2nd question/re: activation issue?
2384 36 2018-11-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiguy001
Second Officer

Canada

Just watching more of another review video...

For "activation" - can I use an iPad?

I don't actually have a phone I can use to activate it, and from the video it appears you need one. Can I use wifi, or some adapter for that?

Thanks.

2018-11-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello there, Osmo Pocket cannot be activated through a Micro-USB cable, the Wireless Module, or other methods, it can only be activated via the Lightning or USB-C, sorry for the inconvenience.
2018-11-29
Use props
djiguy001
Second Officer

Canada

Huh.

Does this mean it can only be activated through a cellphone? (I don't know what a 'lighting' or USB-C cord is).

Can I use my iPad?

If I have to buy a cellphone - what type of cellphone do I need to activate it?
2018-11-29
Use props
DJIJAKOB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 740577 ft
  • >>>
Norway

djiguy001 Posted at 11-29 05:32
Huh.

Does this mean it can only be activated through a cellphone? (I don't know what a 'lighting' or USB-C cord is).

I have not yet seen any official confirmation about this. But my guess is that DJI Mimo will only be available for smartphones (Android/iOS). Which means you will not be able to activate it via your tablet.
2018-11-29
Use props
djiguy001
Second Officer

Canada

DJIJAKOB Posted at 11-29 05:45
I have not yet seen any official confirmation about this. But my guess is that DJI Mimo will only be available for smartphones (Android/iOS). Which means you will not be able to activate it via your tablet.

huh... so I guess I'd have to buy a cellphone just to be able to turn on a camera?

what type of cellphone do I need to get, iOS version, etc?

-- AND -- big question - can I use a friends phone to activate it, and still use the osmo after? (so if I do, what version iOS does he/she need, etc?)
2018-11-29
Use props
JMR58
First Officer
Flight distance : 627966 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

djiguy001 Posted at 11-29 06:04
huh... so I guess I'd have to buy a cellphone just to be able to turn on a camera?

The charging cable of your ipad is normally a lightning cable (iPad has a lightning port).
2018-11-29
Use props
djiguy001
Second Officer

Canada

JMR58 Posted at 11-29 06:28
The charging cable of your ipad is normally a lightning cable (iPad has a lightning port).

Ah, okay, thanks, you might be right.

I just "reviewed" the "review" video - and noticed he said "smart phone adapter". Looking at what is shipped with the osmo pocket - it does look like they have an (ipad) lightning adapter too - so it does look like I should be able to hook up my ipad. (From the way the review was done, I thought I could *only* use a smartphone)... hopefully that works, thanks!
2018-11-29
Use props
rafcaps
New
Flight distance : 2448 ft
Japan

Hi there,
Just got an Oslo mobile 2 but I cant seem to activate it. After I authorize and tren activate, it hangs. Just freezes after hitting  the activate button. Grateful for any advise please. Thank you
2018-12-1
Use props
djiguy001
Second Officer

Canada

rafcaps Posted at 12-1 07:19
Hi there,
Just got an Oslo mobile 2 but I cant seem to activate it. After I authorize and tren activate, it hangs. Just freezes after hitting  the activate button. Grateful for any advise please. Thank you

don't you need the dji mimo app? where did you download it (because I can't seem to find it yet in the app store)
2018-12-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

djiguy001 Posted at 12-1 11:36
don't you need the dji mimo app? where did you download it (because I can't seem to find it yet in the app store)

Djigo for Osmo mobile.
2018-12-1
Use props
djiguy001
Second Officer

Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 12-1 12:23
Djigo for Osmo mobile.

ah. maybe you need the mimo? (not sure, but i did see it said the dji go 'should' work as well). btw - how did you get yours delivered so early? mine still shows 'authorized' but not yet shipped... looking forward to getting it!
2018-12-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

djiguy001 Posted at 12-2 09:44
ah. maybe you need the mimo? (not sure, but i did see it said the dji go 'should' work as well). btw - how did you get yours delivered so early? mine still shows 'authorized' but not yet shipped... looking forward to getting it!

Mine is the same don’t think it will ship here for a couple of weeks at best.
2018-12-2
Use props
djiguy001
Second Officer

Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 12-2 09:46
Mine is the same don’t think it will ship here for a couple of weeks at best.

ah, lol - I guess I need to 're-read' what you wrote... I was "assuming" you were talking about the osmo pocket (in fact, that is what I think I "read"), but then just realized you were talking about the osmo mobile...!
2018-12-2
Use props
HUYZER
lvl.2
United States

djiguy001 Posted at 11-29 06:04
huh... so I guess I'd have to buy a cellphone just to be able to turn on a camera?

-- AND -- big question - can I use a friends phone to activate it, and still use the osmo after? (so if I do, what version iOS does he/she need, etc?)
I would like to know this, too!  I would love the Osmo Pocket, but does that require me to buy a new phone (with the USB-C or lightning connector)?!  That would be ridiculous.
Please make a desktop app for the Pro features allowed from a phone (as well as activation)... or just registration and activation with email!

2018-12-8
Use props
Spazz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 86588 ft
United States

HUYZER Posted at 12-8 16:04
I would like to know this, too!  I would love the Osmo Pocket, but does that require me to buy a new phone (with the USB-C or lightning connector)?!  That would be ridiculous.
Please make a desktop app for the Pro features allowed from a phone (as well as activation)... or just registration and activation with email!

There are adapters for USB-C to connect to older devices...I bought one to reuse older charge cords when I upgraded my phone...  Im sure they will work just fine.  Not sure if there is an adapter for Lightning cables though

USB-c to USB adapter- AMAZON
2018-12-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Huh.

Does this mean it can only be activated through a cellphone? (I don't know what a 'lighting' or USB-C cord is).

Hi djiguy001, sorry for my late response, please reply to one of my posts directly so that I can get the notification and reply timely.
For iPad, it can be used to activate the Osmo Pocket, but since it is too big, with it connected via the lightning adapter, it will affect the camera rotation, therefore, it would be better to use iPad with Wireless Module.
2018-12-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

rafcaps Posted at 12-1 07:19
Hi there,

Hi rafcaps, may I know if the issue has been figured out? If not, did the APP show Activation Successful? Did you attach the mobile phone and balance it properly before powering on?
2018-12-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

HUYZER Posted at 12-8 16:04

Hi HUYZER, sorry for my late response, Osmo Pocket can only be activated via DJI Mimo by lightning or Type-C adapter, iPad is OK, please check my post in 16#.
May I know what is the model of your mobile device? For iOS device, the system version should be 10 or above.
2018-12-10
Use props
djiguy001
Second Officer

Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 12-10 00:46
Hi djiguy001, sorry for my late response, please reply to one of my posts directly so that I can get the notification and reply timely.
For iPad, it can be used to activate the Osmo Pocket, but since it is too big, with it connected via the lightning adapter, it will affect the camera rotation, therefore, it would be better to use iPad with Wireless Module.

hi! okay, thanks.

One other question - if I activate it with one machine (say an iPad), but later - want to use the DJI mimo on a different machine (say a phone) - can I use it on the phone? Or do I have to "re-activate" it on the phone, etc?
2018-12-10
Use props
djiguy001
Second Officer

Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 12-10 01:05
Hi HUYZER, sorry for my late response, Osmo Pocket can only be activated via DJI Mimo by lightning or Type-C adapter, iPad is OK, please check my post in 16#.
May I know what is the model of your mobile device? For iOS device, the system version should be 10 or above.

pps - also, do you know when the DJI mimo app will be available? (on the webpage, it still says 'coming soon') thanks! (I realize we don't "yet" have the osmo, but just wondering if it will be ready when its shipped), thanks!
2018-12-10
Use props
HUYZER
lvl.2
United States

Hi HUYZER, sorry for my late response, Osmo Pocket can only be activated via DJI Mimo by lightning or Type-C adapter, iPad is OK, please check my post in 16#.

Hi Mindy,

Thank  you for the reply.  My phone is the Moto E4 Plus with Android version 7.1.1

Someone suggested I use a micro USB to USB-C adapter to activate and use the Pocket with my phone.  Can you confirm if that will work?  Here is the product link:
Micro-USB to USB-C adapter

Also, as others have asked, if we decide to use another person's phone/iPad, etc.  to activate it, are we forced to stick with that, or can we later use another phone/iPad, etc.?  Thank you.
2018-12-10
Use props
HUYZER
lvl.2
United States

Hi HUYZER, sorry for my late response, Osmo Pocket can only be activated via DJI Mimo by lightning or Type-C adapter, iPad is OK, please check my post in 16#.

Sorry, I was given the wrong link.  This is the correct link to a micro-USB to USB-C adapter.
2018-12-10
Use props
HUYZER
lvl.2
United States

ACK!  Sorry, Mindy.  I wasn't thinking.  This is what I would need.  Disregard the other links.

USB C to Micro USB Adapter

P.S.  The forum's two-minute limit on editing a post is TOO short, as well as not allowing us to delete a reply.
2018-12-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

djiguy001 Posted at 12-10 06:46
pps - also, do you know when the DJI mimo app will be available? (on the webpage, it still says 'coming soon') thanks! (I realize we don't "yet" have the osmo, but just wondering if it will be ready when its shipped), thanks!

DJI Mimo has been released, please download from our website: https://www.dji.com/mimo
Osmo pocket only needs to be activated once, if you have activated via iPad, you can use it directly with another mobile device.
2018-12-12
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have not yet seen any official confirmation about this. But my guess is that DJI Mimo will only be available for smartphones (Android/iOS). Which means you will not be able to activate it via your tablet.

That's inaccurate.  If you have an "extension" cable (which allows you to connect to a tablet/pad without interfering with the gimbal movement) you can connect.  The Mimo App runs fine on an iPad Mini and offers the activation process at the startup screen.
2018-12-12
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 12-10 00:46
Hi djiguy001, sorry for my late response, please reply to one of my posts directly so that I can get the notification and reply timely.

Hi Mindy,
An alternative would be to use an extension cable so the iPad/tablet doesn't interfere with the gimbal.
FWIW, 3-6 foot long versions are available on eBay for $8-15 US.  Just search for "Lightening Extension Cable," or, "USB-c Extension Cable"  An Apple Thunderbolt 3 cable will also work.
2018-12-12
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiguy001 Posted at 12-10 06:45
hi! okay, thanks.

One other question - if I activate it with one machine (say an iPad), but later - want to use the DJI mimo on a different machine (say a phone) - can I use it on the phone? Or do I have to "re-activate" it on the phone, etc?

When you activate your OP you do so through the DJI "universe" and create an "account" under which that device is registered.  Each time you start up with Mimo you are getting validated through that account.  So, yes, you can use different devices providing they have the supported operating system.  Be sure to have the same Mimo version on each device you use, too.
2018-12-12
Use props
skyhighmedia
lvl.4
Flight distance : 740577 ft
  • >>>
Norway

WebParrot Posted at 12-12 05:39
That's inaccurate.  If you have an "extension" cable (which allows you to connect to a tablet/pad without interfering with the gimbal movement) you can connect.  The Mimo App runs fine on an iPad Mini and offers the activation process at the startup screen.

Sorry, you are correct. Just tested with an iPad and it connected fine. Only problem I saw is that the gimbal hits the tablet frame once it is powered on. So an extension cable like you mention might be handy.
2018-12-12
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

skyhighmedia Posted at 12-12 07:07
Sorry, you are correct. Just tested with an iPad and it connected fine. Only problem I saw is that the gimbal hits the tablet frame once it is powered on. So an extension cable like you mention might be handy.

No worries (obviously!)
FWIW, I saw in another forum where a user turned on the OP before attaching the iPad.  He/she was able to gently turn the gimbal out of harms way and was able to d/l the new firmware as well as activating.... Seems like a nice interim approach until your cable arrives ;-)
2018-12-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

HUYZER Posted at 12-10 08:32
ACK!  Sorry, Mindy.  I wasn't thinking.  This is what I would need.  Disregard the other links.

USB C to Micro USB Adapter

I’m afraid not, the Osmo Pocket cannot be activated with a Micro USB Android mobile phone and this mobile phone cannot be used with DJI Mimo to shoot videos or pictures.
If you have a Type-C OTG cable (Type-C to USB) to connect the Micro-USB cable, then connect the Osmo Pocket with the mobile phone, the device can be activated and used, but App compatibility cannot be ensured since the phones with Micro USB port are not in our compatible list.
If you activate Osmo Pocket with another phone, it will not stick with it, you can use any other phones that are in our compatible list.
2018-12-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

WebParrot Posted at 12-12 05:43
Hi Mindy,
An alternative would be to use an extension cable so the iPad/tablet doesn't interfere with the gimbal.
FWIW, 3-6 foot long versions are available on eBay for $8-15 US.  Just search for "Lightening Extension Cable," or, "USB-c Extension Cable"  An Apple Thunderbolt 3 cable will also work.

Thanks for your suggestion, but the compatibility cannot be fully ensured, it would be better to use the Wireless Module with iPad.
2018-12-12
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 12-12 22:36
Thanks for your suggestion, but the compatibility cannot be fully ensured, it would be better to use the Wireless Module with iPad.

Sorry.  I was responding in the context of this Post.  Original Poster was asking about activation and since the Wireless Module isn't available (as of this date 12/12/18) I was offering an alternative that should work to accomplish activations.
No worries.
2018-12-13
Use props
Jeff Wilson
lvl.1

United States

I have Mimo running on a Samsung tablet.
2018-12-13
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

WebParrot Posted at 12-13 05:59
Sorry.  I was responding in the context of this Post.  Original Poster was asking about activation and since the Wireless Module isn't available (as of this date 12/12/18) I was offering an alternative that should work to accomplish activations.
No worries.

I understand, it's just a warm tip, no worries.
2018-12-13
Use props
djiuser_aQcBlD2ui5e4
lvl.1
Germany

Just bought my brandnew DJI Osmo Pocket and now I cannot activate it. My smartphone is an Motorola G4 using micro USB.
So I do have to buy myself a brandnew smartphone as well?
I won´t do that. If there is no workaround I´ll bring it back to the shop tomorrow and never touch an DJI product again. Shame on you!
2018-12-19
Use props
PiteousPlayer
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Huh.

Go into an Apple store and register using one of the display unit.
2018-12-20
Use props
Svendura
lvl.1
Germany

djiuser_aQcBlD2ui5e4 Posted at 12-19 10:46
Just bought my brandnew DJI Osmo Pocket and now I cannot activate it. My smartphone is an Motorola G4 using micro USB.
So I do have to buy myself a brandnew smartphone as well?
I won´t do that. If there is no workaround I´ll bring it back to the shop tomorrow and never touch an DJI product again. Shame on you!

In the meantime I've found a youtube video] explaining how it can be done with the help of an OTG cable. And it worked.

2018-12-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules