Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Climbing the colossal Dent du Géant in the French Alps
2375 19 2018-11-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cragcloud
Captain
Flight distance : 175604 ft
Denmark

Hi guys!

Another alpine climbing video with the magnificent Dent du Géant.

Drone footage combined with other cameras.

Feedback is very welcome
2018-11-26
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

What a great experience, truly breathtaking! Thank you for sharing Cragcloud! Good job!
2018-11-26
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Nice video, great drone footage
2018-11-26
Use props
Mavic_Jay
Captain
Flight distance : 2113419 ft
United Kingdom

I'm booked up to return to Morzine & Les Gets in April, really can't wait to get some footage from the mountains
I won't be climbing thou think i'll stick to the chair lifts, great work
2018-11-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Amazing video
2018-11-26
Use props
Charissa
Captain
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

You are one brave man. I got scared of the heights just watching the video. Awesome footage.
2018-11-26
Use props
Thriller
First Officer
Flight distance : 374337 ft
Italy

What a beautiful mountain.. The video is very cool and just a little scary if you have fear of heights...
Good job and thanks for sharing.
2018-11-26
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Excellent footage
2018-11-26
Use props
Sky Carrier
Captain
Flight distance : 590102 ft
Netherlands

Very nice to share this with us. Much appreciated
2018-11-26
Use props
Cragcloud
Captain
Denmark

Thanks!

It wasn’t actually that scary to do the climb. What scared me the most was to loose the drone, haha!
2018-11-26
Use props
HendrikJB
Captain
Flight distance : 2132792 ft
South Africa

Beautiful.

The rocks are augen-gneiss
2018-11-27
Use props
johnsr
Captain
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

Your video is interesting and quite clear about the route (though personally I was never a fixed rope guy). Since you asked about other routes in that region, may I suggest the full Rochefort ridge traverse. Typically people only do the first part, but in fact there is quite an adventure for altitude fit mountaineers, extending the traverse over the Aiguille and Dome de Rochefort and beyond to the Calotte de Rochefort. Some mixed ice and rock accesses the Col des Grandes Jorasses. The descent from there down the Mount Mallet glacier to the Leschaux hut is absolutely fabulous (you pass under the north face routes of the Grandes Jorasses). For me, the most magical parts of this descent are the views of the Périades (see my photo). This would be quite a spot to film…

That brings me to another point. I was under the impression that the entire Mont Blanc Massif is a NO FLY zone for hobby drones. However, there is some confusion about this from an earlier restriction concerning zone LFR-30B which was forbidden only between July 1st and August 31st. Do you have any more recent information?

Périades

Périades

2018-11-27
Use props
B1houdini
Captain
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Fantastic footage,
The views looked spectacular.
2018-11-27
Use props
Cragcloud
Captain
Denmark

johnsr Posted at 11-27 09:43
Your video is interesting and quite clear about the route (though personally I was never a fixed rope guy). Since you asked about other routes in that region, may I suggest the full Rochefort ridge traverse. Typically people only do the first part, but in fact there is quite an adventure for altitude fit mountaineers, extending the traverse over the Aiguille and Dome de Rochefort and beyond to the Calotte de Rochefort. Some mixed ice and rock accesses the Col des Grandes Jorasses. The descent from there down the Mount Mallet glacier to the Leschaux hut is absolutely fabulous (you pass under the north face routes of the Grandes Jorasses). For me, the most magical parts of this descent are the views of the Périades (see my photo). This would be quite a spot to film…

That brings me to another point. I was under the impression that the entire Mont Blanc Massif is a NO FLY zone for hobby drones. However, there is some confusion about this from an earlier restriction concerning zone LFR-30B which was forbidden only between July 1st and August 31st. Do you have any more recent information?
[Image]

Actually, I couldn’t find anything when researching for the trip. But let me investigate again.

Thanks fir the tips! The Rochefort Ridge was also on the list but we didn’t have time
2018-11-28
Use props
johnsr
Captain
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

Cragcloud Posted at 11-28 08:05
Actually, I couldn’t find anything when researching for the trip. But let me investigate again.

Thanks fir the tips! The Rochefort Ridge was also on the list but we didn’t have time

Usually when I go into a mountain area to fly I go to the gendarmerie to ask about flight restrictions. PGHM for Chamonix in this case. Since these guys are doing all the rescue work with the helicopter they know what the problems are. They are also aware of other flight activities in the region and can give helpful info.

Concerning the Rochefort Ridge, if you plan on doing that later, just keep in mind that it's a long day at altitude so both of you need to be altitude fit. The full traverse is rarely done so you might not find tracks, and may need a short rappel to get down to the Col des Jorasses. The Mont Mallet Glacier is very crevassed (cool photos but take care). There is a very small unguarded hut (3 people) in the Périades ().
Have fun & good flying!

2018-11-29
Use props
fans31b12177
lvl.1
Flight distance : 147900 ft
Malaysia

Really nice mix of drone with other cameras. Transitions were nice too! Premiere Pro?
2018-11-29
Use props
fans31b12177
lvl.1
Malaysia

Really nice mix of drone with other cameras. Transitions were nice too! Premiere Pro?
2018-11-29
Use props
fans31b12177
lvl.1
Malaysia

2018-11-29
Use props
Cragcloud
Captain
Denmark

fans31b12177 Posted at 11-29 01:22

Thanks
2018-11-29
Use props
Cragcloud
Captain
Denmark

johnsr Posted at 11-29 00:26
Usually when I go into a mountain area to fly I go to the gendarmerie to ask about flight restrictions. PGHM for Chamonix in this case. Since these guys are doing all the rescue work with the helicopter they know what the problems are. They are also aware of other flight activities in the region and can give helpful info.

Concerning the Rochefort Ridge, if you plan on doing that later, just keep in mind that it's a long day at altitude so both of you need to be altitude fit. The full traverse is rarely done so you might not find tracks, and may need a short rappel to get down to the Col des Jorasses. The Mont Mallet Glacier is very crevassed (cool photos but take care). There is a very small unguarded hut (3 people) in the Périades (Les Périades hut - YouTube).

Really Nice video too!
2018-12-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules