Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

People tend to prefer unreal colors as they are used/bored to/by reality
Just to confirm this, I created this comparison footage and ~80% prefer left - "pumped" part (bear in mind my usual clips are somewhere in between ;) )
So I post this just for Your fun ;) Enjoy

2018-12-1
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice work Alex.
2018-12-1
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4698533 ft
United States

I could go either way... the 'pumped' is just a bit lifted like you said.. it would be in my book a 'tasteful' lift.. it looks like it might have de-hazed a bit when you did it.. thus I actually prefer the unedited as the nice soft fog / cold misty effect looks more pleasing .. to me ...

love that location... lots of potential there..

solid work
2018-12-1
Use props
JAgraphics
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I too could go either way. It depends on the effect you are looking for.
2018-12-1
Use props
Alexei Merinov
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4796509 ft
Vietnam

Yes, it is - people prefer unreal colors. I observe a similar, when I publish 360 panoramas in real or very strongly corrected color. In the real version, no one looks ...
2018-12-1
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Bulgaria

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 12-1 06:31
I could go either way... the 'pumped' is just a bit lifted like you said.. it would be in my book a 'tasteful' lift.. it looks like it might have de-hazed a bit when you did it.. thus I actually prefer the unedited as the nice soft fog / cold misty effect looks more pleasing .. to me ...

love that location... lots of potential there..

Thank You, I am very new to color manipulations - Davinci Resolve 15 have So many options in this regard I am getting lost - so this one is a bit of playing with the curve ... Sure, a man with knowledge and taste can achieve a lot more (thou I don't think there much room in Mavic pro footage ) but I am learning ... one step at a time ;)
2018-12-1
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
United States

alex_markov Posted at 12-1 09:06
Thank You, I am very new to color manipulations - Davinci Resolve 15 have So many options in this regard I am getting lost - so this one is a bit of playing with the curve ... Sure, a man with knowledge and taste can achieve a lot more (thou I don't think there much room in Mavic pro footage  ) but I am learning ... one step at a time ;)

same boat.. decided to jump in with resolve 15 free for editing video..

I am not a videographer by any stretch.. really have not messed with video I am mostly a still photographer and while some of the principles are the same.. how to achieve it in video is more complex

I have used curves to help remove haze and likely that is why your lifted version seems to have a bit of clarity vs the raw.

if you are not shooting log for contrasty situations .. try it and download some free color correcting luts to help get your video correction started but I usually find manual edits are still required to get where you want it to be

I have also lamented that 15 free basically has lots of features removed.. key among them is noise reduction tools..

I found a video on line where a guy demos a technique to reduce noise and sharpen with the free version by separating the chroma and luma channels then re-combining them.. seemed to work ok but nothing like what resolve noise reduction tools can do.

having fun it the most important part
2018-12-1
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

What mode (d-log, tru-color, ...) was original footage shot in?  

I do prefer pumped version because it helps to see details.  Unedited is to dark.
2018-12-1
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Alex,
Watched it 3 times.
Both were nice ,but if you are looking for more detail my choice was the pumped up version. The sky was a bit bluer and the snow a bit whiter.   

Loved how you did the comparison with the split screen.
2018-12-1
Use props
Sky Carrier
Second Officer
Flight distance : 590102 ft
Netherlands

Well done Alex. I like the pumped version better
2018-12-1
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Bulgaria

B1houdini Posted at 12-1 11:33
Alex,
Watched it 3 times.
Both were nice ,but if you are looking for more detail my choice was the pumped up version. The sky was a bit bluer and the snow a bit whiter.   

Thank You, it wasn't easy (for me ) but I spent some hours doing it - glad you liked it!
2018-12-1
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Bulgaria

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 12-1 11:32
What mode (d-log, tru-color, ...) was original footage shot in?  

D-cinelike (or something like this )  I use only this - tried once D-Log - total disaster for me and I never change my setup again on this bird ;)
2018-12-1
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
United States

alex_markov Posted at 12-1 12:28
D-cinelike (or something like this  )  I use only this - tried once D-Log - total disaster for me and I never change my setup again on this bird ;)

D-log will never come out good out of the aircraft.. it must be processed.

the idea of shooting in log is to give the (digital) camera the ability to capture more information within its bitrate constraints .. generally considered a way to increase the number of stops of dynamic range that can be captured.. think of it as FAKE RAW.

the video is still being compressed but the WAY its compressed gives the editor the ability to push it around a bit more in post to recover detail at the ends of the histogram .. highlights and shadows.

I have a post up here today.. Golden Hour Kick .. something like that.. the last 3 images are video stills from footage shot at or just after sunset.. some as dark as 2EV under exposes according to the camera.. so as to not blow out the sky  .. i will post back a before and after if I can get at it...
2018-12-1
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Bulgaria

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 12-1 14:01
D-log will never come out good out of the aircraft.. it must be processed.

the idea of shooting in log is to give the (digital) camera the ability to capture more information within its bitrate constraints .. generally considered a way to increase the number of stops of dynamic range that can be captured.. think of it as FAKE RAW.

I am aware with the concept of D-log, I even both  LUT to process it in Davinci - but the result was disappointing and on top of this was an important trial ... (D-log was a requirement from the requesting party)
Anyhow - that's history - D-cinelike works for me in my Mavic pro - if someday I switch to another machine I'll try other options then
Here is the result
2018-12-1
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
United States

2018-12-1
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
United States

2018-12-1
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
United States

you would have a hard time getting these results without D-LOG and post
2018-12-1
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Bulgaria

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 12-1 14:15
you would have a hard time getting these results without D-LOG and post

True, but that's why I am not a Real photographer - never shot in RAW never use Photoshop ...
With video, it took me 6 months just to consider editing but no one is stubborn enough to watch the whole unedited flight - so I start editing, but step by step, at first just cutting, then titles, picture in picture... someday might master even color grading ;) but highly unlikely ;)
2018-12-1
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
United States

alex_markov Posted at 12-1 14:27
True, but that's why I am not a Real photographer - never shot in RAW  never use Photoshop ...
With video, it took me 6 months just to consider editing but no one is stubborn enough to watch the whole unedited flight - so I start editing, but step by step, at first just cutting, then titles, picture in picture... someday might master even color grading ;) but highly unlikely ;)

right.. but you are using Resolve.. and the trick is to get a LUT (its like a pre-defined set of edits lighting lookup table I think it stands for) from someplace like ground control .. they have some nice free LUTs for mavic

then tweek with the color wheels .. watch a couple videos on how to use video scopes and histograms to help you set the right amount of lift, shift, gama, etc..

boom..

remember its a journey .. enjoy the ride!!!
2018-12-1
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
United States

alex_markov Posted at 12-1 14:27
True, but that's why I am not a Real photographer - never shot in RAW  never use Photoshop ...
With video, it took me 6 months just to consider editing but no one is stubborn enough to watch the whole unedited flight - so I start editing, but step by step, at first just cutting, then titles, picture in picture... someday might master even color grading ;) but highly unlikely ;)

when you shoot in D-Log ..or anything for that matter.. what style settings are you using?

I use 1-0-0 for example because 0 or less on sharpness is terrible..
2018-12-1
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Bulgaria

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 12-1 15:06
when you shoot in D-Log ..or anything for that matter.. what style settings are you using?

I use 1-0-0 for example because 0 or less on sharpness is terrible..

I think it's 1 0 0 (but I set it sep 2017 ) - from a year and a half, I did not play with settings as I reach some optimum and concentrating on flying ;)
2018-12-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Pumped up version for more detail
2018-12-2
Use props
Atlas_Aus
Second Officer

Thailand

Yes I am with the 80%, I like the left ! Now, how did you do that ?
2018-12-2
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Atlas_Aus Posted at 12-2 03:30
Yes I am with the 80%, I like the left ! Now, how did you do that ?

I did not get the question?
But based on what I've learned I made a "final" version https://forum.dji.com/thread-173802-1-1.html
2018-12-2
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nicely done - thanks again for sharing!
2018-12-2
Use props
Atlas_Aus
Second Officer

Thailand

alex_markov Posted at 12-2 07:19
I did not get the question?
But based on what I've learned I made a "final" version  https://forum.dji.com/thread-173802-1-1.html

Sorry mate,

I meant how did you cut the video in half to show different views ?
2018-12-5
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Atlas_Aus Posted at 12-5 21:13
Sorry mate,

I meant how did you cut the video in half to show different views ?

Davinci Resolve 15 (free) - add 2 Video streams (same video in this case) and in properties of each video crop one from left the other from the right - then color one ... and export - You are ready
2018-12-5
Use props
Atlas_Aus
Second Officer

Thailand

alex_markov Posted at 12-5 22:33
Davinci Resolve 15 (free) - add 2 Video streams (same video in this case) and in properties of each video crop one from left the other from the right - then color one ... and export - You are ready

Thanks,

You have lost me already All good, I am still learning the basics
2018-12-6
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Atlas_Aus Posted at 12-6 00:13
Thanks,

You have lost me already  All good, I am still learning the basics

If You decided to do so - there plenty of Youtube tutorials on how to do it ;)
2018-12-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules