Follow Focus noise
3216 8 2018-11-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ddrummer1193
lvl.2
United States

Hi Everyone.

I just took delivery of my Ronin-S Follow Focus motor and I have everything installed and functioning great and I just noticed something.

That motor is LOUD! I used to use a shotgun mic on my camera and/or the camera mics just to capture room tone and I can no longer do either because of how LOUD the motor is. It totally overwhelms the mics. Even the shotgun.

So my question is this. How do you guys get great audio while flying your Ronin-S's? Need any tips I can get. I do alot of sound replacing, but I often do documentary types and use the shotgun with great success. Since that is apparently out of the picture now, I do not know my options.
2018-11-30
Use props
Wisdom Tooth
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1535308 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tilta Nucleus-N.
2018-11-30
Use props
ddrummer1193
lvl.2
United States

Wisdom Tooth Posted at 11-30 09:54
Tilta Nucleus-N.

Cute. But i clearly just said what i already own. buying a new follow focus wasn’t on the solution list.
2018-11-30
Use props
Wisdom Tooth
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1535308 ft
  • >>>
United States

ddrummer1193 Posted at 11-30 09:56
Cute. But i clearly just said what i already own. buying a new follow focus wasn’t on the solution list.

You're right, sorry. I myself always use off-mounted recorders, so any camera rig noise isn't picked up. Not sure how you could fix your issue unless you got a way more directional mic?
2018-11-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello there, sorry for the trouble caused by the Focus Follow Motor, may I have a short video of the loud motor noise? We will forward to our engineers to see if it is normal, thank you.
2018-12-2
Use props
DJI-Paul
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41159547 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

It definitely shouldn’t be loud. What lens setup are you using?
2018-12-3
Use props
ddrummer1193
lvl.2
United States

Fuji 16-55mm 2.8 - Sounds like opening a sliding glass door
2018-12-3
Use props
fansd9e9b4f0
New

United States

Was this ever resolved??? I recently went through four different copies that had the same problem. Three ordered from Amazon and one form B&H.  Each time the focus motor was way too loud to be of any real use. Very frustrating to say the least. When compared to the Ronin S motors (which are nice and quiet) the focus motor makes a horrible hissing sound when in use.  Didn’t matter what lens I was using... I even tested all copies without a lens and in each case it made the same loud hissing noise when turning. I finally gave up and bought the Tilta Nano.
2019-5-9
Use props
asknet
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17477 ft
Poland

fansd9e9b4f0 Posted at 5-9 20:36
Was this ever resolved??? I recently went through four different copies that had the same problem. Three ordered from Amazon and one form B&H.  Each time the focus motor was way too loud to be of any real use. Very frustrating to say the least. When compared to the Ronin S motors (which are nice and quiet) the focus motor makes a horrible hissing sound when in use.  Didn’t matter what lens I was using... I even tested all copies without a lens and in each case it made the same loud hissing noise when turning. I finally gave up and bought the Tilta Nano.

Hi all
Did DJI ever responded to that problem ?
I run to the same scenario which is making whole solution not usable
2019-5-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules