H.265 and DaVinci Resolve 15
53542 29 2018-11-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RedWolf18
lvl.3
Flight distance : 659580 ft
United Kingdom

Possibly not the best place to post, but hoping someone here may point me in the right direction. Brief background, today for first time I flew my MP2 in D-Log .H265, MP4, just a few small files of a minutes flight. Copied files to my reasonably powerful windows 10 i7, 64 gig, 2 TB SSD machine. PC didnt recognise or play files, and likely no codec for H265, but not a problem so will grab that later.
The real unexpected dissapoint was I can't do anything with H265 in Davinci Resolve 15! The file icons are red when imported, with the words Media Offline. I assumed Davinci Resolve 15 cannot handle H265 up until a search online revealed many using Davinci Resolve 15 for D-Log .H265, MP4 for post, grading etc...

Can anyone advise what I might be doing wrong? Many searches online have not yet revealed an answer, so thought better to ask here as many of you are seasoned filmakers and some for sure using Davinci Resolve 15.

Thanks for looking, and please help if you can. Feeling slightly deflated after all the excitement of first attempt.

Best regards - Simon
2018-11-30
Use props
rutacrew
lvl.3
Flight distance : 335413 ft
United Kingdom

I had similar problem on my Win 10 but with MOV. MP4 works ok and I have only 16 memory.
2018-11-30
Use props
theothernt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 436171 ft
Ireland

When dealing with 10bit footage (ie. D-Log), it looks you need the Studio edition of Davinci Resolve 15 (hopefully another user can confirm this?)
2018-11-30
Use props
poetoe
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3181066 ft
Switzerland

free version davinci resolve can handle dlog-m footage. only issue is lens correction via fusion, makes video sooooo slow, and rendering takes forever, so I bought final cut pro for 300 bucks just because i could not stand the lens distortion anymore.   i use an iMac i5 2TB so i shoot in .mov.  your computer is certainly not the issue.

I remember that I had same issue with "media offline" in red letters (i believe) popping up occasionally, but don't really remember what the issue was.  I only know that after trying again or closing and opening again davinci resolve, the issue was gone.  sorry not really helpful.  did you try to close and open davinci resolve?  and i also assume that you saved your footage from SD card on your computer and then imported from there into davinci resolve.  i also assume that you use correct import settings in davinci with codec h.265.
2018-11-30
Use props
Daroga
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

As poetoe confirms, the free version of Davinci Resolve 15 (I'm using 15.1.2.8) works fine with Windows 10 with a few caveats:

Resolve

Resolve

I first tried installing Quicktime for Windows 10, which can be downloaded here -> Quicktime Download, to ensure MOV files could be played, but that wasn't the trick....
Windows 10 needs HEVC extensions to decode H.265. There's a 99 cent version on the Microsoft store here -> HEVC Extensions paid download. But wait!!!
There's also a free version of the extensions called HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer that can be downloaded here ->  HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer Download. (These are both Microsoft download links. Take care to not download extensions from unsafe third-party websites). The difference between the two is "The free one will only work if your device already provides a way to process HEVC-encoded content. High-end video-processing devices released in 2015 and most (but not necessarily all) such devices sold in 2016 and beyond should support this."

So try the free one first - it will most likely work. If not, fork out the 0.99 and download the paid version. The Mavic 2 Pro LUT also works, but as peotoe confirms, Lens Correction is a Studio feature.
With my hardware, I run out of GPU ram if the clip is very long. Tweaking the Resolve playback "Proxy Mode" to reduce the playback resolution may help with limited GPU ram. Also setting the "Render Cache" to Smart mode can improve performance... These tweaks only affect playback performance and not encoding configurations...

Cache

Cache

Hope this helps!

Edit: Adding to RickThePoolGuy's response below for info only -> Davinci Resolve Studio IS reasonably priced @ $299 (USD). You may download both the free verion and the full featured Studio version from Blackmagic Designs here -> Davinci Resolve Downloads (scroll to the bottom of the page). However, you purchase your Studio license from resellers; either local or online such as B&H or Adorama. Here's at link for Studio licensing resellers -> Blackmagic Design resellers...

Additionally, as an added benefit, your Mavic 2 Pro User Manual includes full information on applying Lens Correction with Resolve 15 Studio version. There's also a DLog-M to Rec709 LUT that works well in both the Free version and the Studio version available here -> DLog-M to Rec709 LUT

2018-11-30
Use props
RickThePoolGuy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3527 ft
United States

Just trust me and fork out the money for the studio version. I used the free version for my phantom 3 (h.264) for a long time and it worked perfectly.  I had nothing but trouble with the free version once I got my mavic 2. I tried a dozen different things and could never acheive an acceptable reliability.  H.265 is flawless with the studio version. You dont need the aggrevation in your life.
2018-11-30
Use props
JAgraphics
lvl.4
United Kingdom

poetoe Posted at 11-30 07:48
free version davinci resolve can handle dlog-m footage. only issue is lens correction via fusion, makes video sooooo slow, and rendering takes forever, so I bought final cut pro for 300 bucks just because i could not stand the lens distortion anymore.   i use an iMac i5 2TB so i shoot in .mov.  your computer is certainly not the issue.

I remember that I had same issue with "media offline" in red letters (i believe) popping up occasionally, but don't really remember what the issue was.  I only know that after trying again or closing and opening again davinci resolve, the issue was gone.  sorry not really helpful.  did you try to close and open davinci resolve?  and i also assume that you saved your footage from SD card on your computer and then imported from there into davinci resolve.  i also assume that you use correct import settings in davinci with codec h.265.

FCPX is only available on the MAC,  Resolve is on MAC & PC and the Studio version is about the same price and as FCPX

I use FCPX on a MAC but have downloaded the free Resolve.
2018-12-1
Use props
RedWolf18
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Thank you so much everyone! I think now I am on the correct path as a result of  your very helpful responses.

Not knowing the ins and outs of Davinci Resolve 15 (Free Version) I had wrongly assumed it would use or have it's own codec, and after reading further within this thread I installed Windows codec, restarted Resolve and hey presto, it worked albeit not as I had hoped. Hover scrub, playback etc was jittery at best so had to go down proxy route which was surprising as my machine is quite powerful and had no such issues with Premiere. Further I found as Poetoe referenced lens correction is a total nightmare when rendering, soooo slow!

Further reading and searching suggests the free version of DaVinci Resolve 15 uses Windows codec software rendering and does not utilise GPU which likely goes someway to explain why everything is so slow, but if my reading is correct, the paid for version does utilise GPU. My next step is to purchase DaVinci Resolve and give it a go as I am weary of Adobe ever increasing cost of subscription models, and with another price hike on the horizon. I quite like the idea of Nodes within DaVinci Resolve, and likely I will get used to that way of working, and besides something new to learn.

I would be interested in any comments where members have noted the difference in performance or features as a result of going from DaVinci Resolve 15 free to paid for?

I found this video a few moments ago re free and paid for...

Big thanks again, to everyone. Cheers

2018-12-2
Use props
LifeAquatic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 287635 ft
Canada

I am also using Davinci Resolve to edit footage from my Mavic 2 Pro, with the following settings :

Polar Pro Filter ND-16 PL

HQ 4K - H.265 - D-Log M

1/50 shutter - 25 FPS (also tested with 24 and 30 FPS- 1/60 shutter)

Color Grading in Davinci Resolve using DLog-M to Rec.709 LUT provided by DJI

I end up getting this pulse every 1.2s on the scopes, as you can see in the following screen capture :

iMac Pro 3 GHz Intel Xeon W (10 Core)
64 Go 2666 MHz DDR4
AMD Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB GPU
2 TB SSD + 8 TB G-RAID Thunderbolt 3
macOS Mojave10.14.1 (18B75)
Davinci Resolve 15.2.0.033

DJI Mavic Pro 2
iPhone XS

2018-12-3
Use props
Grumps
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16610876 ft
United States

RedWolf18 Posted at 12-2 02:17
Thank you so much everyone! I think now I am on the correct path as a result of  your very helpful responses.

Not knowing the ins and outs of Davinci Resolve 15 (Free Version) I had wrongly assumed it would use or have it's own codec, and after reading further within this thread I installed Windows codec, restarted Resolve and hey presto, it worked albeit not as I had hoped. Hover scrub, playback etc was jittery at best so had to go down proxy route which was surprising as my machine is quite powerful and had no such issues with Premiere. Further I found as Poetoe referenced lens correction is a total nightmare when rendering, soooo slow!

The free version of Resolve does use the GPU, but only one. The Studio version can use multiple GPUs if your system has them.
2018-12-3
Use props
RedWolf18
lvl.3
United Kingdom

LifeAquatic Posted at 12-3 13:17
I am also using Davinci Resolve to edit footage from my Mavic 2 Pro, with the following settings :

Unfortunately I am not yet enough knowledgeable to answer that question, but thus far I'm finding this forum invaluable re advice from seasoned participants.
2018-12-3
Use props
RedWolf18
lvl.3
United Kingdom

LifeAquatic Posted at 12-3 13:17

Unfortunately I am not yet enough knowledgeable to answer that question, but thus far I'm finding this forum invaluable re advice from seasoned participants.
2018-12-3
Use props
RedWolf18
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Looks like this forum thread has spat out its dummy!! I post reply to one thread,  and post goes haywire replying to myself, and no means to correct.
2018-12-3
Use props
RedWolf18
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Thank you Grumps for insight. Keeping it short, thread is broken.
2018-12-3
Use props
Bigz
lvl.2
France

Hi!

Thanks all for this thread.

I have an issue with H265 on my PC (config is fine): when I want to ad some H265 file of my MP2 in Free Da Vinci Resolve (Version 15.2.2.007) , the media appears "Offline" (i can't even add it in timeline).  It's like a incompatibility...
I can read this videos on Windows 10 (thanks to HEVC extension) without any issue.

I don't understand, and I have try a lot of things... some ideas? So desperate...
2019-1-7
Use props
TomekM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 348566 ft
United States

I posted this solution on the Blackmagic Forum, but here it is again...
I use the latest Win 10 and the latest non-paid Davinci Resolve v15.2.4. I can confirm the latest non-paid/free DR v15.2.4 doesn't work with DLog-M 10bit H.265 MP4 on Windows 10 !out of box!. The magic is, you have to download a special Windows update from Windows Store. The app is called HEVC Video Extensions which is from Microsoft to give *any* applications on Windows 10 the ability to open and play H.265 files but MS charges you $1 for this.
After installing this update and restarting DR v15, no more errors.
However, please remember processing H.265 requires power and memory. If your PC is slow this may be very painful experience.
2019-2-16
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

This is a note on TomekM post#16.

I found the HEVC Video Extension  by Microsoft for FREE here.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hevc-video-extensions-from-device-manufacturer/9n4wgh0z6vhq?activetab=pivot%3Aoverviewtab

2019-2-16
Use props
edeone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164685 ft
Germany

LifeAquatic Posted at 2018-12-3 13:17

intra frame flicker, use "neat video" to remove it. (but costs 250 € for resolve) is also a guide on the website
2019-2-16
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

The code.c extension as mention needs to be installed.

Also Depending on your hardware, H.265 maybe very compute intensive to work with in realtime on the graphics card (FP compute) or CPU intensive.  

If ur using Intel iGPU (Intel integrated graphics) need last 2 generations of Intel CPUs to be able to do any realtime work in HEVC (H.265).  Anything before 8xxx series cannot use QSV for H.265 realtime work Including basic encoding functions and purely a decoder.

If using AMD integrated graphics (APU).  Even the $55  Athlon 200GE can do realtime work in HEVC (H.265) because Vega iGPU.

If using Nvidia GPU to do realtime HEVC (H.265) work need at least GTX 1050 or better (1080 and higher has dual NVNEC)

If using AMD GPU's you can do realtime work in HEVC (H.265)in RX 400 cards and up no issue.  
2019-2-17
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69767 ft
United Kingdom

I have the free version of DR 15, windows 10, 16 gigs of ram, nvidia 970 gtx with 4 gigs of vram and I've never had a problem working the H265 dlogm.
2019-2-17
Use props
SE-AKKA
lvl.2
Flight distance : 465843 ft
Sweden

I have the free version of Davinci Resolve (15.2.4), Windows 10 64-bit, CPU I7-6700, 16 GB RAM, GPU NVIDIA GTX 970, Samsung SSD 500 GB. I have bought and installed the payed version of Microsofts HEVC video extension. My footages from my M2P are recorded with H.265, 50 fps, sometimes I select DLOG and sometimes not. The format is 1920x1080 since 4K recording fills my disk and M2P is not supporting 4K/50fps. When I add the files to the mediapool they are RED (Media Offline). Does Davinci not support FHD format? Can anyone tell me? I have also tried the new Corel Videostudio 2019. It is no problem with the H.265 codec, but it crashes when the rendering uses the GPU.
2019-2-24
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Daroga Posted at 2018-11-30 10:52
As poetoe confirms, the free version of Davinci Resolve 15 (I'm using 15.1.2.8) works fine with Windows 10 with a few caveats:
[view_image]

it worked lmao
2019-4-18
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Does anyone know if you record in H.265 but then Render at H.264, is it like you have recorded in H.264??
2019-4-18
Use props
djiuser_Iyi7nHq9Eohl
lvl.1

China

To bring (4K) H.265 videos to Davinci Resolve for editing, the easy workaround is to transcode the H.265 to Davinci Resolve editing-friendly formats such as DNxHD. To process file conversion, a third party converter software is required. Considering the ease of use and pretty good output quality, we would recommend UFUSoft Video Converter for Mac.
2019-8-25
Use props
djiuser_Iyi7nHq9Eohl
lvl.1

China

http://www.xavc-converter-tips.com/how-to-import-and-edit-h-265-hevc-in-premiere-pro/
2019-8-25
Use props
djiuser_ueAL9V7KA7Jv
lvl.1

I use iDealshare VideoGo to convert H.265 to DaVinci Resolve  more supported video format.
2019-9-9
Use props
djiuser_ueAL9V7KA7Jv
lvl.1

Avdshare Video Converter also works great to convert various video files to Resolve more supported video format.
2019-9-23
Use props
GeeMon
New

Poland

Daroga Posted at 2018-11-30 10:52
[view_image]

I have just made an account here, to thank @Daroga for his reply about HEVC codec. Although it's been posted a year ago and for version 15, it still solves all the issues in version 16.2. Thank you very much. The free version did a job!
2020-4-23
Use props
izotop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388763 ft

Slovenia

poetoe Posted at 2018-11-30 07:48
free version davinci resolve can handle dlog-m footage. only issue is lens correction via fusion, makes video sooooo slow, and rendering takes forever, so I bought final cut pro for 300 bucks just because i could not stand the lens distortion anymore.   i use an iMac i5 2TB so i shoot in .mov.  your computer is certainly not the issue.

I remember that I had same issue with "media offline" in red letters (i believe) popping up occasionally, but don't really remember what the issue was.  I only know that after trying again or closing and opening again davinci resolve, the issue was gone.  sorry not really helpful.  did you try to close and open davinci resolve?  and i also assume that you saved your footage from SD card on your computer and then imported from there into davinci resolve.  i also assume that you use correct import settings in davinci with codec h.265.

for 300 bucks you could buy full resolve studio version, which contains video and audio editing, and fx ;).
2020-4-28
Use props
chrisdou
New

Russia

DaVinci Resolve supports a wide range of file formats although, 4K and 1080P H.265 footage can't be supported well based on our testing and other users' feedback. To edit H.265/HEVC video in DaVinci Resolve, you need to convert 4K H.265 footage to DaVinci Resolve edit-friendly format such as DNxHD or ProRes first.
2020-9-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules