Jittery video
1480 14 2018-11-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dumbthumbs
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7972 ft
United States

Jittery video from my P3S downloaded directly from the camera micro USB  port. I was panning from a stationary point. Any help will be  appreciated.

Sorry about the double post. It didn't show up in the Phantom thread immediately.
2018-11-24
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha DT,

The "Jittery" video is due to panning too fast for the framerate.  Using a minimum of 30 frames per second and slowing down your PAN (YAW movement) will usually reduce or get rid of that problem.  The human eye has a "flicker rate" of about 25 frames per second so using 30 or even 60 fps provides a "cushion" for the lateral movement in a PAN.  (For some reason, Europeans like the 24 fps setting and the jittery effect or maybe it forces them to PAN really slow.)  

Many drone videographers in the US use the 4K 30fps setting and slow down their PANs so their footage provides better flexibility in post.  (Using 60 fps will also help but requires more work in post to match smoothness with the slow motion effect.)  The smoother PANs are much easier on the viewing audience, especially us old guys.  I like to see the details of our high definition videos and some of these fast PANs can get down right irritating.  If the PAN is slow, the viewer can see the beautiful details as the camera rotates.

There are also a number of settings that help smooth out PANs, especially EXP.  PAN, and the flight equivalent YAW actions, probably have the most settings available in the DJI GO and DJI GO 4 apps.  Here is a link to an online manual by DJI Grace that really helps you go through the DJI GO 4 app on your computer so you are not draining your batteries;

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=118397

You can usually find it in the column to the right of the Phantom option of the Forum.  Grace used the Mavic platform for the manual but there is enough similarity that it is useful for all DJI product users.

Since you are a pilot, you can easily think about many of these settings as something related to trim on a plane, but a lot of them are more of an algorithm between input and output on the stick.  Computer gamers have a lot of that with their joysticks and gamepads, so if you also play computer games, these settings, especially EXP, are a slam dunk.

Do be aware that you will want to do one setting at a time (start with EXP) to see if the effect is what you are looking for.  That way if you screw something up (like we all do), it is easier to fix.  If you find a setting that really works, you might want to write down a note or list of settings that work so if you should have to do a reset of default settings, it is easier to get back the settings that work.  You will eventually find that what works for you is probably a specific combination of settings.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-11-24
Use props
P3KoYoT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1846667 ft
Poland

Hi Dumbthumbs ,
The issues mentioned by Cetacean are correct.
From my side as owner of P3 Standard I can say that these kind of Jitter I getting really often when I export my video with  data transfer less than 16Mb/s at FHD resolution and 30fps.
The second thing is the strenght of your PC, the video recorded from DJI camcoders PH3/4 are really often got problems with fluent preview or editing.
For sure the YAW movement need some tweaks in your DJI Go app, Make it  slowes as possible and extent your RC sticks to increase accuracy.
2018-11-24
Use props
Dumbthumbs
lvl.3
United States

Cetacean Posted at 11-24 10:57
Aloha DT,

The "Jittery" video is due to panning too fast for the framerate.  Using a minimum of 30 frames per second and slowing down your PAN (YAW movement) will usually reduce or get rid of that problem.  The human eye has a "flicker rate" of about 25 frames per second so using 30 or even 60 fps provides a "cushion" for the lateral movement in a PAN.  (For some reason, Europeans like the 24 fps setting and the jittery effect or maybe it forces them to PAN really slow.)  

Aloha, my friend. Thanks for the rundown on pan speed and camera settings. I'll go to the higher frame rate and decrease the pan speed. I've also been advised to use a ND filter.
2018-11-24
Use props
Dumbthumbs
lvl.3
United States

P3KoYoT Posted at 11-24 12:11
Hi Dumbthumbs ,
The issues mentioned by Cetacean are correct.
From my side as owner of P3 Standard I can say that these kind of Jitter I getting really often when I export my video with  data transfer less than 16Mb/s at FHD resolution and 30fps.

Thanks, P3KoYoT. Already extended the sticks. I'm waiting for the wind to die down so I can try the same shot with some different settings. Like our Hawaiian friend said, try one tweak at a time to see what works. Developing a 'settings card' might not be a bad idea.
2018-11-24
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Dumbthumbs Posted at 11-24 12:52
Aloha, my friend. Thanks for the rundown on pan speed and camera settings. I'll go to the higher frame rate and decrease the pan speed. I've also been advised to use a ND filter.

Aloha DT,

Yes, I keep forgetting about the ND filter, but it is more technique and settings.  Filter is icing.  I bought ND4 filters for my P3P and P4P and just leave them on.  But my P4 makes very smooth PANs without the filter.  Technique.

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-11-24
Use props
TheLazyC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1357356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 11-24 10:57
Aloha DT,

Thanks for that info. I just posted that question under my Yorktown Beach post. It was a panning clip that was shot at 60fps but saved at 23.98fps, all the other clips in that video was shot the same way but slowed down to 50%
2018-11-24
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

TheLazyC Posted at 11-24 18:35
Thanks for that info. I just posted that question under my Yorktown Beach post. It was a panning clip that was shot at 60fps but saved at 23.98fps, all the other clips in that video was shot the same way but slowed down to 50%

Aloha Ken,

Mahalo for the help!  There is an old adage, "Let the subject be the authority."  The flicker rate for our eyes is 25 fps.  Any movement at 24 fps will be jerky.  Any framerate 30fps or above will add a cushion for smoothness.

Fortunately, you added the rendering framerate.  Rendering is as important as initial recording, the frame rate has to be over 25 fps, preferable well over, like 30 fps, to make the final product smooth.

Mahalo again for the help!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-11-24
Use props
Dumbthumbs
lvl.3
United States

Cetacean Posted at 11-24 21:06
Aloha Ken,

Mahalo for the help!  There is an old adage, "Let the subject be the authority."  The flicker rate for our eyes is 25 fps.  Any movement at 24 fps will be jerky.  Any framerate 30fps or above will add a cushion for smoothness.

Okay, Cetacean, I think I'm getting it. The fewer shutter actuations per second at a given yaw rate yields a 'choppier' appearance. So, the higher frame rate the smoother the video will appear.
I'm a little slow to catch on.
2018-11-25
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Dumbthumbs Posted at 11-25 05:39
Okay, Cetacean, I think I'm getting it. The fewer shutter actuations per second at a given yaw rate yields a 'choppier' appearance. So, the higher frame rate the smoother the video will appear.
I'm a little slow to catch on.

Aloha DT,

BTW, the "p" after a resolution, like 1080p or 720p, means that the frames are not blurred to avoid a choppy presentation.  So combining that with your observation can explain why you can pull any frame from a 1080p or 720p video and get a clean (generally anyway) image (saved as a .jpg) for use as a photo.  I shoot with p resolutions so I can pull any frame from a whole flight to show a still rather than take a photo.  I save photos for PANOs or RAW or other special photographic techniques.

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-11-25
Use props
Dumbthumbs
lvl.3
United States

Cetacean Posted at 11-25 13:56
Aloha DT,

BTW, the "p" after a resolution, like 1080p or 720p, means that the frames are not blurred to avoid a choppy presentation.  So combining that with your observation can explain why you can pull any frame from a 1080p or 720p video and get a clean (generally anyway) image (saved as a .jpg) for use as a photo.  I shoot with p resolutions so I can pull any frame from a whole flight to show a still rather than take a photo.  I save photos for PANOs or RAW or other special photographic techniques.

Yes. There's been a long debate about the advantage of progressive as opposed to interlaced scan. Progressive scan starts on one side of the imager and finishing a line, goes back to the beginning and starts the next line. Interlaced scanning starts at one side of the imager and finishing that line, starts the scan of the next line on the return. Some say interlaced like 1080i is superior to 1080p for recording motion-rich content like a sporting event. 4K has us in a whole new arena. I think the only thing keeping us from recording in 12 or even 56k is the expense of commercial studio upgrades. Consumer hardware is relatively cheap by comparison. I have a hand held handicam that records in AVCHD*  at near broadcast quality.
It cost me less than $500.

*Advanced Video Codec High Definition developed by Sony and Panasonic
2018-11-25
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Dumbthumbs Posted at 11-25 14:16
Yes. There's been a long debate about the advantage of progressive as opposed to interlaced scan. Progressive scan starts on one side of the imager and finishing a line, goes back to the beginning and starts the next line. Interlaced scanning starts at one side of the imager and finishing that line, starts the scan of the next line on the return. Some say interlaced like 1080i is superior to 1080p for recording motion-rich content like a sporting event. 4K has us in a whole new arena. I think the only thing keeping us from recording in 12 or even 56k is the expense of commercial studio upgrades. Consumer hardware is relatively cheap by comparison. I have a hand held handicam that records in AVCHD*  at near broadcast quality.
It cost me less than $500.

Aloha DT,

It sure looks like you are going to have a great time with Geebax on this Forum.  Geebax spent decades in broadcast television and is a great resource.  He is in Australia.  We are such an International Forum!

Mahalo for the concise information on interlaced and progressive video.  Many on the Forum will read this and learn much from it.  It is what we do.  Personally, I am an information sponge.

Mahalo again!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-11-25
Use props
Dumbthumbs
lvl.3
United States

Cetacean Posted at 11-25 14:52
Aloha DT,

It sure looks like you are going to have a great time with Geebax on this Forum.  Geebax spent decades in broadcast television and is a great resource.  He is in Australia.  We are such an International Forum!

I'm looking forward to more learning experiences myself. I just pulled the trigger on a P3S 4k minutes ago. I want the 4k imager, I just don't want a bird with a transponder.
2018-11-25
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Dumbthumbs Posted at 11-25 14:58
I'm looking forward to more learning experiences myself. I just pulled the trigger on a P3S 4k minutes ago. I want the 4k imager, I just don't want a bird with a transponder.

'I just don't want a bird with a transponder.'

That seems an odd statement? What are you saying?
2018-11-25
Use props
Dumbthumbs
lvl.3
United States

Geebax Posted at 11-25 17:07
'I just don't want a bird with a transponder.'

That seems an odd statement? What are you saying?

You're right. What was I thinking.
2018-11-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules