Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Osmo Pocket Motion Timelapse DNGs?
713465 713465 2018-11-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nibblerrick
lvl.3
Flight distance : 304590 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Hi,

as far as I understood the FAQs Motion Timelapse can save the individual Photos but only as JPG. Is that right and if yes will saving the individual Photos as DNG be supported in a future version? Even on a relatively tiny sensor you can do so much more on a timelapse with the RAW photos...

Thanks, Nico
2018-11-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Nico, thanks for your interest in Osmo Pocket, Timelapse only supports JPEG, DNG requests very large storage and processing capability. I'm afraid it will not be added currently.
2018-11-29
Use props
nibblerrick
lvl.3
Flight distance : 304590 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Thanks for your reply, that's a bummer. Large storage shouldn't be a problem with the SD-Cards and processing power seems to be availible as 4k60 is there. And the DNGs doesn't need to be processed that much they just need to be saved and saving DNGs is generally possible with this device if I understood correctly.
I hope your engineers may consider adding this in the future.
2018-11-29
Use props
The Flying Shark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 194150 ft
Portugal

+1 for adding RAW support to Time/Motionlapse.

In terms of image quality it's night and day.

And as nibblerrick said storage is not a problem and processing power shouldn't be either.
2018-12-14
Use props
anlar
lvl.4
Sweden

+1 for Dng....
2018-12-14
Use props
JKJenn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 42280 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yup.... no offense but the storage issue does not hold water with the micro sd card on board. Really not any different than the drones.
2018-12-14
Use props
Cameleon
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60394 ft
United Kingdom

Yup, no reason it shoudn't do this. Space and processing are not an issue as mentioned above. DNG should take less processing than JPG as its just effectively writing raw sensor data.
2018-12-14
Use props
BrianKushner
Captain
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

nibblerrick Posted at 11-29 06:44
Thanks for your reply, that's a bummer. Large storage shouldn't be a problem with the SD-Cards and processing power seems to be availible as 4k60 is there. And the DNGs doesn't need to be processed that much they just need to be saved and saving DNGs is generally possible with this device if I understood correctly.
I hope your engineers may consider adding this in the future.

What your trying to say is their drones do it so should this. I agree.
2018-12-15
Use props
fliesandcrashes
Australia

Please prioritize enabling DNG for timelapse. Battery consumption is not an issue, those shooting DNG timelapse will be more than happy to tether the device.

The problem with timelapse/motionlapse is there is no whitebalance tracking, so it's IMPOSSIBLE to shoot a sunrise or sunset without things getting too yellow or too blue. The only way to deal with this is if DNG is made available so that whitebalance can be fixed in post.

Please prioritize this feature, it's a glaring problem with the timelapse function that's ruining my experience with this device and making me consider refunding.
2018-12-24
Use props
fliesandcrashes
Australia

Here is an example of how Osmo Pocket ruins sunset timelapse: https://imgur.com/a/eKYS1rg
Once the sodium lights come on, everything just becomes yellow. Likewise doing a sunrise initiates WB on the sodium light and then the imagine becomes pure blue as the sun rises.

This is not acceptable. The GoPro does not have this problem. Please prioritize enabling DNG export for timelapse.
2018-12-24
Use props
WebParrot
Captain
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

BrianKushner Posted at 12-15 13:08
What your trying to say is their drones do it so should this. I agree.

Your presumption is that the Pocket and Mavic have the same processors? (video, audio, communications,  cpu).  Haven't seen any specs that would support that presumption.
2018-12-24
Use props
fliesandcrashes
Australia

The only two limiting factors that would be influenced by specs are battery life and maximum capture throughput. I tested by tethering my phone and spamming the shutter button in jpeg+raw mode, it seems to average one shot every 15 seconds.

That's acceptable. Please prioritise this feature, DJI.
2018-12-25
Use props
kburn
Flight distance : 435640 ft
Australia

Plus one for adding this feature. Are current jpegs saved in 4k or 1080p res?
2018-12-25
Use props
Xlear99
United States

kburn Posted at 12-25 12:20
Plus one for adding this feature. Are current jpegs saved in 4k or 1080p res?

The current time-lapse photo is saved as jpeg but it has the full size of 4000 X 2250. So even though the camera processed time-lapse video is only HD you can process the jpeg files in any video editing program yourself to get the 4K video. However I wish the DNG file can bed added in the future firmware upgrade as GoPro can save DNG with no problem
2018-12-28
Use props
ampand
Flight distance : 231381 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Raw - very essential!
2018-12-28
Use props
Ricur
Flight distance : 1056076 ft
  • >>>
Mexico

100% agreed!   Now a days it´s a most to be able to shoot RAW otherwise it´s better to take the Sony Rx100V and we´ll get amazing RAW timelapses. Please add RAW to timelapse and let us worry about bogger memory card or battery packs.
2019-1-2
Use props
Rob W
Captain
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

+1   DNG for Motion Timelapse. There is no reason to go for a lesser image quality, DJI. DNG is technically feasible.
2019-1-2
Use props
Luca Rubino
Captain
Flight distance : 711512 ft
  • >>>
Italy

I can make it with my drones (Mavic Air as well), but I cannot with the Osmo Pocket? What?
2019-1-3
Use props
Giammi
Captain
Flight distance : 847795 ft
Italy

+1 also from me.. RAW shotting is ESSENTIAL with such a small sensor.. c'mon DJI..
I would also accept that, in case of .dng shooting, no .jpeg are saved and no final video is rendered..
2019-1-3
Use props
supagold
lvl.1
United States

I came here specifically looking to request this feature. +1 for RAW!
2019-1-3
Use props
trica de
First Officer
Flight distance : 1062090 ft
  • >>>
Germany

same here +1 for raw
2019-1-4
Use props
djiuser_yC1fk4q7K59D
lvl.1

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-11-29 01:08
Hi Nico, thanks for your interest in Osmo Pocket, Timelapse only supports JPEG, DNG requests very large storage and processing capability. I'm afraid it will not be added currently.

+1 For RAW time lapses. One of the only things making me consider a Hero over this.
2019-1-4
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

djiuser_yC1fk4q7K59D Posted at 1-4 21:31
+1 For RAW time lapses. One of the only things making me consider a Hero over this.

Thanks for reaching DJI Forum, your need will be forwarded to our engineers for consideration in the future development, thanks for your support to DJI.
2019-1-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Hi all, your needs have been escalated to our engineers for attention, please note the future update, thanks for your support to DJI.
2019-1-7
Use props
Giammi
Captain
Flight distance : 847795 ft
Italy

DJI Mindy Posted at 1-7 23:37
Hi all, your needs have been escalated to our engineers for attention, please note the future update, thanks for your support to DJI.

Thank you Mindy
2019-1-8
Use props
Rob W
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-11-29 01:08
Hi Nico, thanks for your interest in Osmo Pocket, Timelapse only supports JPEG, DNG requests very large storage and processing capability. I'm afraid it will not be added currently.

Storage is not a problem - it is up to the user to buy an SD-card. DJI does not provide an SD-card with the OP anyway.

For a good quality image, a RAW format is needed. JPEG is too destructive. I rather have the choice to have quality images and process them myself, than having the OP process JPEG images that gives bad results.

And why not incorporate HDR with the OP? I'd like to shoot 3 or 5 DNG's and bring them into my favorite photo editor.

D-Cinelike... Now   Please don't hinder the possibilities the OP have.
2019-1-8
Use props
Christoph777
Germany

Yes, PLEASE add RAW support to the timelapse and moving timelapse function!!!

It would also be great to have some kind of HDR for JPEGS and exposure bracketing for RAW pictures, maybe even in timelapse mode

Thanks!
2019-1-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Rob W Posted at 1-8 05:36
Storage is not a problem - it is up to the user to buy an SD-card. DJI does not provide an SD-card with the OP anyway.

For a good quality image, a RAW format is needed. JPEG is too destructive. I rather have the choice to have quality images and process them myself, than having the OP process JPEG images that gives bad results.

Your suggestion has been transferred to our engineers, HDR was canceled temporarily for better performance, please note the future update, D-Cinelike is estimated to be added in the next firmware, thanks for your patience.
2019-1-9
Use props
Rob W
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

DJI Mindy Posted at 1-9 03:36
Your suggestion has been transferred to our engineers, HDR was canceled temporarily for better performance, please note the future update, D-Cinelike is estimated to be added in the next firmware, thanks for your patience.

Thank you for the update, Mindy!
2019-1-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Rob W Posted at 1-9 04:05
Thank you for the update, Mindy!

You are welcome, Rob. Please keep me updated if you have any further concern.
2019-1-11
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Captain

United Kingdom

If DNG support proves impossible for whatever reason for this can we at least have the ability to set a manual white balance for timelapse instead?  I would prefer DNG as pulling down overexposed timelapse frames or even single jpegs leaves much to be desired in skies in particular.
2019-1-12
Use props
tolga tezcan
New
Turkey

+1 for raw timelapse ..
2019-1-29
Use props
djiuser_RdEoQ8JXYzAP
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6403497 ft
Thailand

+ for RAW Timelapse. JPG from Osmo pocket are to much processed. I can not get good quality 4K timelapse with the JPG. If processing power are limit it’s ok to increase minimun base interval when select RAW.
2019-2-1
Use props
suwatpo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 85079 ft
Singapore

RAW Timelapse for the next firmware update PLEASE !!!!
2019-2-1
Use props
forbsie
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

+1 for RAW Timelapse
2019-2-2
Use props
liketofly
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1315561 ft
South Africa

+1 for RAW TL
2019-2-2
Use props
hvilorio
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10184222 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

+1 RAW Timelapse / Motionlapse
2019-2-3
Use props
dtokez
lvl.1
Flight distance : 232812 ft
United Kingdom

yes please, raw is needed to get the best out of this device
2019-2-4
Use props
Pakorn-th-omp
lvl.1

Thailand

Many of my time-lapse shooter friend in Thailand  wait to buy OMP because they want RAW in motion time-lapse. So,  me as well.
I hope DJI see this article and update new firmware for motion time-lapse asps.
2019-2-14
Use props
digiteye
lvl.1
Flight distance : 676 ft
Thailand

Please add raw to timelapse and panorama. Mostly timelapse. Photos can be taken with raw, no technical reasons for disabling it for timelapses. Thank you
2019-2-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules