Flight Simulator and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080?
1719 7 2018-12-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Frederic Mawet
lvl.2
Flight distance : 158963 ft
Belgium

Dear dji-Pilots,

I am looking to invest in a new video card. The (very short) shortlist reads:  NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 (not realy the TI version). Does anyone use such a card to run the latest dji Flight Simulator?
The recommended card for FS is a GTX 1080 TI but it's quite hard to get at this moment. I think this is becomming an older card and NVIDIA is pushing towards the newer RTX model. If I understand correctly, the way the card works is quite different and I would like to know if the newer RTX card is properly working with FS. Does FS support the newer "protocol" on the RTX and take full advantage of the power of this card? Any thoughts regarding this are welcome

It would be nice to know what Video Cards you use to run FS?

Thanks in advance for sharing.

Kind regards,
Frederic.

2018-12-1
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

I have the older Nvidia 980 TI, and it runs all the latest games at the hightest settings so far. Sure it will start showing some lag in full 4K, but for the rest, no problem.

Flight simulator is definitely not as graphics intensive (or have the same display quality, for that matter), like for instance, Assasins Creed Origins, The Wither 3, and the latest Tomb Raider, Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Flight Simulator run smooth with FPS of up to 120ps with the 980. Getting more, but on average around 100-120.

Do have the I7 K processor and 24GB ram. I heard from some gamer friends I know that the 2080 is on another level, performance wise. So far not a lot of games to use all that raw processing powers. VR runs smoothly, 4K is a breeze. If it was a tad cheaper, I would definitely buy it.
2018-12-1
Use props
Sim-Y
lvl.4
Flight distance : 75502 ft
United Kingdom

1080ti is more than good enough, the 1080ti performs almost as well as the 2080 for a lot less monies, fwiw.
2018-12-1
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

I run the sim on the 1080 (not TI) at max settings with no lag.
2018-12-1
Use props
Frederic Mawet
lvl.2
Belgium

Thanks a lot for the feed-back!

I only want dji Flight Simulator to run smoothly with high details in the scenery. No other Games will be installed.

Video encoding with DaVinci Resolve will also be running on this computer (older Xeon E3-1245 with 20GB RAM). Maybe later I'll give Premiere Pro a go and see how this works.

The only GTX 1080 Ti cards available here are second hand on eBay. Let's wait for some more reactions here on this topic and I'll have an update later on my final decision.

Cheers,
Frederic.
2018-12-1
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi Frederic, sorry for the late response. For the GeForce RTX 2080, it works with Flight Simulator theoretically. If you encounter any difficulties, feel free to contact us, we'll be here for help.
2018-12-3
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I can run the sim at the highest quality setting using a Nivdia GeForce GTX 660 card. 1920x1200 res.
2018-12-6
Use props
Frederic Mawet
lvl.2
Belgium

Hello dji-Pilots,

Some time ago I started this thread to gather some user experiences about Video Cards and dji's Flight Simulator. First of all I want to thank all of you that replied to this post! I also wanted to give you all a little update on the final setup of the equipment.
Just to make sure that there wouldn't be any compatibility issues the choice came down to an EVGA GeForce GTW 1080 TI. This was mounted in an HP Z240 i7-7700K. The standard 400W PSU had to be upgraded to a 650W version. Since HP doesn't have those kind of PSU's for a Z240 the only option was to go for an regular ATX model (ANTEC EAG PRO 650W). This was a little tricky because some of you that know HP Workstations, they have a different power connector on the system board. Also the standard (non-HP) Stand-By voltage on a regular PSU is 5V and HP needs 12V :-S. I got this sorted out quite easily with a small BUCK DC-DC booster. The HP motherboard didn't like the absence of the PSU FAN rotation speed signal on the new power supply. This resulted in an error message generated by the BIOS at boot. It can be bypassed by pressing F1. To get rid of the error I fooled the motherboard by tapping onto this signal that was provided by the rear case fan and feeding it into the right connector. Problem solved :-)
A part from an extra front fan that would be nice to include in the future, this rig is ready!
dji Flight Simulator runs VERY smooth in the highest settings. Rendering seems to be flawless. I briefly tested some 4K encoding in DaVinci Resolve 15 and this also runs quite nicely.

I wish you all very nice Christmas Holidays!

Cheers,
Frederic.  

2018-12-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules