Should you buy the Osmo Pocket? Maybe this might help.
4025 25 2018-11-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Risharde
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2881 ft
Trinidad and Tobago

Hi guys, for those of you who might not be too sure which gimbal you should purchase from DJI, hopefully this video will help since I tried my best to compare the DJI Osmo Pocket with the DJI Osmo Mobile 2.

[url=Hi guys, this is my comparison of the DJI OSMO Pocket and the DJI OSMO Mobile 2 from the perspective of which one to buy. Obviously you can buy both but this comparison hopefully helps you to determine which one is your best bet to get first!  ][/url]

Hope this helps someone out there, it was tough to compare but there is definitely an answer in there depending on what you're trying to accomplish. Pro, cons to each one etc.
2018-11-29
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Well they two are completely different thing, as the OM2 is a phone gimbal while the OP is more like a action/gimbal/handheld camera, one is buying a gimbal for phone and anther one is buying a small but compatible camera
2018-11-29
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Btw great comparison, keep it up
2018-11-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice comparison.
2018-11-29
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi Risharde, thank you for sharing your video comparison. Cheers!
2018-11-30
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Excellent comparison
2018-11-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Thanks for your view some makes sense some makes no sense.

Regarding space on your phone for an app, surely using your phone as a camera it has a huge drag on your phone as against a SD card.
Regarding Camera and being able to change your phone for a new Camera, if your looking for a better camera then Osmo or Osmo+ you can change for much better professional camera and lens
Regarding stabilizing gimbal on Pocket is very similar to your Mavic Air yet you expect it to be stabilized flying through the sky in wind, so I don’t think stability will be a problem
Osmo Pocket you can use trackpad on app on your phone just like Osmo +
Regarding price well I sympathize with you living in an area where heavy duties and taxes are your burden.
Regarding the camera, it shoots DNG RAW as well as jpeg

While mobile is great it can be intrusive to those not expecting to be filmed and I think Pocket will be a lot less intrusive.

And while mobile let’s you use your phone as camera, it actually stops you using your phone as a phone.

Mobile is a great tool, but it’s different tool I believe than the pocket so hard to compare, I believe one of the biggest difference is size mobile is not small it’s a lot bigger than small camcorders.
2018-11-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Issue I see against Pocket Osmo for those who like to use their SmartPhones as cameras (vlogging, selfies, snapshots, etc.) is transferring video files from Pocket Osmo to SmartPhones.
2018-11-30
Use props
Risharde
lvl.2
Trinidad and Tobago

jacksonnai Posted at 11-29 21:18
Well they two are completely different thing, as the OM2 is a phone gimbal while the OP is more like a action/gimbal/handheld camera, one is buying a gimbal for phone and anther one is buying a small but compatible camera

I totally agree with what you are saying and while this is an apples or oranges issue, many people will have that exact dilemma on which one they should select as the priority
2018-11-30
Use props
Risharde
lvl.2
Trinidad and Tobago

Btw great comparison, keep it up

Thanks jacksonnai! Really appreciate it, I'm in the process of doing another video on this topic but in a different order, hopefully it should be out by the end of the day. I'll be comparing the 2 in terms of both of their advantages and disadvantages to make it less confusing for those who didn't like this video. I decided to do the video since I couldn't determine whether I wanted to buy the OSMO Pocket (mostly because of price point and need).
2018-11-30
Use props
Risharde
lvl.2
Trinidad and Tobago

Thanks Montfrooij, really appreciate! As I just told jacksonnai, I'm working on another video that will do the comparison from the perspective of advantages comparisons first and then disadvantage comparisons. Hopefully it will help others out there and help those who didn't like this first video. Thanks for posting back with your feedback!
2018-11-30
Use props
Risharde
lvl.2
Trinidad and Tobago

DJI Gamora Posted at 11-30 02:09
Hi Risharde, thank you for sharing your video comparison. Cheers!

Thanks DJI Gamora! Really appreciate it, another different comparison coming soon!
2018-11-30
Use props
Risharde
lvl.2
Trinidad and Tobago

A CW Posted at 11-30 03:17
Excellent comparison

Thank you A CW, really appreciate, look out for the next video coming very soon!
2018-11-30
Use props
Risharde
lvl.2
Trinidad and Tobago

hallmark007 Posted at 11-30 05:23
Thanks for your view some makes sense some makes no sense.

Regarding space on your phone for an app, surely using your phone as a camera it has a huge drag on your phone as against a SD card.

Hi hallmark007, thank you for your feedback, sorry some of the comments in the video did not make sense to you. Reading through your feedback

I currently run a legacy samsung (S6) and there isn't a huge drag on the phone at all when I record. In fact, if I am not mistaken, the nand that is built in is quite fast for recording. I assume you would be able to achieve similar speeds with a good SD Card but I have no problems whatsoever recording directly to the phone. What phone are you using in which you may be experiencing this problem?

Thank you for letting me know about the OSMO and OSMO+, I don't have any experience with them and I also got the impression they were older products as well. It's good to know the cameras can be interchanged but also keep in mind that having a camera vs having a good phone that can have more features than a camera should also be considered. Having the S6 means not just having a camera but also a decent device that does more than just recording video.

Stabilization comparison between the pocket and the mavic air was not meant to be a disadvantage. In fact, I was only comparing that to say that both do an awesome job at stabilization.

Personal opinion on trackpad is that the physical trackpad is easier for me to operate especially since I can do everything with one hand instead of 2 (assuming one hand needs to be on the app, and the other holding the Pocket - 2 hands)

Mobile point, I understand, totally agree there, good point, but at least you don't lose having a phone forever haha

I actually am quite tempted to buy the pocket considering I like to move around a lot and the pocket seems to be a decent sized device to take along in my pocket

I really appreciate your comments, your points are definitely valid points for sure and you've got me thinking so I really appreciate it!
2018-11-30
Use props
Risharde
lvl.2
Trinidad and Tobago

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 11-30 07:35
Issue I see against Pocket Osmo for those who like to use their SmartPhones as cameras (vlogging, selfies, snapshots, etc.) is transferring video files from Pocket Osmo to SmartPhones.

Hi HedgeTrimmer, thanks for your comment, that is indeed an excellent point!! Good catch!!! I am wondering if the direct connection feature allows the transfer, I think they were advertising that the phone can be connected directly to the Pocket via a port so I suspect they may have something in the making for that if it isn't already a feature
2018-11-30
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Risharde Posted at 11-30 08:34
Thank you A CW, really appreciate, look out for the next video coming very soon!

Look forward to it
2018-11-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Risharde Posted at 11-30 08:43
Hi hallmark007, thank you for your feedback, sorry some of the comments in the video did not make sense to you. Reading through your feedback

I currently run a legacy samsung (S6) and there isn't a huge drag on the phone at all when I record. In fact, if I am not mistaken, the nand that is built in is quite fast for recording. I assume you would be able to achieve similar speeds with a good SD Card but I have no problems whatsoever recording directly to the phone. What phone are you using in which you may be experiencing this problem?

I think my point is that they are for different uses and I think this will become apparent when we see more using them, I also believe they will be used more often because they are so small and discreet.

Yes I have the Osmo orignal, I can change the camera on it, if I had an inspire 1 or 2 I could use the camera from them on my Osmo and I have already got a Zenmuse 1 which is a fitting I can replace my Camera on my Osmo for a mobile phone to be used, it’s is then the same as Osmo mobile, I can also add tripod, fitting for bicycle car helmet jacket etc.

Regarding selfie and them being on phones, yes they can save to your phone and SD card.

One last thing might help with app for you, for small fee you can use an app called Movie Pro, this is an exceptional app that works with Osmo and Osmo mobile, it is so far advanced than djigo app with so many more settings features, I use it 90% of time when using my Osmo or Osmo mobile, check it out you’ll wonder why you ever used djigo app.

Good luck .
2018-11-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Risharde Posted at 11-30 08:45
Hi HedgeTrimmer, thanks for your comment, that is indeed an excellent point!! Good catch!!! I am wondering if the direct connection feature allows the transfer, I think they were advertising that the phone can be connected directly to the Pocket via a port so I suspect they may have something in the making for that if it isn't already a feature

For me, I can deal with transfer by microSD card or cable (or even wireless - an option sold separtely).  That is assuming software / firmware work...
However, there are people who can't or won't.  Some have enough trouble simply using their SmartPhones.  
2018-11-30
Use props
Risharde
lvl.2
Trinidad and Tobago

Hey guys, so I refined the last video into a new one which is hopefully a little more organized, hope it meets your approval regarding the science behind the decision

2018-11-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

There will be no problems downloading photos/videos to phone.

https://www.dji.com/mimo
2018-12-1
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Risharde Posted at 11-30 19:45
Hey guys, so I refined the last video into a new one which is hopefully a little more organized, hope it meets your approval regarding the science behind the decision

Hey guys, I hope this "buyers guide" video will help you to determine if the OSMO Pocket is right for you, or the OSMO Mobile 2 as an alternative. In this video, I refined it a bit to show the 2 gimbals advantages side by side before showing their disadvantages. I hope this will help someone out there who's having the challenge of deciding between the two!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caBhj71oMfI

For some reason, when I play video the sound is out of sync.

Suggestion for future review videos.  Shorten length or have a synopsis section for video.  
In today's information overload world, people tend to jump around.  Friend in marketing was recently pointing out that they have only a few seconds to capture someones attention.  And even though captured, a very brief time to make case for buying.  Else person jumps to another webpage or website.
2018-12-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Risharde Posted at 11-30 08:32
Thanks Montfrooij, really appreciate! As I just told jacksonnai, I'm working on another video that will do the comparison from the perspective of advantages comparisons first and then disadvantage comparisons. Hopefully it will help others out there and help those who didn't like this first video. Thanks for posting back with your feedback!

You're welcome!
Looking forward
2018-12-1
Use props
Luca Rubino
lvl.4
Flight distance : 711512 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Well they two are completely different thing, as the OM2 is a phone gimbal while the OP is more like a action/gimbal/handheld camera, one is buying a gimbal for phone and anther one is buying a small but compatible camera

Well, I already sold my OM2 to get this new OP. I don't know why you think they are different products. I need a product to get nice handheld footage in my trips. IQ from my iPhone XS and this OP, I think is so close. Do you want to save money, but bring with you a big piece of gear? Everytime you want to use it, you need to mount your phone on it, and not just plug it. Or spend more, but have a pocket version of everything I told before, and if you want to use a big screen, you have to plug in and nothing more? Money vs versatility and portability. Have both, is useless. So they are comparable.
2018-12-1
Use props
djiuser_24TwJgS2ICIP
New

India

10 to 15 days after payment...
2018-12-3
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-12-10
Use props
Todd Harper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 180669 ft
United States

El Diablo Posted at 12-10 02:57
1st of all, I don't see you using the osmo pocket so your conclusions might be wrong. Also, the Osmo Mobile 2 is (as stated) only a gimbal, the final image quality depends on the phone used.

Exactly. Really the only comparison that can be done in this case is how each of the gimbals themselves fair against one another. Then leave out the camera part.
2018-12-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules