7325 28 2018-11-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Edward J Smith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1852408 ft
  • >>>
United States

So I have a P4P+ running current version software execpt for the fly safe file, flew 3 batteries everything is fine. I decieded to download the flysafe file and upgrade it and now this:

plus screen.jpg
2018-11-21
Use props
Edward J Smith
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Why 394 feet? It's in yellow so it must be a warning. ???? it operated fine for another 2 batteeries even with the message. I did reboot both rc and ac 3-4 times it's still there.
2018-11-21
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So is it telling you what you've set your height limit at, or telling you the legal limit for that location, or is it enforcing that limit at that location ?

A few test flights should tell.
2018-11-21
Use props
Edward J Smith
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 11-21 14:21
So is it telling you what you've set your height limit at, or telling you the legal limit for that location, or is it enforcing that limit at that location ?

A few test flights should tell.

It is enforcing that limit but I have it set at 122 meters (400.262 ft) anyway so it's not a big deal except that it is uncomfortable flying with warnings I don't understand or why.
2018-11-21
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Edward J Smith Posted at 11-21 14:26
It is enforcing that limit but I have it set at 122 meters (400.262 ft) anyway so it's not a big deal except that it is uncomfortable flying with warnings I don't understand or why.

Does the FAA not set a 400ft AGL limit, that will likely be why its like that I would think. You'd have to look at flight restrictions to see if it's specific to your location, or is it a new Max' AGL for U.S.A.
In U.K now CAA (Civil Aviation Authority) have now written a 400 ft AGL limit into law, so now an offence to fly above that. For most purposes it shouldn't make much difference I would think.

2018-11-21
Use props
Edward J Smith
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 11-21 14:36
Does the FAA not set a 400ft AGL limit, that will likely be why its like that I would think. You'd have to look at flight restrictions to see if it's specific to your location, or is it a new Max' AGL for U.S.A.
In U.K now CAA (Civil Aviation Authority) have now written a 400 ft AGL limit into law, so now an offence to fly above that. For most purposes it shouldn't make much difference I would think.

It is 400 ft but it never came up as a yellow warning message before and it don't live within 5 miles of any airport. It started after I updated the flysafe database.
2018-11-21
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

First I have seen of this.  Glad I didn't update.
2018-11-21
Use props
Edward J Smith
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Gee thanks............... LOL
2018-11-21
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

Edward J Smith Posted at 11-21 14:41
It is 400 ft but it never came up as a yellow warning message before and it don't live within 5 miles of any airport. It started after I updated the flysafe database.

Check the Geo Zone Map for your location.

https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map

The "Bow Ties" are new as of last week and can extend past 5 miles.......

Randy
2018-11-21
Use props
Tree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 451119 ft
United States

it's the default setting you can change it.
2018-11-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Edward J Smith Posted at 11-21 14:26

You can easily check to see what the cause is.
Just change your Max Altitude setting to 50 metres and see what it tells you when you get up that high.
2018-11-21
Use props
Aerial-Image
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The 400ft AGL rule applies where ever you fly even if the nearest airport is 50 or a 100 miles away (for UK).
2018-11-21
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

Edward J S,  can you uninstall the Fly Safe File ?
2018-11-22
Use props
BagoDJIoperator84
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
United States

DJI updated the fly safe for the USA, so if you live close to certain areas there updates telling how high you can fly, yes FAA says 400AGL but they are changing it. I think the new flysafe is better just getting used too.
2018-11-22
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Edward,

You are getting the warning because you have set your maximum altitude higher than 400 feet.  Reset your max altitude to 120 meters and see if it goes away.  122 meters is over 400 feet by .262 feet.  That makes it a violation and you will get the warning.  Altitude limits are set in meters and 394 feet is 120 meters.

Just out of curiosity, is the area you are flying relatively flat?  The highest allowed altitude in DJI GO 4 is 500 meters and it has to be set in General Settings.

I hope to fly tomorrow and I will check to see if the limit has changed.  I recently updated my "FlySafe File" to.  But, the mountains next to my house are supposed to allow me to fly up to 1640 feet.  We will see if it still applies.

Mahalo for the heads-up!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-11-23
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

First is to check the FlySafe database and whether a zone has been noted near your location.

Nigel
2018-11-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Interesting update to see the warnings pop up in yellow now - this must somehow be linked to geo settings.
2018-11-23
Use props
Edward J Smith
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

rwynant V1 Posted at 11-21 16:22
Check the Geo Zone Map for your location.

https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map

This is what it is... I didn't know about the changes.

2018-11-23
Use props
Edward J Smith
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Manxmann Posted at 11-22 02:24
Edward J S,  can you uninstall the Fly Safe File ?

I don't think so...……. won't be updating my other P4P
2018-11-23
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Edward J Smith Posted at 11-23 16:18
I don't think so...……. won't be updating my other P4P

Aloha Edward,

It is just your setting.  Reset your altitude to 120 meters and the warning will go away.  I flew today with the new update (updated and restarted today).  No problems.  I could have gone up to 1640 feet (500 meters) in the mountains with my P4 Pro if needed.  And this is right at the 5 mile limit of a military airport.

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-11-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 11-24 01:01
Aloha Edward,

It is just your setting.  Reset your altitude to 120 meters and the warning will go away.  I flew today with the new update (updated and restarted today).  No problems.  I could have gone up to 1640 feet (500 meters) in the mountains with my P4 Pro if needed.  And this is right at the 5 mile limit of a military airport.

I wonder if they ever scan the sky, and pick up any of your drones, on the security monitor? Ha

RedHotPoker

2018-11-24
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 11-24 01:04
I wonder if they ever scan the sky, and pick up any of your drones, on the security monitor? Ha

Aloha RHP,

Yes, they do and if I am in violation, they have in the past slowly taken control away from me.  But that was at least a year ago before the rules were well defined and some of us were accidentally intruding in their airspace.

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-11-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 11-24 09:57
Aloha RHP,

Yes, they do and if I am in violation, they have in the past slowly taken control away from me.  But that was at least a year ago before the rules were well defined and some of us were accidentally intruding in their airspace.

Fly safe, fly free. Bring it back in one piece. Haha

Yes, they need that security. Let’s Remember Pearl Harbor?

RedHotPoker
2018-11-24
Use props
DallasDroneGuy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13216588 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2018-11-24 01:01
Aloha Edward,

I am not sure I understand your comment. The warning will go away but the OP still will be limited correct, except now limited to 120m. So how is that related to you flying at 1600+ in your location? I ask because I need to shoot around tall buildings. Totally legal to go up to 400 feet above the roof as long as I am within 400 feet laterally of the building. So 500 foot building, I can legally go 900 feet AGL. But I am limited to 393' which makes me worry that auto RTH won't even climb over the buildings if necessary. Any insight that may help here? Thanks in advance.
2019-2-13
Use props
DJI_112
lvl.4
Flight distance : 79606 ft

Germany

Exact the reason, I never touch a running system and I never agree to any DJI updates. You'll never know, which new restrictions are implemented without announcement.
2019-2-13
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DallasDroneGuy Posted at 2-13 12:43
I am not sure I understand your comment. The warning will go away but the OP still will be limited correct, except now limited to 120m. So how is that related to you flying at 1600+ in your location? I ask because I need to shoot around tall buildings. Totally legal to go up to 400 feet above the roof as long as I am within 400 feet laterally of the building. So 500 foot building, I can legally go 900 feet AGL. But I am limited to 393' which makes me worry that auto RTH won't even climb over the buildings if necessary. Any insight that may help here? Thanks in advance.

Aloha DDG,

One of the RTH options is to backtrack along the path that got you to the disconnect.  If used, this will return you into a location with communication between the Phantom and the RC without having to go over the tower.  (To me that is the more important question.)

To answer the other question, 500 meters is the maximum computer limited altitude for DJI quadcopters.  That allows the Phantom to fly up to a maximum of 1640 feet above the device on the remote controller.  

The RC has no GPS but the Phantom and device do.  If the device does not have GPS, there are certain Intelligent Flight Modes that will not work.  Setting MAX Altitude to 500 meters is how you will be able to get up to 900 feet to inspect your tower and if you went over the top to get to the other side and there you lost your signal, the RTH will still be able to backtrack over the top to get home or at least get the signal again.

IMHO, Edward's problem was not having input the right numbers.  122 meters is an alert to the DJI software to issue the warning.  It is artificial intelligence after all and takes actions in response to input.  If he sets the max altitude to 120 meters, the message will go away.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-2-13
Use props
DallasDroneGuy
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2-13 15:52
Aloha DDG,

One of the RTH options is to backtrack along the path that got you to the disconnect.  If used, this will return you into a location with communication between the Phantom and the RC without having to go over the tower.  (To me that is the more important question.)

Well, I flew downtown last weekend and the ceiling was set for me at 393 or 396 or something. Maybe I never tried to bump it up in the settings because I assumed it was a NFZ safety thing. Another thing that will help is I plan to take off from the roof of the building. That way the roof height is my "zero". I have had active track stop working when the drone goes into negative altitude, and I hope that tripod mode will still function properly even in negative altitude.
Thanks! Oh, and I will check out the different RTH options as well, thanks
2019-2-14
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DallasDroneGuy Posted at 2-14 07:23
Well, I flew downtown last weekend and the ceiling was set for me at 393 or 396 or something. Maybe I never tried to bump it up in the settings because I assumed it was a NFZ safety thing. Another thing that will help is I plan to take off from the roof of the building. That way the roof height is my "zero". I have had active track stop working when the drone goes into negative altitude, and I hope that tripod mode will still function properly even in negative altitude.
Thanks! Oh, and I will check out the different RTH options as well, thanks

Aloha DDG,

Be very careful when flying around buildings and especially taking off of buildings.  The concrete has rebar and metal will throw off the compass.  When we have a compass problem, one of the first questions we ask is if they took off of a driveway or building.  I do not know how far away the rebar has to be to not interfere but you should do a test at your proposed take-off location to see what the metal interference level is.  You might also be able to do a hand-launch or take off of a wood structure.

Yes, the MAX Altitude can be set to 500 meters.  That is 1640 feet.  As far as I can tell, Tripod should work at negative altitude.  When I use Tripod, most of the time it is at negative altitude.

Good luck!

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-2-14
Use props
DallasDroneGuy
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2-14 15:39
Aloha DDG,

Be very careful when flying around buildings and especially taking off of buildings.  The concrete has rebar and metal will throw off the compass.  When we have a compass problem, one of the first questions we ask is if they took off of a driveway or building.  I do not know how far away the rebar has to be to not interfere but you should do a test at your proposed take-off location to see what the metal interference level is.  You might also be able to do a hand-launch or take off of a wood structure.

Yes, I pretty much always hand launch and hand catch for that very reason.
2019-2-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules