Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Cannot take off, now a new no fly zone
123Next >
17366 90 2018-11-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ammo1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 328333 ft
United States

After all of the new updates I now can no longer take off in my yard for the first time in three years of owning DJI products.  I don't care about flying from my yard other than I always like to test firmware updates by doing a check flight around my yard and running my batteries down to a storage level.  I'm about two miles from a airport but now looking at the no fly zone it looks like the entire city now is almost locked out now.  Why can't we have limited height and distance flight mode for these areas.  I would be happy 60 feet up and 100 feet out within this area.  

2018-11-24
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU!
First Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Same. And the Warning Zones take up most map areas now. This used to be ignorable, but now the map is useless with the yellow tint over the whole thing. Not much is left to the discretion of all of us idiots, I guess.
2018-11-24
Use props
Ammo1
lvl.3
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU! Posted at 11-24 12:14
Same. And the Warning Zones take up most map areas now. This used to be ignorable, but now the map is useless with the yellow tint over the whole thing. Not much is left to the discretion of all of us idiots, I guess.

Yep, I'm not very happy about it but I guess I'll just  have to live with it.
2018-11-24
Use props
smirnoff9969
First Officer
Flight distance : 582776 ft
Croatia

I don`t belive that small object such as drone (amateur like Air,pro,phantom) is more dangerous than a birds...
2018-11-24
Use props
HedsIc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 478757 ft
United States

Same here. Cant fly anywhere but the middle of no-where here. Used to go up in my yard and just zip around when I got bored but csnt even do that anymore and I'm no-where even near any airports or anything
2018-11-24
Use props
Kingram
First Officer
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

And that is why I always hit Ignore for that Geo update that pops up on my phone.
2018-11-24
Use props
ff22
Captain
United States

Kingram Posted at 11-24 15:09
And that is why I always hit Ignore for that Geo update that pops up on my phone.

Did the same yesterday - ignore.  I really don't care if there's a Husky football game 3 miles from my home.
2018-11-24
Use props
Ammo1
lvl.3
United States

ff22 Posted at 11-24 15:47
Did the same yesterday - ignore.  I really don't care if there's a Husky football game 3 miles from my home.

I used  to ignore but now I don't have that choice.  I'm  now locked out with no options as of today.  First time trying the new firmware plus the geo updates that's forced on us.   
2018-11-24
Use props
fans9665e8fb
lvl.1
United States

Now I’m scared to do an update...  I’m in the middle of no where but still in a warning area cuz of private airfield.  One dirt strip counts I guess.
2018-11-24
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Same thing happened to me in two different locations. NFZ ! Drove to a different location was fine.
2018-11-24
Use props
Ammo1
lvl.3
United States

fans9665e8fb Posted at 11-24 16:54
Now I’m scared to do an update...  I’m in the middle of no where but still in a warning area cuz of private airfield.  One dirt strip counts I guess.

You should be alright.  I have a pretty good size city airport that's causing my issues.  
2018-11-24
Use props
DroneDownunder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 32648 ft
Australia

Can't one roll back these No-Fly database updates ?

I thought it was possible, like firmware updates.

2018-11-24
Use props
TX99517
Second Officer
Flight distance : 274649 ft
  • >>>
United States

Glad to see I’m not the only one experiencing this. My house is now a NFZ and I’m miles from the international airport. I wasble to apply for an exception which allowed me to go up 200ft and get some pictures.  
2018-11-24
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Why can't we have limited height and distance flight mode for these areas.  I would be happy 60 feet up and 100 feet out within this area.

Without a solid explanation from the Powers that Be.  All we can do is theorize and guess as to the Why.

Theory / guess is Powers that Be are worried a drone might go Rogue.   Possibly putting drone in to Glide Path of landing aircraft or takeoff Path of prop planes (slower climb rate).  Whereas, if drone were 5-miles away from airport, less likely plane is flying at a lower altitude.  Glide Path at 1-nautical mile out, plane would be around 320-feet up.  General rule of thumb is 300-feet higher for every nautical mile out.  5-nm out approx plane 1,500 feet up.

And the chances of drone and plane intersecting are far less due increased size of airspace.  Using 3D airspace (dome over flight area), Drone at 0.25 miles vs. 5.0 miles from airport would be 400 times** more likely to intersect with a plane.

**UPDATE: Using different online Sphere Voume Calculator: 8,000 times.

2018-11-24
Use props
M2Wair
Captain
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Get into your car and drive to a location you are permitted to fly in, or is that too difficult. NFZ have been implemented for reasons explained above. Breaking limits will only encourage far more restrictive legislation to prevent or restrict flying in future.
2018-11-25
Use props
rm708410
lvl.4
United States

I am also annoyed by the warning zones covering the map. I hope that is not intended and gets fixed. It does limit the functionality of the map.

The new zones are explained pretty well on the FlySafe page, so if you think there is a real error in an area you fly, make sure to report it and maybe it'll get fixed.

I don't think the zones are too restrictive. In my area only major airports have reasonable authorization zones. The most extended height-restricted area off the runways are 400 ft altitude and that is the legal US max anyway.

Fly safe everyone! We're all in this together.
2018-11-25
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I’m still on the original dji go 4 app that was first updated for the mavic 2 and the same firmware that the mavic 2 came with and whenever the message comes up to “update database “ I click ignore and all is well. When you get screwed by “updates” enough times you stop updating.....
2018-11-25
Use props
forager3215
Second Officer
Flight distance : 230951 ft
United States

Ok you can't fly in parks you cant fly in cities and you can't fly in your own yard so we drive out to the middle of no where to knock on someones house to say hey can i fly on your property  or hey lets park on side of road and fly there to take pictures of a tree or grass hmm. Seems like there slowly killing the consumer drone buisness off.
2018-11-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Ammo1. Thank you for raising this concern with us today. To help you further with this issue please send an email at flysafe@dji.com for further help and clarification. Thank you for your support. Have a safe and happy flying always.
2018-11-25
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU!
First Officer
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 11-24 20:17
Why can't we have limited height and distance flight mode for these areas.  I would be happy 60 feet up and 100 feet out within this area.

Without a solid explanation from the Powers that Be.  All we can do is theorize and guess as to the Why.

Those are the most BS statements I’ve seen yet on this forum. AND that includes the canned Mod responses.
2018-11-25
Use props
Dthawk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5493514 ft
  • >>>
United States

Same here in DFW area. I live in Plano and I have experienced NFZ everywhere now. Ridiculous. I guess the best place to fly your drone is in Bum F*** Egypt.
2018-11-25
Use props
Sundance Kid
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1207 ft
United States

Dthawk Posted at 11-25 09:15
Same here in DFW area. I live in Plano and I have experienced NFZ everywhere now. Ridiculous. I guess the best place to fly your drone is in Bum F*** Egypt.

Freakin Hospital Annex with a little used heliport now  requires me to "authorize" every 24 hours just to start the motors inside my house!
DJI - YOU need to re-evaluate this practice. I think you've gone too far now!
2018-11-25
Use props
Dthawk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5493514 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sundance Kid Posted at 11-25 10:02
Freakin Hospital Annex with a little used heliport now  requires me to "authorize" every 24 hours just to start the motors inside my house!
DJI - YOU need to re-evaluate this practice. I think you've gone too far now!

I agree.  This will eventually affect Drone Sales in the negative way. When you cant fly any where except in a corn field in the desert.  Why even bother getting a drone.  It will hurt them in the Long Run.  

Wake Up DJI  ! ! !  and get smart!
2018-11-25
Use props
Uax4It
lvl.2
United States

Same here just updated cant fly anymore the new FAA Geo Zones have ruined the hobby thank god i haven't purchased the newer models
2018-11-25
Use props
Uax4It
lvl.2
United States

North Idaho Guy Posted at 11-25 10:55
So what this implies is that DJI is using their "NEW" added features/firmware updates to ALSO implement the some furthering restrictions? A mask if you will?  Hmmmm

I live east New Jersey i cant fly anywhere now even driven 20 miles still NFZ our Drones are now rendered useless cant even start the motors this has to be the new Geofencing the FAA passed with congress and senate
2018-11-25
Use props
North Idaho Guy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2310082 ft
  • >>>
United States

@Ammo1

"After all of the new updates I now can no longer take off in my yard for the first time in three years of owning DJI products."

"First time trying the new firmware plus the geo updates that's forced on us."

So what this implies is that DJI is using their "NEW" added features/firmware updates to ALSO implement the/some furthering restrictions? A mask if you will?  

Hmmmm.......When you updated to this latest FW, did you also allow "update to NFZ database"?  You said "plus the geo updates" This means you allowed both?

Or was this update somehow a "all in one" FW update that just happen to also include these new restrictions of not being able to fly where you could just before you updated?  
2018-11-25
Use props
River One
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7691722 ft
  • >>>
United States

this major expansion of the NFZ makes all four of my birds worthless. DJI you really overdid it this time. Please show us all the courtesy of letting us know these NFZ are now set in stone or are you intending to make any adjustments made in this weeks update. We deserved advance notice, you gave none and now we deserve a direct and timely answer please.
2018-11-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU! Posted at 11-25 08:47
Those are the most BS statements I’ve seen yet on this forum. AND that includes the canned Mod responses.

Okay you say my statements (noted as theories & guesses as to why) are B.S.  
How about pointing out what is wrong with theories & guesses I posted?
How about posting what you believe is the Why(s)?

2018-11-25
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU!
First Officer
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-25 08:10
Hello and good day Ammo1. Thank you for raising this concern with us today. To help you further with this issue please send an email at  for further help and clarification. Thank you for your support. Have a safe and happy flying always.

Emailed. Reply says that THEY will now forward the ability to ignore warning zones to the app people.
2018-11-25
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU!
First Officer
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 11-25 16:50
Okay you say my statements (noted as theories & guesses as to why) are B.S.  
How about pointing out what is wrong with theories & guesses I posted?
How about posting what you believe is the Why(s)?

Sorry, the bit starting with Glide path. Just omit from there on because that’s not how an IFR or VFR approach is made. I reread what I put and it sounds harsh, but was the best way to convey it. This is a user to user forum, so I don’t want to offend you; we’re all friends here.  

The why is because I’m a retired Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) with 2 Aviation degrees. I’ve flown ‘a few’ approaches, so your altitudes and flight procedures in the above flight environment are inaccurate even if it is a student pilot.
2018-11-25
Use props
Uax4It
lvl.2
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU! Posted at 11-25 17:24
Emailed. Reply says that THEY will now forward the ability to ignore warning zones to the app people.

So now we wait i don't think much will be done these new FAA Rules grounded most of the hobbyist
2018-11-25
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is why nothing before my Mavic 2 Pro will ever be updated.  I have no problem with the envelope & glide paths around airports.  Getting a chuckle out of some of the small NFZs around the city.  A few churches & the old William Donald Schaffer halfway house have been marked as full-time NFZs!  At least the blue areas are unlockable.

Screenshot_20181125-215215.png
2018-11-25
Use props
Kingram
First Officer
United States

When you updated to this latest FW 4.34 did you also allow "update to NFZ database"?  You said "plus the geo updates" This means you allowed both?

Or was this update somehow a "all in one" FW update that just happen to also include these new restrictions of not being able to fly where you could just before you updated?
For you who cant take off how close are you to a major airport ?
2018-11-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU! Posted at 11-25 17:33
Sorry, the bit starting with Glide path. Just omit from there on because that’s not how an IFR or VFR approach is made. I reread what I put and it sounds harsh, but was the best way to convey it. This is a user to user forum, so I don’t want to offend you; we’re all friends here.  

The why is because I’m a retired Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) with 2 Aviation degrees. I’ve flown ‘a few’ approaches, so your altitudes and flight procedures in the above flight environment are inaccurate even if it is a student pilot.

From everything I could find, angle is 3.0 (or 3.2) degrees.  Altitudes I posted came from experienced pilots, and from several websites.

Can you give us an idea as to general altitude of planes for 5, 3, & 1 nautical miles out?
2018-11-25
Use props
Eidozz
lvl.1

United States

Did you downloaded the update separately?
2018-11-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU! Posted at 11-25 17:33

The why is because I’m a retired Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) with 2 Aviation degrees.

The why was a reference to OP's question of: "Why can't we have limited height and distance flight mode for these areas."

As in Why did Powers that Be implement no-flight when OP is two miles from airport.
2018-11-25
Use props
Kingram
First Officer
United States

Which areas of this map won't let you start your motors ? I'm right next to the  bow tie runway so I assume I'm ok
I updated the aircraft yesterday but not the Go app and did a test flight in the back yard and I was able to fly , now if I update the app will the new Geo fencing be enabled ? I have always hit ignore for the geo update before the new update and wonder if I will still have that option or will that go in to effect when the Go 4 app updates ?
Screenshot_20181125-205328.png
2018-11-25
Use props
Kingram
First Officer
United States

The grey areas are altitude zones , anyone know what altitude we are restricted to ?
2018-11-25
Use props
bbloomquist
Second Officer
Flight distance : 878852 ft
United States

I believe it's spelled out here

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=170460
2018-11-25
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU!
First Officer
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 11-25 19:20
The why is because I’m a retired Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) with 2 Aviation degrees.

The why was a reference to OP's question of: "Why can't we have limited height and distance flight mode for these areas."

I’m thinking more big airplanes. Light aircraft are usually higher during VFR approaches because it is safer. Since we don’t fly our non-all-weather drones in IFR conditions, going by approach plates would be highly inaccurate.

Best rule of thumb is absolutely stay out of runway heading at all times. Even airplanes do this, so why not drones. Most uncontrolled fields aren’t going to have Cessnas buzzing trees 300 feet up a mile out. There’s less risk keeping a little altitude to spare. Everything is always built so close to airports, most pilots sort of “slam dunk” it in. Anytime you fly low in a plane, you’re risking a lot more.

What if an airport has a hill on the approach to one of the runways? If you’re flying your drone 100 feet up, that may result in less than 100 feet of separation from aircraft on a nice day.
Unsure of the exact statistics, but I believe it is 85% of aircraft accidents & incidents happen within 5 miles of the airport. I live by a farm that DJI says is an airport. Great...
2018-11-25
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules