Drone-Controller-Phone Connectivity
685 4 2018-11-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jndpj123
lvl.1

United States

hello. i'm new to drones and trying to understand how the three components of flying p3s are working together.  
i have been under the assumption that the drone itself is the originator and broadcaster of the 'network' (ssid).  so when i connect my mobile device to the Phantom network, i am making a wifi connection between the drone & phone on the 2.4ghz frequency. this carries, primarily, the fpv video feed.  

the controller connects to the drone on the 5.8ghz frequency.  this is like a more traditional RC connection and carries, primarily, the stick input info.  you can fly the drone with the controller and no phone, but not viceversa.

so my question...what about the above assumptions, if anything, is incorrect?

so my real question, as i think i have my basic understanding right....why is there a 2.4ghz antenna in the controller?  if my assumptions were correct, it wouldn't be there.  but it is, so there has to be a reason.  i'm just unclear on what that reason is.  does the controller act as a repeater?  is the phone connecting to the controller and not the drone?

i understand the rules of the forum.  i understand there cant be endorsement/advice/condoning of aftermarket products.  obviously what i'm driving at here is range.  but i'm not violating the rules because i dont see how these range extenders on ebay & amazon are doing anything at all (with regard to fpv).  its the PHONE that needs to be upgraded. the phone with the best, most powerful wifi reception should yeild the best range capabilty.

i know there are rhetorical questions, but is there such a thing as a rhetorical statement? if so, i think i just made one.  because i know there is a hiccup in my thinking of the way i see things working.  physical evidence proves it.  someone please help me understand where i got it wrong.  thnx
2018-11-26
Use props
WD9EON
Second Officer
Flight distance : 686886 ft
United States

The controller connects to the drone, the phone/tablet connects to the controller.  That's why you can fly without a display unit.
2018-11-26
Use props
WD9EON
Second Officer
Flight distance : 686886 ft
United States

The controller connects to the drone, the phone/tablet connects to the controller.  That's why you can fly without a display unit.
2018-11-26
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Russia

The information per frequency is basically correct.

2.4 is your video link - but also carries telemetry data.

5.8 is your command link for flight - but also has interaction on telemetry to a small degree.

The model connects both 2.4 and 5.8 to the controller.

The Controller connects to the Phone / tablet via WiFi.

When you give a command on screen ... take-off / camera start etc. - this is relayed to the controller which then sends out the relevant command signal to the model. The model is sending back data as to height / speed etc. to the controller which then relays that to the phone / tablet for display on screen.

I know some will say the 2.4 and 5.8 are specific and split - but in fact they do compliment each other and work together.

As regards flying without phone or tablet - you will find that strict limitation of height / range will be made - at 50m and cannot be over-ridden.

Nigel
2018-11-26
Use props
jndpj123
lvl.1

United States

thank you for your replys.  i guess i kinda figured that, but what had me second guessing was i thought once i connected to the drones wifi network with the controller off.  clearly i am mistaken.  after reading the replys i tried numerous times, and obviously could not.  anyway. thanks again for the clarification
2018-12-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules