Anyone is using RF-v16 gps tracker with Mavic Air?
1250 19 2018-11-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TechVoyager
lvl.4
Flight distance : 170030 ft
India

Hello friends,
Just wanted to know if any of you guys are using any gps tracker with Mavic Air? If yes, then can you please share your thoughts, feedback, pics and videos with us.
Also, i am more interested to know if anyone is using RF-v16 gps tracker or Loc8tor? I am more interested in these 2 products.. If yes, then please share some pics how and where you fixed these trackers exactly on the mavic air?
NOTE- Not interested in Trackimo and Marco polo, due to its cost and subscription charges.
Thanks,
Dinesh Kumar
2018-11-25
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

I’m using tk 102 and no issues whatsoever, it’s working perfectly.

Flysafely
Alex
2018-11-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Dinesh Kumar . Thank you for the inquiry. Just a reminder that we do not recommend using 3rd party devices for DJI Drone. 3rd party devices might affect the drone or its component and can also affect the performance of the drone when in use. Thank you.
2018-11-25
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

If you fly with VLOS you don't need those. You're ready to lose another one aren't you lol
2018-11-25
Use props
TechVoyager
lvl.4
India

Alex B. Posted at 11-25 05:56
I’m using tk 102 and no issues whatsoever, it’s working perfectly.

Flysafely

Can you please post some pictures, how and where you fixed it. Tk-102 is bigger in size than rf-v16.. What is the battery backup? Any reviews?
2018-11-25
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bit too risk for me
2018-11-25
Use props
TechVoyager
lvl.4
India

rolling56 Posted at 11-25 07:31
If you fly with VLOS you don't need those. You're ready to lose another one aren't you lol

I agree with your justification.. But recently i lost my drone in a scenario where my drone was in VLOS but got drifted away due to high speed winds. And in the process of retrieving it, the drone battery died mid air and crashed somewhere. As the last known gps location was mid air, so it was very difficult to locate the exact location. Anyways it was stolen by somebody the moment it crash landed.. That's another story. So now with my 2nd drone, i dont want to take that risk againand want to secure it in whatever way possible. Because when i was searching my first drone, i really felt the need of additional gps device which could constantly send gps coordinates for longer period of time, for quick and precise tracking. That's the reason i am asking for suggestions here.
2018-11-25
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer

Spain

TechVoyager Posted at 11-25 08:22
I agree with your justification.. But recently i lost my drone in a scenario where my drone was in VLOS but got drifted away due to high speed winds. And in the process of retrieving it, the drone battery died mid air and crashed somewhere. As the last known gps location was mid air, so it was very difficult to locate the exact location. Anyways it was stolen by somebody the moment it crash landed.. That's another story. So now with my 2nd drone, i dont want to take that risk againand want to secure it in whatever way possible. Because when i was searching my first drone, i really felt the need of additional gps device which could constantly send gps coordinates for longer period of time, for quick and precise tracking. That's the reason i am asking for suggestions here.

I agree with you 100%!!! No matter what DJI says about this matter. I also lost my first spark, it was vlos but got drifted away by very strong winds. We couldn’t find it either later on, we were searching for it like 5 times, 5-8 persons, no luck, encountered some angry snakes, but that’s about it. DJI offered me only 15 % discount on the new one.
Anyway I’m not taking the chance again, well at least not until DJI makes a proper functioning all the time gps, no matter connected to remote or not. There are maaany option available for them to be able to do that. Cmon DJI you can do it!
Here is the pic, btw I don’t think its really bigger than rf-v16

It’s attached to the bottom with Velcro.
It works perfectly, no issues whatsoever, no interference, nothing.
The flight time has stayed the same 12/13 minutes.
I also have the Mavic Pro.
By the way, which new DJI drone did you get???

Flysafely and enjoy
Alex
2018-11-25
Use props
TechVoyager
lvl.4
India

Alex B. Posted at 11-25 14:51
I agree with you 100%!!! No matter what DJI says about this matter. I also lost my first spark, it was vlos but got drifted away by very strong winds. We couldn’t find it either later on, we were searching for it like 5 times, 5-8 persons, no luck, encountered some angry snakes, but that’s about it. DJI offered me only 15 % discount on the new one.
Anyway I’m not taking the chance again, well at least not until DJI makes a proper functioning all the time gps, no matter connected to remote or not. There are maaany option available for them to be able to do that. Cmon DJI you can do it!

I lost mavic air. That's replaced by dji with mavic air unit only, as you said i also got 15% discount..
2018-11-25
Use props
TechVoyager
lvl.4
India

Alex B. Posted at 11-25 14:51

What's the battery backup you're getting from Tk-102? I read some bad reviews about it that the location is not perfect and the battery dies soon and also its not having gps and it only works on cell tower triangulation with gsm or gprs.
2018-11-25
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer

Spain

TechVoyager Posted at 11-25 21:30
What's the battery backup you're getting from Tk-102? I read some bad reviews about it that the location is not perfect and the battery dies soon and also its not having gps and it only works on cell tower triangulation with gsm or gprs.

The battery part is true. It drains pretty quickly. But enough for 1 day anyway
I just make sure that the battery is fully charged before I attach it to the drone and that’s all.
The location is spot on, 2 meters away max. But it did take a bit of time to adjust itself and display the correct location, after that it works perfectly.

So you used the 15% discount on the new Mavic Air then, am I right?

Flysafely and enjoy
Alex
2018-11-25
Use props
TechVoyager
lvl.4
India

Alex B. Posted at 11-25 23:34
The battery part is true. It drains pretty quickly. But enough for 1 day anyway
I just make sure that the battery is fully charged before I attach it to the drone and that’s all.
The location is spot on, 2 meters away max. But it did take a bit of time to adjust itself and display the correct location, after that it works perfectly.

yes, i used that 15% discount to get the single mavic air drone unit. because i already had the spare parts from fly more combo. So there is no point in getting a new drone with additional remote and other accessories. The drone is delivered, waiting for the battery package to get delivered.
Any suggestions for loc8tor tracking device. it looks good and slim and light weight too. We an use DJI go app to reach the possible location using find my drone and from there we can use the loc8tor to track the exact location of the drone as its range is around 100 meters +
Additionally the battery backup is very good. What do you think?
2018-11-25
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2132792 ft
South Africa

Best solution is to avoid flying in high wind.  It happened to me once though I did not lose my craft (MA) and now I just make sure not to fly in marginal circumstances. With wind you will also not get good video or single shots so why do it?
2018-11-26
Use props
Tomcatuk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28743 ft
United Kingdom

TechVoyager Posted at 11-25 08:22

It was stolen as soon as it landed??? you have to tell us more...
2018-11-26
Use props
TechVoyager
lvl.4
India

Tomcatuk Posted at 11-26 04:03
It was stolen as soon as it landed??? you have to tell us more...

Checkout my previous post for details
https://forum.dji.com/thread-171926-1-1.html

In the end of the thread i have posted the Update about it.
2018-11-26
Use props
Tomcatuk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28743 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks, such a shame that somebody would do that but that's life I suppose hopefully your new drone will be ok... good luck
2018-11-26
Use props
lordgarth
lvl.3
Flight distance : 9642 ft
United States

rolling56 Posted at 11-25 07:31
If you fly with VLOS you don't need those. You're ready to lose another one aren't you lol

LOL.  I see a lot of posts like this and figure the subject of these messages should be "I need a new way to loose my drone".  Keep reading posts and seeing videos of people doing flights that are just asking for it.  Distance "tests", flying at night, flying through trees, flying over water or worse over water in tight spaces.  Not checking weather conditions.  Lots of apps out there that will give you wind info and safe to fly.  Just seems like a lot of people WANT to loose their drones.
2018-11-26
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer

Spain

TechVoyager Posted at 11-25 23:45
yes, i used that 15% discount to get the single mavic air drone unit. because i already had the spare parts from fly more combo. So there is no point in getting a new drone with additional remote and other accessories. The drone is delivered, waiting for the battery package to get delivered.
Any suggestions for loc8tor tracking device. it looks good and slim and light weight too. We an use DJI go app to reach the possible location using find my drone and from there we can use the loc8tor to track the exact location of the drone as its range is around 100 meters +
Additionally the battery backup is very good. What do you think?

Well, 100 meters is way too short I think.
Because the drone can disconnect from the remote and get carried away by much much further than 100 meters, like happened in my case
So personally I think that gsm gps locators are the wAy to go, unlimited range, where there’s gsm signal, and that’s pretty much everywhere these days

Flysafely
Alex
2018-11-26
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer

Spain

HendrikJB Posted at 11-26 00:48
Best solution is to avoid flying in high wind.  It happened to me once though I did not lose my craft (MA) and now I just make sure not to fly in marginal circumstances. With wind you will also not get good video or single shots so why do it?

The wind can sometimes also change very rapidly.

Flysafely
Ale
2018-11-26
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2132792 ft
South Africa

Alex B. Posted at 11-26 11:14
The wind can sometimes also change very rapidly.

Flysafely

On one occasion the wind was so strong that it pushed the MA backwards. I then just went lower and the wind was still strong but at least I could fly up against the wind.
2018-11-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules