Disability
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
embayweather
Second Officer
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

Disability discussions on here, and other places, seem to come and go. I and others have thought that there may be a nuber of us who are disabled and use drones to combat that for one reason or another. There are no firm figures so i thought it might be useful to assess how many people are out there in drone land who are disabled, and using drones.

Single SelectVote, Total 13 people participate in voting

Voting has ended

38.46% (5)
61.54% (8)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2018-11-26
Use props
RMJovo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1716240 ft
United States

Does mental disability count, I sure qualify for that somedays!
2018-11-26
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I think we all have that problem some times. I am thinking of a permanent disability though.
2018-11-26
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Good post embayweather !!

drones can help people with problems that you talk about, they can also serve to rehabilitate people with drug problems or addictions.I think the possibilities are endless in infinite fields

2018-11-26
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Being “Handicapable” is the new terminology, for this generation.

Yes, many of us are afflicted, in one way or several...
8BC2A418-E8C2-4863-9967-E197B0958BA3.png
Arthritis in my neck, between cervical 4-5, 3-4 and 2-3, is a minor distraction for me.
D6983819-C1D8-4459-803F-E415E81E7466.jpeg
https://www.verywellhealth.com/arthritis-in-the-neck-cervical-spondylosis-296658

RedHotPoker
2018-11-26
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Nebuchadnezzar Posted at 11-26 12:36

drones can help people with problems that you talk about, they can also serve to rehabilitate people with drug problems or addictions.I think the possibilities are endless in infinite fields

That is precisely my point Nebuchadnezzar, and I hope that DJI might pick up on it. There is an opportunity for them to benefit form many aspects of disabled folk and drones, and there are many ways in which those of us who are disabled can benefit from using them.  I would hope at the very least we could have a "Disabled Section" where we could discuss things like adaptations to controls and the like.
2018-11-27
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 11-26 15:47

Yes, many of us are afflicted, in one way or several...

RHP you have my sympathy for the problems that causes you. I came across it many times when I worked as a clinician and none of the people I met were happy they had it. I guess the use of some herbal medicaments help you deal with it?
2018-11-27
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sorry to read that buddy.
2018-11-27
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

embayweather Posted at 11-27 05:12
RHP you have my sympathy for the problems that causes you. I came across it many times when I worked as a clinician and none of the people I met were happy they had it. I guess the use of some herbal medicaments help you deal with it?

You know it only hurts mostly when I lay down for bed at night.  

Even with expensive Tempurpedic pillows and mattress.

Yes, herbal remedies are best. So are soothing massages.. ya

RedHotPoker
2018-11-27
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

A CW Posted at 11-27 06:12
Sorry to read that buddy.

Yup, thanks bud.

When I say I have a pain in the neck, now you all know why... ha

CBC69EDB-5D11-431B-AE50-DCD2E7382EE1.jpeg

Should I get a firmer pillow? Grin

RedHotPoker
2018-11-27
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I wonder where these come from? Lapland?
2018-11-28
Use props
1Eagle
lvl.4
Flight distance : 290348 ft
United States

HeeHee, I need a pair of those. Lol
2018-11-28
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
United Kingdom

1Eagle Posted at 11-28 10:08
HeeHee, I need a pair of those. Lol

Attached to a body the pillow would be warm as well!
2018-11-29
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have Fibromyalgia, chronic whole body pain and chronic fatigue.  Thank goodness for drugs - better living through chemistry.
2018-11-29
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha RHP,

Thanks to your pain in the neck we now have new names for the C1 and C2 button on the bottom of our controllers, Atlas (C1) and Axis (C2).  My problems are C6 and C7, but I figured out how to use my pillow to my neck's benefit.  

When I was in physical therapy, they put me on the rack and pulled my head away from my shoulders.  I was in such ecstasy, they had to stuff a sock in my mouth to shut me up!  Now using my pillow effectively, the peripheral neuropathy is almost gone.

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-11-29
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

I love me, an herbal elixir matey. Specialty tea.

Yee ol’ pirate (hippie) remedy.

Yes, A good neck stretch is awesome under traction.
Yeah... with a hot sandbag around the neck.

RedHotPoker
2018-11-30
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Cetacean Posted at 11-29 22:45
Aloha RHP,

Thanks to your pain in the neck we now have new names for the C1 and C2 button on the bottom of our controllers, Atlas (C1) and Axis (C2).  My problems are C6 and C7, but I figured out how to use my pillow to my neck's benefit.  

Wonderful news for you. I wish getting rid of a pain in the neck was always so easy. Sadly in the UK, it seems that treatment by our physiotherapists for my condition at least involves a fifteen minute appointment and being given a leaflet as to what to do next. I have tried waving it about, rubbing it on the affected parts and many other ways but nothing seems to help from that.
2018-11-30
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I see that only twelve people have responded so far, which is very disappointing considering the number of pilots on here. Does this mean apathy, that there are in fact very few participating pilots, a lack of interest in disability issues or one a of a number of other possibilities?
Come on everyone, please cast your vote so we can get a true picture of disability and drones. We may be surprised.
2018-11-30
Use props
Fester15
lvl.1
Flight distance : 93428 ft

United States

Nebuchadnezzar Posted at 11-26 12:36

This fits me to a T, I am not handicapped but I am addict in recovery. I won't say I get the same rush that I did when using but when I fly my drone getting loaded is nowhere in the parameters of my thoughts.
2018-12-4
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have a back issues, that make walking, sitting or standing for too long painful. I hear you with regards to the physio lark, its a joke. but i had to pull out of that service pretty sharpish, anything i tried was agonising. Now trying the pain clinic, thats gonna be a fail too cause no way on this earth can i or will i sit there for 2 hours listening to drivel about how eating healthy can help or exercising can help, what it is now is, they dont know whats wrong so they try some new age bul.....  
2018-12-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Thankfully I got some good news. Well, Good for me.

Seeing my nephrologist last week, getting the results from my quarterly blood and urine test.
What a pleasant surprise, my kidneys were up, actually improving some, functioning at 25%.

So that was well received.  Even a small, increase is welcome.

RedHotPoker
2018-12-4
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 12-4 21:53
Thankfully I got some good news, wel! Good for me.

Seeing my nephrologist last week, getting the results from my quarterly blood and urine test.

Very good news indeed my friend. Let us hope that the trend continues.
2018-12-5
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 12-4 20:30
I have a back issues, that make walking, sitting or standing for too long painful. I hear you with regards to the physio lark, its a joke. but i had to pull out of that service pretty sharpish, anything i tried was agonising. Now trying the pain clinic, thats gonna be a fail too cause no way on this earth can i or will i sit there for 2 hours listening to drivel about how eating healthy can help or exercising can help, what it is now is, they dont know whats wrong so they try some new age bul.....

Bashy, I could not agree more. I too was referred to the pain clinic. After two hours I was told there was nothing that could be done to make my life better except go to counselling. When I asked how talking about it would make it go away there was complete silence. Further research on my own, and after seeing a consultant I was able to obtain medical cannabis. pain more or less gone!!  you have to keep trying.
2018-12-5
Use props
scruffs dad
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1071604 ft
United Kingdom

i'm paralysed (L2) but i do not consider myself disabled, when living with a disability you tend to find ways around the problems.
2018-12-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

embayweather Posted at 12-5 04:37
Very good news indeed my friend. Let us hope that the trend continues.

Thanks, I appreciate that sentiment.
It’s only able to fluctuate minutely, at or near those numbers of functionality. It doesn’t get much better.

But it pleases me, the numbers aren’t decreasing. Haha

RedHotPoker

2018-12-5
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
United Kingdom

scruffs dad Posted at 12-5 06:35
i'm paralysed (L2) but i do not consider myself disabled, when living with a disability you tend to find ways around the problems.

It is strange you should say that. As a clinician I was always taught to use the disabled word because it was what disabled people wanted. When I got there myself I found I didn’t want it. I hate the word. Yes there are lots of things I am not ale to do, but there are many tha I can, flying drones is one of them. My condition took away my clinicians job so I took up photography. My condition then took that away from me so I became a drone pilot. Now I can take images again. So yes you do tend to find your way around things if you are not as able as you want to be.
2018-12-5
Use props
scruffs dad
Second Officer
United Kingdom

embayweather Posted at 12-5 15:18
It is strange you should say that. As a clinician I was always taught to use the disabled word because it was what disabled people wanted. When I got there myself I found I didn’t want it. I hate the word. Yes there are lots of things I am not ale to do, but there are many tha I can, flying drones is one of them. My condition took away my clinicians job so I took up photography. My condition then took that away from me so I became a drone pilot. Now I can take images again. So yes you do tend to find your way around things if you are not as able as you want to be.

I was given my phantom 3 by my daughter after we went to see a star map in derbyshire that i was interested in. when we got there, there was a load of steps to a viewing area so you could see it from above. she know i was disappointed and when she gave it to me she said you'll never have that problem again. This was just the start of my drone journey. Last month i took a pfco course and last week i received my permissions from the CAA. on wards and up, life is great
2018-12-5
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
United Kingdom

scruffs dad Posted at 12-5 23:08
I was given my phantom 3 by my daughter after we went to see a star map in derbyshire that i was interested in. when we got there, there was a load of steps to a viewing area so you could see it from above. she know i was disappointed and when she gave it to me she said you'll never have that problem again. This was just the start of my drone journey. Last month i took a pfco course and last week i received my permissions from the CAA. on wards and up, life is great

Many congratulations on your PfCO.  As similar journey to my own.  It is indeed onwards and upwards, and stories such as yours, if noted and shared by DJI, would be valuable to them as well as to the thousands of other disabled folk throughout the world. That is why i am more than a little saddened that we have not yet had a comment from a Moderator here.
May I ask what you are going to do with your bright new PfCO?
2018-12-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

The forum mods here are pretty selective in their replies...

They tend to avoid getting personal.

RedHotPoker

2018-12-8
Use props
scruffs dad
Second Officer
United Kingdom

embayweather Posted at 12-8 05:23
Many congratulations on your PfCO.  As similar journey to my own.  It is indeed onwards and upwards, and stories such as yours, if noted and shared by DJI, would be valuable to them as well as to the thousands of other disabled folk throughout the world. That is why i am more than a little saddened that we have not yet had a comment from a Moderator here.
May I ask what you are going to do with your bright new PfCO?

just set up a business, i have a contract with a local estate agent for aerial pictures and videos of properties that are up for sale. in the future i want to get a new drone probably inspire and look to do surveying work.
2018-12-9
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
United Kingdom

scruffs dad Posted at 12-9 08:25
just set up a business, i have a contract with a local estate agent for aerial pictures and videos of properties that are up for sale. in the future i want to get a new drone probably inspire and look to do surveying work.

Well done, I do hope it goes well for you.
2018-12-11
Use props
Joszhe Tosa
Second Officer

United States

This is a great start for the use of drones to support the disabled. I'm planning to start a program in the near future that will allow physically disabled people to use VR devices with drones so they can experience what flying may be like.

It will open up a whole new world for them. So many people dream of flying while sleeping or daydreaming.

Drones are the closest thing to flying if one is not flying manned aircraft.
2018-12-21
Use props
Rahmatwondex
lvl.1

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-11-26 15:47

I think to strengthen physically by exercising. walk in the morning on holidays, will keep physically healthy and bones awake

http://bacasamehada.com
2019-9-28
Use props
Rahmatwondex
lvl.1

http://bacasamehada.com
2019-9-28
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain

Spamming our Forum shows a great degree of mental disability.

Brain function is morally low.

RedHotPoker
2019-9-28
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer

Joszhe Tosa Posted at 2018-12-21 12:56
This is a great start for the use of drones to support the disabled. I'm planning to start a program in the near future that will allow physically disabled people to use VR devices with drones so they can experience what flying may be like.

It will open up a whole new world for them. So many people dream of flying while sleeping or daydreaming.

I have recently done a drone day at the Neuromuscular Centre . There was a really good attendance from both able bodied and those in wheels. I felt it went really well and I have had a lot of good feedback from it. They have asked me to do another next year.
Sadly the weather was not conducive to flying outside but they all did fly one of my Tinywhoop style drones inside.
Do please try and take it forward if you can. It will make such a difference to those who are never likely to get a pilots eye view of the world.
2019-9-29
Use props
Rahmatwondex
lvl.1

Indonesia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-11-26 15:47

If sitting long, will conclude a sore throat in the neck
http://bacasamehada.com/
2019-12-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

embayweather Posted at 9-29 04:34
I have recently done a drone day at the Neuromuscular Centre . There was a really good attendance from both able bodied and those in wheels. I felt it went really well and I have had a lot of good feedback from it. They have asked me to do another next year.
Sadly the weather was not conducive to flying outside but they all did fly one of my Tinywhoop style drones inside.
Do please try and take it forward if you can. It will make such a difference to those who are never likely to get a pilots eye view of the world.

Good stuff. Thanks for the positive report.

RedHotPoker
2019-12-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Rahmatwondex Posted at 12-10 08:06
If sitting long, will conclude a sore throat in the neck
http://bacasamehada.com/

Spam elsewhere will you, buddy.

RedHotPoker
2019-12-10
Use props
Goldenseal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 487034 ft
United States

Some don't like to talk about their problems. It can get very depressing. When in a lot of pain all the time, wonder what good is life. Why keep going. healthy people don't care or want to hear someone's bellyache.  
2019-12-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules