Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Apple iPad
12Next >
5246 67 2018-12-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Crowesnest
lvl.3
Flight distance : 119741 ft
Canada

I see that there are lots of iPhones that can be used with the new Osmo Pocket but can you use an iPad?
2018-12-1
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi Crowesnest, thank you for bringing this query to us. Currently, iPad is not supported with the Osmo Pocket. Thank you.
2018-12-1
Use props
Crowesnest
lvl.3
Canada

DJI Gamora Posted at 12-1 09:44
Hi Crowesnest, thank you for bringing this query to us. Currently, iPad is not supported with the Osmo Pocket. Thank you.

If I don't have an iPhone or at least an iPhone with a lightning port how can I activate the product? My iPad does have a lightning port so I'm a bit dumbfounded as to why DJI would release a product that has such limitations. I want to use the Osmo Pocket as a stand-alone but from what you are telling me I can't do that without having an iPhone. Very strange marketing.
2018-12-1
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Crowesnest Posted at 12-1 13:49
If I don't have an iPhone or at least an iPhone with a lightning port how can I activate the product? My iPad does have a lightning port so I'm a bit dumbfounded as to why DJI would release a product that has such limitations. I want to use the Osmo Pocket as a stand-alone but from what you are telling me I can't do that without having an iPhone. Very strange marketing.

Hi Crowesnest, the Osmo Pocket is not solely for iPhones. It is Android compatible also. Provided that the port of the Android is USB type C and the device should be on the compatibility list. We will be updating the website of which iPhones and Android supported phones. The adaptor is not compatible with Android phones with Micro-USB interface for the time being. Thank you for understanding.
2018-12-2
Use props
Crowesnest
lvl.3
Canada

DJI Gamora Posted at 12-2 00:30
Hi Crowesnest, the Osmo Pocket is not solely for iPhones. It is Android compatible also. Provided that the port of the Android is USB type C and the device should be on the compatibility list. We will be updating the website of which iPhones and Android supported phones. The adaptor is not compatible with Android phones with Micro-USB interface for the time being. Thank you for understanding.

Can you use a Micro-USB to USB Type C adaptor? Again, all I would want to do is activate the device.
2018-12-2
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Crowesnest Posted at 12-2 05:24
Can you use a Micro-USB to USB Type C adaptor? Again, all I would want to do is activate the device.

Hi there, Osmo Pocket cannot be activated through a Micro-USB cable, the Wireless Module, or other methods. Since iPad is too big, when it connects to Osmo Pocket via the lightning adapter, it will affect the camera, therefore, we recommended to use iPad via Wireless Module.
But we can still activate with the iPad ( with lightning port) first, and then connect to iPad with Wireless Module for shooting.
2018-12-2
Use props
Crowesnest
lvl.3
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 12-2 20:23
Hi there, Osmo Pocket cannot be activated through a Micro-USB cable, the Wireless Module, or other methods. Since iPad is too big, when it connects to Osmo Pocket via the lightning adapter, it will affect the camera, therefore, we only support iPad via Wireless Module currently.
You can activate with the phone ( with lightning or USB-C port) first, and then connect to iPad with Wireless Module for shooting.

So if I don't have an iPhone with a lightning connector or a phone with a USB-C port then I can't use this product. Talk about limiting your product sales. I guess I'll have to cancel my order.
2018-12-3
Use props
DJIJAKOB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 740577 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Crowesnest Posted at 12-3 05:41
So if I don't have an iPhone with a lightning connector or a phone with a USB-C port then I can't use this product. Talk about limiting your product sales. I guess I'll have to cancel my order.

Please explain how this is limiting product sales. 99% of new phones have either a USB-C or Lightning port. MicroUSB is a port of the past, you will not see it on new phones or tablets.

If this is that big of a problem for you then I'm sure one of your friends or family have a USB-C or Lightning phone available so that they can activate it for you. After activation you'll be able to use the Osmo Pocket as a standalone camera.
2018-12-3
Use props
Crowesnest
lvl.3
Canada

DJIJAKOB Posted at 12-3 07:46
Please explain how this is limiting product sales. 99% of new phones have either a USB-C or Lightning port. MicroUSB is a port of the past, you will not see it on new phones or tablets.

If this is that big of a problem for you then I'm sure one of your friends or family have a USB-C or Lightning phone available so that they can activate it for you. After activation you'll be able to use the Osmo Pocket as a standalone camera.

Well I guess it is how many people in the world have "new" phones or are willing to purchase a new phone so that they can use this DJI device. It maybe my generation but I am into photography and not into having a new phone every year. I wonder how many phones are out there that don't have a lightning connector or a USB-C connector.
2018-12-3
Use props
DJIJAKOB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 740577 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Crowesnest Posted at 12-3 07:53
Well I guess it is how many people in the world have "new" phones or are willing to purchase a new phone so that they can use this DJI device. It maybe my generation but I am into photography and not into having a new phone every year. I wonder how many phones are out there that don't have a lightning connector or a USB-C connector.

Most phones since 2015/2016 have USB-C as standard. All iPhones since iPhone 5 have Lightning port. But again as I mentioned earlier, you only need a USB-C or Lightning phone for activation and updates. Other than that you can use it alone.
2018-12-3
Use props
Crowesnest
lvl.3
Canada

DJIJAKOB Posted at 12-3 08:07
Most phones since 2015/2016 have USB-C as standard. All iPhones since iPhone 5 have Lightning port. But again as I mentioned earlier, you only need a USB-C or Lightning phone for activation and updates. Other than that you can use it alone.

You maybe right about the phones, however, my iPhone is older than that. I use it as a phone and not for much else. I really don't want to go out and spend several hundred dollars to upgrade it just to use the Osmo Pocket. I have an iPad which I use with my DJI drones cause I found a phone too small for what I need. Now I'm being told that I need to upgrade my phone so that I can use this device. Why can't I use an iPad with a lightning connector to activate it.
2018-12-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

I’m very sorry for this situation but I agree with DJIJAKOB, the phones with Micro-USB port are relatively old, the performance with Osmo Pocket may be not that perfect, but your request of the Micro USB has been forwarded to our engineers for attention.
You can activate the device with the phone with the lightning/Type-C port and then use it normally.
2018-12-3
Use props
nscalernn3
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16565 ft
United States

Crowesnest Posted at 12-3 08:21
You maybe right about the phones, however, my iPhone is older than that. I use it as a phone and not for much else. I really don't want to go out and spend several hundred dollars to upgrade it just to use the Osmo Pocket. I have an iPad which I use with my DJI drones cause I found a phone too small for what I need. Now I'm being told that I need to upgrade my phone so that I can use this device. Why can't I use an iPad with a lightning connector to activate it.

Sorry DJIJAKOB, DJI think you are stupid enough to spend hundreds just to use their product.  They are the ones who are S T U P I D!!!!!
2018-12-3
Use props
Luca Rubino
lvl.4
Flight distance : 711512 ft
  • >>>
Italy

nscalernn3 Posted at 12-3 21:28
Sorry DJIJAKOB, DJI think you are stupid enough to spend hundreds just to use their product.  They are the ones who are S T U P I D!!!!!

Sorry, but it's not to be stupid. It's the fact to face the future. iPhones have lighting port from 2012. More than 6 years (!). And Android smartphones since 2/3 years. Do you want to use a device like Osmo Pocket with an iPhone 3Gs? Or in a 49 euro smartphone with micro USB that can't play 4k videos. Look forward.
2018-12-4
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60394 ft
United Kingdom

Surely just borrow a friends/family iPhone or Andriod that is compatible? Sign in, activate, delete the app. Job jobbed. Admittedly its crap and should not be required, but it is so its an easy work around. Rather than try and make it work with other phones, DJI should really be allowing it to activate via a web app and PC/Mac, but that requires more development and they've clearly decided it only impacts a handful of users and they will nearly all have a friend/family member with a phone that does work.
2018-12-4
Use props
Crowesnest
lvl.3
Canada

Cameleon Posted at 12-4 00:28
Surely just borrow a friends/family iPhone or Andriod that is compatible? Sign in, activate, delete the app. Job jobbed. Admittedly its crap and should not be required, but it is so its an easy work around. Rather than try and make it work with other phones, DJI should really be allowing it to activate via a web app and PC/Mac, but that requires more development and they've clearly decided it only impacts a handful of users and they will nearly all have a friend/family member with a phone that does work.

I can sort of understand the phone part. If I wanted to use a phone with the product then I can see their point. The problem I have is I just want to use the product as a stand-alone device. I have an iPad which has a lightning connector. Why would they not allow you to activate the product with it. It uses the same OS and is capable of running the same app as the iPhone, why make it so that it can't be used. It is the same with android, I have an android tablet but it has a micro USB which again can't be used.

I do a lot of traveling and I want to use this device while travelling. I don't carry friends along with me on my travels so it makes it a little difficult to do an update or if I have to re-activate the device. I would rather be more self-sufficient rather than standing around on a street corner in some distant city asking strangers to borrow their phones so I can update my DJI device.

Somehow from a simple question asking if I can use my iPad to activate this product, it has turned into me looking for friends who have a newer phone than I have. Boy, I feel like I'm 15 all over again.
2018-12-4
Use props
nscalernn3
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16565 ft
United States

Luca Rubino Posted at 12-4 00:11
Sorry, but it's not to be stupid. It's the fact to face the future. iPhones have lighting port from 2012. More than 6 years (!). And Android smartphones since 2/3 years. Do you want to use a device like Osmo Pocket with an iPhone 3Gs? Or in a 49 euro smartphone with micro USB that can't play 4k videos. Look forward.

My phone plays 4k videos just fine.
2018-12-4
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Crowesnest Posted at 12-4 05:55
I can sort of understand the phone part. If I wanted to use a phone with the product then I can see their point. The problem I have is I just want to use the product as a stand-alone device. I have an iPad which has a lightning connector. Why would they not allow you to activate the product with it. It uses the same OS and is capable of running the same app as the iPhone, why make it so that it can't be used. It is the same with android, I have an android tablet but it has a micro USB which again can't be used.

I do a lot of traveling and I want to use this device while travelling. I don't carry friends along with me on my travels so it makes it a little difficult to do an update or if I have to re-activate the device. I would rather be more self-sufficient rather than standing around on a street corner in some distant city asking strangers to borrow their phones so I can update my DJI device.

Don't get me wrong, I think it totally sucks that the device needs to be activated by app of a compatible device, but I do believe DJI did it for the intended reasons. They have decided to get the full experience of the device, you need to be able to use your phone (even though you can use it without) and to force that, you have to use the app and compatible device to activate it. I think they do the same with their drones, at least it was the same experience with my Mavic Air. I do think they should offer to have other ways to activate it, but that you'll probably also be missing out if you don't have a device that is compatible with it. There seems to be a lot of features that need the phone, more than I think most people are realising.
2018-12-4
Use props
Crowesnest
lvl.3
Canada

Cameleon Posted at 12-4 07:40
Don't get me wrong, I think it totally sucks that the device needs to be activated by app of a compatible device, but I do believe DJI did it for the intended reasons. They have decided to get the full experience of the device, you need to be able to use your phone (even though you can use it without) and to force that, you have to use the app and compatible device to activate it. I think they do the same with their drones, at least it was the same experience with my Mavic Air. I do think they should offer to have other ways to activate it, but that you'll probably also be missing out if you don't have a device that is compatible with it. There seems to be a lot of features that need the phone, more than I think most people are realising.

Probably right. I'm just not prepared to go out an spend several hundred dollars more to buy a new phone just to use this product. I have one on order and I've been trying to decide if I should cancel or not. If what you say is true then I think that I would be better off canceling and looking at something else.
2018-12-4
Use props
FlySD
lvl.4
United States

Just borrow someone's phone and activate it.  Problem Solved.  /thread

note: I would't trust a microUSB port to 'hold' the Osmo to begin with.
2018-12-4
Use props
steyr
New

New Zealand

I'm wondering the same thing. I've got an iPad, but I've just bought a new Huawei Nova3i, a 2018 phone with MicroUSB. I guess I'll just have to borrow someone's iPhone.
2018-12-5
Use props
steyr
New

New Zealand

Just want to say there's plenty of android phones released in 2018 without USB type C. Would be great if we can activate the osmo in some other way.
2018-12-5
Use props
RobertW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41818 ft
  • >>>
United States

Is the Osmo Pocket compatible with the Apple IPad Mini 4?  
2018-12-6
Use props
KerryG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11736709 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't see why you wont be able to activate with an iPad so long as you can install the App. We don't even know if that will work or not properly until the final version of the app is released on 12/15. Hang tight guys.
2018-12-6
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
United Kingdom

KerryG Posted at 12-6 13:12
I don't see why you wont be able to activate with an iPad so long as you can install the App. We don't even know if that will work or not properly until the final version of the app is released on 12/15. Hang tight guys.

I'd imagine the app will be limited on Apple App Store so that iPad users cant download it
2018-12-7
Use props
KerryG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11736709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cameleon Posted at 12-7 04:36
I'd imagine the app will be limited on Apple App Store so that iPad users cant download it

Wouldn't make any sense once the Wifi module is available. Just hang in there, we will all have better info in a week in a half.
2018-12-7
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
United Kingdom

KerryG Posted at 12-7 12:21
Wouldn't make any sense once the Wifi module is available. Just hang in there, we will all have better info in a week in a half.

Might not make any sense, but its very clear in their FAQ section (https://store.dji.com/product/osmo-pocket), no iPad listed, althought it says more testing is going.

What app should I download to control Osmo Pocket on my mobile phone?
The DJI Mimo app.

Supported devices
iOS:Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
Compatible with iPhone XS Max,iPhone XS,iPhone XR,iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone SE.

Android:Android version 5.0 or later.
Compatible with Huawei P20, Huawei P10, Huawei Mate 10 Pro, Huawei Mate 10, Huawei Mate 9 Pro, Huawei Mate 9, Honor 10, Honor 9, Vivo NEX, Mi Mix 2S,Mi 8, Mi 6, OnePlus 6T, OnePlus 5T,Google Pixel 2XL,Google Pixel 2.

*Support for additional devices available as testing and development continues.

2018-12-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Cameleon Posted at 12-7 21:52
Might not make any sense, but its very clear in their FAQ section (https://store.dji.com/product/osmo-pocket), no iPad listed, althought it says more testing is going.

What app should I download to control Osmo Pocket on my mobile phone?The DJI Mimo app.

Hi Cameleon, Osmo Pocket supports iPad but only with the Wireless Module. We will keep testing and update the compatible list, thanks for your attention.
2018-12-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

RobertW Posted at 12-6 12:31

Hi RobertW, iPad has the same function with the mobile phone, but it will affect the camera rotation because it is too big when connecting to Osmo Pocket via the lightning adaptor, therefore, we recommended to use iPad with the Wireless Module, thanks for your interest.
2018-12-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

steyr Posted at 12-5 15:15
Just want to say there's plenty of android phones released in 2018 without USB type C. Would be great if we can activate the osmo in some other way.

Hi steyr, Osmo Pocket cannot be activated through a Micro-USB cable, the Wireless Module, or other methods. With the Micro-USB phone connected via the wireless module, App compatibility cannot be ensured currently, sorry for the inconvenience caused.
2018-12-7
Use props
djiuser_UrMSkFx1I0dY
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1306 ft
Thailand

I have 2 devices that I potentially could use, but prior to me buying the Osmo, I'd like confirmation from someone at DJI about using those devices with osmo pocket.

Device 1 - Latest generation ipod touch, which is same specs as iPhone 6, aside from cell functionality. The ipod touch has lightning connector and is on the latest ios version. Will this work?

Device 2 - Sony xperia xz1 compact. This phone is on Android P and has a usb C port. However, it has a screen resolution of only 720p (somewhat unusual resolution nowadays - but great for battery life) .  For this reason, I feel insecure buying Osmo pocket without confirmation about this phone being able to work with it.

I would appreciate a DJI team member sharing some insight on these 2 devices.
2018-12-8
Use props
djiuser_UrMSkFx1I0dY
lvl.2
Thailand

DJI Mindy Posted at 12-7 23:51
Hi steyr, Osmo Pocket cannot be activated through a Micro-USB cable, the Wireless Module, or other methods. With the Micro-USB phone connected via the wireless module, App compatibility cannot be ensured currently, sorry for the inconvenience caused.

I have 2 devices that I potentially could use, but prior to me buying the Osmo, I'd like confirmation from someone at DJI about using those devices with osmo pocket.

Device 1 - Latest generation ipod touch, which is same specs as iPhone 6, aside from cell functionality. The ipod touch has lightning connector and is on the latest ios version. Will this work?

Device 2 - Sony xperia xz1 compact. This phone is on Android P and has a usb C port. However, it has a screen resolution of only 720p (somewhat unusual resolution nowadays - but great for battery life) .  For this reason, I feel insecure buying Osmo pocket without confirmation about this phone being able to work with it.

I would appreciate a DJI team member sharing some insight on these 2 devices.
2018-12-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Hi Crowesnest, I have updated my post in 6# and sent you PM, please check, thank you.
2018-12-9
Use props
Crowesnest
lvl.3
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 12-9 18:44
Hi Crowesnest, I have updated my post in 6# and sent you PM, please check, thank you.

Thanks for the update.
2018-12-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

RobertW Posted at 12-6 12:31

Hi RobertW, I have updated my post in 29#, please check again, thank you.
2018-12-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Crowesnest Posted at 12-9 18:56
Thanks for the update.

No problem, please keep us updated if you have any further concern.
2018-12-9
Use props
djiuser_UrMSkFx1I0dY
lvl.2
Thailand

DJI Mindy Posted at 12-9 19:47
No problem, please keep us updated if you have any further concern.

Hi,

Could you please answer my question in this thread about the 2 devices i have.

I went ahead and ordered an OP, but i am concerned about which devices i can use with the mimo app.

Thanks
2018-12-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

djiuser_UrMSkFx1I0dY Posted at 12-9 19:51
Hi,

Could you please answer my question in this thread about the 2 devices i have.

Hello there, sorry for my late response and appreciate your interest in DJI Osmo Pocket.
1. Osmo Pocket doesn't support iPod.
2. This phone is not in the compatible list which will be released very soon, we cannot ensure the compatibility, it is recommended to have a test in the local retail store before purchasing: https://www.dji.com/where-to-buy ... andsite&from=footer
2018-12-9
Use props
djiuser_UrMSkFx1I0dY
lvl.2
Thailand

DJI Mindy Posted at 12-9 23:45
Hello there, sorry for my late response and appreciate your interest in DJI Osmo Pocket.
1. Osmo Pocket doesn't support iPod.
2. This phone is not in the compatible list which will be released very soon, we cannot ensure the compatibility, it is recommended to have a test in the local retail store before purchasing: https://www.dji.com/where-to-buy ... andsite&from=footer

Thanks for the reply.

I'll test the one i pre ordered and return it if it doesnt work.

It perhaps would have been wise to release a full compatibility list prior to opening pre orders. I have here 2 devices that match the specs required (latest ios, latest android, lightning and usb-c, both capable devices with cpu and ram equal to the handful of devices that have been confirmed), so heres hoping.... You have all your other apps available on ipod... :/

I appreciate you engaging with the community, but dji needs to get itself together and produce software that matches the quality of the hardware.

2018-12-10
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
United Kingdom

djiuser_UrMSkFx1I0dY Posted at 12-10 00:28
Thanks for the reply.

I'll test the one i pre ordered and return it if it doesnt work.

There is a list on the FAQ section, just not sure everyone at DJI knows it exists or updates it! Or mentions which devices will work via Lightning/USB-C and which will only work over Wifi. I'm guessing the current list is only those with full functionality, ie able to have all functions and work with Lightning/USB-C.

https://store.dji.com/product/osmo-pocket (under FAQ seciton, scroll down to "APP")

App
What app should I download to control Osmo Pocket on my mobile phone?
The DJI Mimo app.

Supported devices
iOS:Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
Compatible with iPhone XS Max,iPhone XS,iPhone XR,iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone SE.

Android:Android version 5.0 or later.
Compatible with Huawei P20, Huawei P10, Huawei Mate 10 Pro, Huawei Mate 10, Huawei Mate 9 Pro, Huawei Mate 9, Honor 10, Honor 9, Vivo NEX, Mi Mix 2S,Mi 8, Mi 6, OnePlus 6T, OnePlus 5T,Google Pixel 2XL,Google Pixel 2.

*Support for additional devices available as testing and development continues.

2018-12-10
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules