External Mic Adapter Same as USB-C > 3.5mm?
12Next >
19309 62 2018-11-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_useAQR0LqmBy
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Recently bought an Osmo Mobile 2 for my phone and have a USB C > 3.5mm adapter for the Rode Video Micro which works great with my Huawei Mate 20 Pro.

However, it is bulky to carry and annoying to have phone out of action for photos/drone whenever in the gimbal, so the Osmo Pocket is quite appealing.

I know the DJI adapter isn't availble right away for the Osmo Pocket, but is it quite likely to be a standard USBC > 3.5mm adapter like already on the market for phones, or will it be something else?

Also, know there's no tripod attachment, will there be a straightforward way to mount a mic? Will i need to do something awful like superglue a hotshoe onto it?!
2018-11-30
Use props
PG73
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I'm surprised DJI haven't made an attachment for the bottom of the Osmo Pocket that has a mic port and hotshoe, so we can attach a small mic and point it in the direction we want.
2018-11-30
Use props
djiuser_useAQR0LqmBy
lvl.2
United Kingdom

PG73 Posted at 11-30 04:44
I'm surprised DJI haven't made an attachment for the bottom of the Osmo Pocket that has a mic port and hotshoe, so we can attach a small mic and point it in the direction we want.

Assume theres a GoPro mount which can attach to that accessory which can mount a hotshoe?
2018-11-30
Use props
PG73
lvl.4
United Kingdom

djiuser_useAQR0LqmBy Posted at 11-30 04:52
Assume theres a GoPro mount which can attach to that accessory which can mount a hotshoe?

Ah yes, that could hopefully work, just hard to picture how it'll all attach to each other and still being able to hold and control the thing - time will tell.
2018-11-30
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for bringing this query to us. The 3.5 mm adapter is a USB-type C, you may refer to this link for more information. As of the time being, the 3.5mm adapter is currently not available. Also, the new Osmo does not support a Tripod. Kindly visit the website for future updates. Thank you for your support.

2018-11-30
Use props
djiuser_useAQR0LqmBy
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 11-30 08:17
Hi, thank you for bringing this query to us. The 3.5 mm adapter is a USB-type C, you may refer to this link for more information. As of the time being, the 3.5mm adapter is currently not available. We will update the website as soon as the availability updates. Thank you for your support.

[view_image]

Cool. Guessing a normal USBC > 3.5mm one will work. The one I've got has another port so you can still charge the phone with it plugged in. Wonder if that will work...
2018-11-30
Use props
PG73
lvl.4
United Kingdom

djiuser_useAQR0LqmBy Posted at 11-30 08:44
Cool. Guessing a normal USBC > 3.5mm one will work. The one I've got has another port so you can still charge the phone with it plugged in. Wonder if that will work...

That's interesting, would be good if that does work with the Osmo Pocket. I'm assuming you already use it with another device and there's no issues with audio quality while charging at the same time?
2018-11-30
Use props
djiuser_useAQR0LqmBy
lvl.2
United Kingdom

PG73 Posted at 11-30 08:53
That's interesting, would be good if that does work with the Osmo Pocket. I'm assuming you already use it with another device and there's no issues with audio quality while charging at the same time?

yeh it's fine, just a mess of cables.
2018-11-30
Use props
DroneNewsGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 253 ft
  • >>>
Canada

The 3.5mm audio adapter plugs into the USB-C port on the bottom of the Osmo Pocket, not the 'accessory port' on the back of the device.
2018-11-30
Use props
DroneNewsGuy
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

The 3.5mm audio adapter plugs into the USB-C port on the bottom of the Osmo Pocket, not the 'accessory port' on the back of the device. Hope this helps.
2018-11-30
Use props
DroneNewsGuy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Ahead of our very comprehensive review, I can tell you that you're going to be very surprised by the audio quality of the mic on the Osmo Pocket.  I don't know how DJI did it, but it's seriously decent stuff.
2018-11-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Yes it is standard 3.5mm for both mic and ear phones. I think third party companies are going to have a field day make accessories for this camera, which is great, hopefully competitive prices.
2018-12-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 11-30 08:17
Hi, thank you for bringing this query to us. The 3.5 mm adapter is a USB-type C, you may refer to this link for more information. As of the time being, the 3.5mm adapter is currently not available. Also, the new Osmo does not support a Tripod. Kindly visit the website for future updates. Thank you for your support.

[view_image]

Thanks for the link Gamora
2018-12-1
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

A CW Posted at 12-1 04:15
Thanks for the link Gamora

No worries, A CW.
2018-12-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

2018-12-1
Use props
KerryG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11736709 ft
  • >>>
United States

DroneNewsGuy Posted at 11-30 20:51
Ahead of our very comprehensive review, I can tell you that you're going to be very surprised by the audio quality of the mic on the Osmo Pocket.  I don't know how DJI did it, but it's seriously decent stuff.

You would, so far, be the only person with this opinion.
2018-12-6
Use props
francanna
New

Italy

The question is what kind of 3.5 mm plug will it be... a TRRS or a TRRRS? This is important in order to know if the typical microphones for cameras and videocameras, which have TRRS connector (2 black circles), will work. Or if we are required to buy "smartphone" microphones (jack with 3 black circles). Normally the smartphone USB-c to 3.5 mm adaptors provide TRRRS connections and Camera microphones won't work there.
2018-12-9
Use props
micholix_1
lvl.2
Austria

Do you think, the OSMO DJI FM-15 Flexi Microphone, will work with the Osmo Pocket mic adaptor?
The OSMO DJI FM-15 Flexi Microphone does have TRS (2 black rings)..
2018-12-10
Use props
KerryG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11736709 ft
  • >>>
United States

micholix_1 Posted at 12-10 02:40
Do you think, the OSMO DJI FM-15 Flexi Microphone, will work with the Osmo Pocket mic adaptor?
The OSMO DJI FM-15 Flexi Microphone does have TRS (2 black rings)..

When DJI's mic adapter comes out we will know more. I have tested several USB-C -> Mic adapters and cannot get any mic to work yet.
2018-12-13
Use props
Satureyes
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524908 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

My Apple USB-C to 3.5mm dongle and videomic pro didn’t work at all.

Looks like it may need the DJI dongle so the Pocket j ones there’s something plugged in there.
2018-12-13
Use props
micholix_1
lvl.2
Austria

I allready have an USB-C to 3,5 mm adaptor and a external mic laying here on my desk to try, but still waiting for the OP to deliver.

Also ordered PGYTech ND/PL filters and CPL filter at amazon, they are on the way too!
2018-12-14
Use props
micholix_1
lvl.2
Austria

micholix_1 Posted at 12-14 02:49
I allready have an USB-C to 3,5 mm adaptor and a external mic laying here on my desk to try, but still waiting for the OP to deliver.

Also ordered PGYTech ND/PL filters and CPL filter at amazon, they are on the way too!

My OP arrived today, but the mic on the usb-c to 3.5 mm adaptor does not work! It would have been a great gaget, as the conector is 90 deg angled and you have an extra usb-c charging port on it too.

Edit: here is a Picture of the adaptor, it's not working with the OP, but just for you to see, that the kind of how it's made, it would be nice...
mic adapter.jpg
2018-12-17
Use props
iliahi
lvl.1
United States

Osmo Pocket's software seems to need an update for using an external microphone. Without this function in software, there appears to be no way any USB C adapter to TRRS (typical) would work. I find this to also be the problem with some native camera applications in Android - the work around being to use the Cinema FV-5 app, which allows choices of using an external mic, Bluetooth mic, or the phone's built-in mic.
2018-12-18
Use props
iliahi
lvl.1
United States

As a follow up on the presumed mic software issue: Please, DJI, save us time & grief, and release even a beta-version of the mic software to allow us to use our own USB C to 3.5mm adapters!
2018-12-18
Use props
djiuser_bFCCfXWrOBXk
lvl.2
United States

I was almost convinced that we weren't going to see support for external mics until OSMO released a new firmware version. However, I stumbled across this video which would suggest that the USB-C to 3.5mm adapter from GoPro is compatible with the Pocket. Before I plop down $50 for the GoPro adapter, has anyone else had any luck getting external audio into the Pocket?

2018-12-22
Use props
Vermifuge
lvl.3
United States

The Rode sounded worse than the OP internal microphone ???
2018-12-22
Use props
C.Films
lvl.2
Canada

PG73 Posted at 11-30 04:44

My hope is that Rode will make a VideoMic Me for USB-C. That way you can just attach the mic to the bottom of the camera, and flip it around depending on what you’re filming.
2018-12-22
Use props
fans1a45612e
lvl.4
Flight distance : 600479 ft
Germany

is it possible to get from a external adapter a line input signal in the osmo pocket ?
2018-12-23
Use props
stp
lvl.1
Flight distance : 46877 ft
Hong Kong

djiuser_bFCCfXWrOBXk Posted at 12-22 10:53
I was almost convinced that we weren't going to see support for external mics until OSMO released a new firmware version. However, I stumbled across this video which would suggest that the USB-C to 3.5mm adapter from GoPro is compatible with the Pocket. Before I plop down $50 for the GoPro adapter, has anyone else had any luck getting external audio into the Pocket?

https://youtu.be/aiHOSnUSGXw

I have this GoPro audio adapter, it is not working.

the Osmo Pocket still picks up the sound, not the external mic.
2018-12-23
Use props
Webcruise
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

I guess this feature will be onlocked when DJIs adapter will be released
2018-12-23
Use props
djiuser_bFCCfXWrOBXk
lvl.2
United States

stp Posted at 12-23 11:19
I have this GoPro audio adapter, it is not working.

the Osmo Pocket still picks up the sound, not the external mic.

Awesome, just what I wanted to know. Thanks for confirming!
2018-12-23
Use props
iliahi
lvl.1
United States

Looks like the good people of Shenzhen figured it out and have a microphone adapter for the Osmo Pocket. Anybody try this? https://www.ebay.com/itm/113516199748
2019-1-15
Use props
Upscaleman
lvl.3
United States

There's dozens of "mic tests" with the OP on YouTube and NONE of them work.
2019-1-15
Use props
lummox
lvl.4
United States

Upscaleman Posted at 1-15 11:41
There's dozens of "mic tests" with the OP on YouTube and NONE of them work.

except that there is one new video by dcrainmaker - using a pre-release DJI dongle - that shows it does work.

Unfortunately the tester only used a mono mic, so stereo operation is unconfirmed..
2019-1-15
Use props
djiuser_taf5njizikVx
lvl.1
United States

micholix_1 Posted at 2018-12-14 02:49
I allready have an USB-C to 3,5 mm adaptor and a external mic laying here on my desk to try, but still waiting for the OP to deliver.

Also ordered PGYTech ND/PL filters and CPL filter at amazon, they are on the way too!

Have you received your PGYTech filters yet?  If so, what do you think of them?
2019-1-18
Use props
zoom
lvl.3
Flight distance : 97402 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Heres another USB-C  to 3.5mm Audio with support for OP looks like its also a USB-C splitter
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Type-C-To-3-5mm-Audio-Adapter-External-Wireless-Microphone-For-DJI-Osmo-POCKET-A/392206795725?hash=item5b5158c3cd:m:mMIp86jAQic70F5sEaicBZA:rk:5:pf:1

OP USB-C Audio.jpg
2019-1-18
Use props
micholix_1
lvl.2
Austria

djiuser_taf5njizikVx Posted at 1-18 15:20
Have you received your PGYTech filters yet?  If so, what do you think of them?

Yes, but i had not the possibility to test them, because the weather here in austria was rainy/cloudy and than it started to snow and after it rained again... it‘s gray in gray most of the time!
Quality of filters looks pritty good to me and they have little noches around, so you can grab them well for install-/deinstall.
The set i‘ve ordered are ND/PL filters, these have fix PL, so you can not change the intensity of PL and i have ordered a CPL too, as a lens protector filter.

As soon the weather becomes better, i‘ll do sme oudoor tests.
2019-1-22
Use props
Greg Paschak
lvl.1
Canada

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-11-30 08:17

[view_image]

Will it be possible to use the usb-c to 3.5mm adapter with the wireless stand for the Osmo Pocket? That is, attaching the adapter to the usb-c port on the back of the wireless stand.
2019-2-2
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Greg Paschak Posted at 2-2 18:28
Will it be possible to use the usb-c to 3.5mm adapter with the wireless stand for the Osmo Pocket? That is, attaching the adapter to the usb-c port on the back of the wireless stand.

Hi there Greg, thank you for reaching out. With regards to your question as of the moment, we don't have any official documentation or further testing from our developer if this set up will work. If ever this will be posted on our website especially on the release note of the product. I hope you understand. Thank you for your support.
2019-2-4
Use props
fansaa4f502d
New
Japan

Any news on the official adapter?
2019-2-6
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules