input your network credentials you have to physically tap the 'Settings' text on the RTK tab itself. I feel both foolish and aggrevated at the same time. This is something so simple, but at the same time it is not clearly displayed or instructed anywhere in the literature.

have you a pict where the network info need to be feeded ?  just find the ntrip host information to enter
thks
2018-12-4
Use props
MTCWBY
lvl.3

United States

The messaging is a little confusing in what it says. From the message I thought I had no network connection and the hotspot wasn't working when in reality I had an authentication problem with the Ntrip server. Another tip is that when you switch anything, go up to the top of that panel and toggle RTK off and on. It often takes that to reinitialize the connection.
2018-12-14
Use props
JADaniello
lvl.1
United States

You can also manually click on the green text that says 'Settings' on the RTK setup page to connect/refresh your connection to the corrections network.
2018-12-26
Use props
jgillan
lvl.2

United States

JADaniello Posted at 2018-11-21 07:25

Hello JADaniello, I have been following your threads on the forum. You seem to have a few months of experience with the P4RTK. I just got my P4RTK. Right now I'm confused about the use of the dongle, and why it was not part of my purchase here in USA (Arizona). You mention that you were able to connect to your local corrections network. Did you use a dongle and sim card or connect to a wifi hotspot without the dongle? My local correction network told me to use a dongle (they are sending the sim card to me). Of course I don't have a dongle and don't know what kind to get. Any information would be much appreciated. Thank you for actively sharing information on this forum.  
2019-2-20
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just chiming in here to say it works with a hotspot for us. The GUI is clunky and the NTRIP mount point must be specified along with the host, port, user, and password before connecting, as opposed to most NTRIP clients which will connect & authenticate, read the mount points available, and let you choose the one you want. This really sucks, because you must know the exact spelling of the data stream you're after.
Clearly DJI has only a cursory understanding of how surveyors and precison mappers work, as the P4RTK is really half-baked at best. But it can be made to work, and is far better than their previous enterprise/commercial-level RTK solutions in which the RTK positioning was not applied to image geotags.
2019-2-20
Use props
jgillan
lvl.2

United States

patiam Posted at 2-20 16:05
Just chiming in here to say it works with a hotspot for us. The GUI is clunky and the NTRIP mount point must be specified along with the host, port, user, and password before connecting, as opposed to most NTRIP clients which will connect & authenticate, read the mount points available, and let you choose the one you want. This really sucks, because you must know the exact spelling of the data stream you're after.
Clearly DJI has only a cursory understanding of how surveyors and precison mappers work, as the P4RTK is really half-baked at best. But it can be made to work, and is far better than their previous enterprise/commercial-level RTK solutions in which the RTK positioning was not applied to image geotags.

Thank you! Looking around more on the forum, it appears that everyone seems to be using the hotspot method and no one has figured our the dongle method yet (at least in USA). I'm trying to get some answers from the reseller, but chances are they have no idea how to make the dongle method work either.
2019-2-21
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

jgillan Posted at 2-21 10:49
Thank you! Looking around more on the forum, it appears that everyone seems to be using the hotspot method and no one has figured our the dongle method yet (at least in USA). I'm trying to get some answers from the reseller, but chances are they have no idea how to make the dongle method work either.

I've seen a YouTube somewhere with a guy using the Dongle... I'll post if I find it again.

But to me it just seems easier to use your own hotspot.  It's not as if it adds an additional failure point relative to using the dongle.
2019-2-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules