Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 4 Pro flight in freezing temperature
5080 23 2018-11-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Filip Kyzek
lvl.4
Czechia

So today I had my first flight with DJI Phantom 4 Pro. And it felt amazing but the only problem is that here in Czech Republic it’s freezing cold temperature like -4° and so I want to ask you is it safe to fly  In these  condition with Phantom 4 Pro?  Please tell me  your experience and some tips  and when I’m taking drawn from the cold weather to warm house it makes to drown a little bit wet
Do you know how to Prevent that?
2018-11-29
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Probably just condensation formed from the temperature contrasts.  A quick wipe down would be good.
2018-11-29
Use props
Filip Kyzek
lvl.4
Czechia

Thank you but can it get inside ? Into electronics?
2018-11-29
Use props
Anokadrone
Captain
Flight distance : 58327 ft

United States

When its still cold, you could put it in a plastic grocery shopping bag (if you guys allow those over there)  and seal it up (tie a knot) so free air cant get at it, and then bring it in.  That will keep the warmer moister air away until it warms up.  Should reduce the condensation.  (And yes, it will get into the interior of the air frame i.e. electronics) if you let it just freely condense all over it.  
2018-11-29
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi Filip, thank you for bringing this query to us. Kindly take note of the Operating Temperature Range of the aircraft which is 32° to 104°F (0° to 40°C) . We highly recommend to avoid flying to this extreme weather conditions if its freezing cold temperature like you've mentioned (-4 degrees). Thank you.

2018-11-29
Use props
Filip Kyzek
lvl.4
Czechia

DJI Gamora Posted at 11-29 09:53
Hi Filip, thank you for bringing this query to us. Kindly take note of the Operating Temperature Range of the aircraft which is 32° to 104°F (0° to 40°C) . We highly recommend to avoid flying to this extreme weather conditions if its freezing cold temperature like you've mentioned (-4 degrees). Thank you.

[view_image]

Okay! Thank you! So this was last flight bellow 0
So when it’s like 0, 1,2  degrees and it still feels extreme cold it’s ok?
2018-11-29
Use props
Filip Kyzek
lvl.4
Czechia

Anokadrone Posted at 11-29 09:03
When its still cold, you could put it in a plastic grocery shopping bag (if you guys allow those over there)  and seal it up (tie a knot) so free air cant get at it, and then bring it in.  That will keep the warmer moister air away until it warms up.  Should reduce the condensation.  (And yes, it will get into the interior of the air frame i.e. electronics) if you let it just freely condense all over it.

Good to know! Thank you!
2018-11-29
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Azerbaijan

I fly my P3P in temps down to -10C with no problems at all .....

Here's a flight few days ago at -2C .....

Much colder :

Nigel
2018-11-30
Use props
sky wombat
Captain
Flight distance : 1443894 ft
  • >>>
Australia

If you’re worried see if you can get hold of a couple of packets of silica gel and throw them in your storage pack with your P4.
2018-11-30
Use props
Dumbthumbs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7972 ft
United States

Hello Philip. I have experienced the same problems with cameras, too. Coming from a warm environment to a cold environment is not a problem. Coming from cold to warm will fog lenses and condense moisture in the device. If you can, leave the aircraft in an area where it can gradually warm up like a garage or entryway. Anokadrone had the right idea with a plastic bag. Keep the warm moist air away from the aircraft until it is at room temperature.
2018-11-30
Use props
Filip Kyzek
lvl.4
Czechia

sky wombat Posted at 11-30 02:58
If you’re worried see if you can get hold of a couple of packets of silica gel and throw them in your storage pack with your P4.

Okay! Thanks for advice!
2018-11-30
Use props
Filip Kyzek
lvl.4
Czechia

solentlife Posted at 11-30 01:25
I fly my P3P in temps down to -10C with no problems at all .....

Here's a flight few days ago at -2C .....

Wow! These footages looks amazing! And thanks for sharing your experience!
2018-11-30
Use props
Filip Kyzek
lvl.4
Czechia

Dumbthumbs Posted at 11-30 05:29
Hello Philip. I have experienced the same problems with cameras, too. Coming from a warm environment to a cold environment is not a problem. Coming from cold to warm will fog lenses and condense moisture in the device. If you can, leave the aircraft in an area where it can gradually warm up like a garage or entryway. Anokadrone had the right idea with a plastic bag. Keep the warm moist air away from the aircraft until it is at room temperature.

Yes okay! Good to know, thank you!
2018-11-30
Use props
Filip Kyzek
lvl.4
Czechia

Dumbthumbs Posted at 11-30 05:29

Yes okay! Good to know, thank you!
2018-11-30
Use props
Dragline49
lvl.1
United States

I've run my Phantom 4 pro at -35C without issue. I just preheat the battery inside beforehand.

As far as condensation, I've found the trick to be to pull the memory card out while outside. Then put the drone in it's case and bring it inside in the case. If it warms up in the case without airflow, condensation won't be an issue.
2018-11-30
Use props
Anokadrone
Captain
Flight distance : 58327 ft

United States

Dragline49 Posted at 11-30 12:02
I've run my Phantom 4 pro at -35C without issue. I just preheat the battery inside beforehand.

As far as condensation, I've found the trick to be to pull the memory card out while outside. Then put the drone in it's case and bring it inside in the case. If it warms up in the case without airflow, condensation won't be an issue.

Excellent idea....way to conventional!  
2018-11-30
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Azerbaijan

For me - I think my best footage is during winter. The scenery is amazing ..... and to not fly in the cold would miss it all.

I have a plan this winter to return to the area in the photo :

To capture the trees with their ice and snow covered branches etc. With virgin untouched snow on the ground / road ....

Nigel
2018-11-30
Use props
Filip Kyzek
lvl.4
Czechia

solentlife Posted at 11-30 22:20
For me - I think my best footage is during winter. The scenery is amazing ..... and to not fly in the cold would miss it all.

I have a plan this winter to return to the area in the photo :

Okay! Thank you! I was flying today and it is like a DRUG! It is so much fun!
2018-12-1
Use props
Filip Kyzek
lvl.4
Czechia

Dragline49 Posted at 11-30 12:02

Wow! Thats pretty incredible! Good job!
2018-12-1
Use props
andy10
First Officer
Flight distance : 4585692 ft
  • >>>
Slovenia

About cold temperature it is relatively safe down to -5. Maybe even lower but I won't go there partly because the durability of batteries would be unpredictable shorter and partly because it is too cold to stand outside for a longer time. You need to preheat the battery before flight. I usually put it in my inner pocket and put it in the Phantom just before start. Phantom won't start motors if the temperature of the battery is below 16 C.
While motors are running the battery will be heating itself. You should more often as usual control the temp. and the voltage of the battery and land sooner at around let say 30% or even 40% to be in the safe side. Until I arrive to the location I usually keep the Phantom in the car cabin where is warm.
2018-12-1
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Azerbaijan

I also calibrated my P3P in the cold outside .... because the IMU references the temperature during calibration. Calibrate at low temp and you have less wait for AC to warm up. In -10C ... my P3P is literally ready to take off within same time as when summer temps of +30C

Nigel
2018-12-1
Use props
Filip Kyzek
lvl.4
Czechia

andy10 Posted at 12-1 07:24
About cold temperature it is relatively safe down to -5. Maybe even lower but I won't go there partly because the durability of batteries would be unpredictable shorter and partly because it is too cold to stand outside for a longer time. You need to preheat the battery before flight. I usually put it in my inner pocket and put it in the Phantom just before start. Phantom won't start motors if the temperature of the battery is below 16 C.
While motors are running the battery will be heating itself. You should more often as usual control the temp. and the voltage of the battery and land sooner at around let say 30% or even 40% to be in the safe side. Until I arrive to the location I usually keep the Phantom in the car cabin where is warm.

Well OK! Only to -5 good to know thanks!
2018-12-2
Use props
Filip Kyzek
lvl.4
Czechia

solentlife Posted at 12-1 07:44
I also calibrated my P3P in the cold outside .... because the IMU references the temperature during calibration. Calibrate at low temp and you have less wait for AC to warm up. In -10C ... my P3P is literally ready to take off within same time as when summer temps of +30C

Nigel

Okay! Thanks!
2018-12-2
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Azerbaijan

I love the quotes of : Not below -5C .... 0C ... 32F .... etc.

If you set up your flights in good order ... look after the battery so its warm to use ... have your IMU calibrated in the cold ... there is NO practical temp limit - it really comes down to what YOU as the Pilot standing out there can suffer !!

My coldest is -22C ..... and there was no problem at all ... I had to abort after about 9 mins purely because my feet and hands were so cold !! The P3 performed flawlessly.

Nigel
2018-12-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules