Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New Drone Combo bought with old batteries - Old Stock Sold ?
1243 8 2018-11-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Monkee
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7149 ft
United States

Hi all,

I bought a Spark brand new online, I've had it a week and I really love it, however when I was updating the firmware on everything I noticed the batteries are reporting a production date of  June 2017.

I have activated the DJI Care Refresh, and registered the drone as new, and both the batteries were showing they had never been charged before, hence everything seems fine but have I really been sent a drone that was manufactured over a year ago ?

Has anyone else experienced this ? My concern is that the drone won't be the latest hardware issue, and the batteries may not 'live' as long if they have been in hibernation for nearly 18 months.

Best regards,
Dave

2018-11-30
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

New old stock is quite normal in this game.
2018-12-1
Use props
Flighty
Captain
Flight distance : 1977175 ft
Austria

Check the battery retention clips,, old batteries have smaller clips resulting in batteries disconnecting, and falling from from the Spark in flight,, newer batteries have a bigger more solid retention clips....
2018-12-1
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi Monkee, thank you for bringing this query to us. I understand that you are puzzled if you bought with old batteries. Nothing to worry because, although the battery's production date may be earlier than the purchasing date, the maintenance for the battery will not affect the warranty repair service. Hope this clarifies your concern about batteries. Do reach us again if you need help. Dave, thank you for choosing DJI. Fly safe always.
2018-12-1
Use props
Rustic17
Captain
Flight distance : 2716936 ft
United States

If the battery was manufactured in June 2017 I can almost guarantee the clips are small...best you buy the battery retainer.  Upper photo is old clip...lower photo is new and improved clip.
2018-12-1
Use props
Rustic17
Captain
Flight distance : 2716936 ft
United States

Either way, I would always have one of these on to prevent battery loss airborne...which is usually pretty fatal for the Spark.  I am really surprised they are sending out year and a half old batteries in new packages. Did you buy it from DJI???
2018-12-1
Use props
NRRTRAINS 85
Second Officer

United States

how long are the batteries lasting , 10 to 14 is about normal . you can also go into the DJI GO 4 app and see how many times each battery has been charges .
2018-12-1
Use props
Monkee
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7149 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks everyone for the replies and advice, I thought the battery ejection issues were due to wear on the clips, I didn't realize DJI had actually changed the design because of it !

As per the images Rustic17 has posted, my batteries are the 'older' type, hence I have just ordered the retention clip from Amazon (where I originally purchased the drone from) - Thanks for the help

With regards to the flight times, I'm getting around 12 minutes flight time, but I'll keep an eye on this to watch for battery fade, in case it's accelerated due to their age....

One further question for DJI though : As the design of the battery clip has been modified because of this, then this acknowledges a fault in the original design : therefore I have purchased equipment that has been sold by the manufacturer knowing it is faulty. As I have purchased this after you have admitted there is an issue, then the duty is on you to take responsibility for this, so whilst I wouldn't necessarily expect you to recall the batteries and exchange them, is it unreasonable to expect you to provide these clips to anyone that requested them free of charge ?

2018-12-2
Use props
NRRTRAINS 85
Second Officer

United States

Monkee Posted at 12-2 01:02
Thanks everyone for the replies and advice, I thought the battery ejection issues were due to wear on the clips, I didn't realize DJI had actually changed the design because of it !

As per the images Rustic17 has posted, my batteries are the 'older' type, hence I have just ordered the retention clip from Amazon (where I originally purchased the drone from) - Thanks for the help

as for the batteries falling out and DJI sending anyone a battery holder and admitting a fault  in the batteries is not going to happen , even the new batteries if used at some point ( locking tabs ) will ware to some extent , your have the battery holder , use it and fly and have fun .
2018-12-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules